Home
I've read they are a little behind on some parts, anybody see Montana's anywhere?
My LGS was told a few weeks ago by their Kimber Rep, he was on the phone with my LGS while I was talking to them, that the Montana is discontinued/no longer being offered. Now that may not be permanent but it sounded like it. He told us they were offering the Hunter, the Mountain Ascent and the Adirondack in their lightweight mountain rifle series. I put my name on the list for a Mountain Ascent and was told it most likely will be 1 year out before I see it.

Now if you go to Kimber web site you can find the Montana still showing under the Rifle Family category but if you look under the Action Family category the Montana is clearly not there in the 84M or 84l action.

There is a member or two here that have worked for Kimber and have ties to the company that I am sure have good information and hopefully they will respond to the thread.
Went and looked under Action Family, no Montana on the site.

Sure is a big price jump between the hand laid up stocks and the plastic now. That Desolv Blak looks good although I don't want a muzzle break.

I remember some inside info. guys in a thread saying that Kimber was more-less breaking even on the Montana stocks and other info. . So yeah maybe bye-bye Montana, snooze you lose.
I went looking to order a Kimber Montana back in November and the gun store I was at told me then that Kimber had discontinued them. I thought long and hard on the Mountain Ascent .280 AI they had, but the wife ordered me a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 instead. I like the Mountain Ascent, but like the Montana even more.
Still on their website

https://www.kimberamerica.com/montana
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Look under Action Family and tell me what you see.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Look under Action Family and tell me what you see.

The Montanas are under the "Action Family" dropdown, but weirdly listed under the filter "Model 8400 Magnum."

If you then select "Product Details" you'll see another dropdown listing 8 different cartridges.

I have to believe that is a website glitch.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/action-family?corporate_action_family=5454&layer=
Kimber knows how to build fine rifles, too bad they are run by dolts with no customer concern or business sense.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
anybody see Montana's anywhere?

Ask and ye shall receive!

https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/search?category_id%5B0%5D=129&category_id%5B1%5D=129&manufacturer_id=110&page=2

SD
Montanas
I hope they don’t stop making them. I wouldn’t mind a Hunter if it wasn’t for the detachable magazine.
The Hunter just keeps climbing in price and it will soon cost as much as a Montana did before they disappeared.
We’ll never see Montana’s in the exact same form again. No more of the Costa Rica stocks. Rifles are going on the back burner because they lack the profits of the pistols. I wish they’d just sell the rifle line to someone interested in making quality rifles.
I bet you’re right, unfortunately. It’s a shame because I always liked their rifles much better than their pistols.
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We’ll never see Montana’s in the exact same form again. No more of the Costa Rica stocks. Rifles are going on the back burner because they lack the profits of the pistols. I wish they’d just sell the rifle line to someone interested in making quality rifles.

Agreed.......Hb
I had an 8400 Montana in .270. I liked it but I sold it. Got a grand for it. It was a good shooter and I liked it but the stock was too bulky for my hands. Never really fit right in my hands.

I bought an 84L Hunter in .270. I like it. I paid 675 for it, NIB on GunBroker. Its trimmer and lighter and works great.

Would I like the same shape stock in a stiffer configuration? Sure. Would I pay 1000 more for it? NFW. YmmV.
Hb
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Kimber knows how to build fine rifles, too bad they are run by dolts with no customer concern or business sense.

Agreed, I have 3 Classic Selects in 257 Rob, 280 AI, and 30-06………when I’m gone, I want my kids to lay them in my casket cool
Originally Posted by SD65

https://www.anacortesgunshop.com/search?category_id%5B0%5D=129&category_id%5B1%5D=129&manufacturer_id=110&page=2

SD
Montanas

Nothing there is actually in stock when you click.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

SD
Montanas

You have to call to confirm availability.
LGS, Granite View Sports just received Mountain Ascents......84Ms didn't last long but 84Ls have now arrived.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

SD
Montanas

You have to call to confirm availability.

Have you bought and received a rifle from there before?

Messy website, Montana 308 w/ 26'' barrel?
No details when I click on additional information.
And yes, I remember the Hunter models around $700
LGS rumors say Kimber long gun days are numbered
Very disappointing.

Glad I have 6.

Montanas in:17 Remington, 22-250, 6.5CM, 300WSM.

Hunters in: 243, 308.
Sad to see Kimber Montana gone.
Glad to have picked one up on a Black Friday sale two years ago (especially after the Fieldcraft was discontinued)

I really like Montanas.
What’s an 84M Montana in 257 Bob worth?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

According to my sources in the free market, it's worth whatever someone will give you for it smile

$1400 bucks.
Originally Posted by skeen

$1400 bucks.

