Home
Posted By: hanco Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
Would you buy a Ruger, a 700 classic, Winchester featherweight, or custom? There maybe others Im not aware of.

Is a tang safety Ruger more desirable?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
There is a Ruger 77 in .257 Bob in the classifieds as of this morning, a classic second choice would be a Win
M-70 featherweight made in the 80's. My brother had a 1975 M-77 and a M-70 Featherweight both in .257 Bob, I reloaded for both rifles......the Ruger would put 5 shots under and inch using the Speer 120 gr. I don't recall the load for the M-70.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22

Kimber Montana
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I've had the Roberts in a Ruger 1B, Ruger 77 tang, Remington 700 ADL, and 3 different Winchester 70 Featherweights.....all shot good and the last Featherweight that I had was exceptional and I kept it for over 20 years and my nephew "BORROWED " it and has had it for the past 5 years and let his son use it this year to kill his first deer with so I gifted the gun to his son , for deer the Roberts is a great round.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
There is a Ruger 77 in .257 Bob in the classifieds as of this morning, a classic second choice would be a Win
M-70 featherweight made in the 80's. My brother had a 1975 M-77 and a M-70 Featherweight both in .257 Bob, I reloaded for both rifles......the Ruger would put 5 shots under and inch using the Speer 120 gr. I don't recall the load for the M-70.

The guy has 50 something posts. I’d be a bit leery of that.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
Winchester Featherweight would be my choice in the .257 Roberts.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Winchester Featherweight would be my choice in the .257 Roberts.

I like those too!
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Kimber Montana

I didn’t know they made a Roberts.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I’ve had the Ruger number 1b, 1a, Winchester featherweight, Kimber Montana, Kimber 84 m and a re-barreled Mauser.

The 1b was too heavy to enjoy toting around in the woods but it was nice to have. The two I wish I could have back is the Winchester featherweight, and the 84M, that 84M had some beautiful wood.

If I was gonna start from right here, I would look for a Winchester featherweight!

Don’t get me wrong I love the Ruger Tang safeties, but That Winchester was a sweet sweet gun
Posted By: Teal Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I would look for a Kimber first. Then likely build something after on a Win 70 action.
Posted By: 257James Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I have all mentioned plus several others, and would go Rem 700 Classic or Mountain if I had keep one. Deciding between the two would be tough.
Posted By: warlock Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I have a Ruger Hawkeye chambered in 257 Roberts. It's a great rifle in a caliber I have always wanted.

Maybe consider a Hawkeye in your search.

I hope you find the perfect Bob for yourself. Good hunting.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I've had all 3 of tho production rifles that you've cited, plus a few customs, parts guns, and other produiction rifles made by Browning, FN, Kimber, Remington, Ruger, Savage, and Winchester. If limited to those 3, l'd probably pick the Winchester 70 Featherweight. The only recent production rifle in 257 Roberts that moved me is the Lipsey's non-cataloged run of stainless Ruger 77 RSIs. A production rifle that you didn't cite and I like is the 700 Mountain Rifle, but it has a short action and many 257 Roberts shooters prefer a long action.
Posted By: viking Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I love all things Winchester.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

DD, you're just full of surprises!
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Would you buy a Ruger, a 700 classic, Winchester featherweight, or custom? There maybe others Im not aware of.

Thanks in advance!

One debate that always pops up on 257R threads is long action vs short. The short will work fine according to those that use them. I wanted to be able to seat out to 3" so went with a long action. Both routes are right but something you need to think about.

I had a a faux TI LA built almost 20yrs ago. It's perfect if you're not looking for the classic blued and walnut deal.

Posted By: Teal Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22

That is the sex - Some Russian probably
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/01/22
I had a sporter someone put together using an FN barreled action and one of those heavy Monte Carlo stocks that Bishop and Fajen used to turn out long ago. Traded it off on a Browning Low Wall .22 Hornet that I still have about 2000. Good rifle, but the Hornet is a lifetime possession.

Never saw much difference on deer shot with the .257, .243, .270. .308, or .30/06, except the bigger ones blow up more meat.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Ruger UL 257 Roberts. Love mine.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Very nice gun! What scope you have on that?
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Originally Posted by lubbockdave

Japanese Weaver Nitrex 3-10x50. Wish I had bought more when Natchez was closing them out.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
I am partial to the Ruger 77 .257 Roberts and currently own twins except one has a black pad. Previously, I owned a Remington 722 short action and did not feel under gunned compared to the crowd shooting Roberts in long actions.
I have a Browning A bolt Medallion in.257 Bob. Shoots great with Nosler 100 gr. BT. only downside is it has a DBM and that really limits COAL to basic factory load lengths. It's a handicap for handloading. Just something to consider

I'm currently building a 257 Bob on a Yugo 48 action. No problems with COAL with that one. grin
It's a great cartridge easy to load for, easy to shoot, and kills critters dead.

Good luck in your search.

My next Featherweight will be in 257.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
My Kimber Classic Select will be the last rifle I get rid of.

