Home
What would everyone say are the best out of the box?

Browning X-Bolt by a landslide for me. It has and does everything I need and want in a hunting rifle.

A few good honorable mentions:
Winchester M70
Tikka T3x
Benelli Lupo
Can’t argue those
Weatherby Vanguard/Weatherguard in the new rifle pile.

CLR, if you can find one for around $500, in the used rifle pile.
I wouldn't buy anything on your list , no offense intended. I have had all but the Lupo and that is an abortion.
😂😂😂 the lupo.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I wouldn't buy anything on your list , no offense intended. I have had all but the Lupo and that is an abortion.

Well let's hear what you would prefer. Also, what didn't you like about the X Bolt? I honestly have never heard anyone say they don't like it.
Originally Posted by Ky221
😂😂😂 the lupo.

Laugh all you want. That's what I thought until I shot one. No, it's not a good looking rifle, but I guarantee you would be in disbelief by how accurate it is.
Tikka
Originally Posted by Mach3
😂😂😂 the lupo.

Laugh all you want. That's what I thought until I shot one. No, it's not a good looking rifle, but I guarantee you would be in disbelief by how accurate it is.

Idc if it shoots the fabled "1/4 MOA group all day long".

Accuracy is important but not to the point of sacrificing everything else in the name of it. Whether it shoots in the .2s or if it shoots 1MOA. In a hunting rifle....it doesn't matter and sure isn't enough to make me carry that thing afield.

CZ527/550/557
Bergara B14
Sauer 100
Tikka
Cz550
Savage 110
Weatherby vanguard/howa
Tang ruger, mk2, and Hawkeye have been my go to since 1973. Plenty hunting accurate and bomb proof. My hunting bud only shoots browning a bolts and he's well satisfied. We're all different, so should be the responses.
M70 FWT.
Cosmetics and accuracy are only part of the equation. I haven't tried all of these newer rifles but I'm just not seeing the level of reliability that I want in my hunting rifles.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
M70 FWT.

My choice too. 👍
1. Winchester 70 Featherweight
2. Remington 700 Classic
3. Ruger 77

Well let's hear what you would prefer. Also, what didn't you like about the X Bolt? I honestly have never heard anyone say they don't like it.

Browning bolts don’t get much love on this site. But my wife uses a Micro Hunter Abolt in 7mm08 and wouldn’t have any other. Accurate rifle, smooth function, nice trigger. She considers it a death ray.
CZ527/550/557
Bergara B14
Sauer 100
Tikka

This here, especially the sauer when it was on sale at sportsman’s
I have purchased more dozens of new bolt action rifles than i can possibly recall but the latest rifles I have purchased over the last 15 years or so no matter brand have functioned fine and were plenty accurate ( some were scarey accurate) ...Maybe its the tighter tolerances that are much easier to obtain with the latest CNC machinery....You wont find much love for Browning bolt action rifles on this site ( mostly Tikka lovers) but I have owned at least a pile of A-bolt/X-bolt rifles and they are indeed very accurate right out of the box, along with many other brands, even the lowly Ruger American rifles will display excellent accuracy these days.....Hb

Browning X-Bolt by a landslide for me. It has and does everything I need and want in a hunting rifle.

Winchester M70
Tikka T3x
Benelli Lupo

I fully agree with your choices except I have never owned or even held a Benelli Lupo. Although, the rifle looks rather unconventional, I would hold my judgement on the rifle until at least shooting one. RJ
😂😂😂 the lupo.

I would buy one in a second. I love it

If you don't like dissenting opinions then don't start a thread like this.

Look at the back of an Xbolt action , you notice the flimsy little rod sticking out with a plastic ball bearing on it that keeps bolt slop to a minimum for starters. Trigger sucks, I like older Model 70's not the new stuff with that MOA trigger, Tikka is a great value, I own one which I would never get rid of , too bad it is imported by Beretta which I now avoid like the plague for any product they make.

Lupo, multiple parts cobbled together in a Lego fashion. What a [bleep]-ing disgrace to rifle design, You like it because it shoots LMFAO , I can outshoot it any day of the week with my Weathervby Accumark in 257 wby.

Look at the back of an Xbolt action , you notice the flimsy little rod sticking out with a plastic ball bearing on it that keeps bolt slop to a minimum for starters. Trigger sucks, I like older Model 70's not the new stuff with that MOA trigger, Tikka is a great value, I own one which I would never get rid of , too bad it is imported by Beretta which I now avoid like the plague for any product they make.