Damn! I'd sell one of my like new .308 Wins for that 👍.....Hb
I'll take one in 308 win for a thousand Bob.

$1400 bucks.

See where this one ends up but I’d say that’s about right.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920489840
Wow! You guys are right and That one don't even have box or papers ......Hb
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

$1400 bucks.

I bid on that but now it’s past my range. Looking for a 308 or a donor to make into one.
Originally Posted by Hudge
I went looking to order a Kimber Montana back in November and the gun store I was at told me then that Kimber had discontinued them. I thought long and hard on the Mountain Ascent .280 AI they had, but the wife ordered me a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 instead. I like the Mountain Ascent, but like the Montana even more.
You can make that a .280ai for about $350!
I have an opportunity at a Kimber Montana in great shape, 270 WSM, with a Leupold VX III 4.5 -14 on it. They are asking $1250. I have been considering it, but I have one in .280 ai and they are so close to the same performance.

How used is it?

Probably $1000 or so if it's NNIB. Same as the rest.
Originally Posted by tzone

How used is it?

I think the norm will be at around $1400 and once the news gets out that they are no longer making these they will start to creep up to the $1900 level.
Originally Posted by Ken_L

How used is it?

I think the norm will be at around $1400 and once the news gets out that they are no longer making these they will start to creep up to the $1900 level.

Agreed. I almost sold my 338 Fed recently. Glad I didn’t.
The currrent Kimber business model shows no apparent concern for customers.
I took a step back from buying guns for a few years, I come back and MRC is gone, 84M, Ruger Hawkeye, Remington, the Field craft... maybe it's time to take up golf.
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I took a step back from buying guns for a few years, I come back and MRC is gone, 84M, Ruger Hawkeye, Remington, the Field craft... maybe it's time to take up golf.

Remington Mountain in Stock

Better hurry!

Agreed except the part about MRC, not sure them being gone is a bad thing.

I would add CZ550, 527 to your list.

Yep and the CZ 527, another fine little bolt action rifle that will be missed....Hb
Get real guys! Who needs a Montana? Just get ya an AR chambered in 257 Bob and call it good. It's only you old Boomers that want those old fashioned bolt rifles.

(sarcasm in case you didn't know that.)

I have a 257 Roberts Montana I would let go for $3,000.
Has never been fired. (at least not this year).

(more sarcasm)

In reality I have more Montanas than I need so if they are dropped from production it will keep me from being tempted further.
Kimber told me earlier in week if it is in their website it is in their production lineup.

Of course, that could be them simply making the easy response.

$1400 bucks.

Sold @$1480

$1400 bucks.

Sold @$1480

Yep, your predication was close. I was tempted to jump in, but get wary when a non-rated buyer is in the crowd.
Originally Posted by Cattledog

$1400 bucks.

Sold @$1480

Yep, your predication was close. I was tempted to jump in, but get wary when a non-rated buyer is in the crowd.

I need a smith to chop off the threads on my 257 Rbts and recrown. That threaded muzzle on a ltwt barrel is nothing but blasphemy.
That threading is another example of questionable Kimber production decisions. They really ought to put their rifle program and tooling up for sale, it might profit them.
How many actually utilize the threads versus how many wish it was smooth?
That’s a good question. Who the hell buys an ultralight rifle and then puts a can on it? Idiots. That’s who.
Lemme guess? You don't have a can.......

Adirondack all canned out.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Could never understand adding an additional 7 or 8 in. and an additional 8 or 9 oz. to the muzzle end of a Montana or other lightweight rifle. Kind of both defeats the purpose and really messes up both the looks and ergos of the gun. A can would be a big hindrance.
Says another guy that don't have one......

The benefits FAR outweigh the 'hindrances'. But you don't know, what you don't know.....
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
That’s a good question. Who the hell buys an ultralight rifle and then puts a can on it? Idiots. That’s who.

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Could never understand adding an additional 7 or 8 in. and an additional 8 or 9 oz. to the muzzle end of a Montana or other lightweight rifle. Kind of both defeats the purpose and really messes up both the looks and ergos of the gun. A can would be a big hindrance.

