Home
Posted By: Virginian07 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
I am interested in a Tikka in 6.5x55 but am having a difficult time finding one, but T3xs in 6.5 Creedmoor are in stock everywhere. How difficult would it be to do this conversion? Or is it better to just be patient and wait for one to come back in stock?
Patience.

If it were me I would just go with the Creedmoor.

Tomatoe tomato.
I have both (not Tikka). The Creed will generally shoot tighter groups than the Swede; both of mine have Shilen barrels, so that should be a wash.

One can reload the Swede and get great accuracy. Factory ammo definitely favors the Creed. The Creed is less sensitive to various kinds of ammo, shoots about everything well. The Swede is more picky, but does great with what it likes. My Swede is a Lapua snob, loves Lapua brass and 139 gr. Scenars over MRP.

Given that choice, to me it would be the Creed, although I really like my Swede. Both are keepers. The Creed will give you more performance with less effort. Their ballistic performance is pretty close. A reloader can push the slightly larger case a bit faster. Critters will never know the difference.

DF
The rim size between the two is slightly different. If using American 6.5x55 brass (same rim as 30-06 family) they will most likely have the same rim size, but as I discovered in my Barrett Fieldcraft the Lapua brass has the original European (larger) rim and will not fit the Barrett. I had no trouble with the Hornady, Federal and Nosler brass. My wife's Ruger MKII 6.5x55 will feed anything
Posted By: Igloo Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
Six o' one, half dozen o' the other after owning a few of each.

To me the most important thing is as the others have said, you can find ammo in the shelves a lot more easily for the Creedmoor than the Swede, even now. Otherwise they throw the exact same bullet at similar enough speeds the difference means nothing to me, at least.

If one has "cool points" over the other, ie: history, looks better, whatever, hey we're loonies, do it up. Both are great.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
Originally Posted by Virginian07
I am interested in a Tikka in 6.5x55 but am having a difficult time finding one, but T3xs in 6.5 Creedmoor are in stock everywhere. How difficult would it be to do this conversion? Or is it better to just be patient and wait for one to come back in stock?

Dont you really want a 6.5 PRC.
Posted By: ronc Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
I know i do.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
Per SAAMI one operates at 62,000 psi (Creedmoor), the other at 51,000 psi. That’s the real difference, especially if you do not handload.
A creed will do everything a swede will do with factory loaded ammo.

Don't be a hater. #kreedmire
+1

I Have a Tikka 6.5x55 that does ragged holes at 100 yds with Sierra Gamechangers.

However, since I got a Winchester 70 Extreme weather 6.5 PRC that does 1/2 MOA with 143 gr ELDX.. Now the Tikka sets in the safe… I don’t have any interest in a Creedmoor.
Posted By: Puddle Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/05/21
Having hunted with a Swede for many years and now hunting with a CM IMHO the Swede is a handloading only proposition if you want to get the most out of it unless you can lay in a supply of European ammo.

On the other hand, you will likely find a suite of amazingly consistent, accurate ammo on the store shelves for the CM.

Both are in the too much fun category.
Well it sounds like I need to squeeze into my skinny jeans and go buy that Creedmoor.
Wait until a 6.5x55 shows up, otherwise the "need" will still be there, only temporarily filled with a new rifle. Eventually the yearning for the 6.5x55 will return.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
I have a tikka T3 stainless fluted that's pretty close to new. It came with a laminate stock that I took off and bubble wrapped right when I got it. I put a tikka Tupperware stock on it and I think a newer weaver grand slam 3-12 and took it to the range twice to try a few loads.

I have several boxes of nosler factory 6.5x55 140g Accubond ammo I bought and shot some to get some brass. It liked that load pretty well. I tried just a few loads of 147g eldms over rl26. I got good speed but didn't get great accuracy right off the bat. I need to try it again with some different charges and seating depths. The few loads I loaded only went around 1-1.25 moa. The factory stuff did better just under .75". I keep meaning to get out and finish finding a load but have too many rifles to work up.

