Home
Posted By: Ky221 Sako 85. Talk me into or out of. - 12/30/21
Found a couple of Sako 85 Hunter models in a shop not too far from me. Available in 260 and 7mm-08. I'm thinking hard on the 7-08 although I'd prefer a 6.5x55 or 7x57.

For those that have them....can I get the scoop? How is yours in accuracy and function? What's is yours chambered in? I've read about the ejection issues. Some have an issue while others seem to work fine. Thoughts?
I've had several, all long actions, never an ejection problem, and all great in the accuracy department.

If the price is right, and you want it, buy it.
I have a Sako 85 9.3x62. I’ve also heard through the grapevine about ejection problems hitting the scope, but I’ve never had a problem. I have a fixed 6X42 Leupold in optilock rings. It shoots ¾” groups @ 100 yards with factory Nosler Partition Safari Ammo with 286G NPs.
If you can get one at a decent price I say go for it! You can always sell it on the fire if you dont like it..I have owned several Sako rifles over the last 35 years (591, mod 75 and 85's) and i cant remeber one that didnt shoot MOA or better but I had a bad experience with Beretta's chit CS over the ejection issue on a brand new Mod 85 Finnlight .270 Win and i never did like Sako's heavy (way too high) clamp-on Optilok scope mounting system but these rifles do have their fan base and you may love one......Good luck 👍....Hb
Have not seen anyone reporting the ejection problem on a short action.
I think I'm going to make the drive to go look at them in person.

Thanks for the input guys.
I have two 85 Finnlights currently, a 300 WSM & 308 Winchester. Both cycle perfectly, shoot accurately & carry very nicely. Both shoot one hole groups with my loads. I love the functionality of the 85’s. Nary an issue after over 500 rounds.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

This. The ones I have seen guys complain about on line were medium length actions with low mounted scopes.

Go for it if the price is right.
Never owned one of the newer models, but the L-61’s are great. I’ve owned 20 or so through the years, all very accurate.
Ok I will talk you into buying one, just remember they like company, you might want to get both!😁
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I had one in a 300 wsm that bounced every cade off the scope and back into the action. Even with higher rings. Luckily my friend managed the store I bought it at so I return it.

Bb
Yeah it dont matter how high you mount the scope if the spent case ejects straight up like my model 85 .270 Win did. If the shop will let you I would strongly advise that you run a few rounds through the action to check function..good luck....Hb
I've got a Sako 85 Black Bear in .30-06. Even though the ejector is at the 180 degree position, the angle of eject is not 90 degrees straight up. It looks like its somewhere between 110 and 120 degrees to the right. I've got a Trijicon Accupoint mounted in low Optilock rings and I am not getting any hits on the scope or caps. My scope, however, doesn't have any big knobs on it. If it had big target turrets, that might be a different story.

If I work the action slowly, I can manage to not eject the empty out of the action at all, with or without a scope. Working the action in a normal manner and I've not had a single ejection issue.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have a Sako 85 in 6.5x55 and it’s probably my favorite rifle. It is 5 in 1/2” accurate and is very smooth functioning. I can make empty cases fall back into the action if I work the bolt slowly and try to catch the empties at the bench. In normal use I’ve never had a problem. I have a 2 1/2-8 VX3 mounted pretty low on it. Weight is about what I consider normal for a hunting rifle and all-day manageable for an adult male in any kind shape.
It would take me about 3 seconds to buy that .260. Probably less for the 7-08.
I couldn't talk myself into the 260 or the 7-08. But I did find a stainless hunter model in 30-06 and ordered it. Dealer expects it to arrive sometime next week. In the event that the empties bounce off the scope and land in the ejection port. Rather than deal with beretta, is it something that a good gunsmith could fix?
Originally Posted by tzone
It would take me about 3 seconds to buy that .260. Probably less for the 7-08.

Whittaker's. Give them a call.
My 85 Sako 7mm rem mag will.not eject a single shell without hitting the scope. Tried different scopes too. No dice. Love the gun though
Originally Posted by Fotis
My 85 Sako 7mm rem mag will.not eject a single shell without hitting the scope. Tried different scopes too. No dice. Love the gun though

Shop told me if it does this; bring it back and they will take care of it.
Nice Sako's; but beware of the Finnlight "synthetic" stocks. They will turn"sticky" and Beretta will not do anything for you. Which sucks
Originally Posted by Ky221

Ship it to Beretta you mean??
I’ve owned 3 so far and my sons savage axis is more accurate than any of the three. Maybe I got unlucky three times but I gave up on them.
You didnt get lucky on the Savage rifles as I have two that both shoot like a house afire and I know of two more that buddies have that are also very accurate...They may not be pretty but damn if they don't shoot great! 👍👍..Hb
Originally Posted by Ky221

Ship it to Beretta you mean??

