Home
Many of us have old rifles in our collections that are relegated to wall hanger or safe queen. What are the oldest rifles you regularly hunt with?

Mine are a couple of drillings, top 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R 1907 and bottom 1926 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

My oldest hunting rifle is a '63 Rem 760
Next my '69 Python.
Killed deer w em both.
My grandfather's model 54 .30-06..
1909 made 1899A Savage short rifle in 303 Savage with a Marble's peep on it. Sierra 110gr Varminter over Accurate 4064 is an effective coyote load out to 150 yards or so. My shooting isn't good enough to push it much farther than that.
Late 60s Model 100 in 243.
Model 721 in 300H&H circa 1953.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A Remington Autoloading Rifle which later became the Model 8. It regularly comes with when deer or bear hunting. I'll often carry it when tracking down a bear. Serial number is in the low 3 digits.
1928 Sav 99 30 WCF
There is a late Rifle season in the Special Regulations Areas and you're allowed straight wall cartridges. I have a Doe tag for that season and I'm going to use my 1884 Trapdoor Springfield 45-70
Not *that* old but a 1952 Winchester 70 in 30-06. Started the season with a '48 but i like this one better. It'll have a 2-7x33 VX-R on it next time I'm home.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
That's Purdy!
last year i used a 256 Newton made around 1917 ,i handloaded 20 cartridges sighted old rifle in and shoot a doe at 75 yards ,this old rifle had a long skinny very old Weaver scope on it too.
Mauser sporter proofed in 1915. Also M-S carbine from 1919.
A 50 year old Marlin 336 in .30-30.
Not sure if this qualifies - a FN early 50s action, Krieger barrel in 30-06, Timney, sitting in an old but excellent Garrett Acculite Kevlar stock, all done in TR Gunkote. It’s been a very good go-to rifle.
Probably this 50's vintage Pre-64 FWT that started out as a .243. The bore was bad, so I had JES re-bore it to .358 Winchester. I killed my last deer with it a week or so ago.

I had a 1910 vintage '92 .38-40 Winchester, but didn't hunt with it. I finally sold it, as I wasn't using it.

DF

An M1 Garand.
Model 8 Rem in 35Rem. Circa 1929
03 springfield in the 1,000,000 range 30-06 of course occasionally a 1859 Sharps conversion gun 50 - 2 1/2". Alsocarry a97 win made in 1903bird hunting sometimes. .mb
First model Remington 700. Has accounted for a few cow elk.
I have a bunch of old rifles I plan to hunt with, someday. But the oldest
I I have hunted with is a Remington 725 in 270 win. Very nice rifle and nice condition
I need to win the lottery so I can pay for enough hunts to use all the rifles I have planned to use
Jeff
These two were taken last week with a 1987 Remington Classic in 338 win mag.

1943 Remington 1903A3 sporterized sometime in the mid sixties. No scope. Lyman peep. Still an ‘06 and shoots 200 partitions very well.
Originally Posted by nathanial

What in the world is that?
Originally Posted by Fireball2

It's obviously not, but "bolt action model 94" is what immediately popped into my head. Interested to learn about this one.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Probably this 50's vintage Pre-64 FWT that started out as a .243. The bore was bad, so I had JES re-bore it to .358 Winchester. I killed my last deer with it a week or so ago.

I had a 1910 vintage '92 .38-40 Winchester, but didn't hunt with it. I finally sold it, as I wasn't using it.

DF

That's what a rifle is supposed to look like.

First year Winchester Model 1892
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Roy do believe that is a Remington Keene bolt gun in 45-2.1" but I suppose it could be chambered for something else..mb
for me it'd be a pair of Winchester .303 brits both made in 1915-16. One's a p-14, the other a 1895. they were out this weekend during gun deer season.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

That's what a rifle is supposed to look like.

Thanks.

It's been a ongoing project with lots of turns and twists, including a number of scope and ring options.

Here a link to the rather contorted details... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...50649/re-358-win-pre-64-fwt#Post16650649

DF
1917 Enfield.

Remington Hepburn 38-55 Rio7
Nothing too old. My Browning B78 in 6mm AI is the oldest, but the exact date of manufacture is ??? as the serial number does not follow the documented pattern. The guess based on how other Browning guns were numbered at the time is 1973, but that's just a guess.

