Home
Recently acquired model 70 black shadow short of replacing the stock is there any hope
Lots of things will strip spray paint from a plastic stock. The chemical you choose just depends on how much effort you want to put in vs. the risk of damaging the stock. (I've never used acetone, but have read that it can be too harsh. I know people who've used oven cleaner and Rapid Remover, which is special graffiti removing stuff in a spray can.) Did it have a clear coat over it or just paint?

PS - is it textured? You could always scuff it up paint over it?
More rattle can....
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
More rattle can....

Yep, hair of the dog...
Try Citristrip(?), it's a citrus based paint stripper and works surprisingly well. Or just paint over it.
Best thing I have found is goof off graffiti remover took it right off a scope I had painted in about 5 min.

On a stock might be different depending on primer they used. I usually use a self etching primer then rattle can. If they did that the answer is more rattle can. If they just sprayed with no primer goof off graffiti remover.
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Try Citristrip(?), it's a citrus based paint stripper and works surprisingly well. Or just paint over it.

Citristrip worked excellent on a Leupold Scope that was painted on a gun I purchased. Worked great!
Originally Posted by Oakster
Originally Posted by ryoushi

Citristrip worked excellent on a Leupold Scope that was painted on a gun I purchased. Worked great!

It also takes the black epoxy crap off Ka-Bar knives as well.

GR
I found that a first crappy coat actually makes a great base for additional coats...lol
Scuff it up with a Scotch Brite pad, then hit it with flat black primer. Then, sponge in some cool colors!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Lots of options...like others have said scotch-brite pad/light sandpaper and paint over or can go chemical route. What others haven't mentioned is sandblasting. My friend has black oxide in his and with the pressure turned down a bit it takes krylon and duracoat off without touching the polymer. Can't go wrong with any of the methods. Good luck and post pics when done!
Use the old paint as primer and sand hell out of it.

Test on something else and then this time...........pay attention.
I'd just get another stock. However, I've camo painted all my duck guns. When they start to show wear i just grab a can of OD green paint and hit it with a few shots. I don't expect it to be pretty, just functional. Ymmv.
Recoat, if and only if the original paint is well adhered. No idea what you have going on. What's failed?
Longshot--nice paint job!
Get the old paint off....I use lacquer thinner a d a rag
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
More rattle can....

And, more Cow Bell.
© 24hourcampfire