Home
I’ve heard all the benefits of carbon barrels but how do they hold up to impacts in the field? Has anyone experienced chips, nicks or cracks and is small damage like this repairable?
I've experienced no issues with durability. None.

*Mine are all Proofs.

Thanks for your feedback. Ill be picking one up soon, I plan on this being my backcountry elk and deer rifle. I definitely don’t want issues way back in.
I have 2 rifles with Bartlein CF wrapped barrels. I've only hunted with one of them over the last 2 seasons. It does have a couple small nicks in the CF, nothing other than cosmetic. Of the CF wrapped I think the Proof might hold up better on the outside, but not a better barrel other than maybe "prettier".
I've wondered about this as well. I've hunted a proof barreled rifle a couple of times this year but not heavily. Looking forward to feedback from others who've used one longer in hard use.
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel
I’ll have to look for that video.
That sounds pretty tough. Thanks HB!
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
There was a video on YouTube where I think it is the owner of PR is at a range with one of their barrels screwed into an action. The guy shoots a nice group with gun then the owner, or whoever he is, unscrews barrel from action and proceeds to demolish a concrete block, barrel took hardly any damage. Then he screws it back in and they shoot another good group! Any question about durability appeared to be answered.

HeavyBarrel

I watched that vid, impressive as hell.

Heavy barrel; PM sent.
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
I have had similar questions about the carbon wrapped barrels ...... my question is more about longevity. I have rifles I bought in the 70's that, except for some "character dings" from normal use, are all in great condition. Will the carbon barrels hold up to aging? Don't know ..... they haven't been around long enough. That being said ..... I will try them at some point. Don't have that many years left to answer the longevity question ... LOL

Mine will be shot out and replaced well before five decades passes—they won't make it 10 years.
I have 3 Proofs and have been impressed with them for a few reasons. I have not dropped or had any instances to test the barrels for damage but with normal usage they look like they did when I got them.

7mm REM Mag with a 26” Sendero Lite
6mm CM with a 24” Sendero Lite
223 Wylde with a 18” Sendero Lite on an AR

I use a suppressor on the 6mm and AR; both with ASR Brakes.

I like how they feel, look, carry, but most importantly, all three rifles are excellent on accuracy. I would put them up against any other name brand steel barrels that I have for accuracy and they might in fact be the most accurate.

I used the 6mm with a group of friends this weekend and it got lots of awesome comments.

I will most definitely buy Proof Carbon Fiber barrels again.
© 24hourcampfire