Lupo, multiple parts cobbled together in a Lego fashion. What a [bleep]-ing disgrace to rifle design, You like it because it shoots LMFAO , I can outshoot it any day of the week with my Weathervby Accumark in 257 wby.

Never said I didn't like your opinion. Where did you get that assumption from? I have no problem with it. I knew I would get a ton of different answers on this which is why I started the thread to see what everyone liked.

My opinion is that the X-Bolts have the best trigger of any other hunting rifles I have. No creep and they break like glass right at 2lbs. I agree with the M70. I have one in 30-06 that was made in the 70s. Nothing wrong with rifles made in Japan. They are quality guns. I don't disagree with you about the Lupo, but I bet it's more accurate than anything in your safe shooting the same exact load.

Don't be so miserable.

Never said I didn't like your opinion. Where did you get that assumption from? I have no problem with it. I knew I would get a ton of different answers on this which is why I started the thread to see what everyone liked.

My opinion is that the X-Bolts have the best trigger of any other hunting rifles I have. No creep and they break like glass right at 2lbs. I agree with the M70. I have one in 30-06 that was made in the 70s. Nothing wrong with rifles made in Japan. They are quality guns. I don't disagree with you about the Lupo, but I bet it's more accurate than anything in your safe shooting the same exact load.

Don't be so miserable.

I don't care if you don't like my opinion.
Don't put up trolling posts and expect anything else. Miserable ? LOL its known as experience. I buy stuff to try out and if it doesn't fit it goes out the door with a couple of exceptions.

Enjoy the Benelli Lego you fit the narrative expressed by PT Barnum.

Don't be so miserable.

I don't care if you don't like my opinion.
Don't put up trolling posts and expect anything else. Miserable ? LOL its known as experience. I buy stuff to try out and if it doesn't fit it goes out the door with a couple of exceptions.

Enjoy the Benelli Lego you fit the narrative expressed by PT Barnum.

Wasn't "trolling". I get it, you're one of those old dudes who think they know what's best about everything and doesn't like anything modern. Carry on.
I own a Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM. It needs a recoil pad (kicks the crap out of me) but I still love it and carry it with confidence. Not my favorite though. I also have (or had) CVs, center fire and rimfire, Kimber’s, Remingtons, Winchesters, Marlins and shot many other brands. I’ve bought three CVA Cascades in the last 18 months and they are by far my favorite and most shot rifles. Smooth actions, great triggers, accurate and they fit me great.

What would you recommend?
The Barrett Fieldcraft checked the boxes for “better than most” for the type of rifle I prefer for hunting.

Shame it was discontinued.
Originally Posted by Trystan

It sounds to me like he'd recommend not getting anything on the list, but I may be reading wrong.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It sounds to me like he'd recommend not getting anything on the list, but I may be reading wrong.

Exactly.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The Barrett Fieldcraft checked the boxes for “better than most” for the type of rifle I prefer for hunting.

Yes , I wish they would bring them back .
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
2. Remington 700 Classic
3. Ruger 77

Yep. Only I would purchase new old stock models of those listed above. Like my 80’s model XRT Featherweight, And my many 700 Classics made in the 80’s.

The only new Ruger’s I’ve bought in years are the Ruger Scout in .308 and several Ruger Americans.
My only complaint on the Ruger American’s is the cheap stock.

The only other rifle that I own that’s truly a new model is my Kimber Adirondack. Would definitely by another.
It’s the best lightweight rifle that I own.

He's clearly asking what he recommends that is NOT on the list. Sheesh. Didn't know people were this damn shallow on here.

My brother had one for a while. Got offered a price he couldn't refuse. Regrets it now.
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didn’t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs. All of my opinions are of the prior A-Bolt I or II series. But by then it was too late - I went to all the other brands and never looked back at Browning. Now, to me, they make all the bronze cerokote guns with high price tags that I can’t really figure out why they are as expensive as they are. What am I getting over a Tikka T3x? Bronze cerokote, some fluting and a clever camo stock doesn’t do it for me.

My buddy has an XBolt Hells Canyon in 300 Win Mag and he loves it so I’m sure it’s just me but thought I’d add my .02
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didn’t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs. All of my opinions are of the prior A-Bolt I or II series. But by then it was too late - I went to all the other brands and never looked back at Browning. Now, to me, they make all the bronze cerokote guns with high price tags that I can’t really figure out why they are as expensive as they are. What am I getting over a Tikka T3x? Bronze cerokote, some fluting and a clever camo stock doesn’t do it for me.