Only had a doe tag to use it on this year.

Second choice would be that Model 70 lightweight Super Grade (or similar name) they had as a special run a few years ago.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22

This is one of the few guns ole PJ B never screwed up bad enough to return to the maker. 3.1" box only way to go. Fug the Robert's in a short action find a ruger 77 ul.. mb
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Love Cheesy’s!

In the Rob I’ve had two Ruger RL’s (tried to like them, couldn't), two Kimber MT’s and a Kimber of Oregon M98.

My current, and favorite hands down:

The Ruger 77 RL in 257Bob is the nuts and will keep it forever.
I also have one in a wood stocked Hawkeye that is ok,
but may go down the road as the RL does everything I need from it.
Had 257 Win Featherweight before, but did not get what I wanted in performance from it so it
went down the road.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Remington 700 Classic first choice.
Remington 722 second choice.
Ruger #1 third choice

I find that it’s rare to find a 77 that’s accurate.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Many years ago, Remington made the 275R in their 1st generation Mountain Rifle line. While it was a short action, it was a sweet little rifle. I looked high & low for one when I just had to have a 257R and did finally locate one that was owned by an elderly gent who was not inclined in any way to sell it. I tried off and one for a couple yrs and finally gave up and had one built. That would have been a nice rifle to get, but was not meant to be. It probably got sold off by a family member cheap who had not idea what it was. frown

IIRC, the Classics are long actions and are fairly heavy. There was a few stainless Classics kicking around for a while as well. I owned one, but sold it given it was heavier than what I wanted.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
great great old classic cartridge ! i just got my grandson a 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 too ! enjoy your new 257 Roberts , Pete53
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Had 257 Win Featherweight before, but did not get what I wanted in performance from it so it
went down the road.

My m70 fwt was a push feed and would shoot 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory 100 gr + p silvertips. When you loaded imr -4350 and 100 grain Hornady sp's out to off the lands it would shoot less than an inch but those rounds were to long to fit the magazine box which was 2.82". Gun needed a 3.1 " mag box. Stupid bastards at WW. IMHO a guy shouldn't have to rebuild a new rifle to have it right, it should come that way...mb
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
went down the road.

My m70 fwt was a push feed and would shoot 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" 5 shot groups with factory 100 gr + p silvertips. When you loaded imr -4350 and 100 grain Hornady sp's out to off the lands it would shoot less than an inch but those rounds were to long to fit the magazine box which was 2.82". Gun needed a 3.1 " mag box. Stupid bastards at WW. IMHO a guy shouldn't have to rebuild a new rifle to have it right, it should come that way...mb

Bob, you won't get an argument from me. I got the Featherweight .(FWT) in 257 Robt. to go along with my 7x57 FWT. Winchester screwed the pooch on both rifle with that magazine block.
Funny thing. My son in law bought an M70 FWT .257 Robt. and I did the load work up for him. He was insistent on using the 100 gr. TSX bullet with H4350. Apparently he was given the info from a coworker as at this point he was not a handloader. It was one of the easiest loads to work up that I've run into in a long time. I tried what worked for him in my rifle and , calling it a disaster would be the kindest thing I would say. It absolutely hated the TSX bullet. I tried a few 120 gr; Speer Hot Core I had on hand for my 25-06 and they were no better. Since then I've set that rifle aside for other projects. FWIW, the M70 FWT 7x57 is a tack driver. with everything I've run through it. Go figure.
Paul B.
Those circa 1984 +P ww loads featured their old design 100 gr silver tips which were plenty low bc (blunt) so it wasn't a problem seating them to the cannelure and them fitting in the mag box but any newer design like 100 gr hornady sp couldn't even be seated to the cannelure. Way I figured it I'd need a long action bolt stop, a follower for a 7x57 and the mag modified to 3.1" to get it to perform as a magazine rifle as well as it did as a single shot. Ruger did it right on the 77ultralight....mb
Posted By: WAM Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ruger #1 third choice

I found one…

My late hunting buddy bought the Ruger 77 1976 200th year of American Liberty model from a guy who thought he was a great hand loader. He claimed the rifle wouldn’t shoot for beans and sold it to Jim cheaply. He worked up some 100 gr Hornady SP and Nosler Solid Base loads and it shot cloverleaf groups. Jim took the target and showed the guy who got agitated and demanded that he sell the rifle back to him. Jim allegedly told him to KMA and went on to kill lots of black tails with it. Jim said the dude was using the wrong powder. I bought it from Jim along with a couple other guns when he needed to raise some serious cash. I didn’t necessarily want the R77 but the crown of the deal was a M28 Highway Patrolman. My other .257’s went down the road as did the other guns other than the M28 which I still have.

