Home
Posted By: Jeff_O New Remington M700 quality? - 02/21/22
Considering a new rifle for my kid. Model 700’s are my jam, but I haven’t bought a factory M700 with the intent to keep it “factory“ in I don’t know how long. Bought them as donors, took them apart.... Anyway, I’m afraid to even ask given all their legal troubles and changing ownership, but are new Remington M700’s still a well-made rifle with a decent chance of getting a good shooter? Or have they gone to [bleep].
Posted By: DCR48 Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/21/22
I wouldn't be afraid to try one.
Posted By: dale06 Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/21/22
Saw several in Scheels couple days ago. They were the SPS type, matte blued, Tupperware stock. Bolt was jeweled vs sps being matte black. Overall, I thought it was decent for the price, IIRC was between $550 and 600.
They can't be any worse than the crap Remington produced in the later years before going under
The new ones look plenty good to me
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by moosemike

I’d be buying a Mountain Rifle if I do it, and it does “look” nice. I guess I’m just trying to get a sense of where Remington quality is at currently.

I mean, forgetting the barrel quality/accuracy for a moment, are the actions themselves working ok for folks lately?
Originally Posted by moosemike

I just handled a new SPS ADL at Sportsmans Whorehouse. The finish is miles ahead of the old SPS. It’s not nearly as course. The old SPS finish looked like spray-on bedliner. The bolt is also jeweled. $519 it was. I nearly bought it.
How was the stock?
Same as the old SPS stock. For $519, I could see ordering a Grayboe and shooting it until I was ready to rebarrel into something cool.
Cant be worse than the RR prefix guns that were coming out of Ilion prior to their bankruptcy. Those were some of the worst firearms ive ever seen. The last one I got was so out of wack it had no primary extraction and had to have the bolt handle removed and reinstalled...and still was about 3 MOA lol.

I hope the new ones are great..im also a fan of the 700 design
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/22/22
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Cant be worse than the RR prefix guns that were coming out of Ilion prior to their bankruptcy. Those were some of the worst firearms ive ever seen. The last one I got was so out of wack it had no primary extraction and had to have the bolt handle removed and reinstalled...and still was about 3 MOA lol.

Ok, this is the kind of intel I’m after here. I literally tuned out of all things M700 for the last several+ years as I’ve just been either re-barreling rifles i already had, or buying donor rifles, or bare actions from Bud’s.

So they got bad in the RR prefix era, gotcha.

If I buy this thing (it’s a 6.5 Creed MR, seems perfect for my daughter) the hope would of course be it’s be a “good enuff” rifle out of the box... the next thing would be if it isn’t, then at least it’s still a good action for a rebarrel without having to go to extreme measures.... having to remove the bolt handle would qualify, haha...
Why not buy a used one?
Yes...the RR prefix guns are pretty universally known as the worst 700s ever made. To the point that the some precision gunsmiths won't use them.

Now you will hear in about three seconds from a bunch of folks on this sight who love their "moa all day long if i do my part" RR 700...but do some digging. They are the worst. That being said the most accurate out of the box 700 i ever had was a .308 SPS that was a RR gun so there are always exceptions.
used DuPont era would be the best...like an older wood stock ADL beater or something. Thats exactly what id do.
Buy one in the chambering you want and see if it shoots. You may be surprised

If it won’t with your load development, you can rebarrel easily

Last one I bought one holed with hand loads
Posted By: T_O_M Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/23/22
I have a late build 700 VS in .223 that is shooting bugholes with the loads I worked up for my AR. Stupid me .. shooting the donor, now I'm not sure I have a donor.

I have one of the new 700 SS Mountain Rifles in 6.5 CM that I bought before Christmas ready to go to the range but I've been too lazy to load up ammo. Hoping to get out there Friday if it warms up a little. The only negative I'd say about it right now is that stock is mighty chunky for such a slim barrel. I'd like it a lot better paired with a magnum sporter contour barrel. If I like it, if it's a keeper, I'll find a slimmer stock for it.

Anyway .. I think the late build 700s may be an improvement over some of the ones built even 2-3 years ago. They put out some real lemons for a while.
I bought two RR Remingtons, An AWR (American Wilderness Rifle) and a LTR, The fit, finish and function were as good or better than any 700’s I every had.

Keep in mind these were not $500 SPS’s. The AWR came with a Grayboe stock and was cerekoted. The LTR was an undated version of the old LTR.