I have no use for a can on a Montana with a 22” barrel. However, a can on the end of a 16.5” or 18” light weight rifle is utopia. If Kimber made threaded 16.5” 223 Montana they’d have to shut down pistol production to fill backorders…….
Agree with short action and huntsman

Those who do not own, or haven’t hunted/used suppressors only know what you have read on a forum, magazine, or imagined. I have yet to know anyone who regretted having one or didn’t carry/use when they could

I’ll take my 243 at 18” with a can on it all day for actual hunting purposes.

Don’t give two [bleep] about the looks of a actual hunting rifle.

A 16-18” 223 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist Montana would be hard to keep in stock. ergo’s/form/function/utility all in one

I have no use for a can on a Montana with a 22” barrel. However, a can on the end of a 16.5” or 18” light weight rifle is utopia. If Kimber made threaded 16.5” 223 Montana they’d have to shut down pistol production to fill backorders…….

The Fieldcraft 18" threaded models are gems with a suppressor. But they used a little heavier contour for those.
I don't have to own one to know it looks like chit 😁......Hb
Shortaction

Why not see if kimber would do a Montana group buy !!!! Odds are low I’m sure but heck. I’d be in for one or two

223 16-18” barrel
1-7.5 twist
Threaded 1/2-28
I’ll continue to beg.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fugly but deadly

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Says another guy that don't have one......

The benefits FAR outweigh the 'hindrances'. But you don't know, what you don't know.....

Could you elaborate, please. Besides noise suppression, what are the other benefits. Not trying to be an ass, just trying to understand.
For me

I got a suppressor because my oldest son was afraid of recoil and muzzle blast. Even with subsonic 22 he flinched.

Suppressor cured both issues for him. Without it I assure you he wouldn’t have continued hunting or shooting. My 6 year old shoots 243 with ease with suppressor. Without it he gets kicked pretty hard and doesn’t like it. For kids they have no equal

I can hear the bullet hit the deer/animal

Animals react differently to suppressed shooting. Less likely to have all the deer run off. I have even had deer run closer to me because they didn’t know where shot came from. Had deer look up and not even run. Go right back to feeding

I can shoot while hunting without hearing protection safely

I get less muzzle rise. See impacts way more consistently
I'll join the thread drift if only to state the obvious. The fact that suppressors can't be purchased over the counter, without government involvement is simply mind-boggling.
My question above wasn't questioning whether a can works, or if it makes shooting more enjoyable, or if there are benefts to a can. I'm just curious as to how many cans ever get put on a rifle. For every 100 threaded barrels sold, how many actually get the thread protector pulled off and a can screwed on? Due to cost and paperwork hassles, I'm guessing it is single digits. I could be wrong, I've been wrong more than a few times.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

I hate the wart on the end of the barrel. I really wish they get rid of it.
Originally Posted by bwinters

If the thread protector was turned down and blended instead of knurled and bigger diameter than barrel, I'd be okay with it.

My question above wasn't questioning whether a can works, or if it makes shooting more enjoyable, or if there are benefts to a can. I'm just curious as to how many cans ever get put on a rifle. For every 100 threaded barrels sold, how many actually get the thread protector pulled off and a can screwed on? Due to cost and paperwork hassles, I'm guessing it is single digits. I could be wrong, I've been wrong more than a few times.

I’d say your single digit guess is spot on. I’d guess very low single digits. Maybe less than 1% when you look at the number of budget rifles that only come threaded.
Originally Posted by 257heaven

If the thread protector was turned down and blended instead of knurled and bigger diameter than barrel, I'd be okay with it.

That is exactly what I had a smith do. Though Kimber chose to complicate things by using a non-standard threading, which cost more, as a custom mandrel was needed. But that seems par for Kimber policy.
Seems to me, the smart decision would be to leave the barrel smooth, and if a guy wanted to affix a suppressor on his rifle he could have a gunsmith thread the barrel for him. But what do I know?

I waited over a year for my 223 Montana. That was in 2012.
I could see putting a suppressor on a rifle that doesn’t point and carry as well as a Kimber 84M. No way I would destroy the ergos and aesthetics of any of my Kimbers by putting a can on them.

I have zero interest in an 18” barreled Kimber, but maybe that has something to do with the hideous stocks they put on them.

My Montanas are nirvana for me just the way they are, all pre-threaded models. If I were to buy a threaded Montana I would have my gunsmith cut the threaded portion of the barrel off and re-crown.
Seems to me, that if a guy bought a threaded model and didn't want the wart and threads, he could have a gunsmith chop 'em off. Or break out the hacksaw instead of bitching about warts and such. But what do I know?....
I could see putting a suppressor on a rifle that doesn’t point and carry as well as a Kimber 84M. No way I would destroy the ergos and aesthetics of any of my Kimbers by putting a can on them.