The M77 shoots cloverleaf groups with 100 gr TTSX over Ramshot Hunter, Mule Deer’s Gun Gack load…
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
I think I saw a 700 Classic on Gunbroker last night.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Originally Posted by WAM
Ruger #1 third choice

I found one…

My late hunting buddy bought the Ruger 77 1976 200th year of American Liberty model from a guy who thought he was a great hand loader. He claimed the rifle wouldn’t shoot for beans and sold it to Jim cheaply. He worked up some 100 gr Hornady SP and Nosler Solid Base loads and it shot cloverleaf groups. Jim took the target and showed the guy who got agitated and demanded that he sell the rifle back to him. Jim allegedly told him to KMA and went on to kill lots of black tails with it. Jim said the dude was using the wrong powder. I bought it from Jim along with a couple other guns when he needed to raise some serious cash. I didn’t necessarily want the R77 but the crown of the deal was a M28 Highway Patrolman. My other .257’s went down the road as did the other guns other than the M28 which I still have.

The M77 shoots cloverleaf groups with 100 gr TTSX over Ramshot Hunter, Mule Deer’s Gun Gack load…

I’ve owned exactly one 77 that was accurate that was in the year 1977. I’ve bought and sold many many others I’ve been deeply disappointed in the accuracy in general.
I bought a 77 on the 24 - the seller was selling for another fellow. The owner said it was accurate. If 2 1/2MOA is accurate I suppose it was. I now own one 77 and it’s a 7mm RM. so far I’ve shot one group that was under 1 MOA. My 700 mm RM on the other hand has been much more accurate in every load tested. I’ve shot several groups < 1/2 MOA with the 700.

So on average 77 accuracy has been about the worst of any manufacturer’s rifles I’ve tested. Besides that their comb is to low for use with a scope.
Posted By: WAM Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
I guess I found the hen’s tooth….
Posted By: LBP Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
NULA model 20 has a 3” magazine, in my mind it would make the perfect Bob.
Posted By: SKane Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
hanco!
You should buy one of each!
Posted By: JeffP Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22

Years ago I had a chance to buy one...... woulda coulda shoulda

Thanks in advance!

Hanco, I say buy a long-action so you can then ream to .25 Neider to go with your Henrickson. You'll even pick up a few FPS in the process!
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
Rugers .. well, I had 2 RLs, a tanger and a Mk II, both in .257. The tanger was a SOB to get to shoot but eventually I did .. I just got the MFer so hot I could smell wood cooking in the barrel channel and it melted the rubber on the gun rack in my truck. After that it dropped from a 2-1/2 MOA rifle to a 3/4ths MOA rifle. The Mk II was a POS. It was minute of grapefruit to begin with, after a trip back to Ruger it was minute of orange.

My last was a Kimber Montana .. a trouble gun. frown It predated the "MOA accuracy standard" by a couple years .. and it showed. Chamber was FUBAR ... headspaced on the body taper, not on the shoulder. Case head separations were frequent. Rechambered the barrel and set it back 3 turns which fixed that but the throat was too long so it lost the accuracy it once had. I got rid of all of my .257 stuff after that. frown

I would get a new Kimber Classic Select as my first choice if buying.

Building ... I might again. I still have a take off Lilja barrel from a custom 700 short action. Headspace for a new stainless 700 action and add a wyatt's box 'cause it is chambered long .. yeah. That barrel, on a different action, shot in the 0.2s with 100 grain ballistic tips. I could live with that.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/02/22
You can't go wrong with a 257 Roberts.

I have 4......, well, really 3, chambered for the cartridge. The three are a tang safety Ruger 77, a Win FW, and a Kimber Montana. The fourth is a 257 AI built on a Czech Model 24 98 Mauser action.

All are great hunting rifles.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Rugers .. well, I had 2 RLs, a tanger and a Mk II, both in .257. The tanger was a SOB to get to shoot but eventually I did .. I just got the MFer so hot I could smell wood cooking in the barrel channel and it melted the rubber on the gun rack in my truck. After that it dropped from a 2-1/2 MOA rifle to a 3/4ths MOA rifle. The Mk II was a POS. It was minute of grapefruit to begin with, after a trip back to Ruger it was minute of orange.

That is hilarious. I had a fussy Ruger M77 6MM with a heavy barrel. I burned through 40 rounds about as fast as I could. It went from being a 2 inch gun to being able to crowd 1/2.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
I’ve got a Ruger 77 RL MkII that has been very fussy to squeeze great accuracy from but I love to carry it & my M70 XTR FWT is a jewel to shoot & load for but more of a full size rifle as you already I’m sure know. I ended up using MD’s bread clip trick on the 70 and it raised the bbl just enough to clear a contact point in the barrel channel - shoots consistently into 1” with random hand loads but I’m sure could do better if I buckled down on the project. The Ruger - still a crapshoot.

Wish I could add info with a load recommendation or two but I can’t - haven’t really worked them as hard as I’d like on the range. I mean - they shoot good but nothing earth shattering with most loads.
The 257 Roberts is one of my favorite rounds. I have a BACO S. Carolina Featherweight, a Ruger 77RL and a Montana.