Just fyi
Originally Posted by overmax
I bought two RR Remingtons, An AWR (American Wilderness Rifle) and a LTR, The fit, finish and function were as good or better than any 700’s I every had.

Keep in mind these were not $500 SPS’s. The AWR came with a Grayboe stock and was cerekoted. The LTR was an undated version of the old LTR.

Just fyi

I have two AWRs that are very accurate. I did trip the Grayboe stocks for.....lighter Grayboe stocks.
I would not waste my money on an unknown entity, when there are proven performers, such as Winchester, Tikka, Thompson Center, Sako, etc. available and proven. Remington will have to impress me with its reviews for a while before I would even consider buying one. Your money, your test. Maybe if it sucks, it will at least help someone else avoid it.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I would not waste my money on an unknown entity, when there are proven performers, such as Winchester, Tikka, Thompson Center, Sako, etc. available and proven. Remington will have to impress me with its reviews for a while before I would even consider buying one. Your money, your test. Maybe if it sucks, it will at least help someone else avoid it.

I've never been "stuck" in a gun before. I buy plenty of unknown commodities when it comes to guns. If I don't like them for some reason they get sold. But I'm never scared I'll buy something I can't get out of
This is probably the twentieth thread so far on the "new" Remingtons. I bought one of the first 700's to hit the shelves, and it passed my inspection just fine. So far, I have not read where anyone that bought one said it wasn't any good. They are using what were most likely some parts, stocks in particular, that were left over when Remington shut their doors. I believe the new ones will be a better rifle than the old ones..............and I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the old 700's. The Xmark-Pro trigger sucked, but the rifles shot just fine. As a matter of fact, some the best groups I've shot with 700's came from the RR rifles. I'm not saying the finish and fit were outstanding, because in most cases they weren't, but the rifles were good shooters for the most part.

Most of the anti-Remington crap that you read online come from people who've either never owned one, or just want to bitch about something. It's simple........you don't like them, don't buy one, but respect someone else who does buy one, because after all, it is their money and not yours.
Yep. I just bought another one and this one is very nice again. More nicely finished than the old ones and the trigger didn't need adjusted either.
Alright, I’m gonna buy one.
Posted By: ribka Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/24/22
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Ok, this is the kind of intel I’m after here. I literally tuned out of all things M700 for the last several+ years as I’ve just been either re-barreling rifles i already had, or buying donor rifles, or bare actions from Bud’s.

If I buy this thing (it’s a 6.5 Creed MR, seems perfect for my daughter) the hope would of course be it’s be a “good enuff” rifle out of the box... the next thing would be if it isn’t, then at least it’s still a good action for a rebarrel without having to go to extreme measures.... having to remove the bolt handle would qualify, haha...

Jeff you've spent the past 4 years on here peddling your Trump Russian collusion lies. you've proven over and over again you're a low iq anti gun, anti hunting pathological liar and a drug addict
Originally Posted by JamesJr
This is probably the twentieth thread so far on the "new" Remingtons. I bought one of the first 700's to hit the shelves, and it passed my inspection just fine. So far, I have not read where anyone that bought one said it wasn't any good. They are using what were most likely some parts, stocks in particular, that were left over when Remington shut their doors. I believe the new ones will be a better rifle than the old ones..............and I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the old 700's. The Xmark-Pro trigger sucked, but the rifles shot just fine. As a matter of fact, some the best groups I've shot with 700's came from the RR rifles. I'm not saying the finish and fit were outstanding, because in most cases they weren't, but the rifles were good shooters for the most part.

Most of the anti-Remington crap that you read online come from people who've either never owned one, or just want to bitch about something. It's simple........you don't like them, don't buy one, but respect someone else who does buy one, because after all, it is their money and not yours.

Yeah, people I know who Blueprint actions have told me the factory guns they’ve encountered needed no work.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/24/22
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a late build 700 VS in .223 that is shooting bugholes with the loads I worked up for my AR. Stupid me .. shooting the donor, now I'm not sure I have a donor.

I have one of the new 700 SS Mountain Rifles in 6.5 CM that I bought before Christmas ready to go to the range but I've been too lazy to load up ammo. Hoping to get out there Friday if it warms up a little. The only negative I'd say about it right now is that stock is mighty chunky for such a slim barrel. I'd like it a lot better paired with a magnum sporter contour barrel. If I like it, if it's a keeper, I'll find a slimmer stock for it.

Anyway .. I think the late build 700s may be an improvement over some of the ones built even 2-3 years ago. They put out some real lemons for a while.