There's not too many older cartridges I have much interest in, or at least most of them need re-working. I shoot a .50-110, but it's fast twisted and the Browning action was made in the 90s some time.
1920's Model 99
This Winchester 1895 from about 1914 in 35 Winchester. I got a doe with it last year. It will get another chance later this week. So far this year I haven't been able to arrange a meeting between it and a deer.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This Winchester 1895 from about 1914 in 35 Winchester. I got a doe with it last year. It will get another chance later this week. So far this year I haven't been able to arrange a meeting between it and a deer.

I recently acquired one very similar in 303Br and hope to arrange a similar meeting between it and a Vancouver Island Blacktail
Originally Posted by 338reddog
I I have hunted with is a Remington 725 in 270 win. Very nice rifle and nice condition
I need to win the lottery so I can pay for enough hunts to use all the rifles I have planned to use
Jeff

If it's not too much trouble post a pic of your 725. I'm a model 70 guy but I do like remington 725s.
Winchester Model 1886 built in 1891. Originally a 45-90. was rebarreled to a 33 Win.

The oldest rifle that I have hunted with is probably a sporterized 1896 Krag that I used to have.
My 1895 Wins range in dates from 1905 to 1920. I have taken deer, elk, and nilgai with most of them.
Originally Posted by erich
Many of us have old rifles in our collections that are relegated to wall hanger or safe queen. What are the oldest rifles you regularly hunt with?

Mine are a couple of drillings, top 16ga/16ga/9.3x72R 1907 and bottom 1926 16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer.

I hunt with a 16X16/9.3X72R drilling that I got this fall as well!
I haven't killed any four legged critters with it yet, but have killed roosters, sharptails, and ruffed Grouse with it so far!

Cat

Last/only deer killed with it, has been slightly "modernized" since was a previously modified gray rat laugh Takedown in .300

Not sure.
An 1892 manufactured around 1900. Or a couple of Krags about same time period, possibly older.
I’ve had a couple others that have left for happier hunting grounds WW I vintage. And I don’t know what year my smelly was made - first model.
I almost had a 35 Winchester in my hands, but the seller had remorse just in time to keep the rifle - damn.
A 1936 Savage 99EG 300 Savage is the oldest one I still actually hunt with. I hope to take a deer with it this season.
1894 Winchester rifle 26" octagon, 32 WinSpl. Made in 1907.
"Trapdoor" Model 1884 Springfield, made in 1889--but plan to hunt soon with another trapdoor, an 1866 first-year Allin conversion, which shoots just as well.

Since several have mentioned shotguns, rather than rifle, the oldest shotgun have hunted with is a W.W. Greener side-by-side 12-gauge boxlock ejector, with Damascus barrels, made in 1895. Killed my first pheasant with it over a month ago.
Rem. Model 760 circa 1953 in 30-06. It was my Dad's.
1927 M94
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"Trapdoor" Model 1884 Springfield, made in 1889--but plan to hunt soon with another trapdoor, an 1866 first-year Allin conversion, which shoots just as well.

I had an 1866 sold out from under me once upon a time. Gave the guy about 1/4 down to hold it, came back the next day with the rest of the money after I'd been to the bank to get the rest of the cash, and he had sold it to another guy. I was absolutely furious, never went back to that shop ever again. 😠

That's the only 50-70 Springfield I've ever seen in person, too... not a single one before or since.
1898 Krag sporter, now and then. 1918/1919-vintage Savage M1899 .250-3000 takedown, occasionally. Next oldest is a 1929-vintage M1903 Springfield NRA Sporter. Until I get the cataract fixed that is just barely getting a toehold in my right eye fixed there isn't much I can do with them because they all wear iron (aperture) sights.
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by 338reddog
Jeff

If it's not too much trouble post a pic of your 725. I'm a model 70 guy but I do like remington 725s.

I am not sure how to post pics on this site. I will take some and try though
Its uncut and in very nice condition. It has a crazy story about how I got it. Short version at a gun show a dealer has it quotes a price then does not want to sell it. His wife tells him he is nuts. So he decided he would want a trade instead. I head home to get trade fodder. Deal done.
Then I am set up at a show and needed some more rifles on my table put a high price on it and a guy buys it. He also buys my win model 64. I had missed both of those rifles, bought them both back a few months ago
The oldest I use regularly is a circa 1930 99 Savage with a tang aperture sight in .303 Savage. I’ve killed deer and caribou with it and, with the.410 barrel, spruce grouse. My brother used it to kill the biggest caribou either of us have ever killed.