The Featherweight (2012 shot Show Special) is a beautiful and well made rifle. It shoots just about an inch, which is fine by me. It's also a bit heavy, which begs the question, Who came up with that name!?

The Ruger is a tanger. Also a beautiful rifle, being walnut and steel. Slim and trim at 6lbs 14oz all up, its a pleasure to carry. It took awhile to find a load that it liked. It seems to keep 80gr TTSXs just under 1".

But my favorite is the Montana. Weight in the field is 6lbs .7oz. It shoots everything between 80-100 grains under one inch, and reliably.
Rugers shoot terribly. As a public service, I'm helping people dispose of them and buying clean Model 77s. I will pay top dollar ($250) for a nice one.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Of those listed I’d go with the Winchester. I have one in a Ruger Hawkeye (limited run) that I love. Talk about a fu gun to shoot! Everyone likes shooting it. I think my son is trying to steal it from me. shocked
Posted By: roundoak Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Rugers shoot terribly. As a public service, I'm helping people dispose of them and buying clean Model 77s. I will pay top dollar ($250) for a nice one.
Oh, so now I have competition.
Ruger #1 third choice

Mule Deer:
" I've owned a pile of 77's of all eras. While one barrel truly sucked (a 7x57 with a bore that had numerous loose spots, with the tight spots measuring .287), all the others shot anywhere from acceptably to very well. My acceptable rating is three shots in an inch for big game rifles, and five shots in an inch for varmint rifles, and very well is half that. Most of them required some work on the bedding and trigger, but then a lot of factory rifles do."
"My experience has been that bad barrels on tang-safety Rugers were extremely rare, and were scattered randomly throughout the years."

Boxer - Big Stick:
"I've Ruger familiarity and accept them for what they are. Light or bullet proof they are not, though curiously enough they are oft maligned by the masses for "accuracy" woe which I've yet to see, though of course I shoot a bit, which tend to tip numerous scales."
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Ok. That said, I have had that experience as well, with a couple 77s and a number one. I stopped buying them too.

Thanks in advance!
If you chose a Winchester make sure you wear eye protection when pulling the trigger.
One of the Shot Show Special M70 FWTs from a few years ago would be my first choice. Then, would be a Ruger MkII RL. I’m basing this on how much I like my SS Special 7x57 and a Ruger I foolishly sold.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Over the past 40 years I've owned at least 3 dozen Ruger 77s, still have several of them, inclluding 2 in 257, and have only had one that wouldn't shoot good groups. It was a 77 RSI in 243 that I never could get to shoot, so I had it rebore to morph into a 260 and it now shoots fine. Irronically, the poor shooting 77 RSI in 243 is only 6 serial numbers apart from another 77 RSI in 243 that is an okay shooter.

Actually, my biggest gripe about the 77s is that the 18.5" barrels on the RSI are too short, making them unbalanced to the rear, IOW butt-heavy. I think that they would have been better balanced and more pointable with a 20" barrel.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Actually, my biggest gripe about the 77s is that the 18.5" barrels on the RSI are too short, making them unbalanced to the rear, IOW butt-heavy. I think that they would have been better balanced and more pointable with a 20" barrel.

I've read that comment about those Rugers several times over the years and agree wholeheartedly. It's hard to understand why Ruger wouldn't see that shortcoming and make a change to that rifle. Add in a few cool chamberings like 257R, 358W and 7x57 along with a couple std offerings and they'd have a winner.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I've read that comment about those Rugers several times over the years and agree wholeheartedly. It's hard to understand why Ruger wouldn't see that shortcoming and make a change to that rifle. Add in a few cool chamberings like 257R, 358W and 7x57 along with a couple std offerings and they'd have a winner.

I have RSIs chambered for all 3 of those cartridges, plus a long action in 6mm REM,
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22

Add in a few cool chamberings like 257R, 358W and 7x57 along with a couple std offerings and they'd have a winner.

I have RSIs chambered for all 3 of those cartridges, plus a long action in 6mm REM,

I'm not aware Ruger ever offered the 358 Win or 6mm Rem in the 77 RSI... are yours custom?
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22

yes, I was wondering too....358 win RSI? factory? How cool that would be!!

The factory barrel is a pencil and in no way would have enough meat for the 358 (at least for me). However, the NH employees would sometimes make something one-off for themselves (un-cataloged).

I did have a special run 358 M77 RS carbine from the 80's, but I'm not sure it would have fit into the RSI stock, even with the barrel channel opened up.

I had three different M77 RSI's and agree with the others. I always felt 18.5" was too short, and think it would have been perfect at 20."
For the OP, here's a Kimber 84M in 257 Rob... you could look for a very long time to find better wood:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/924162219
Originally Posted by Brad

Add in a few cool chamberings like 257R, 358W and 7x57 along with a couple std offerings and they'd have a winner.

I'm not aware Ruger ever offered the 358 Win or 6mm Rem in the 77 RSI... are yours custom?

