Home
Posted By: johnw Sako AII Ring/Mount Options? - 02/08/22
I have a recently acquired Sako AII .243 that came with what I imagine are original Sako Optilock ringmounts. My Leupold VX1 3-9 sits quite high when mounted in them with ~5/16" between the scope bell and the barrel, and/or the taper.

And I see that Sako makes a lower ringmount, but it still looks overly built and complex.

What are my options for a ring/mount that is low, clean looking and secure?
Posted By: johnw Re: Sako AII Ring/Mount Options? - 02/08/22
These are what is on the rifle currently.

[Linked Image from customshopinc.com]
I’ve Leupold ring mounts on my Sako. They are available in low.

Pretty simple units.
MM,

Is that an L579, Forester, or AII?

I didn't find a suitable ringmount on Leupold's page...
Mines an L61r Finnbear.
Pretty sure this is what I bought. Med, 1”, gloss. They hold a 6x42 nicely.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362132713

Ordered...

Thank you....
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Pretty sure this is what I bought. Med, 1”, gloss. They hold a 6x42 nicely.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362132713

That will work, they are not close to being my favorites but for a 243 should work fine. You have a few options.

1. Burris bases and whatever two piece ring you want to use.
2.Conetrol bases(could be a PITA) to match the bases to the receiver.
3.S&K rings and bases

Interested in a link to your favorites?
Thank you...

Safe to assume that the Burris base is a weaver style?
Originally Posted by johnw
Thank you...

Safe to assume that the Burris base is a weaver style?

No longer made but available ,the base(s) slides on to the dovetail and then you install rings just like you would with a STD 2 piece rings. You can find them from time to time on Ebay and

gun broker.

No experience with new Burris Weaver type bases.

I would call Conetrol and S&K rather then peruse their websites. I think the S&K is probably the easiest to install and look great.

I had an A III and tried new optilocks........UGGG
Posted By: rembo Re: Sako AII Ring/Mount Options? - 02/08/22
Here are Burris bases that accept the Redfield ring system on an L461.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And a set of original Sako windage adjustable rings on the same rifle when I received it.
Great Pics Rembo
I might have another set of these.
Posted By: hanco Re: Sako AII Ring/Mount Options? - 02/08/22
I use Talley bases and rings, serial #8

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
These are what is on the rifle currently.

[Linked Image from customshopinc.com]

These are original Sako ringmounts, not Optilocks. The Leupold ringmounts work great as well. Mediums are perfect for a 40mm objective.
No worries about them moving. I have them on a 338 and a 300 mag now.

Separate bases and rings make it hard to keep the scope close the to the barrel and introduce another failure point.
Posted By: johnw Re: Sako AII Ring/Mount Options? - 02/09/22
Thanks, Bill N,

I'm in unknown territory and don't know exactly what I'm talking about half the time. Pictures pay off.

Is the windage adjustable feature of the Sako ringmount a big deal? Will I miss it if I don't have it?
This rifle came with an old Redfield 4X scope mounted, and it was advertised as having scope ring screws that were not pristine. When I took the Redfield off I found out why they were somewhat buggered up.
The screw slots are so shallow that with 3 different precision driver sets I couldn't find a tip that would not slip. They were seemingly designed to be buggered.

I could live with these mounts if I didn't know that I'll change scopes occasionally. My model 70 classic featherweight 25-06 has Leupold mounts that I bought new with the rifle in 2005. I've had at least a half dozen scopes on that rifle, and some of them more than once. Can't tell a single screw from new on the rings.
Guessing that if these ringmounts were built today they'd have torx screws too...
Thanks, Bill N,

I'm in unknown territory and don't know exactly what I'm talking about half the time. Pictures pay off.

Is the windage adjustable feature of the Sako ringmount a big deal? Will I miss it if I don't have it?

I've never had to use the windage adjustment on the old style ringmounts. Or had any problems zeroing a scope in the Leupold ringmounts.

The slotted screws in the old ringmounts are a little shallow and easy to bugger up. There was a guy on the old Sako collector site that had some made out of harder steel with deeper slots but I don't have his contact info or know if he still has any. The old mounts are still worth $50-$75 if the bluing isn't worn.
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Thanks, Bill N,

I've never had to use the windage adjustment on the old style ringmounts. Or had any problems zeroing a scope in the Leupold ringmounts.

The slotted screws in the old ringmounts are a little shallow and easy to bugger up. There was a guy on the old Sako collector site that had some made out of harder steel with deeper slots but I don't have his contact info or know if he still has any. The old mounts are still worth $50-$75 if the bluing isn't worn.

I sold the last pair I had 4 months ago for 150 and the guy said he got a deal on it, they are running almost if not 200 on Fleabay.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Thanks, Bill N,

I sold the last pair I had 4 months ago for 150 and the guy said he got a deal on it, they are running almost if not 200 on Fleabay.

Damn! I have a NIB set of mediums I may have to sell for that kind of money. I hate paying fees to fleabay though
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Thanks, Bill N,

Damn! I have a NIB set of mediums I may have to sell for that kind of money. I hate paying fees to fleabay though

Yeah,I closed my account last year. I'll just keep stuff and or sell it on here or privately in the future.
© 24hourcampfire