Home
Posted By: pacecars 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
Confession time, I have never owned a rifle chambered for the Everyman magnum 7mm Remington Magnum. I have had .300 Mags of various persuasions and even a 7mm SAUM and a 7mm WSM but not the popular one. I know it probably won’t do a whole lot more than my .30-06 would do but I just found one in a Beretta Mato at a very good price so maybe I need to find out what I am missing? Of course they also have one in a .338 Win Mag too! I had a Mato in .30-06 with the Dakota action that was in the factory case with Talley mounts, sling and extra mags that I sold to Roger Vardy in Australia several years ago and wished I would have kept it. This is the first ones I have seen for sale at a decent price in a while
I got my 1st last year because I wanted another SS mod 70 CRF action, so far its alright but not really doing anything for me other chamberings couldn't do already.

Perils of rifle looneyism laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
I'd buy the 338wm instead.. Just sayin
Posted By: pacecars Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That does have merit since the 7 Mag would probably sit in the safe unless I go on an Elk hunt in which case the .338 would probably be a better choice.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
I had Ruger 77's in 7mm Rem and 338 Win. I liked the 7 a heck of a lot more
Posted By: moosemike Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by pacecars
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That does have merit since the 7 Mag would probably sit in the safe unless I go on an Elk hunt in which case the .338 would probably be a better choice.

Well with that line of thought you best go straight to the 458 Win
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/18/22
Favorite cartridge by a long shot.
Posted By: 450BM Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Funny, I’ve never owned a 7mag or 30-06. My 18 year old son bought himself a 338 Win Mag last year and that was also a gun I didn’t think I’d ever see in my house. It’s in a TC Venture and it surprised me by being tolerable to shoot, quite accurate and the Venture is a rifle I wouldn’t hesitate to buy again.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Buy it and load it with 160 grain Nosler Partitions and go kill big game and that would be including elk.
^^^^^^^Truth^^^^^^.

In reality, not loonyism that is all any hunter really needs. But then it wouldn’t be looneyism laugh
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I remember many...many years ago Jim Zumbo penned an remark in "Outdoor Life" magazine the 7 Mag killed like a 30-06. Just making that statement damn near broke my heart... always thinking the 7Mag was way more cartridge.
Posted By: mwarren Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I really like the 7mm Rem Mag...mine shoot the Vortex 140 ttsx under an inch. The same with Federal 140 trophy copper. I'm more in the camp of using a "set it and forget it" scope and there isn't much drop with either of the above at a range that I'm pulling the trigger on an animal. I've got confidence in those bullets on big game and do feel the 7mm Rem Mag offers something different that the 30-06.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
My 7 mag Winchester 70 classic stainless has gotten way more use than any of my other rifles by far. If I need one gun when I gotta make a shot I grab the 7 mag.

Problem with it is it really is the perfect balance of rifle and you really don’t need any other rifles up to and some could argue including the 300 wm if you have a 7 rm and that doesn’t sit well with a looney.
Posted By: BCHunter666 Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Buy both. I have owned several 7 mags. I tend to agree they don't do much an 06 won't. We all read to much and split hairs over the ballistics. Makes no difference. I say by the 7mm and shoot it to Death! Good luck!
Dang

A Beretta Mato

in .338???

Sign me up
Posted By: pullit Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I will get flamed for saying this, but I had a great 7mm mag that was accurate and sold it. I later got a 280AI and it is very accurate and I like it as well. (Here comes the flame part) If I had to do it all over again, I would just go with the 7mm Mag and call it done.
My 280 AI is pushing a 140 gr bullet at 3100 FPS and a 7 mag is a hair faster. Why not just get the 7 mag and not have to run as hard as you can with a 280 AI to try and catch it?
People don't like belted cases but they have never given me any problem reloading (maybe I have been lucky).
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
It's a rifle! Buy it or surrender your rifle looney card! Lol! 7mm Rem Mag is another great one and it's really neat, as far as I'm concerned, that we have so many great choices....
Posted By: hanco Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I have 4 of them, load 140 ballistic tips with 64 grains of IMR 4350. I like them, little recoil, kills well, my favorite cartridge. I have 300’s, 338 Win mags, 264 Win mags, 30-06’s,270’s. I’d say they all kill the same. It’s all in where you hit them
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I shot a 7 MM Rem mag and a 7MM Weatherby Mag for 5 years or so. All I found was it had more recoil and burned more powder but didn't do any thing my .06 did any better.The Weatherby had better stock recoil wise than the Model 70 Winchester 7 MM Rem mag
Posted By: hotsoup Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I remember an article I read in a gun rag, perhaps 30 years ago, written by Sam fadala. I believe the title was "the 3 kings". It made a case for the tree top, most popular cartridges for the common man. 270win, 30-06, and the 7mm rem mag. I think it might be true today. Of course ymmv.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Still using the same 7mm rem. magnum I bought in 1970 on it's 2nd barrel, yeah got a walker trigger in it too(the original). No problems, when you fail to kill with a 7mm rem mag it's user error not the cartridge .mb
Posted By: saddlesore Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

No problems, when you fail to kill with a 7mm rem mag it's user error not the cartridge .mb

As with anything in the .06 class case up thru all the magnums
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy it and load it with 160 grain Nosler Partitions and go kill big game and that would be including elk.