I used to hunt sometimes with a 1920’s vintage’92 SRC in .44-40, but a friend was looking for a small easy to handle rifle for his daughter to kill her first deer with. I let him take the ‘92 and enough loads to learn the rifle. She killed a deer with it. When he called about bringing it back I said she could keep it. A kid shouldn’t have to give up their first deer rifle.
1953 vintage Winchester M/70 Super Grade that's been rebored to .35 Whelen.
1923 Carl Gustaf 6.5x55

Already planning on hanging meat with it in 2023.

GE
Early Rem 760 in 35 Remington. I have never looked up the date on it but it was bought by my Father in law when he was young....
I've taken one small buck with it just for old times sake.
Used my Dads` Savage Model 20, 250-3000 for my buck this year. Don`t know what year this rifle was made tho. Also use a 91 Mauser, made in 1900.
Sharps carbine.. 1863. Originally paper cartridge but converted to 50-70 Govt in 1865 following Civil War.
Serial number is not specifically listed but within a 20 gun range issued to 10th Ill Vol Cav. in 1863.

I also still hunt with a Springfield TD carbine Model 1879, circa 1880
1860’s SxS .72 caliber muzzleloader. Shot one doe with it so far.
Likely this Erfurt 8x57 Mauser.

Oldest I've hunted with are a Savage 99 300 Sav and pre-64 M70 300 H&H, both from the mid-1950's. Oldest I own is a '96 Swede made in 1899 but haven't hunted with it - unfortunately Bubba got ahold of it before me...

I don't know.

I used to hunt a fair bit with my re-barreled Remington Hepburn (made 1880-1904) but I have no idea exactly how old it actually is.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Can’t post photo’s but I shot a nice 5x5 with a prewar .303 Savage model 99. Really nice rifle. Aperture sight.
The oldest rifle I hunt with is my .338-06, that turned 20 this year.
I have a couple old rifles that were my grandfathers but of the rifles i regularly hunt with three years old is my oldest....Hb
A sporterized Remington 1903A3 made in 1943. I got it in 1978-ish

I have killed a bull elk, Coues whitetail bucks, and a mule deer buck with it

It’s no longer my go to rifle as I needed to find a flatter shooting and longer range rifle for hunting my favorite game animal, Coues whitetail

That said however, my son in law is going to use that 1903A3 this very weekend as I take him on his first bull elk hunt near Flagstaff
'54 M1 Garand that I carry every day on my 5 mile strolls in the hills. It's taken all manner of problem critters and dinner.
A swede I sporterized years ago that was made before 1900, I forget the exact year. I have taken quite a few deer with it and they were all impressed with it.
P.O. Ackley Mauser chambered 7x57...
My Sporterized P1917, my favorite hunting rifle of all time.

A 70s vintage 700 BDL in .243 I " built" out of 70 vintage part ( mostly...)

1949 BRNO ZKW 465 22 Hornet.

Attached picture Hornet1.jpg
Marlin 336 in .30-30, made in 1951. It gets the starting spot every season.
Originally Posted by Gaviidae_Esq
1923 Carl Gustaf 6.5x55

Already planning on hanging meat with it in 2023.

GE
I use a 1908 Gustaf in 6.5x55 on Groundhogs.
1955 Model 70 Featherweight in Winchester 270.
1871 Swiss Vetterli converted to centerfire.
Ballistics match a 44 Magnum with smokeless and 320 gr cast bullet..
The rifle Custer wishes he had.
1954 Model 70 300 H&H. That rifle earned the nickname Buckbuster several years ago.
I've used a Springfield 1873 Trapdoor rifle in 45-70, made in 1888. It's been in our family since that time.

The load is a Lee 405 grain hollowbase bullet sized at .460" with 60 grns of Goex Express 2fg. I've carefully replaced the standard front side blade with a much taller copper penny sight, as with the factory front sight blade the rifle shot over a foot high at 100 yds. The rear sight is a Buffington.

2 cow elk so far...
My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 bought with paper route money. It was stolen a couple of years later. A 30/30 Marlin 336 that I killed my first deer with is the oldest deer rifle that I still have. I like it for the sentimental value.
Depends. I have a swede built on a husky action. And a Remington 721 from 1953. Not sure which is older.
Alexander Henry 1872 patent falling block in 500/450 x 3 1/4 inch BPE circa 1885
1930's German Guild gun. Built on a Mexican small ring; chambered in 9x57:

‘03 Springfield that’s been sporterized. 545,000 serial number range gets used with starting loads. Wish I could post pictures but I’m pretty incompetent at that.
30-40 Krag 1900 manufacture
1917 Enfield 1917 manufacture
Winchester M54 30 WCF 1931 manufacture
My sporterized 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser turned 100 this year. It's one of those that Kimber sporterized in the mid 1990's which is now in a Bell & Carlson stock, a Dayton Traister trigger and a few other goodies. The "1922" stamp on the receiver ring is still visible behind the front scope base. If I were more tech savvy I'd post a picture but this web site is a pain for that.
Winchester 1892 made in 1893 . 38/40
1881 Swiss Vetterli converted to center-fire.
1898 Krag Cav Model ( 24 inch barrel, still factory one from 1898) only 5,000 of them were made.

