Home
I picked up a Remington Mountain SS back in November that came with a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 on it. Took it to the range in December to let my son shoot it and groups were pretty bad ( 3-shot 2-2.5 inches) with the only ammo I had for it. I shot a group just to see what was up and it went .86”. Since son #2 liked the gun but shoots much better groups with the .243 an ‘06 I figured I’d post it for sale here. When I did several members offered up the sage info to hold onto it. I pulled the sale and decided I’d give it a fair shot. Having recently liquidated all my .308 fodder I made a post here to see if anyone wanted to sell or trade me few rounds of various types. The fire came through as usual and I had 8 new loads to test drive. We got a nice cold front through so I enjoyed shooting in the 40 degree temps although the N wind was gusty.

I fired seven of the eight loads (lowly 3-shot groups) and including my initial test here are the results:

150 Fed Buckmaster Bonded. .86”
165 Fed Fusion. 1.2”
165 Fed Accubond. .462
165 Fed Trophy Bonded Tip. 1.05”
150 Vor-Tx TTSX. .93”
175 Fed Terminal Ascent 1.0”
185 Fed Berger Juggernaut 1.47”
168 Fed Sierra Matchking. .662”

All in all I’m damn impressed for a pencil-barelled mountain gun that I’ve got 24 rds of total experience with! I’m generally a Model 70 guy but this little Remington has my interest. I’m going to scrap the too high rail and janky rings for some low Talley’s so that I can actually get a cheek weld when firing. Looking forward to seeing if I can improve from here.
I’ve had a lot of 700’s. I’ve had good luck with them all shooting well.
I had a Rem 700Mtn rifle in 243 for a while, VERY accurate. I also had a Ruger 77 UltraLite in 250 Savage. I believe Remington had a better idea by making their skinny barrel 22” instead of Ruger’s 20”.
I like at least 22” barrels on my hunting rifles. My Ruger 77M II 250 Savage at present has a 24” barrel and it is no problem toting through the woods.
Alaninga - I agree the 22 inch barrel feels better than the 20” on the Ruger UL and the Win Compacts - it helps a little with flip and muzzle blast as well.

I really like the feel of the rifle but an a little concerned about being able to hold steady in field conditions. I use sticks or a backpack whenever possible but if an offhand shot is needed I will likely miss the extra heft my other rifles have that helps steady a pounding heart and the ever present wind where I normally hunt. I will try using a Harris bipod on my next range trip to see if accuracy is affected. Prone is my favorite shooting position so if the pod doesn’t throw off the accuracy I may go that route.
Throw a Triggertech or a Timney in it and you’ll like it even more.
© 24hourcampfire