Hey Tom! smile

That’s exactly the rifle I’m thinking of buying for A. It’s either that, or set her up with my 7-08 MR which would be fine too. She’s been shooting a lot with me, and is really into the idea of getting her own venison this year, and will be working in Idaho, Montana, etc all summer/fall deep in the backwoods.

My 7-08 has been made about as light as it can be, so I’d probably want to un-do some of that if it’s going to be her rifle. She’s not a fan of recoil.

The 6.5 CM seems perfect... plus it’s a fun shiny thing, haha... I’m just a bit skeeved about all the chaos at Big Green. Hopefully it stayed upstairs and didn’t make it down into the machine shop, so to speak.
Posted By: AML Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/27/22
The new BDL I handled a few weeks ago at my LGS was very nice and I thought a much better build than 2000-era 700's. It was closer to 80's and 90's quality. I went back to get it a few days later and it was gone.
Posted By: Dre Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 02/27/22
This is just me.
But if you have to ask about their quality + 20 other threads.
Maybe just move on to something like Bergara or tikka.
i'd like to handle one of their new bdl's but there are none to be found in my area.

I've looked at probably 20 of the ADL's at the big box stores.

The bbl is centered in the channel, the bolt operates as smooth as any new M700 I've tried, the matte finish is much smoother than the old gravel blasted finish and is consistent throughout.

The only one I know of is that's been shot, in 308, and the owner is quite pleased with the groups he's getting with 150g NBT"s.
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Um, The new RemArms is not cataloging a Mtn Rifle currently. What's your barrel code say?
There are a lot of M700 Mtn Rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor that are NOS sitting at dealers and distributors from pre bankruptcy. You most likely have a 2020 Remington Arms Mtn Rifle in 6.5.
It appears Remington made a ton of them shortly before closing the doors.

The RR M700's are as accurate as any of the previous era M700s, and often more accurate than the post late 90's to the beginning of the Alabama/RR era.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

No. The RR prefix is among the most accurate of any era of M700's built--sporter contour or HB.
The Last RR prefix I owned was a 7mag , fluted stainless barrel and cdl stock. The chamber was crooked, which I was told was sort of common with later Remingtons.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 03/01/22
Who owns RemArms now, who's making the rifles?
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Who owns RemArms now, who's making the rifles?

Roundhill Group are the owners. Still made in New Yawk.
Posted By: pullit Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 03/02/22
I don't know about the RR rifles as I was just using the action to build on. The RR. is way truer than many of the older Remington actions I have seen. The primary extraction is still hit or miss.
I have worked on maybe 6 or 8 RR receivers and the threads to bore are more square and the face of the action is really square as well.
Originally Posted by pullit
I don't know about the RR rifles as I was just using the action to build on. The RR. is way truer than many of the older Remington actions I have seen. The primary extraction is still hit or miss.
I have worked on maybe 6 or 8 RR receivers and the threads to bore are more square and the face of the action is really square as well.

The A prefix, S62xxxxx and S63xxxxx, and RR all have the reputation of being “ squared up”. Undoubtedly there are individual exceptions…….
Yes...the RR prefix guns are pretty universally known as the worst 700s ever made. To the point that the some precision gunsmiths won't use them.

Now you will hear in about three seconds from a bunch of folks on this sight who love their "moa all day long if i do my part" RR 700...but do some digging. They are the worst. That being said the most accurate out of the box 700 i ever had was a .308 SPS that was a RR gun so there are always exceptions.

I’m one of those. I’ve never been a big 700 fan, but the most accurate rifle I own is an RR prefix SPS 7mm-08. Admittedly, it does wear a McMillan Edge bedded stock and has a TriggerTech trigger, but the action and barrel are original. I must have gotten one of the few good ones.
Find one at a good price sure. Beyond that. I'd look at a bergara. Just my $.02.
I have never gotten a "bad" one. I think some people look for stuff to bitch about.
I bought an ADL in 6.5 CM. Compared to my ADL in 223, the finish isn’t as rough. The bolt is jeweled. Stock and crappy plastic trigger guard is the same. Took the opportunity to get a couple PT&G trigger guards. I also bought a B&C ADL stock for the 6.5. Looks pretty sweet.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Is that a new one RC?
If you don't see a new Mod 700 that does it for you, just get a Bergara B14 Hunter and you will love it!
Posted By: gunzo Re: New Remington M700 quality? - 03/19/22
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Freakin Rock Star load & factory rifle. All the amenities. What's the barrel length on this combo?
© 24hourcampfire