I'd probably sell mine if a guy really wanted it. I've still got the box and paperwork and the bubble wrapped original laminate wood stock. I haven't seen too many like it with the stainless fluted barrel. I'm not sure what it's worth but I'd want market value for it since I'm not really looking to get rid of it.

Bb
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
How does the creed compare to to a 243 ?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by earlybrd
How does the creed compare to to a 243 ?

The creed has a better designed case and because it's 264 cal it gives you the opportunity to shoot heavier 6.5mm bullets. Plus Creedmoors are all twisted fast enough to shoot the heavies.

They make a 6mm Creedmoor too that shoots the same bullets as a 243 and is comparable but the Creedmoor is twisted faster for heavy bullets and the case is a bit shorter and better designed that the 243. The 6.5 Creedmoor is to the 260 rem what the 6mm Creedmoor is to the 243.

Bb

Why convert it? There's not a damn thing wrong with either cartridge. Learn to like both. I'd get the creedmoor and rock on. If you run across a good deal on the Swede down the road, buy that one then.. Easy peasy..
Posted By: jimmy3 Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
Hit up Waterdoctor about his safe queen…..
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
I prefer the 6.5x48 myself
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
The 6.5x55 offers short action performance in a long action. It was a remarkably innovative cartridge when it came out (superior to the .30-03/06 almost a decade earlier) but suffers from all the problems of cartridges designed for machine gun use, plus being designed for an awkward intermediate action.

Just get the Creedmoor and have the superior gun.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
The 6.5x55 offers short action performance in a long action. It was a remarkably innovative cartridge when it came out (superior to the .30-03/06 almost a decade earlier) but suffers from all the problems of cartridges designed for machine gun use, plus being designed for an awkward intermediate action.

Never heard of it being designed for machinegun use.
There is actually a lot of 6.5x55 online: ammo and cases.

According to the Nosler reloading manual rim size for the Swede is .480 and for the CM is .473. US brass has been a consistent .474 for the Swede brass I have checked. Like I said Lapua was larger and would not fit my Barrett. Being a Tikka would there be too much slop in the bolt face to go to a CM if made to Euro specs?
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/06/21
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob

Never heard of it being designed for machinegun use.

In that era all military cartridges had unneeded taper and shoulder slope added because it was believed to be required for reliable machinegun feeding. Since neither brass stretch nor actual accuracy was of military concern, it was viewed as a reasonable trade-off. For a hunter, it's a horrible trade-off.

We now know that case geometry is completely unnecessary for machine guns as well (consider the .277 Sig Fury) but at the time that was what they thought.
I don't know about it being horrible for hunters. I like how slick my 300 H&H feeds. It has never bobbled, but it is also CRF although that isn't supposed to have anything to do with it. I rarely have to trim my handloads that are going 2950 fps. My only straight walled cartridge is a .284 Win in a Mod 88 Win. It is not the slickest feeding whether it be the action or the cartridge I don't know.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Igloo Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Funny how the countries with lots of experience actually using their 6..5mms in combat that were similar enough (like the Italians and Japanese) were willing to actually drop them in the middle of a world war.

Funny considering its so much better than the 30-06 I mean.

Suppose I'm just not so concerned with minutia to consider anything a horrible tradeoff. Like em all, to be honest.

Posted By: bluefish Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Which one is better than the 06 and how so?
Posted By: viking Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
https://postimg.cc/gallery/wzMdt2R

One of my 6.5’s
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Pick one and relax. Converting a Creed to a Swede is beyond loony, even if the cartridge dimensions permitted a simple rechamber, which I doubt (without looking).