The 6mm RSI is an employee gun that a Pinetree Castings worker ordered for himself. Forty years ago Ruger employees could buy 3 or 4 firearms per year for their personal use and the guys at Pinetree Casting would build non-catalog spec 77 for themselves. I also have a 77V in 257 Roberts that is an employee gun.

The 358 RSI was shipped before the run was cancelled and recalled. When I called Ruger to see if I could get a factory letter for provenance purposes, they wanted me to return it to them. Rumor has it that WBR, Sr., also had a very small non-cataloged run of 77 RSI made in 358 for the members of his hunting club, the Blue Mountain Forest Association.

I have custom 77 RSIs in 25 Souper, 257 Roberts, 260, and 6.5x55. The 257 Roberts and 6.5x55 RSIs are just 77 R barreled actions with the barrels cut back to 18.5" and the barrel channels openned up a bit.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
The 358 RSI was shipped before the run was cancelled and recalled. When I called Ruger to see if I could get a factory letter for provenance purposes, they wanted me to return it to them. Rumor has it that WBR, Sr., also had a very small non-cataloged run of 77 RSI made in 358 for the members of his hunting club, the Blue Mountain Forest Association.

That's a cool rifle!
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22
For the OP, here's a Kimber 84M in 257 Rob... you could look for a very long time to find better wood:

That’s a beauty for sure! Any idea what species/variety of wood that is?
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/03/22

French Walnut
Posted By: Seafire Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22
a very handy caliber if you ask me....

but then so is my 260 Ruger 77s....
Posted By: Oakster Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22

Thanks in advance!

Can you get it in a Tikka? I know you can get it in a Kimber Hunter... which I really wanted to try
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22

We will have to see what that one goes for, leaning towards a 700 classic. 700’s have always shot well for me.
Posted By: Teal Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22
If I could "buy it now" at 1500- I'd buy it and I don't even want one...
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22
Originally Posted by Teal
If I could "buy it now" at 1500- I'd buy it and I don't even want one...

Me too, bet it goes for over 2000.
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/04/22

We will have to see what that one goes for, leaning towards a 700 classic. 700’s have always shot well for me.

Hanco, I looked for a long time for a Kimber 257 Rob with decent piece of lumber. I'd guess, prior to the current goofy market, I found one I'd consider buying every 9 or 10 months. The one in the ad is the best one I've seen in at least a year.

One thing I can say about Kimber Rob's from observing others and having owned them is I think the chromoly barreled rifles shoot more than a bit better than the stainless rifles.

I know this is a 257 Roberts thread, but if that rifle was a 260 Rem or 7-08, I'd be willing to bid stupid on it. Thankfully, it's not.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I know this is a 257 Roberts thread, but if that rifle was a 260 Rem or 7-08, I'd be willing to bid stupid on it. Thankfully, it's not.

It'll get stupid, guaranteed.
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

It'll get stupid, guaranteed.

Undoubtedly. But will it ever go back to the pricing of 2 years ago?

I don’t think so…
Posted By: Oakster Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/05/22
wow, I wonder what one of these in a .270 will run? I have an absolute stellar example of a Kimber 84L Classic. Its a safe queen because its too pretty to take out in the woods.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/05/22
Originally Posted by Oakster
wow, I wonder what one of these in a .270 will run? I have an absolute stellar example of a Kimber 84L Classic. Its a safe queen because its too pretty to take out in the woods.

I took my Al biesen’s hunting. I took them in a soft case, no scratches. Don’t want it if I can’t hunt it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/05/22
I have a 257 on a G33/40. I just got it, but a guy contacted me, he owned at one time and wants it back. I’ve had buyer’s remorse before. The good guy DesertMuleDeer let me buy it back. I’m gonna let the man have it.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22

It went for $2125. I thought it'd go for more than that.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22
There's a nice Husqvarna 1640 in 257 Rob (Douglas barrel job) on GB ending in 9 hours. No bids yet at $975.
But I bet everybody that went there looking for Kimbers and such already saw that.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22

That's a cool rifle!

The failed attempt at producing the M77 RSI in .358 Win became the now rare and collectible M77 RS/RLS carbines in .358 Win from the late 1980's.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by TRexF16
There's a nice Husqvarna 1640 in 257 Rob (Douglas barrel job) on GB ending in 9 hours. No bids yet at $975.
But I bet everybody that went there looking for Kimbers and such already saw that.

Yep, Kimber sold for 2150.00 I think. I have one 1640, nice rifle.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22
Originally Posted by Oakster

I have the exact rifle/caliber...love it! I paid $800 four years ago...try even finding them now, ha!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/07/22
Habco- my very first Mod 700 Classic was a new 1982 I traded a Colt Python for. It was ata gunshop when I was checking a well in Vidor, Klan Kountry! ha I played with awhile, then had it reamed to the Ackley Improved, loved it even more! I had a young family then, oil was $18 a barrel, you remember times were tough. Had to sell it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/08/22
Originally Posted by TRexF16

It didn’t sell and is back up.
Posted By: tas6691 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/08/22
I have a Cooper Excaliber, Kimber 84m, Winchester FW, Ruger 77 & #1 RSI in 257 Roberts. I have owned a Kimber Montana in 257 and a Rem 700 long action I had re barreled to 257 Rob. My favorite is the Cooper. Kimber next, then FW and Rugers. The long action was a waste of time and money IMO. I load for the Roberts and never saw the benefit of the long action...for me. Your situation might be different.