I have zero interest in an 18” barreled Kimber, but maybe that has something to do with the hideous stocks they put on them.

My Montanas are nirvana for me just the way they are, all pre-threaded models. If I were to buy a threaded Montana I would have my gunsmith cut the threaded portion of the barrel off and re-crown.

What he said. Like my 22 inch plain Jane Kimbers.
Seems to me, that if a guy bought a threaded model and didn't want the wart and threads, he could have a gunsmith chop 'em off. Or break out the hacksaw instead of bitching about warts and such. But what do I know?....

Yes, we should all pay extra for some ugly feature that 1 in 100 of us wants or will use. But what do I know?

Well I can solve that for you bill

I’ll buy that Montana 223 off of you. Heck being local would save you headache and dealing with shipping. So much so I should get a discount lol
Cans belong on ARs and such. ARs are ugly and carry like crap. Furthermore, if I was serious about a can it would be for two legged varmints. I really don’t care if my hunting rifle is loud because if I do my part, my quarry won’t care about the noise for very long, if at all.
But what do you know?......
When they haven’t tried it they cannot know. Only have a blind opinion based on emotion. Not experience

I give zero craps about the aesthetics of a rifle for hunting

Purely form and function. Suppressors add to this when done correctly. Not subtract
But what do you know?......

How to use ear plugs?
Originally Posted by kevinJ
When they haven’t tried it they cannot know. Only have a blind opinion based on emotion. Not experience

Purely form and function. Suppressors add to this when done correctly. Not subtract

If I was hunting from a hunting shack I’d invest in a nail and a pair of ear muffs.
Cans belong on ARs and such. ARs are ugly and carry like crap.

Well, that's your opinion, man. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Cans belong on ARs and such. ARs are ugly and carry like crap.

Well, that's your opinion, man. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Or, if I wanted an ugly rifle with a can, I’d be a Ruger American or a Savage Axis.

grin

Edited to say, Walter carried a 1911, unsuppressed. whistle

Yes, we should all pay extra for some ugly feature that 1 in 100 of us wants or will use. But what do I know?

If you honestly think that tomorrow, the cost of a Kimber would go down if they stopped threading the end - man I don't know what to say.

Just me, but if Kimber is threading them there must be a demand for them. No dog in the fight but with the lighter suppressors we get everyday, they may not look like a classic rifle, but they are excellent for kids/new shooters/etc to get in on shooting without blast and recoil that allow them to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship without the penalties. Plus, just like the scopes some of us like to use, if we start out with a lighter rifle like a Montana, we can add scopes that work better for us, same idea with suppressors I think. Even if you don't use them, they make shooting multiple rounds in practice pretty danged nice without the blast and associated recoil.
jeffery didn't know that......
My BIL has a transgendered cat named Jeffrey

Female he thought was a male and named Jeffrey after fresh prince lol

Hunting shacks, ground blinds, treestands, boot rubber

All hunting tools that I use as needed. With kids, that hunting tower makes a world of difference. Especially for elevating them safely at 6-8yrs old. So does the tripod, so does the suppressor.

But I’m guessing in TX you know how it’s done right. I should be so lucky as to get pointers from you!
I’ll continue to beg.

I bought one of your Kimber Montana's in .223 Rem a few years back when they stopped making them. It's my favorite rifle to carry around the woods. It's been lights out on deer with a 55gr TTSX.
I’ll continue to beg.

I bought one of your Kimber Montana's in .223 Rem a few years back when they stopped making them. It's my favorite rifle to carry around the woods. It's been lights out on deer with a 55gr TTSX.

I did the same in 7-08

Egg-zactly.

I don't care if my Montana's came with a picture of Nancy Pelosi on the barrel. It's simply the nicest carrying rifles I own. Not even close.
Originally Posted by Teal
I’ll continue to beg.

I did the same in 7-08

I'd love to find one of them.

I have a .243 Win as well. I have a ton of 7mm bullets for loading the .280. It would be a smooth transition to never use that again if I had a Montana in 7-08.
Shortaction

Why not see if kimber would do a Montana group buy !!!! Odds are low I’m sure but heck. I’d be in for one or two

223 16-18” barrel
1-7.5 twist
Threaded 1/2-28

Same here. I'd be ecstatic with a standard length barrel on a Montana in 223 as well.
I would be in for a Montana group buy. 223, 6.5 Grendel, and maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor
Originally Posted by KevinLA
I would be in for a Montana group buy. 223, 6.5 Grendel, and maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor

There are a few 6.5CM around in a Montana
Originally Posted by KevinLA

I’d definitely be on board for a Montana or Hunter in .223 - if they’d twist it properly...... say1:7 or 1:8 !
Originally Posted by 257heaven

I could live with way better. I really don't like the large nurled section.
I’ll continue to beg.