Only reason I see for a Swede over a Creed (or a 7x57 over a 7-08 while I’m offending people) is finding a really nice rifle, generally an old classic, so chambered. The new kids benefit from standard dimensions and higher MAPs, so why futz around with stuff that’s out of date and may be troublesome because of brass or throat differences?
Pappy and others of you make good points. I have a sentimental attachment to the Swede and it’s a helluva hunting cartridge. I’ve killed a lot of deer with it. But there are very few light rifles chambered in it now. The CM is readily available in light rifles and if it will push a 140 along at a good velocity then I’d be happy with one. My personal bias is toward the 140s. It makes no sense to rechamber a CM. Buy a Tikka and go hunting.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Buy a Tikka and go hunting.

Yup. I’ve owned 3 factory rifles chambered in 6.5CM. 2 of them Tikkas. And been around a handful of others. All have been very accurate with handloads.

My latest, a T3x Superlite, was purchased for a project. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a dog of a barrel before I sent it to the gunsmith. An acquaintance had given me some factory ammunition he had leftover. It shoots factory ammo pretty well.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If I were building a classic, wood/blues rifle, I’d go Swede. But the CM is the easy answer for a lightweight hunting tool.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Based on your own OP and your responses herein Virginia07, just find the rifle in a Swede. Although most herein have made good points, you never articulated that you wanted or needed a Tikka in one of the 6.5s. You were not seeking suggestions for people's opinions of cartridges that may be similar or superior. You clearly want a Swede. Just find one, even if it means being patient. Good luck in your quest.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have both (not Tikka). The Creed will generally shoot tighter groups than the Swede; both of mine have Shilen barrels, so that should be a wash.

One can reload the Swede and get great accuracy. Factory ammo definitely favors the Creed. The Creed is less sensitive to various kinds of ammo, shoots about everything well. The Swede is more picky, but does great with what it likes. My Swede is a Lapua snob, loves Lapua brass and 139 gr. Scenars over MRP.

Given that choice, to me it would be the Creed, although I really like my Swede. Both are keepers. The Creed will give you more performance with less effort. Their ballistic performance is pretty close. A reloader can push the slightly larger case a bit faster. Critters will never know the difference.

DF

^^^That^^^

Their so similar that rebarreling doesn’t make any sense especially on a fairly inexpensive rifle to begin with.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pick one and relax. Converting a Creed to a Swede is beyond loony, even if the cartridge dimensions permitted a simple rechamber, which I doubt (without looking).

Only reason I see for a Swede over a Creed (or a 7x57 over a 7-08 while I’m offending people) is finding a really nice rifle, generally an old classic, so chambered. The new kids benefit from standard dimensions and higher MAPs, so why futz around with stuff that’s out of date and may be troublesome because of brass or throat differences?

Well said. Something like a Ruger no. 1 chambered in 6.5 CM seems a little goofy to me. A rifle like that screams old classic cartridges IMO a Tikka is a modern hunting tool. I can’t imagine the hassle and money down the rabbit hole to rebarrel from one to the other.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
Perhaps this wil help steer you in the right direction:

Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/07/21
1 minute later, they join to make a Swede shooter.
I would take Burleyboy up on his offer and coordinate with him to buy the stainless T3 SL in 6.5x55. I have a blued 6.5x55 SL and it is definitely one of my favorite rifles. Light but not too light, accuracy was easy to come by and it just plain works. Nothing against the 6.5 CM but if you want a 6.5x55 I suggest waiting and searching until you find what you really want.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Per SAAMI one operates at 62,000 psi (Creedmoor), the other at 51,000 psi. That’s the real difference, especially if you do not handload.

You get new barrels for your Creed more often.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
Yes, there’s that consideration as well. With 140 gr loads at 62,000 psi at 2,750 fps you get approximately 2,250-2,500 rounds before accuracy starts to fall off. In the Swede operating at 51,000 psi with 140s at 2,600 psi you get around 4,500-5,000 rounds or better before giving up some accuracy. Barrel life on the Swede would be similar to the 308 Win.
I own both in the Tikka. Both shoot great. The Swede case is larger and offers higher velocity. The Swede is my favorite gun. There is just something right about that cartridge. Very accurate and easy to load for.