The Cooper was damned expensive, but I bought it 10 years ago and I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Its that good.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22

Seriously cool
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
Way back in the day I had a Ruger UL in 257 R. For some reason I sold it and back then it was probably to pay a bill of some kind. I've had two M70's both pre64's. One shot well one didn't both were heavy and both have found new homes. I got a 1909 Argentine Mauser action and had one built and couldn't be happier with it. If I were to buy a factory rifle today I'd look at a Cooper.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
I have this Ruger #1-A, in .257 Roberts, that I will be selling in the near future- just time again to reduce the herd.

It's favorite ammo is a handload of Barnes TTSX 80 gr., ahead of H100V powder, which shoots around 1 MOA. Mint condition. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jard, huge improvement!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have this Ruger #1-A, in .257 Roberts, that I will be selling in the near future- just time again to reduce the herd.

It's favorite ammo is a handload of Barnes TTSX 80 gr., ahead of H100V powder, which shoots around 1 MOA. Mint condition. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jard, huge improvement!

Now that’s a peach!
Posted By: Bugger Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
The most accurate of the ones you mentioned would be the 700.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
I’m leaning towards 700 classic. I like the stocks.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22

Remington Model 700 Classic Stainless
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22

I had one. It was a tank heavy. Sold it PDQ.
Posted By: borden811 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/09/22
I had a 77 tanger that would not shoot no matter what I tried. 2” was the best I could get it.

Moved on to a custom 77 tanger in a McMillan stock that shot great, but wanted blued steel and walnut, so sold the custom to a member on here who was beyond pleased with it.

Then I picked up a kimber classic select that also shot well, but my brother has it now.

That led me to my current Roberts, a 1981 featherweight xtr with the most ridiculous factory stock I’ve ever seen. It shoots 117gr sierras under an inch, and it’s here to stay.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/10/22
JMHO, but a Kimber 84M in .257 Roberts is a match made in heaven.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/10/22
Hanco, Could you use a LH bolt gun? If so, pm me.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/10/22

I had one. It was a tank heavy. Sold it PDQ.

I had that one cycle through my hands. Same opinion of it and same result (moved along).
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Hanco, Could you use a LH bolt gun? If so, pm me.

I be a righty, can’t do cshit left handed
Picked up a 700 Classic. I like 700’s a lot. We will see how it shoots when I get it in my hands.
Posted By: texaggie61 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
I have a tang safety Ruger 77RL Ultralight .257 Roberts made about 1985. It's in about 90-90% condition. It loves Barnes 100 TSXs.
Took a couple deer last fall...Need to clean out my safe.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by texaggie61
I have a tang safety Ruger 77RL Ultralight .257 Roberts made about 1985. It's in about 90-90% condition. It loves Barnes 100 TSXs.

Nice sale pitch! smile

Nice sale pitch! smile

First post I believe
Posted By: pat8386 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
Currently own a Remington Custom Shop MS Mannlicher in 257 Roberts with a 20’ barrel. Always found it interesting that the 257 Roberts seems to have been designed initially as a dual purpose cartridge with loads and bullets weights for varmint and mid-size game. Subsequently, I worked up a load for each purpose. A Sierra 87 grain Spitzer using RL15 and a 100 grain NBT with Hybrid 100V. Both shoot sub-moa 100 yd 3 shot groups with my particular firearm.
I have 100 grain TTSX, 100 Partitions, 100 Sierra GameKings, 110 Accubonds, 115 Ballistic tips to try. I’m hoping the 100 Barnes do well.
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
I’ve owned/ own three 257’s over the years. One was a Ruger 77 tanger
that would shoot sometimes and sometimes not. Traded that one off. I’m down to two now.
A 722 that has been the most accurate deer rifle I’ve ever had. And a really nice pre 64 in 257 that shows a lot of promise, but I somehow never find time to work on loads with. Just end up killing stuff with the 722.
Posted By: stikshooter Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
Hanco, 4 shot group at 200 with Barnes TTSX.

Attached picture AAF43E65-4D7F-4195-94DE-8C9F4DF436A2.jpeg
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Hanco, 4 shot group at 200 with Barnes TTSX.

That’s better than I can shoot!!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
I used the 100 grain TTSX last fall in Texas with superb results.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22

What city do you live in?
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
I had a Ruger Ultralight in 257 Roberts that had a slow barrel. (Is there such a thing?) I tried different powders and even went as far as 3 grains over book max once trying to get near factory velocities. Accuracy was poor also. Sold it and was left with lots of components and dies.