You can put me on that list for a couple of Kimbers in .223. I would even be happy with Hunters.
Just bucked some firewood with an 881 magnum, no hearing protection.

15 yrs ago, helping a 50 cal gunner clear a jam in mosul, fkn thing went off near a wall. Ears were ringing for at least 10 hrs.

We are american men, and we are replaceable. These beta male manginas who think they need a suppressor on a fkn hunting rifle........embarassing.

Last "new age" rifle i bought, went straight to the fairbanks, Ak gunsmith to cut those stoopid threads off the barrel. Best $40 I ever spent.
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

15 yrs ago, helping a 50 cal gunner clear a jam in mosul, fkn thing went off near a wall. Ears were ringing for at least 10 hrs.

We are american men, and we are replaceable. These beta male manginas who think they need a suppressor on a fkn hunting rifle........embarassing.

Last "new age" rifle i bought, went straight to the fairbanks, Ak gunsmith to cut those stoopid threads off the barrel. Best $40 I ever spent.

Yep👍
"Male Mangina's". ..thats some funny chit! And very true.....Hb
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

No can yet but I will have one. Makes it handy if you don't want everyone in the country to know what you're up to.

Also handy as fugg if you want to kill several critters in one sitting.

I just wish they offered threaded barrels as an option.

So it's you then... You killed them....
Wish I used a can earlier in life and hearing protection.

Very hard hearing in the right ear and many nights they ring so bad I can't sleep. Literally keeps me awake all night.
Were "cans" readily " available to make a difference? Nope...

Chainsaws, mill work and lotsa huntin, wouldn't a made a difference. But boy, they sure look cool nowadays.
Ha, Stihls and shootin the way of life in my early years, hearing protection wasn’t, wouldn’t change a thang.. 😀
Originally Posted by Teal
Wish I used a can earlier in life and hearing protection.

Very hard hearing in the right ear and many nights they ring so bad I can't sleep. Literally keeps me awake all night.

I can't hear well in my left ear, but I blame that on the drummer in our band being to my left all those years. Damn cymbals!

That’s exactly what I did with the one. I bought from you, chopped to 17” threaded it and went to town. Great walk around varmint/ hog gun
I have a NIB Montana .223 that I want to chop and thread. Can’t bring myself to do it. I’ve been on a 17” kick lately with some Tikkas.
Originally Posted by turkish
I have a NIB Montana .223 that I want to chop and thread. Can’t bring myself to do it. I’ve been on a 17” kick lately with some Tikkas.

My man is chumming the waters, lookin' for a big ol' fish. laugh

I’d take a Montana like that in .223 in a heartbeat. Even the 22” barreled ones make great suppressor host for hunting rifles in the field or even if only for load work ups.

If I was hunting from a hunting shack I’d invest in a nail and a pair of ear muffs.

If your hunting from a shack balance will matter even less. Set the rifle on a rest with a can on it easy peasy. There’s a reason that you see cans in common use even on stalking rifles all over the world from Africa to New Zealand to Great Britain and all other places that they are commonly available. Would you take the muffler off of your car and where muffs to quiet it down? Why deal with noise and muzzle blast that isn’t necessary especially for load development or hunting out of a blind or stand where balance is a nonissue.

Scopes add weight and negativity affect balance to but most of us wouldn’t be without those either on a serious hunting rifle.
FYI - for anyone that maybe looking for a 223 Montana I saw a new non-threaded in a LGS this morning for $1330 so PM for the details.
Originally Posted by txseadog
FYI - for anyone that maybe looking for a 223 Montana I saw a new non-threaded in a LGS this morning for $1330 so PM for the details.

I wouldn't expect that to last long in today's market.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Minutes if posted on here.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Minutes if posted on here.

A classifieds cowboy would have it within seconds, must be 100 of them that live in/on the classifieds sub-forum.
I wish they made a 223 Montana with the barrel profile and length like the one on my Adirondack in 300 BO. And do it in a 7 or at least an 8 twist. My 300 bo has a hammer flare on the end so it has a shoulder to seat a can against.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire