Home
Posted By: Fotis Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Okay guys this may sound silly but I have a dilemma. I have two huge safes in my house and they are full to capacity plus. It's gotten so bad I have to spend 5 minutes empting out my reloading man cave before I can get enough space to reload again. How do you guys with a lot of rifles store them? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
I solved that by not keeping anything that isn't used. I'm down to 5 centerfires with the intention of getting to 3-4.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Do you have room to build a walk-in safe? That’s my next move. Good luck! Tom
5 centerfires would only cover part of my .22 centerfire rifles and that is not near enough for the things I do..
Posted By: moosemike Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
5 centerfires would only cover part of my .22 centerfire rifles and that is not near enough for the things I do..

And yet your Dad and your Grandfather probably owned one or two centerfires at the most. What a spoiled, materialistic day we live in
Buy another gun safe.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy another gun safe.

X2
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by moosemike

And yet your Dad and your Grandfather probably owned one or two centerfires at the most. What a spoiled, materialistic day we live in

Mike,
I hardly see how having achieved bounty is a negative. Neither of my grandfathers even owned a centerfire rifle. A 16 gauge and a .22LR did the trick in NC back in the day. My Dad had just one (win M-70 30-06, Weaver K3) until he caught a mild case of Rifle Loony from me later in life and then accumulated maybe 10-12. But the times to which you refer are generally acknowledged as having been "tough." As long as we are conscious and appreciative of how they are now much easier, that's not a bad thing, IMO. And if the reason they are much easier is through our own hard work and success, all the more so - The American Dream, in fact.
I want to tell Fotis, the OP, "I'd like to have a problem like that", except for the fact that I actually DO have a problem like that. And being in the same boat, have little helpful advice to provide. I'm out of safe space, and out of space to put another safe, and my loading room gets treated the same as his!

Now, realistically, thinking back over 35 years of hunting (Western USA only...so far!) I can't think of a critter I killed that I couldn't have killed with Dad's old 30-06.
But that's not why Fotis started this thread I reckon...LOL...I better shut up.

Cheers,
Rex
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22

If you have disposable income, you need something to dispose it on and good quality firearms tend to retain their value.

There is always the question of whether something is wanted or needed.

I could get by with a dozen or so firearms of all types, but choose to have more than a dozen or so because I have enough disposable income to buy the material things that I want without depriving my family of anything that they need. When my oldest wanted to buy a new car, we sat down and ran the numbers to see if buying or leasing was the better choice. When she saw how much that new car would cost to buy or lease, maintain, and insure, she decided that driving her paid for 2008 Ford Escape Limited with 98K on the clock would be a better choice for her over the next 3 to 4 years.
Originally Posted by Teeder
I solved that by not keeping anything that isn't used. I'm down to 5 centerfires with the intention of getting to 3-4.

Yeah I have tried that once or twice smile

If you need more then 2 safes then think about building a safe room.
Posted By: whitearrow Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
i ran into a similar situation and i installed rifle rods and that allowed a decent amount of room opened up in the safe.
Big Ed
Posted By: moosemike Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by TRexF16

Mike,
I hardly see how having achieved bounty is a negative. Neither of my grandfathers even owned a centerfire rifle. A 16 gauge and a .22LR did the trick in NC back in the day. My Dad had just one (win M-70 30-06, Weaver K3) until he caught a mild case of Rifle Loony from me later in life and then accumulated maybe 10-12. But the times to which you refer are generally acknowledged as having been "tough." As long as we are conscious and appreciative of how they are now much easier, that's not a bad thing, IMO. And if the reason they are much easier is through our own hard work and success, all the more so - The American Dream, in fact.
I want to tell Fotis, the OP, "I'd like to have a problem like that", except for the fact that I actually DO have a problem like that. And being in the same boat, have little helpful advice to provide. I'm out of safe space, and out of space to put another safe, and my loading room gets treated the same as his!

Now, realistically, thinking back over 35 years of hunting (Western USA only...so far!) I can't think of a critter I killed that I couldn't have killed with Dad's old 30-06.
But that's not why Fotis started this thread I reckon...LOL...I better shut up.

Cheers,
Rex

These are easier times. For now
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
Originally Posted by whitearrow
i ran into a similar situation and i installed rifle rods and that allowed a decent amount of room opened up in the safe.
Big Ed

+1
Posted By: bbassi Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/11/22
fridge safe
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
I'll give you a hand Fotis. Let me know what your overflow is and I'll let you know which ones to send to me for "storage"....grin....
Posted By: Fotis Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Buy another gun safe.

Nowhere to put it
Posted By: EdM Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
This what I use.

https://www.storemoreguns.com/gun-safe-accessories/long-gun-storage/
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22

Yep. Dad and granddad both got it done for a lifetime with one centerfire rifle, one shotgun and a .22. My life long hunting partner doesn't have much more than that { only two centerfire rifles} and he is a hunting machine, just not a gun nut. Says he prefers to put his money elsewhere and I'm damn glad of it because a big part of the "elsewhere" is a hunting camp with 160 acres which I have been fortunate enough to enjoy hunting on/out of very much.

Yep....good plan in theory but I have tried many times with limited success 😁.....Hb
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by Fotis
Buy another gun safe.

Nowhere to put it

maybe it's time to build a secret underground bunk...... I mean wine cellar !

waterproof & bury a 20 ft conex in your backyard with acces to it from your cellar

.....[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: colodog Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Off site storage, I'd be glad to help! grin
Posted By: elkmen1 Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Fotis, I once also had two safes, both full along with storage in several closets. I am a realist, and as I grew older I realized that I had rifles that had not been used in years, and were NOT going to see daylight in my lifetime. So I sold the second safe, starting gifting, and selling rifles at reasonable prices, and have reduced the herd by at least 1/2 and still have more than I shoot. Philosophically I cannot justify having a weapon that I do not use nor will ever use, when I know others that would enjoy it and use it. That's my .02
Au contraire! I want to be able to look at them and work on them. It's tough to do that in a closet or safe.

Ditch the safes, tell the kid to get a job and use that extra bedroom.

Take protective measures if that's an issue...Tom
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22

I do not keep what I do not use. Though I have about 20 other rifles currently, they are only for retirement supplement after I finish playing with them. My main hunting rifles are few.
Posted By: goalie Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22

I'm in that process as well. I have a few more to purge, then I'm gtg.

It doesn't suck having all your hunting/target needs covered, but also having space in the safe to access them.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Yep....good plan in theory but I have tried many times with limited success 😁.....Hb

Me too with no success
Posted By: beretzs Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Me too with no success

Same. But it’s nice to have goals.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
You can usually fit a few in front of the others, muzzle down and butts resting on the sidewalls.
Posted By: hanco Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
I have too many too!
Posted By: Dukester Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
I suggest you clean out a closet. Have a yard sale, consolidate or give it all to Goodwill. Turn the closet into a safe. Two options:

1) If you just want to keep honest folk and kids out, then pull sheet rock off the inside, install chicken wire or other barrier to create a little discomfort in trying to access through the wall then put up new rock. Install a new 16 ga metal door with a grade 1 commercial lock and install a latch guard. This should be sufficient.

2) If you want something more like a safe, then take the inside rock off, line all the studs with at least 1/4" steel plates and maybe put a few strips of stainless across them, then put up a layer or two of 5/8" fire rated rock. Don't forget to line the ceiling and floor with steel. Get a 3/8" steel channel frame and secure to a reinforced header and jamb studs and then hang a vault door on it. That should suffice.

Add a small air vent and return to help keep the temp and humidity right or at least put dryers in there.
Posted By: las Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
You aren't doing it right, according to Pat McManus.

You are supposed to have just one long rack that can be added to, always leaving a space or two empty at the end so your wife doesn't catch on.

Or use the las method. Crap -looking, but accurate, guns no one in their right mind would want to steal. smile
Posted By: GRF Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Fotis; although never having had "lots" of guns I was up to 30 at one point, I have fewer now. I have three gun lockers in the house, one in my gun room two in the utility room. Smaller lockers or safes in other parts of the house a possible solution? If there is enough height in your gun room you could put those plastic covered hooks for hanging bicycles into the beams and use two to hang rifles. Trigger locks is needed for security. It would look goofy but it would give added storage space.

Good luck finding solution.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Okay guys this may sound silly but I have a dilemma. I have two huge safes in my house and they are full to capacity plus. It's gotten so bad I have to spend 5 minutes empting out my reloading man cave before I can get enough space to reload again. How do you guys with a lot of rifles store them? Any help would be appreciated.

buy another safe. You can always find some place to put it
Quick detach rings really help with the scoped rifles. Might get expensive converting all of them though if they do not already have QD’s on them.
That was my initial solution. Now I still need another safe…
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/12/22
Tom25/06: That is what I did - my home "had" a "Mormon Pantry" in it (a large room with solid walls and cement foundation walls and NO windows) into a gun vault room.
I bought a steel door and special closure system then had that room added to my security/alarm system and I feel MUCH security now and for the last many years.
By coincidence I had filled my guns safes (which are NOW inside my gun vault room) up as well - that got me motivated to renovate, re-alarm and reinforce.
Best of luck to you but I hope you will either get another gun-safe or do some serious remodeling/reinforcing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: DennisB Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/13/22
Built a "storm shelter" in my basement when I built the house. 14' x 12', 10 inch concrete walls, concrete floor and ceiling and vault door. Enough room for the guns. Don't use it for anything else.....reload in another area.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/13/22
Well Fotis, since you clearly have about twice as many rifles as I do and have triggered my jealousy, I can tell you where you can put your rifles; but, then you'll be mad at me.
Posted By: d500lnn Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/13/22
I have two safes as well. I sold quite a few rifles over the past few years. Most I regret. I have scaled down a small I try to have an honest conversation with myself about selling any more. I NEVER sell one now without waiting at least a month from initial urge to purge! It’s saved quite a few😂
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/14/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

buy another safe. You can always find some place to put it

^^^^^^
Posted By: EdM Re: Where to put the rifles - 01/14/22
As I noted above, you can add significant capacity to your safes by using this system. Remove all existing "rack" and replace with the rods.

https://www.storemoreguns.com/gun-safe-accessories/long-gun-storage/
© 24hourcampfire