Home
Posted By: ingwe Something old/ Something new - 10/13/21
Killed my first deer and first antelope with a Rem 700 BDL in .243

Got a nostalgic craving and since I can't afford the muscle cars I drove when young, I put this together...

Got a 22" factory barrel with sights, cerakoted, from a member here. Went out and bought a new " donor", put an old school Walker trigger in it and found a vintage 60s BDL stock....Bedded it, plopped a Burris 3x9 FFII on top and voila!

The bonus is the MoFo shoots better than my first one those many years ago!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Lovely medium bore, Ingwe. smile
Good looking rig đź‘Ť
Old school rules!
Good looking rifle.
Thats nice ! Wish I would have kept some of my older BDL’s I had , especially the carbines .
That'll never work. grin
Posted By: EdM Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/13/21
Nice big bore.
You're making me feel nostalgic.
My first center-fire was a 700BDL Varmint Special, a mid-1960's model in 243 cal. Super accurate!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/13/21
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You're making me feel nostalgic.
My first center-fire was a 700BDL Varmint Special, a mid-1960's model in 243 cal. Super accurate!

My shooting Pard always wanted one of those in a .222

We absolutely couldnt find one, so I "built" one....he loves it.

Originally Posted by EdM
Nice big bore.

It DOES seem to make alot of noise and kick compared to what I'm used to... laugh
Posted By: GeoW Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/13/21
I like it!
Glad it wasn't a 270...
Originally Posted by bluefish
Glad it wasn't a 270...

I ain't going down that slippery slope...so to speak.
Ewwww.
Very nice!
Now where do you find a 60's era BDL stock? My dad had a 270 (I know) like that that all the sudden I feel a need to replicate...
Sweet!
Two of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned were a 700 ADL in 243 and a BDL in 30-06. Sold the 243 to my nephew and he took his first deer with it and sold the 30-06 to another nephew and he took his first elk with it the next fall... And I gave them killer deals on them... maybe I should have charged them more? wink

Bob
Posted By: tzone Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/13/21
Sweet!!
I’ve got a300win mag bdl that was purchased with my money under my dads name (I was only 16 at the time) I still have the old warhorse Original stock original trigger and barrel. Still shoots around and inch or so at 100. Could have been the only hunting rifle I ever NEEDED but of course we ALL know how that goes
Posted By: SKane Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/14/21
Looking good!
And, ingwe, speaking of something new, I picked up my dad's barreled action from the gunsmith today that wears the new .243 barrel you damned-near gave to him. blush

Thanks again.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Looking good!
And, ingwe, speaking of something new, I picked up my dad's barreled action from the gunsmith today that wears the new .243 barrel you damned-near gave to him. blush

Thanks again.

Excellent! I hope it shoots as well as I expect!
I still have my BDL from 78 in 243 the barrel is getting tired but it still gets it done. The perfect antelope gun Redfield 1.pc base and rings m8 6x36 it's the best f*ck the rest. Mb
Nice looking rifle, especially when compared to all the plastic we see nowadays. I'm becoming a fan of the 243 too.
Posted By: JGray Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by ingwe

Got a nostalgic craving and since I can't afford the muscle cars I drove when young, I put this together...

Got a 22" factory barrel with sights, cerakoted, from a member here. Went out and bought a new " donor", put an old school Walker trigger in it and found a vintage 60s BDL stock....Bedded it, plopped a Burris 3x9 FFII on top and voila!

Nice rifle Tom - not sure I've seen a BDL without the white spacers and like the looks of it.
Very nice, congrats!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/14/21
Originally Posted by JGray

Nice rifle Tom - not sure I've seen a BDL without the white spacers and like the looks of it.

Jerry this one actually HAS the white line spacers, they've just yellowed with age, but the bowling pin finish on the stock is still pretty good after 60 0dd years!
I still have my '70s 700 BDL 300 Win Mag. It is a very good rifle and is still right at 1 inch at 100 yds. Like others it has taken a back seat to others. I also have a '60s Sako Finnebear in .270. It is a great rifle also.
Have a great day.
Jim
Posted By: SKane Re: Something old/ Something new - 10/18/21
Originally Posted by SKane
Looking good!

Thanks again.

Excellent! I hope it shoots as well as I expect!

Pops just sent this to me - it looks like it's got potential. laugh
© 24hourcampfire