Home
Posted By: rj308 Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
If I was in the market looking for a better than average hunting rifle today, I think I would take a serious look at one of these.

https://www.mauser.com/en/mauser-18/mauser-18-stainless.html

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Can't go wrong with that
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Is the barrel threaded into the receiver or slip fit? I like the "special steel" in the marketing.
Posted By: devnull Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Is the barrel threaded into the receiver or slip fit? I like the "special steel" in the marketing.

18s are threaded into the receiver, 12's are thermo fit. The 12 I have is a hammer. A buddy has the 18 and it too is a hammer. I think the trigger is better on the 12s as it has a steel trigger shoe and no creep. Mine breaks right at 2 lbs from the factory.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
They look nice, I’d like to have one
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Almost 7 lbs bare is a bummer.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by devnull

18s are threaded into the receiver, 12's are thermo fit. The 12 I have is a hammer. A buddy has the 18 and it too is a hammer. I think the trigger is better on the 12s as it has a steel trigger shoe and no creep. Mine breaks right at 2 lbs from the factory.

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: rj308 Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Almost 7 lbs bare is a bummer.

I believe that weight spec is for the magnum calibers. I've seen advertisements that showed weights of 2.9 kg (6lbs 6oz) for standard calibers and 3.1 kg for the magnums. Still it's good to see another option in stainless on the market. RJ
Trying to knock Tikka out perhaps????
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Trying to knock Tikka out perhaps????

The M18 & Sauer 100 were both going after the Tikka market and both rifles have some superior features compared to the Tikka T3.
Posted By: shootem Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
I guess if I have to ask I can’t afford it. But what are the prices like? Noticed in the catalog they show a 98 receiver & bolt. Does Mauser sell that?
Posted By: cooperfan Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Eurooptics is a good place to buy M18's and M12's
Posted By: PA_Probe Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Doesn't look too bad. Stock is a bit Kimber-ish looking in the forearm and a little Hogue-ish in the grip area. I generally hate that Hogue grip as it makes my pinky overlap my ring finger for some reason.
What's the price point on these?
Posted By: shootem Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Eurooptics is a good place to buy M18's and M12's

They have them priced there. Model 18 is $699.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by devnull

Interesting. I didn't realize the 18s weren't pinned like the 12s. (It's ironic that lots of people complain about the 12 being more expensive but the barrel can't be replaced, then the cheaper 18 has the threads.)
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
I have one in 6.5 PRC blue, they're very accurate. Trigger is sweet after adjusting. Weight isn't a concern .
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
If they made it in left hand, I would buy one. Last year I saw them going for just over $500.
Posted By: kandpand Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 01/31/22
What is the twist rate for the .223?
Posted By: EdM Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
We had four M12 308's out this past weekend culling whitetail does. All went well as expected. I know nothing of the M18 though.
Posted By: shootem Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Originally Posted by kandpand
What is the twist rate for the .223?

Don’t see that listed. Here’s a catalog download. Twist specs are in the first set of tables when you scroll down.

https://www.mauser.com/fileadmin/Editoren/PDF-Downloads/Katalog/MAU_Gesamtkatalog_EN.pdf
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Have yet to read anything bad about these. Don’t see any new CF rifles in my future, but one of these would do. Not much SS in cheap rifles these days.

I’d really like an M03, but that’s just crazy talk.
I've only handled a blued gun and it definitely had the all to common Tupperware feel but for the price I will probably try one if I find the right chambering...
Posted By: Northman Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Does it have an integral rail on top for directly mounting rings/mounts?

No...?

Not interested..
Posted By: devnull Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Originally Posted by Northman
Does it have an integral rail on top for directly mounting rings/mounts?

No...?

Not interested..

The M12 Impact comes with a Rechnagel 20MOA picatinny rail. Otherwise, I believe it uses a pair of Remington front bases.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
The M12 uses 98 mounts.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
The M18 & the Sauer 100 have a Remington 700 LA base pattern.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Are these available yet, and if so where?

I have handled a blued one with that stock. I don't care for the removable butt. Not a deal killer. I like the longer LOP. The "frosted" stainless on this is a bit of a concern. Ruger's frosted stainless mars if you look at it wrong. Savage's didn't last more than a few ride in a 4 wheeler gun bracket.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
I bought my M18 blued when they were on sale at EuroOptics for around $500. It's one of the most accurate rifles I own, so no reason to complain over cosmetics, Is it pretty, No- but it shoots. I also bought the M12 on sale in .308, it's going to my designated hunting out of a blind in the woods rifle. The short 20" barrel sure will be an advantage.... actually hope to finally get it in the woods this weekend.
Posted By: Castle_Rock Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22
Unfortunately the 223 has a four round magazine and a 10 twist barrel
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/01/22

I have a Mauser 18 in 6.5 PRC. It is the model with the olive green cerakote finish. It is a tackdriver. Solid half moa with handlods.
Posted By: KevinLA Re: Mauser 18 Stainless - 02/03/22
Happy with my blued M18. Accurate rifle. I believe the promotion a few years ago was buy a Mauser rifle, get 50% off Minox optics.
© 24hourcampfire