Home
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Anybody have one built?

I have a Winchester 70 stainless/synthetic in .375hh thats not getting any use.

Thinkin about turning it into something cool.

8mm rem mag, maybe a .358 STA. Would go with a decent synthetic stock, stainless barrel.

Do I need? Hell no.

Any experiences with the Big 8?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21

I vote 358
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
If you can stand to give up a little bit of performance, perhaps consider the 325WSM? Otherwise, if you want to go bad (in the good way), perhaps a 33 Nosler or, if you were really wanting something unique that shoots powerful, expensive ammo maybe a 33 Nosler necked to 8mm. I myself have pondered this particular cartridge and what it would do... probably ~150+ fps over the 325.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Beretta Shooter916;
Good evening sir, I hope the day's been a good one for you and this finds you well.

Going off of an increasingly foggy memory bank here, a shooting buddy had a Remington 700 Classic back when they brought out a different cartridge every year in the Classic. Unless I'm way off in my timeline, I want to say it was the late '80's or possibly the early '90's.

We chronographed a few different loads with it and it was fully capable of reaching the velocities stated in the manuals and gave decent accuracy as well.

The biggest issue he had with it was that there weren't a lot of different bullet choices back then and with things the way they are, it might be better or worse now, I'm not sure.

Sorry I can't give you better and more up to date information, but good luck with the build whichever way you decide.

Dwayne
Posted By: 358WCF Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Another 358 vote. The barrel will last longer than the STW.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I'm fond of the 8mm Rem Mag largely because it is one sexy looking round. I never got one and they are few and far between over here now. I ended up getting a 325WSM though, and the ballistics aren't too far behind the Rem. I haven't shot anything that bleeds with it yet.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Thanks for the replies so far!

Its either gonna be a big 8 or a 358sta.

I definitely need one to shoot 140 pound deer at 125 yds LOL

I am leaning 8mm just for the cool factor.

Barrel maker recommendation?
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I worked with a friends 700 bdl in the mid 90's recoil wise they are very abusive. A good limbsaver or R3 pad would have worked wonders. Finally got 200 npt's grouping under an 1 1/4" and told him it was ready to go. Rumor back then was the 185 grain Rem Corelokt did not hold up well at 3000 fps +. A FEW YEARS BACK I found a couple of 100 ct bags of them. I bought them for my 8×57. Mb
Posted By: mathman Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I got over my desire to burn 80+ grains of powder at a lick. Now when I want "cool factor" and something everyone else at the camp doesn't shoot I bring my 700 Classic in 250 Savage. grin
Posted By: slm9s Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
If you have a 375H&H and want something different - do you have a 300H&H? A switch barrel 300/375H&H would be cool.
Otherwise neck that 8mm brass down and get a 7STW!
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I owned a Sako 75 Stainless/Synthetic in 7STW.

Cool gun

Shot a few deer with it

Moved on to other things.

With the 8mm am intrigued by the 220 Sierra game king and also the 220 Swift A Frame.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916

With the 8mm am intrigued by the 220 Sierra game king and also the 220 Swift A Frame.

Those along with the Woodleigh 220 bullet were the ones that ended up being interesting. The disappointing thing was how much better .338 was in terms of bullets.

In .358 the only bullet that looks interesting is the partition.

Of the two I'd go 8mm.
Posted By: kingston Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I have a couple full boxes of original 8mm Remington Mag ammo.
Posted By: Benbo Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
8 mag all the way!

Several years ago a good buddy of mine inherited an old 700 bdl 8mm mag. I had always wanted one but never could find one. I ordered dies, brass and bullets and we loaded ammo for his rifle. 180 tsx and H4350 were wicked killers. He used it in white tails and a few tx exotics. A few years later I found one and also shot 180TSX. It hits deer HARD. It does have some recoil but I’m not particularly recoil sensitive and it never bothered me even off the bench. 3-4 years ago I took it to Africa. Eland we’re on the list so I decided to load 200TSX for the trip. My PH saw the rather long case and was a bit nervous, afraid that I’d be more afraid of the rifle than the game we were hunting. I shot a few zebra, a kudu and an eland among other game. After seeing how well a properly aimed 8mag killed game he offered to let me go after a Cape buffalo another hunter had wounded but we never got the opportunity. I have no doubt the cartridge and bullet were up to the task. Both of our rifles shoot extremely well, recoil isn’t as bad as most say it is and a well constructed well aimed 8mm bullet is an extremely effective killer. I’m all in for the 8 mag. Good luck on your rifle.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by slm9s
If you have a 375H&H and want something different - do you have a 300H&H? A switch barrel 300/375H&H would be cool.
Otherwise neck that 8mm brass down and get a 7STW!

I’d be tempted by the 300 H&H as well. Maybe 300 WBY or a 300 Jarrett if I had to be different.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
.358 Norma for hunting.

One of the big .33s for carrying the mail downrange.

If it were mine, I’d cobble together some tricky reduced loads using cast or .375 Win bullets and terrorize the local whitetails.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
If it was me I would leave it alone. The 375 H&H is very versatile. If you must change it I say go big. 416 Rem Mag or 458 Lott.