Fact. I have almost always used a 160 Partition, at 3000 fps. It kills well at whatever range you can hit at. Years ago, I also used Barnes X on some animals that also died. I like my 7 mags, but they sit pretty much idle since I have several lesser cartridges and I mainly hunt deer, now.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I remember an article I read in a gun rag, perhaps 30 years ago, written by Sam fadala. I believe the title was "the 3 kings". It made a case for the tree top, most popular cartridges for the common man. 270win, 30-06, and the 7mm rem mag. I think it might be true today. Of course ymmv.

The Camp Fire agrees... Most of the "Killed the most ..." polls that pop up, .30-06 and .270 Win are generally number one and two. 7RM is consistently in the top 5.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Very few animals that a 7RM and high quality 160 won't take care of.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
It’s a faster 7mm-08.

No more.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Asking in the rifle loony section where seldom is heard a discouraging word, I wouldn't expect anything but a strong affirmation to buy. Being a card carrying analytical, I apply my three things rule to any prospective purchase. Do I want it? Do I need it? Can I afford it? If those all pass your individual sniff test then sure, go for it.

Since you asked however, here is my take on the 7mm RM. As a young guy with a new job and the intent to go out west elk hunting some day, I wanted a perfect one size fits all chambering that would do the job on our Wisconsin whitetails and the out west elk too. I'd borrowed a .30-30 and a .300 WM from a gun guy friend of my dad and killed some deer with them before I could afford my own rifle. It was one of those Goldilocks things for our deer here. One was too small and the other one was too large. A 7mm RM Remington 700 BDL was just right to my way of thinking. I killed a bunch of deer and some elk with it and modified it lighter. Then one cold opening morning I was sitting there in my heavy orange puffy when a nice shootable 8 pointer needed shooting. At the shot that magnum compressed my puffy and what stopped a lot of the recoil was my forehead. One and done was a good thing because there wouldn't have been a second shot for a time. As I sat there kind of dazed, I realized that I'd just had some sense knocked into me and that while I'd gotten the deer, I'd also just blown the hell out of whatever was behind the deer. Deer are only 12" wide and I sure didn't need a magnum anything. I built up a 7mm-08 after that and have lived happily ever after. That 7mm RM is in the back of the gun safe now and it hasn't been out hunting since. Thinking back on the elk I've shot, there isn't one of them that wouldn't have been on the meat pole if I'd have used that "tiny" 7mm-08 instead.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I remember many...many years ago Jim Zumbo penned an remark in "Outdoor Life" magazine the 7 Mag killed like a 30-06. Just making that statement damn near broke my heart... always thinking the 7Mag was way more cartridge.

In one of the books he wrote concerning Elk hunting he loved the 7 mag and said it was better then his 30-06 he always carried. Go Figure
7 mm RM shoots a whole lot faster than a 7mm-08 and a whole lot flatter. I guess maybe the recoil could bother some, my wife shot hers till the end of her career. Made some great shots as it was a flat shooter and easy on recoil. It is my second favorite rifle for big game. The .270 next and .25-06 next. The old .30-06 fits in here some where. I used the 7mm08 over the years, but have never taken it when the chips were down.. Probably never would.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
While I agree its a fine cartridge, around these parts it will sit on the used gun rack longer than most other rifles of different chamberings,, even pre 6.5 Creedmoor days.

The 2 or 3 shops I frequent quit ordering new 7 mags for stock 20+ years ago and they tend to low ball offers on trades for the 7.

Like I say it could be a regional thing too but 270, 30-06 and the various .30 magnums, even the UMs and 30-378 seem to sell much easier.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
I was slow to buy one. I got a 264 Win Mag at Remington employee sales, the wait for a 7mm RM was a long one and the 264 wasn’t in much demand. I sold the 264 when I went back to school. The buyer gave me a down payment of $200 and then split.
I have now had a 700 BDL 7mm RM for quite a while. It has a beautiful stock, stainless steel coated barrel with a DuPont iron stuff and then blued. It is one of the most accurate rifles I’ve had. It shoots ABLR’s very well also.
I have a 77 tanger in 7mm RM also. I’ve gotten only one load to shoot into 1 MOA with that rifle, 2 MOA is average for it. The dang thing kicked like a mule until I re-stocked it with a B&C. Now it doesn’t kick bad, but I’m planning on re-barreling it. I think it will be a 257 Weatherby.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22
My second big game rifle purchase.
Pre Garcia Sako. Killed a cow elk, several deer.
Needed more, got a 300 Win.
And have bought a bunch of guns since, including a Tikka NIB, and
A lefty Ruger (I'm not lefty😁) in 7mm Rem.

Could have stopped with that Sako.