Along comes Rifle magazine No. 240, Oct. 2008, with a short article by Mr. Barsness, aka Mule Deer, titled "The Ultimate Bob". That article along with pics of a beautiful Kimber Classic Select caused me to drive an hour to the nearest Kimber dealer and spend money. Still love that little rifle. Of course I feared for that little beauty if it rained so it only made sense to order a Montana in 257 for bad weather days.

Those 257s turned me into a Kimber fan boy and led to 84ms, good and bad weather versions, in 260 Rem and 7-08 and an 84L in 25-06.

While I hold Mr. Barsness largely responsible for my extravagant expenditures, I do agree with his assessment.

The 84m is "The Ultimate Bob".
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/11/22
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
I had a Ruger Ultralight in 257 Roberts that had a slow barrel. (Is there such a thing?) I tried different powders and even went as far as 3 grains over book max once trying to get near factory velocities. Accuracy was poor also. Sold it and was left with lots of components and dies.

Along comes Rifle magazine No. 240, Oct. 2008, with a short article by Mr. Barsness, aka Mule Deer, titled "The Ultimate Bob". That article along with pics of a beautiful Kimber Classic Select caused me to drive an hour to the nearest Kimber dealer and spend money. Still love that little rifle. Of course I feared for that little beauty if it rained so it only made sense to order a Montana in 257 for bad weather days.

Those 257s turned me into a Kimber fan boy and led to 84ms, good and bad weather versions, in 260 Rem and 7-08 and an 84L in 25-06.

While I hold Mr. Barsness largely responsible for my extravagant expenditures, I do agree with his assessment.

The 84m is "The Ultimate Bob".

Nice to see you posting again....
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/12/22
Thanks Doc !

I snoop around once in a while, but much of the petty bickering on this site has caused me to lose interest.

That and I have become entangled in the web of 1911s. smile
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/12/22
Seven, this the one?

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/12/22
Brad, it was in Rifle No. 240, page 102. MD's Rifles and Woodsmoke column.

Don't know why this pic keeps going sideways?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/12/22
I have 2, one is a Hyper Single falling block with French walnut that I got from Tom Turpin. The Hyper Singles were built by a very crusty Sam Lair in Jenks, Oklahoma. Sam is a story within himself.
My other is a Remington 722 that was Mike Walker's personal deer rifle. I asked Mike about the beautiful wood. Mike said when you control the woodbox in the custom shop you get your pick.
Wish I could post pics.
Posted By: Brad Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/12/22
Thanks Seven!
Posted By: powdr Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Hanco, pm me your address and I'll send you a box of bullets. powdr
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by warmonger23
I don't own one but I'd like to someday. IMO it's a great deer cartridge with light recoil

I've had at least 1 Roberts in my possession since the early 80's ,one in particular a Winchester 70 Featherweight I used for more than 20 years and my nephew borrowed it to hunt in Texas, he hunted with it for many more years and moved to upstate New York and I let him take the gun with him, this past year my nephew let his son use the gun and his son killed his 1st buck and 2 does with it so I gifted the gun to him.....that gun has killed a bunch of deer and will continue to for many years to come.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

My other is a Remington 722 that was Mike Walker's personal deer rifle. I asked Mike about the beautiful wood. Mike said when you control the woodbox in the custom shop you get your pick.
Wish I could post pics.

PM me with your email address if you want them posted. I'd like to see them. smile

Paul
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
This is my fourth Roberts, it isn't going anywhere other than hunting .Built on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action I thought I had a picture of the whole rifle but I guess not frown [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Wow. That is beautiful!!!
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Thanks Hanco. It drives tacks with the 100gr TTSX or 110gr Accubonds
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/13/22
Wow. That is beautiful!!!

Indeed!
Posted By: gdc2 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/14/22
Beautiful rifle you have there GSPfan
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/14/22
Thank you
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/14/22
My grandfather was Robert
I’ve got an uncle Robert named for him
My wife is Roberta
My father in law is Robert
And my wife’s little brother is Robert

I should probably buy a .257 Roberts
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/14/22
I must agree, you won't be disappointed
Posted By: GreggH Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/14/22
Rick what’s been taking you so long? All the signs have been pointing…..

GreggH
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/15/22
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
My grandfather was Robert
I’ve got an uncle Robert named for him
My wife is Roberta
My father in law is Robert
And my wife’s little brother is Robert

I should probably buy a .257 Roberts

I would say so😎😎😎
Posted By: JD338 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
I've got a 700 Classic with a 24" barrel. It's a long acy so I'm loading the 115 gr BT to 2.900" with a stiff charge of RL22 for 3100 fps and .3's accuracy. It's basically a 25-06 and wicked on WT deer and coyotes.