Well I didn't see page 2. We will see what others think.
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by mathman
I got over my desire to burn 80+ grains of powder at a lick. Now when I want "cool factor" and something everyone else at the camp doesn't shoot I bring my 700 Classic in 250 Savage. grin

I like the way you think.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
I had 3 built and one factory. That was back in the day where the only real option for premium bullets was a 200 grain partition. As for high ballistic coefficient bullets was the 220 Sierra game King. Today there's a plethora of premium bullets that can withstand this kind of power on game. I had great luck with reloader 22 reloader 25 and H 4831 nowadays I would add reloader 26 to the mix
Posted By: jwall Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by Showdog75
Originally Posted by mathman
I got over my desire to burn 80+ grains of powder at a lick.

I like the way you think.

Well then, optimum loads for the 8 R M is not your cup of tea.
It will be in the neighborhood of 80 or 80+ grains of powder to push 200--220 gr bullets 3000--3100 fps.
Ask JRS.

I've had one a long time and there are a few of us here who own or owned them.
From personal experience MY BDL 8 RM hurts LESS than shooting a Ruger 77 OG tanger in 338 WM.
Don't believe me simply try and compare them.

You'll probably be happier shooting "The Man Bun" or 250 Savage or 223 Rem.

Jerry
Posted By: whitearrow Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
remington's big 8 all the waaaaay.
Big Ed
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
All the bullet technologies for medium bores are in the 6.5mm, 7mm, .308 and .338 class. No 8mm. Even prior to heavy and fast twist bullets and barrels the 8mm lagged way behind. The .30 magnums have all the latest components and will outshine any 8mm at distance, the .33 magnums have more horsepower
and much better components as well. The 8mm Rem Mag is pretty anemic for the amount powder it requires. Going into a 3.6 cartridge length and staying nostalgic the 300 H&H would be nice. The .30 cal eld-x at 2,850 fps will outshine any 8mm in the game field and it has history to boot.
Posted By: pacecars Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Now if you want to be really unique you could go with the 8x68S
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
8x68 Shuler
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Get the 8mm mag and go forth and kill deer with it.
Posted By: hanco Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Get the 8mm mag and go forth and kill deer with it.

That’s what I say, always wanted one
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
I’ve have 2 of the 700 classics in 8mm mag, and one in 8x57. I also have a 325 wsm model 70 classic in a McMillan. I have yet to kill anything with the 8mm mags, but the shoot sub MOA with both 160gr TTSX, 180gr TSX and 200gr AB. It is just a matter of taking them to the field. Recoil is not severe as some have stated or at least to me it wasn’t. You could also load it down a bit if needed.

I have taken a decent sized buck with the 325 wsm using 170gr Speer Hot-cor. I was pushing it over 3000 FPS, but the bullet held up well and exited. Golf ball sized exit hole. Deer dropped immediately which was exactly what I needed that combo to do.

I love the 8mm caliber.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
I went in a hardware store this morning and they actually had a box of 8mm Remington Magnum on the shelf 185 gn.
Posted By: mathman Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I went in a hardware store this morning and they actually had a box of 8mm Remington Magnum on the shelf 185 gn.

Thirty year old packaging?
Posted By: hotsoup Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
I have a bud who owned one, a very attractive BDL, which he purchased just for deer hunting. He said he was tired of tracking deer and wanted a gun that would kill em dead. He called the rifle "hooves in the air". He kept it 2 years, then sold it for a song due to its recoil. I shot it a few times to zero it for him. Recoil was more than I wanted.
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
I've got an 8mag in a Classic. About 3 yrs ago I stopped at Bob's Army/Navy in Clearfield, Pa on the way home from deer hunting. Asked about 350 mag and 8 mag ammo.
No 350, but 8 mag I have. Asked how many boxes ya have? He said how many ya want? I said give me 3. Glad I didn't take all. They were $80 a box then. God knows what he's asking now'
200 gr AccuBonds. Haven't shot any, mostly shooting 200gr reloads. Game Kings, I think. Reloaded by a friend of mine.
Posted By: Bluecat1 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
I went and checked my stash. Remington ammo from Bob's are 200gr Swift A-Frames. Listed vel. is 2970.
Posted By: Slope77 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/04/21
Think I’d shoot for some flavor of 338 before 8mm
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/05/21
Originally Posted by Bluecat1
I went and checked my stash. Remington ammo from Bob's are 200gr Swift A-Frames. Listed vel. is 2970.

I stop by a gun shop and spotted 2 boxes of the 200gr A-frames on the shelf. Asked them what they wanted anc the guy behind the counter said make him an offer. I said $25 a box. He accepted almost before I got it out of my mouth. Said he had them for 10-15 years and was afraid they would never sell.