But it hasn't seen sunlight in over 20 years.
Looneyism. Always a "better" thing to play with.
Posted By: aheider Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/19/22

Originally Posted by pullit
I will get flamed for saying this, but I had a great 7mm mag that was accurate and sold it. I later got a 280AI and it is very accurate and I like it as well. (Here comes the flame part) If I had to do it all over again, I would just go with the 7mm Mag and call it done.
My 280 AI is pushing a 140 gr bullet at 3100 FPS and a 7 mag is a hair faster. Why not just get the 7 mag and not have to run as hard as you can with a 280 AI to try and catch it?
People don't like belted cases but they have never given me any problem reloading (maybe I have been lucky).

Exactly my experience. I built a 280AI on a tikka action and then picked up the same in 7mm mag. Less fuss to reload and run the 7mag with a touch more velocity.
Posted By: surefire7 Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
I am a 280 Rem. fan. I have used it mostly on Pronghorn with Winchester 140 gr. Ballistic Silvertips @ 3,000fps.

However, when I go to Africa, I take my 7mmRM, with DoubleTap 175 gr. NP @ 2,900fps.

If my ammo doesn’t show up, 280 ammo is pretty much nonexistent, but 7mmRM is fairly common.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
While I agree its a fine cartridge, around these parts it will sit on the used gun rack longer than most other rifles of different chamberings,, even pre 6.5 Creedmoor days.

The 2 or 3 shops I frequent quit ordering new 7 mags for stock 20+ years ago and they tend to low ball offers on trades for the 7.

Like I say it could be a regional thing too but 270, 30-06 and the various .30 magnums, even the UMs and 30-378 seem to sell much easier.

I bought a used Rem 700 7mm Mag outside of a gun shop for $210.00 as the gun dealer did not want the gun in trade. I was also given the original box of ammo with just 4 rounds missing.

The gun shop had four Remington 7mags in stock and didn't want another.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
I got a 7mm RM about 35 years ago, a 77 Tanger, and put a 2 1/2 - 8 Vari X III on it. For several years, it was Pretty much the only rifle I used for deer hunting, first with NBT's, then, having to try something new, the original X-bullets. I could never get them to shoot well enough to please me, but they worked and I kept on killing deer with it, a lot of deer. Eventually, I got bored with it and bounce around now among eight or ten different calibers of rifles and handguns for hunting. My favorite for some time has been the 6.5X55 which seems to work just as well for my purposes with a whole lot less noise and confusion when the trigger breaks. I gave the 7mm RM to my son several years ago and he will probably never use another rifle for hunting deer or similar game.
Posted By: pacecars Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
I guess I thought about it too many times and went with the 7mm Mag version. Now for scope and mounts
Posted By: GreggH Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
Bought one years ago. Wanted it to build a 257 Wby on. Made the mistake of shooting the donor. Ragged holes with 140 Berger’s , 150 Nosler BT and 160 Nosler Accubonds. Decided to leave it alone and hunted it for the next 5-6 years. Deer, hogs coyotes and black bear fell to that rifle. Nothing wrong with the big 7. Would hunt the world over with that rifle.
GreggH
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
I always keep a few 7 rem mags around. It's the round I recommend the most to newbies that say they are interested in long range. The just run well in Remington 700 style actions, most are twisted fast enough to run higher bc stuff, ammo is typically common, and recoil is light enough that most can handle one, and they fit a rem mag with room and feed well.

My old neighbor who hunts a bit but isn't really into it called a few years ago and said he wanted to have a rifle built. One good all around hunting rifle that he could learn to shoot longer but still hike around with and asked me to spec it out. I had him get a bighorn origin, a bartlien 8.5 twist 24" 2b, a micky stock, and trigger tech. I local Smith who does great work put it together and chambered it in 7 rem mag for him. He's really happy with it.

I've personally got more 280 AIs than 7 rems and also love 28 nosler but I always keep my old boat paddle 77mkii 7 rem and another faux Alaskan ti 7 rem I put together with Alaskan ti parts on a ss 700 action. Several others have come and gone.

Bb
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by pacecars
I guess I thought about it too many times and went with the 7mm Mag version. Now for scope and mounts

Pictures when you get it set up.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
My wife a small woman 5'-0' and 115 lbs has used a BAR 7mm RM custom from Browning with a 20" barrel and stock shortened to fit her for several decades.....has shot a train car load of deer and bears....never had to track one.....Barnes 150 gr. has been doing the trick for her....
Posted By: DubThomas Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - 01/20/22
I've had 2 rifles in 7 RM and wish I'd never gotten rid of one. I bought a Model 70 CRF when they came back out with CRF and used it in the NWT for Dall Sheep. That's the one I regret selling. It shot 162 gr. Hornady BTSP handloads well under and inch all day long. I still have a Browning 1885 in 7 RM that's just too pretty to take to the deer lease and bang it around in the utv. I did take it out last year and whacked an axis doe and then a pretty nice axis buck with it. It is currently shooting some old Federal factory fodder with 150 grain Sierra BTSP. Once those are gone it gets 145 grain Speer Grand Slam handloads.
© 24hourcampfire