I bought my son a tikka creed just because I couldn't find another Swede.
Posted By: JGray Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
When I stumbled on a Tikka Forest 6.5x55, I couldn't say no and have no regrets. With the Tikka being a long action, I'd pick the Swede over 6.5 CM given the choice, but there's not a thing wrong with the CM in a Tikka. I guess it just depends on how soon you want it...

Posted By: hikerbum Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
Swede... but I tend to stay away from new whiz bang cartridges.
Posted By: Igloo Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
Yes, there’s that consideration as well. With 140 gr loads at 62,000 psi at 2,750 fps you get approximately 2,250-2,500 rounds before accuracy starts to fall off. In the Swede operating at 51,000 psi with 140s at 2,600 psi you get around 4,500-5,000 rounds or better before giving up some accuracy. Barrel life on the Swede would be similar to the 308 Win.

Assuming it takes the same or slightly more powder for the Swede to hit 2600 FPS, does pressure really play that much of a role in eating a barrel?

And would downloading the Creed to 2600 FPS and using less powder than the Swede to hit the same velocity make the life more equal?

Not challenging the stats, just ignorant on the issue personally. Thats a lot more barrel life.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
Originally Posted by JGray
When I stumbled on a Tikka Forest 6.5x55, I couldn't say no and have no regrets. With the Tikka being a long action, I'd pick the Swede over 6.5 CM given the choice, but there's not a thing wrong with the CM in a Tikka. I guess it just depends on how soon you want it...

Man, nothing to not like about that.
Posted By: Igloo Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
No sir, thats a dang nice rifle. And good shooting!!

What swayed me to the Swedish side of things was being able to buy this for nearly half the price of any decent Creedmoor I saw.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
You’re lucky to pay less for the 6.5x55SE over a Creedmoor. The Creedmoor offerings are a dime a dozen, most Swedes are limited offerings these days and usually offered by more expensive firms like Mauser, Sako (and Tikka) and custom builds. Most cost $300-$600 more than Creedmoors and are desired for their history, heritage and accuracy. CZ-USA used to be a go-to but they have not, as far as I know, presented it in the latest US markets. There is no killing difference in the hunting field on game between the Swede, 6.5mm-08 A-Square, 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5x47 Lapua.
Originally Posted by beretzs

Man, nothing to not like about that.

That was my first kill with a Swede - 30 yd chip shot as I was getting out of the truck and loading up to go for a long walk. 139 Scenar - bullet size entry, finger diameter exit and liquefied chest cavity. I haven't loaded any other 6.5 bullet since.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
I don't blame you there! Folks that use them seem to really hang to them. The 139's and 220's for the 30 caliber seem really darned good. I have a bunch of the 180's for the 7 Mashburn, but haven't tried them yet. A few on here have had nothing but excellent results with them to the point I trust them quite alot.

Nice buck!
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/08/21
I much prefer my 6.5x48 over the CM
...I have a bunch of the 180's for the 7 Mashburn, but haven't tried them yet. A few on here have had nothing but excellent results with them to the point I trust them quite alot.

Nice buck!

Thanks! Good to hear on the 180's - I have a few boxes of them anxiously waiting on a 7 SAUM build.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/09/21
...I have a bunch of the 180's for the 7 Mashburn, but haven't tried them yet. A few on here have had nothing but excellent results with them to the point I trust them quite alot.

Nice buck!

Thanks! Good to hear on the 180's - I have a few boxes of them anxiously waiting on a 7 SAUM build.

