Home
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Barrel break in - 10/22/21
I recently purchased a Bergara rifle and in the owners manual it recommends a barrel break in. Is it really necessary? How much of a real world difference will it make?
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Que the bacon neck in THREE, TWO, ONE ..........
Posted By: ironbender Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by troutfisher13111
I recently purchased a Bergara rifle and in the owners manual it recommends a barrel break in. Is it really necessary? How much of a real world difference will it make?

Break in is accomplished by shooting it. 😉
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
I plan on shooting it. They recommend cleaning after every shot for the first 5 rounds then every 10 shots for the next 50
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
I plan on shooting it. They recommend cleaning after every shot for the first 5 rounds then every 10 shots for the next 50

Waste of time IMHO
Posted By: troutfisher13111 Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
That was my thought. Probably shouldn’t have wasted my time asking a question I already knew the answer too
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21

Bergara Barrel break-in process:
Load & shoot until a reasonable accuracy is accomplished.
Posted By: mathman Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Clean it well before the first shot. Shoot it twenty times getting the scope roughed in while you familiarize yourself with the rifle. Rinse and repeat.
Posted By: mathman Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Posted By: gunnut308 Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Shoot repeat
Shoot repeat
Shoot repeat
And keep on keeping on…
Posted By: Craigster Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
How many times has the dead horse been beaten ?
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21

0 REAL WORLD DIFFERENCE
Posted By: ingwe Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

Waste of time IMHO

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Shoot it. When you are done, clean it.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Barrel break in - 10/22/21
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jwp475

Waste of time IMHO

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

Shoot it. When you are done, clean it.

Wait, what? We’re supposed to clean them? When did that start?
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Que the bacon neck in THREE, TWO, ONE ..........

Lol.......
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21

I break mine in per Jim Carmichael's instructions.

Does it work? Can't be proved nor disproved.

But...every new factory rifle I've done the break in procedure with, the bore cleans easy. That alone is worth something.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
If Bergara's break-in procedure is that easy why not try it?...it certainly wont hurt anything......Good luck..Hb
Posted By: woodson Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by Craigster

He has a new rifle and is excited. We all have been there.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by mathman
Clean it well before the first shot. Shoot it twenty times getting the scope roughed in while you familiarize yourself with the rifle. Rinse and repeat.

That’s about like my game. No need to go nuts.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Originally Posted by Craigster

No more than a couple. 😊
Posted By: las Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
The horse don't care.

Does it help? Dunno. Can't hurt, can it ? - and it is a one time only thing.

As said, ut can be done while dialing in the scope, or loads. No "wasted" ammo there.

Never done it, myself.
Posted By: hanco Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Clean before, after sighting in, go hunting, clean yearly if it’s been shot much, if not run a patch with oil through it.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21
Frankly break in is more of an awareness thing that a rifle is going to group better after 50-200 shots that it will day 1.

The nice thing is (for me as a gunsmith) is when a customer tells me the bullets touch even before they are done breaking it in…

Well I get to say - don’t worry, it will get better once it’s broken in.

smile
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Barrel break in - 10/23/21

WOW, did you ever pick the wrong site to ask that question !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do it but obviously one of the few, some on this site throw their guns on the ground to break them in !!!!!!!!!
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Barrel break in - 10/24/21
Yeah not too many guys on this site believe in maintaining their rifles, most guys on the campfire ( or at least the ones that post on the subject) ride em hard and put em up wet 😂......Hb
Posted By: GeoW Re: Barrel break in - 10/24/21
Boots require break in... barrels not so much.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Barrel break in - 10/24/21

the throat is what breaks in for most lapped barrels.. the cleaning thing is another subject.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Barrel break in - 10/24/21

I don’t think that will hurt you or the barrel to do that. Might take a little time on the first day but you only have yourself to please!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Barrel break in - 10/24/21
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I break mine in per Jim Carmichael's instructions.

Does it work? Can't be proved nor disproved.

But...every new factory rifle I've done the break in procedure with, the bore cleans easy. That alone is worth something.

I’ve done the shoot and clean after each of the first 10 shots, then after five shots till 50 rounds have been fired. I only do on custom barrel guns. They all shoot exceptionally well after doing this. Would they with out the break in/cleaning, we will never know.
If you don’t believe it can help accuracy, then don’t do it.
© 24hourcampfire