Home
Posted By: ShortMag11 Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/28/21
Anyone know what projectiles are loaded in this ammo???
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/29/21
I bought some in 308 for my BAR. Shoots good.

My guess is it is a Norma bullet that is not (yet?) available as a component.

It could be sourced from another manufacturer, but with the goal being a lower cost product for deer sized game, I doubt they would absorb the added cost of outsourcing the bullet.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/29/21
I let go a few rounds of 150 grain 308 Win, out of a Christensen Arms Ridgeline this past Sunday. It shot very nicely. I expect to test drive it on whitetails come this November.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/29/21
A SP. LOL. How could you go wrong?
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/30/21
In the Whitetail line, it's a soft-point cup and core bullet.
Posted By: Live2hunt941 Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 09/30/21
set a friends browning x bolt with them they shot darn good under an inch at 100yards
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Yes. Agreed, but what I was asking is, is it a Norma manufactured projectile? Or is it a Hornady Interlock? Federal, Sierra, Corelokt??
Posted By: PennDog Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Bought some in .243 and shot decent (1.5” 3-shot groups) in a Winchester 88 but Federal blue box ammo shot better (1” or slightly less)…..FWIW.

PennDog
Posted By: WAM Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Norma website states that is their flat based soft point bullet. Happy Trails
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Yes. Agreed, but what I was asking is, is it a Norma manufactured projectile? Or is it a Hornady Interlock? Federal, Sierra, Corelokt??

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

WAM's response above is correct.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
The Oryx is the bullet I believe they use. It’s a good bullet but I don’t know if it’s made in house by Norma or a rebadged bullet from another manufacturer. Either way, it’s plenty good for deer.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The Oryx is the bullet I believe they use. It’s a good bullet but I don’t know if it’s made in house by Norma or a rebadged bullet from another manufacturer. Either way, it’s plenty good for deer.

For the price it's retailing for, I have serious doubts it's loaded with Oryx bullets.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Just buy it for the brass and be happy it's not $3 per round like next year...
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
I have tried it in .270 (130), .308 (150) and .300WM (150). It holds about an inch out of an X-Bolt .270 and a M70 .300. I got just under an inch with an M70 Featherlight .308. It seems as good as Federal Power Shok which is what I usually use.

It's definitely not an Oryx bullet. Norma is specific if their ammo is loaded with the Oryx.
Posted By: Milwroad Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Shoots very well out of my pre 64 Model 70 Featherweights 308s. About 3/4" to just under 1 inch out of both of them. A little better than Hornady Whitetail.,
Posted By: beretzs Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Shoots very well out of my pre 64 Model 70 Featherweights. About 3/4" to just under 1 inch out of both of them. A little better than Hornady Whitetail.,

Can’t ask for much better.
Posted By: Milwroad Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/01/21
Nope, that's pretty good for me. Now just have to see how they work on deer if I find one in northern Wisconsin before the wolves do.
The 139s shoot as good or better than 120 TTSXs, (5/8" - 3/4"), out of my 7-08 Montana. I was under the impression that they were Interlocks.

I had to go to them because I can't find any Barnes ammo. I'm sure they will perform just fine on a muley buck.

EDIT: Oops! Apologies, I was referring to Hornady American Whitetail ammo.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by Milwroad
Nope, that's pretty good for me. Now just have to see how they work on deer if I find one in northern Wisconsin before the wolves do.

I’d bet they’ll put the hurt on a buck.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/02/21
Norma makes several different lines of non-bonded bullets. As mentioned above, if it were an Oryx, they'd be talking about it, just like if a company here used a partition.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Just buy it for the brass and be happy it's not $3 per round like next year...

Bought 5 boxes. Hopefully it shoots good, if not it will make some for some damn good brass
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by WAM
Norma website states that is their flat based soft point bullet. Happy Trails

This is what I was looking for. Should be perfect for most of my deer hunting.
Posted By: MS9x56 Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/12/21
I doubt it is an Oryx as they are a bonded bullet more likely the old throw back Alaska, or Vulcan line of cup and core softpoint.
Posted By: JDK Re: Norma Whitetail Ammo - 10/12/21
I bought a couple of boxes of 30-06. Shoots OK in my 7600. Minute of deer but that is about all.
© 24hourcampfire