Local gun shop is a Weatherby dealer and has 5-6 boxes of same ammo. Asking 75-80/box. Asked if they were open to offers and they said no. I have a couple hundred pieces of virgin brass and dies so I think I’m good for awhile.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/09/21
Looked old. They also had a box of 250 Savage that looked older.
Posted By: GreggH Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/09/21
Always thought the 8 was a cool round. Just don’t have the game here for one. But then again when has that ever come in to consideration?
GreggH
Posted By: Windfall Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/10/21
A classic foot shot with either cartridge. If you already have a .375 H&H, just leave it the hell alone until the urge to cobble it into a sows ear passes. I can't remember the last time I saw anything big enough that would need any of those, but I have at least seen .375 H&H ammunition on the store shelves, but NEVER either of your two proposed cartridges.
Posted By: sambo3006 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/10/21
I have an 8mm mag built on a 700 action with a Rock Creek barrel in a McMillan Game scout stock. It is stupid accurate with 200 grain Partitions. No brake on it so you can't baby it off the bench but it is an honest half inch gun. When verifying my zero at 200 yards it put 3 in a 0.4 inch group. 100 yard groups are routinely half inch or less. I was shooting 3150 fps but backed off to 3050 fps with a noticeable decrease in recoil. I've taken 3 whitetails, 3 bears and a big 6x6 bull elk with it. They were all impressed.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/11/21
I dont care if there are factory loads available or not.

I dont care if 8mm rem or 358 sta are overkill on Michigan deer

Just want a different rifle. Doesn't have to make sense or be practical
Posted By: mart Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/11/21

Spoken like a true rifle looney. Preach it brother.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/11/21
Originally Posted by mart

Spoken like a true rifle looney. Preach it brother.

Just poking at the op a little Mart because I knew if the op didn’t say that, the choir would be along shortly. Reminds me of my buddy who wouldn’t own a .30-06 because it was too common. smile
Posted By: mart Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/11/21
That's partly why I don't currently have a 30-06. Watching a couple of interesting ones right now. Not opposed to an 06 just want one that's unique.

I'm all about the unusual rifles and less loved rounds. A left handed 8mm mag would make me swoon.

I never got the overkill thing. Does overkill mean the cow caribou (about the size of a large whitetail) I shot this year with a 375 H&H is over dead? It doesn't taste over dead.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/14/21
always fun (not) to see ignorant Fudds recite tales from 50 years ago that don't apply today

the dumbest fable is how there just ain't any good bullets in 8mm , biggest lie ever told today

I had all these in 2015 for the photo shoot and there's been more added since

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Hammer makes a couple really good ones too

there's the 250 gr Woodleigh Weldcore RN SN bullet for those who like to smash things up close

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
no long range bullets in 8mm ? or cartridges ?

really ? then make your own ....,,,,,,

...[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
these four bullets will do anything you'd ever want to do with an 8mm Rem Mag

....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Thanks for the replies so far!

Its either gonna be a big 8 or a 358sta.

I definitely need one to shoot 140 pound deer at 125 yds LOL

I am leaning 8mm just for the cool factor.

Barrel maker recommendation?

Bartlein made my 10 twist barrel , fastest twist they make in 8mm for one barrel orders, need to order a dozen or more to get a faster twist run of barrels, no exceptions

Pac Nor made a 9 tw barrel for me before the fire

KS Arms out of Canada made my 7tw 8mm barrel, I'd call them first as they have the capabilities to make almost any twist barrel possible, they just made me a few 7.5 tw in 30 cal and would have made 6 tw if I wanted, they can flute barrels in house as well

Posted By: beretzs Re: 8mm rem mag - 11/14/21
That’s cool stuff SL.

Need to check out the Hammers for my little 325. Right now I’m slumming 180 BT at nearly 3100. It’s plenty for deer.

OP, either 358 or 8mm would be pretty danged cool and different. And I’d bet a buck deer will get the good news fast.
Nosler makes the 180 gr E-Tip all copper bullet in 8mm

NOSLER E-TIP BULLETS

Posted By: LJB3 Re: 8mm rem mag - 12/03/21
I had one for a long time, it was a Remington Safari grade out of the Remington custom shop, mid eighties build. It was a nice rifle, but it was a bit heavy and didn't really do anything my .300 Weatherby, which shot a little flatter didn't already do, nor did it have the heavier bullet selection at the time that my .338 did.
Cool rifle in a cool caliber, if you want one and you are a handloader go for it, lots more bullets to choose from now days. I did have a bunch of 220 grain 8mm Swift A frames at one point, but my rifle just would not shoot those, it did like the 220 gr Sierra's. Eventually I ended up with a .340 Weatherby, and that rifle gave me the ballistics I was looking for in the 8 Mag, excellent cartridge.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 8mm rem mag - 12/04/21
How does 8 mag recoil compare to a 300wm or 35 Whelen? (I always thought the 300wm was more of a sharp snap than a big push. The Whelen to me is more of an elongated push.)
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: 8mm rem mag - 12/04/21
I have a couple of 8 mag in 700 classic, recoil is not bad at all. I would compare it to a 300 WM. My 35 whelen classic had me re recoil in my opinion
© 24hourcampfire