That’ll be a cool build as well. I have a 7 WSM on a 70 Classic. Kinda wondering if the 180’s will work in that little devil.
Im shooting 123 Scenars in my Swede, over H4350. I'm at 2980 fps and have stretched it to a mile on steel. Usually shoot 1000 yds or less, but we set up steel at a mile and I had to try. I jump to 139s in my 264 win mag, and shooting 108s in my creed.
Posted By: sqweeler Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/09/21
Swede [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
There is a Swede Tikka for sale now
Posted By: smarquez Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/13/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I have a T3 in 6.5 Swede. I have not found it to be picky at all in hand loads but for Hornady GMX bullets. It is the only bullet that seems consistently over 1" groups. I am not a real accomplished shooter and my loads are built with basic reloading equipment and techniques.
Lapua and Privi are true Swede/euro spec brass. Winchester brass is based off 30-06 and a few thousandths smaller at the base.
As mentioned earlier, I would probably just go with the Creed unless you are a reloader.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/13/21
I'd go with the Creedmoor.
Posted By: PA_Bob Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/13/21
My T3 6.5x55 seems to be on a long action...isn't there only one action length with T3's? If so, there is no restriction on OAL in practice, and one can let the bullet be seated wherever one wants...which IMO is why mine seems to shot everything under MOA, and when generously endowed to modern pressures, runs a good bit. Lapua brass.

That's true but in a hunting rifle it will take up a fair while chew out the barrel
x
Posted By: CRS Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/14/21

Patience
Posted By: pullit Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/14/21
The bad thing about being a gun whore like myself, you can justify about anything...lol.
I had a 6.5x55 for a short time and liked it, but I set the barrel back and turned it into a 260. I now have a few 260's, a couple of 6.5 Creed's and a 6.5x47.
I don't dislike any of them but don't see myself going back to the 6.5x55 as I would have to start all over with getting brass and dies. I am set up with all the others already.
Posted By: greydog Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/14/21
I have shot quite a bit with both. It's probably a surprise to some, but a 140 at 2700 from a 6.5x55, performs EXACTLY the same as a 140 at 2700 from a 6.5CM. I find the Creedmoor to work a little better with low pressure loads. In a pinch, I can form CM brass from 308. GD
Posted By: Puddle Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/14/21
As I've mentioned before, my .26 experience began with a Swede, and I think it's sweet spot - as greydog mentions, - is a 140 gr. class bullet at 2700 based on a 24" barrel. In fact, I only loaded 140 gr. NPTs in that rifle.

But after many years I gave the rifle away. Naturally, I felt morally obligated to replace it with something familiar and ended up with my first CM big game hunting rifle.

No big surprise, this barrel luvs a 140 gr. class of bullet at 2700 based on a 24" barrel.

Go figure.
I bought a safe queen Winchester "European Featherweight" in 6.5x55 in 2016. I'm fairly certain it had never been shot except for proofing @ the factory. It had a
gloss Leupold 2x7 on it and neither the bases or rings had even been tightened. They only made 400 of them in 86" according to the last copy of Fjestads Blue book I had . The rifle has a set of sights on it with the front having a hood.
I took that scope set up off upon recieving it and put a set of Talleys on it with a gloss 2.5x8 Leupold . Did a little trigger job on it and dang that thing will flat out shoot.
It really likes IMR4350 with Hornady brass and a Hornady 140 interlock.

After hunting with it just once it is the one I always reach for. It punches way above its weight and is a pleasure to shoot. Plus, like a 300 H+H it has a certain kinda swag about it IMHO.

OP hold out for "TheSwede" , It's what you want.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/14/21
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You get new barrels for your Creed more often.

We're talking about guns with 1200-1500 round accurate barrel lives assuming a CM barrel, more if you chase the lands a bit.

Now, with say an average of 5 rounds per hunt and maybe 200 rounds of load development at the beginning if you're really thorough, that works out to 200+ hunts.

The reality is there's very few people who go on 200 big game hunts in their life. Those that do can afford a rebarrel.
Posted By: Puddle Re: 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor - 12/20/21
Interesting, just as we've been having a lovely chat here up pops an article by John Haviland on the Swede with references to the CM in the latest issue of American Rifleman. Interesting.

I know, let's ramp up a .375 H&H and .375 Ruger thread and see who publishes next! smile
© 24hourcampfire