JD338
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
I have a Ruger Hawkeye. Shoots Itty bitty groups with 80 and 100 gr ttsx's over 4064.
It's killed 4 antelope so far. I like it because it doesn't tear them up.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
I have two Hawkeyes in the Roberts, one matte and the other gloss. Both shoot three shots under an inch at 100m after being bedded, barrel floated and trigger worked on. One shoots the 100gn Scirocco and the other is finishing up some old 100gn Solid Bases. I'd like to find some more of them. I haven't hunted with either for a couple of seasons now as I have been trying some new cartridges (6.5x47, 6.5CM, 6.5x57, 7x64 and .257AI). It's funny how some of your favourites remain in the safe. But the Roberts is still one of my two or three top favourites.
Elvis
I have one in Hawkeye also and have some 100 gr SBs also that I have yet to try out.
Curious what load you end up with.
Tim
Posted By: Elvis Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
Elvis
I have one in Hawkeye also and have some 100 gr SBs also that I have yet to try out.
Curious what load you end up with.
Tim

Tim,

I'm loading 47gn H4350. Velocity is just under 3000 fps. This rifle had the throat lengthened by the previous owner which probably accounts for the low velocity, as I usually get around 3100fps with that much H4350 in a 22" barrel with similar 100gn bullets (Hornady, Ballistic Tip etc.). However, I only have 14 Solid Bases left so will shoot them as is, as it kills pigs well enough at that speed. The other Hawkeye gets a bit over 3100fps with only 46gn H4350 and the 100gn Scirocco, probably due to the Scirocco having a grabbier jacket.

Dan.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
I would love to find one in a 1952 Steyr Mannlicher Shoenauer in 257 Roberts in the stutzen carbine form. It would just be a neat little rifle. There is one on GI right now for 3K so they must be pretty proud of it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/17/22
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I would love to find one in a 1952 Steyr Mannlicher Shoenauer in 257 Roberts in the stutzen carbine form. It would just be a neat little rifle. There is one on GI right now for 3K so they must be pretty proud of it.

Didn't Jorge1 post about owning one of those in the not so distant past?
Posted By: win2 Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/18/22
My .257R is rather unique in that it is a sporting conversion German Mauser 98 by Johnson Automatics from the late ‘40s.
I have read this is from the same Johnson Automatics firm who competed to supply automatic rifles for WWII.
My rifle is a very petite and slight model, perhaps intended for use by a small man or lady.
It features a long slide Lyman aperture rear sight. What I found interesting and puzzling was that the muzzle is threaded.
After some research and digging, I found an old photo showing a muzzle brake on a similar Johnson Automatics conversion.
It seemed strange to me that a muzzle brake might be needed for such a low recoiling cartridge, but after a lengthy search, one stamped “Johnson Automatics” was acquired and it threaded right on. The rifle is a good and accurate shooter, even with the iron sights. There is now virtually no recoil. A perfect woods rifle and while the muzzle brake does extend the length some, it adds to the cool factor.
Posted By: hanco Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/18/22
Originally Posted by win2
My .257R is rather unique in that it is a sporting conversion German Mauser 98 by Johnson Automatics from the late ‘40s.
I have read this is from the same Johnson Automatics firm who competed to supply automatic rifles for WWII.
My rifle is a very petite and slight model, perhaps intended for use by a small man or lady.
It features a long slide Lyman aperture rear sight. What I found interesting and puzzling was that the muzzle is threaded.
After some research and digging, I found an old photo showing a muzzle brake on a similar Johnson Automatics conversion.
It seemed strange to me that a muzzle brake might be needed for such a low recoiling cartridge, but after a lengthy search, one stamped “Johnson Automatics” was acquired and it threaded right on. The rifle is a good and accurate shooter, even with the iron sights. There is now virtually no recoil. A perfect woods rifle and while the muzzle brake does extend the length some, it adds to the cool factor.

I’ve seen a couple of Johnson rifles for sale
Thanks Dan
I have not tried the H4350 in either Bob yet, so will give it a go.
I have always liked the old Solid Base Noslers. Getting hard to find.
I have about 2 1/2 boxed of 100 SBs, but more Partitions which do shoot well for me.
Tim
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Buying a 257 Roberts - 03/18/22
Back in the early 2000's when I was traveling alot for work I had a couple gun shops that I spent time in. One of them I got to know the owner well enough he and his brother would come up and I would take them bird hunting. I mentioned one day that I was looking for a hunting rifle for my son. About a month later I walked into his store and he said he had something for me. Went into the back room and brought out a guncase and opened it up on the counter. It was a pushfeed 70 in 257R. It had a cheep ramline stock on it that had been cut down and a brand new featherwieght stock sitting beside it. The owner said that a local had bought it for his young son and had the ramline cut down for him. Took the kid to the gun range and they ran a box of shells through it and the kid did not like shooting so he put it back in the safe until he traded to my friend. He made me a heck of a deal so I took it home and my son has used it ever sense to kill a ton of deer. To this day it still has the ramline stock on it and I keep asking him if he wants to put the factory stock on it and he says he likes how the ramline fits. That gun will digest any bullet you put in it. It is the sweetest gun to shoot. The only gun more fun for me to shoot is my Ruger tang in 6mm.
© 24hourcampfire