It's a local shop that I frequent, know the owner and all the employees rather well. And they know I'm going to Africa in 8 months and I intend on taking this rifle. So whether that means getting beretta to do something in a timely fashion or producing another Sako 85. I'm not sure. Only that they would handle it.
A good buddy of mine bought a stainless/synthetic Sako 85 in 7 mag. He set it up with low Sako Optilock ring mounts and a Leupold 3.5x10x40 scope. The gun shot ok but he had the problem with ejected cases hitting the scope. He contacted Beretta who were of no help. He wound up selling the gun. What I find unacceptable is Beretta knows it has a problem with the design of those rifles and won't do anything to correct the problem. They continue to make and sell rifles with a known design defect.

The model 85 simply isn't worth the $$ they cost. Spend your $$ elsewhere.
Not worth it at all. Look for a 75 if you can find one or else another line of rifles.
85 Finnlight in '06 with no issues and shoots well. About all I can say.
I have a Sako 85 in Gray Wolf in30/06.
If I had to do over I would never have purchased it. I don't know any buddy I dislike that much to give it to.
Originally Posted by ranger1886
If I had to do over I would never have purchased it. I don't know any buddy I dislike that much to give it to.

Care to elaborate on that a bit?

I will pay shipping plus another $50 to 64080 if it's taking up too much space out your way. Let me know.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I will pay shipping plus another $50 to 64080 if it's taking up too much space out your way. Let me know.

laugh Yeah, man, me too. People have said I'm easy to hate. smile
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

laugh Yeah, man, me too. People have said I'm easy to hate. smile

If I get it maybe we can share it or if it's a POS I can trip it to you.

I will even deliver it to your door, free of charge.
I have a Sako 85 260. I love it. Maybe I just got lucky after reading some posts here. It shoots one ragged hole at 100 yds with 142 gr sierra match kings and 139 gr Lapua Secnars. I have never had a single issue with this rifle, ejection wise or anything else. It's topped with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44. It is one of my favorite rifles.
I really like some of their open sighted offerings like the black bear, etc. I just can’t do the 6 o’clock ejector.
I hope your new rifle is accurate and trouble free. Your timing to purchase a new rifle, buy components or ammo, and find the load it likes is impeccable.

I'm thinkin if you're gettin a Sako or Tikka

Ya need a 6.5x55...7x57 or 9.3x62
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I hope your new rifle is accurate and trouble free. Your timing to purchase a new rifle, buy components or ammo, and find the load it likes is impeccable.

Nice assumption but I'm not buying components or ammo. I've got plenty of 3006 reloading components. Along with more boxes of factory ammo than I will ever shoot. This isn't my first or only 3006. I think 8 months is plenty of time to find a suitable load. If I can't get comfortable with it in that amount of time I have bigger issues to address.

And in the event that it doesn't pan out I have a very capable 7x57, 308, 3006 and a 300WM that's more than ready to step up to the plate.
Thanks for your concern though. Fingers crossed that it will be fine.
I’d roll with that 7x57 all day long .
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’d roll with that 7x57 all day long .

It may come down to it. But as long as the Sako works as it should. I'd prefer to use it.
I bet it will.its hard to believe a company with the rep of Sako puts out junk.
I must ammend my previous post. I just checked the bottom of my Trijicon and there is a brass mark on the bottom of the scope so there must have been some empties to hit it. Still, I haven't had any fail to come out, but there must have been some contact.

I think I may go to higher rings. I am using Optilock ring mounts and really don't like them. The rear ring has a built in recoil lug that fits in the notch at the back of the integral base. The front ring I have mounted flush with the front of the ejection port. It could slide on much further but thats where I tightned it down so I could span the ejection port with my scope. It's not ideal and it uses up some windage doing that. The scope also sits lower than I'd like and that big rear sight on the barrel sticks up quite a bit in front of the ejection lens. I think I am going to try Optilock bases, with and extended front base) and some medium rings. Hopefully that will give me my preferred scope height and possibly take care of any brass strikes.

The rear sight on this rifle is very high.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I am probably the only dissenter in this area. Found one in 6.5x55. I was so excited but it shot for crap with my 125 nosler partions and my 129 grain hornady sp's which both shot stellar in my swede Mauser. I was told it might like lighter bullets was not interested in shooting lighter, so it went down the road.
Mine in 308 is stellar. It is one of the classics.
I’ve only had 75’s. I preferred the stock design and felt they were just a better rifle. I had all finnlights(243,260,7-08,6.5x55, 308, 300wsm) except one SS in 7RM. They all shot well, a few shot exceptionally well! I’ve gotten rid of every one of them except the 300wsm. The 243 was an absolute laser and I regret selling it. I’ve had many other Sako rifles and they’ve all been great. I agree with someone from earlier, while their mounting system is strong...I’m not real crazy about having to use that system. Anyhow, if the price is right give it a whirl. Great rifles and high quality for a factory offering.
I've had several, all long actions, never an ejection problem, and all great in the accuracy department.

+1

Had 85's in 5 different calibers over the years never had any issues with ejection problem.
Originally Posted by old_willys

+1

Had 85's in 5 different calibers over the years never had any issues with ejection problem.

I would love a 85 in 260
Who in the hell passes up a 7/08 anyway?
© 24hourcampfire