Home
I know they still list them on their website, but if you search gunbroker or other sites, it seems like everything is the Ruger American's now. Have they cut way back on production or do they just do periodic batch runs? It's a shame, because they had some great Hawkeye models, but their price was becoming an issue I guess.
Ruger doesn't flood the market with the same stuff all of the time.

Hawkeyes will be back.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Hawkeyes will be back.

I hope you are right!
The question is what will they cost... I'm guessing the days of CDNN dumping them for $500 are gone...
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
The question is what will they cost... I'm guessing the days of CDNN dumping them for $500 are gone...

When will or if we will every see cdnn with anything of quality ever again? Sure wish I picked up one of those Steyr pro hunters..,
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

When will or if we will every see cdnn with anything of quality ever again? Sure wish I picked up one of those Steyr pro hunters..,

Touche. Most of the "why the hell didn't I buy one of those" memories I have involve CDNN. M77s, M70s, etc.
I don't like the way they finish the hawkeyes. plus I think the name hawkeye is pretty hokey. I have a m77 mk2 that I love, its walnut with a deep polish blue. the heavy bead blasting look they used in more recent years I don't like. While mine shoots excellent its taken a bunch of tweaks to get there. I just don't think there is much of a market for them anymore. the CRF fanatics aren't as prevalent. I think the bolt action hunting rifle market is pretty tuff anyways. how many more bolt action hunting rifles are needed? I don't think there is a bunch of young people buying them. there are millions on the used market. The rifle has to give me something I don't have already. The new CZ 600's look very interesting, I can't wait to check one out.
I would be happy if lipseys would commission a run of all weathers
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I don't like the way they finish the hawkeyes. plus I think the name hawkeye is pretty hokey.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I'd be interested in a guide gun, but right now there isn't anything in the Hawkeye line up that really interests me. I have enough rifles without sights, and don't need anything more powerful than a .30-06. I love decent open sights on a bolt gun. Ruger did that well. Wish they would get back to it.
Have owned three, still have one. Best bolt gun they ever made IMO. Not perfect, but I never had a single problem with any of them.

I’ve also owned tangers and a MKII, so know something about them as well.
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Hawkeyes will be back.

👍🏻

Once upon a time, when cartridge and model choices were more limited, a maker could crank out a bunch and let them float around on the market until they sold. Not now. Everybody wants their stuff just so, and they’d go broke trying to have every model out there all the time. Now if you see something you like, better grab it while the gettin’s good.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Have owned three, still have one. Best bolt gun they ever made IMO. Not perfect, but I never had a single problem with any of them.

I’ve also owned tangers and a MKII, so know something about them as well.

I did like the bluing job they used to have. Wish someone would duplicate that.
The purple bluing?

The finish on the Hawkeyes, both matte blue and stainless, STINKS!!!

Ruger MK/II gloss blue and their original stainless is MUCH better than the Hawkeyes!!!
Leave it to Scott to summarize the thread with a GIF. . . . . . laugh

Originally Posted by SKane
I don't like the way they finish the hawkeyes. plus I think the name hawkeye is pretty hokey.

I could go for an ultralight Hawkeye stainless 7mm-08 with the old durable finish.
Originally Posted by SKane

Yup
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

Ruger MK/II gloss blue and their original stainless is MUCH better than the Hawkeyes!!!

Not all Hawkeyes were matte. Mine is gloss blue
Distributors place orders for Rugers, Ruger make a run.

Cheap sells.
Do a semi custom on a Ruger if you don't like what's offered.
Was there ever a 250 Savage factory chambering?
Affirmative.

Better or pleasing to your eye?
Same.

Originally Posted by moosemike

Not all Hawkeyes were matte. Mine is gloss blue
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

Not a Hawkeye to my knowledge, unless Lipseys did one that I missed. I missed it, Lipsey's did an RSI Hawkeye.
Lipseys did a run of stainless hawkeye RSIs in .250 savage.
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I should have googled it. smile

$1920 bought one on gunbroker last week.

https://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=168010
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad

yeah, wish I'd have bought one of those 250 Savages in the RSI model back in the late 80s, early 90s...

talk about a well balanced rifle.... one in 257 Roberts would have worked real nicely also....either or...
Originally Posted by pabucktail

yep, ive got one. not particularly accurate, but a very nice carbine nonetheless.
The last 338 win mag we had at sportsman's Warehouse ran 1179 that's a lot for a Ruger 77
Originally Posted by Fotis
The last 338 win mag we had at sportsman's Warehouse ran 1179 that's a lot for a Ruger 77

It sure is

Strictly a matter of taste. I like the matte, and it looks great in a walnut stock. For my part, I don’t care for alloy bottom metal, though I suffer it on a couple or three. The Hawkeye stocks are slimmer and better looking, to me anyway.
Lot's of years in Alaska the Stainless MKII is my all time favorite. The stainless they used resisted rust as good or better than any other brand. Course I like the Zytel stocks to, so take it for what it's worth.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Lot's of years in Alaska the Stainless MKII is my all time favorite. The stainless they used resisted rust as good or better than any other brand. Course I like the Zytel stocks to, so take it for what it's worth.

I completely agree!
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Strictly a matter of taste. I like the matte, and it looks great in a walnut stock. For my part, I don’t care for alloy bottom metal, though I suffer it on a couple or three. The Hawkeye stocks are slimmer and better looking, to me anyway.

I’ll have a Hawkeye (matte) stainless in a 308 in the injection molded stock wearing a 2-8x36 VX3. I have more expensive rifles with more expensive glass, but that is likely to change real soon. I’ve accumulated too much stuff that I don’t have or see the need for. The Ruger just fits me better and shoulders better. Yesterday, I called their customer service just to see if I could order a walnut Hawkeye stock. 10 minutes and $249 later the process was done. 7 to 10 days to ship. Pretty damn good in this day and age.
Originally Posted by Fotis

That’s double what I paid for mine. Got it, well the wife got it in Dec. 2018 on close out at Wal-Mart for like $589. Mines a Hawkeye SS .338.
© 24hourcampfire