1917 Enfield Winchester Action, but Remington Barrel on it.

1919 Karl Gustaf Mauser in 6.5 x 55, original Military condition.
Originally Posted by weagle
1930's German Guild gun. Built on a Mexican small ring; chambered in 9x57:

Like that Georgia "Craftsman" built outhouse in the background !

By the way, my brother lives in Sandy Springs also...
My oldest is my Krag made in 1900. At 122 years young it can still get it done…..its owner doesn’t seem to be much help though. 😂

Still the old pair of Winchester 303 Brits. The P-14 took a nice eating doe on opening weekend for one of my oldest friends 14 year old son. Believe it or don't, some of the younglings know how to use peep sights. In his case, writing cursive, reading analog watches, and driving manual transmission cars are also part of his skill set. Remember when despairing for the newb generation that the media, MSM or otherwise, will show the SLOWEST members of the herd.

Nice collection Shrap…..
You win shrapnel. grin
I have a 1949 Marlin 336 in .32 special with a receiver sight that is headed out for antlerless season in about a week.
1965 sako finnwolf
I have a Marlin 1893 in 30WCF that was made in 1896. It is the rifle in the bottom of those 1895s. I hunted that rifle pretty hard during my youth. I shot a wolf once that was attempting to kill our dog in 1985. I killed no end of owls, hawks and coyotes that were trying to get our chickens. That long sight radius and the way that is hangs offhand makes it a stone dead homestead killer. I never shot anything bigger than a wolf with it but I went on two sheep hunts with it when I was young and tough. I used to go with the rifle and a can of corned beef hash and just hike back up into the Tonsina Contolled use area for sheep. I would drop down below timberline and siwash under a spruce tree with a little fire and I would stay ok. It is a wonderful old friend.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Not sure if dates , but a 06 in 03A3
99 Arisaka , one 7.7 Jap other , 06 that shoots lights out with .311 150gr Sierra Pro hunter

Savage 340 30-30

K-31
Kenneth
Although I haven't killed anything with it, I have packed an 1867 Peabody .44-77 quite a few miles. The killer was a cut down 1896 model Swede with a crest date of 1903. But I have gone full on WalMart modern now with a 1935 Peruvian Mauser in 7.65 Belgian. Not because it's better than anything in particular, but the stock fits me like it was bespoken.
1956 Mannlicher MC 7x57.

Stevens 425 made in 1912. Oddly enough I procured a lease last year that was once family property owned by my wife's family a couple of hours away and this was her great grandpa's rifle.

1967 Remington 742 Canada commemorative 308.
1904, ‘92 Winchester. But I have a few older - don’t know date of manufacture - 2 Krag’s & an old SMLE.
The SMLE did in a wolf that was challenging my dog in my yard.
i have some older rifles but my old favorite is a 1917 256 Newton bolt rifle
1908 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, originally chambered in 8x56MS. Some years back, I had a new barrel made for it in 8x57Mauser. Decent shooter, and I have taken it hunting, but alas, no joy yet.
I no longer hunt with any old rifles. Been in the proccess of acquiring new guns to hunt with everything suppressed. Only older rifle i ever hunted with regularly was a 1955 winchester model 88 .308. Took several deer and bears with it.
Have an old marin .30-30 from 1947 i believe. Picked it up in the spring of 2019, took 2 bears with it that august, and its sat in the safe since then. Ill take it out again one of these days just for fun. When i bought that old 47 marlin it had been sitting in a safe pretty much my whole life by the sounds of it. Figured id better put it to work that year.
1898 Krag, one of 5,000 Cavalry models made with original 1898 made barrel. 24 inch in length.

3 loads with 180 grain Speer RN.

1. 30 grains 4198
2. 25 grains SR 4759
3. 30 grains of RL 7.
An old model 94 Winchester SR carbine in .32 spcl. Date of birth 1912.

And a Win 1897 pump shotgun in 16 gauge made in 1900 - it's a turkey killing machine!
© 24hourcampfire