My buddy has an XBolt Hells Canyon in 300 Win Mag and he loves it so I’m sure it’s just me but thought I’d add my .02

I understand what you're saying. There's nothing more purdy than a high gloss wood stock with a polished blued barrel, IMO, and Browning offers plenty of them. The funky muzzle brake thing....yes, their 360 muzzle brakes are a joke, but it's easy to find a quality aftermarket brake that works much better. The location of the safety is perfect and the bolt lock override button was basically invented by them. Great barrels. Great scope mounting options. There's nothing I don't like about the X-Bolt. I've owned both, and the Browning is greatly superior to a Tikka as far as build quality.
I think Sucko came out with a bolt release button on their model 85 in 2006 vs Browning X-bolt in 2008..I have owned several of both and would take the Browning over the Sucko though....Hb

Yes , I wish they would bring them back .

The Barrett Fieldcraft is an over priced hunk of pure shiz. The Tikka will outfeed, outshoot, and outlast one for half the price with a better trigger, barrel, action, and all things mechanical

Winchester M70
Tikka T3x
Benelli Lupo

I used to lean to tikka but Browning IMO has been stepping up to plate lately

The Barrett Fieldcraft however is an over priced boat anchor. A teeker or Browning will shoot circles around that overpriced hunk of shiz.....Lol
The Barrett Fieldcraft is an over priced hunk of pure shiz. The Tikka will outfeed, outshoot, and outlast one for half the price with a better trigger, barrel, action, and all things mechanical

How much time have you spent behind the trigger of a fieldcraft?
Being a lefty (as frustrating as it can be) actually simplifies things sometimes. Every time a new rifle or new design of an old one comes out, I look it up, discover that it isn't offered as a lefty and dismiss it.

Would like a feildcraft or any # of kimbers but.....

Browning makes lefties. Got a SS, A bolt, in 280. Awesome rifle, wish it was a 270 though.

Got a T3x 30-06. Is about everything I want in a PBGR.

Sometimes it's about what's available to you.
The Barrett Fieldcraft however is an over priced boat anchor. A teeker or Browning will shoot circles around that overpriced hunk of shiz.....Lol

Boat anchor?

Why don’t you just come out and say “I don’t know WTF I’m talking about” - it’s more concise.
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didn’t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs.

This is exactly how my position on Browning was formed.
I've maintained that grudge my entire life. laugh
Originally Posted by SKane
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didn’t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs.

Same. The Browning Buckmark sticker was the original “salt life” sticker.

I will admit that Browning O/Us are of excellent quality/longevity and worth the coin. They also fit me like they were bespoke.
Oh yes the Browning O/U's are great..I like several Browning products like the Browning BLR made in Japan and the New A5 made in Portugal is excellent, plus its hard to beat a Browning Buck Mark II .22lr pistol 👍....Hb
Originally Posted by Teal
[quote=SKane]
I will admit that Browning O/Us are of excellent quality/longevity and worth the coin. They also fit me like they were bespoke.

Agreed.

Browning shotguns have almost always been exceptional shotguns for the money. They stopped making good bolts when production was sent to Japan. The Bar and BLR are very nice rifles.

Agreed.

The 16 gauge citori was an absolute sweetheart of a gun.
I started off with a Ruger 77 MK II in .308 Winchester. It was never a great gun, but it killed a few deer for me in my teens. When I was about 18, I had a gunsmith bed it, float it, and do a trigger job. It shot better but I never loved the rifle. The action was clunky and even the trigger job didn't lend itself to accuracy. The butt pad was never great either for such a lightweight gun. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and put on a Pachmyer. Its still just an "ok" gun, but I'll never part with it.

I used to be a diehard Remington guy and almost always carried a custom rifle based on the Remington 700 to the woods in my 20s. They inspired confidence. But they were expensive and were overkill for most of my shooting.

I sold most of my custom rifles. I've got an old ADL I carry to the thick deer woods and also purchased a Tikka T3X in .308 as a backup. The Tikka was a champ and ran flawlessly. However, it just didn't shoot that great. I had a buddy that really wanted the gun and made me a great offer on it. So I sold it. To replace it, I bought a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready. I always hated Browning and their over-priced gloss stocks and tacky engraving. I also hate the Browning stickers rednecks put on their rigs. I only chose the Browning because it met my requirements for a woods gun: available in 6.5 PRC, free-floating stock, descent bedding, and sub-$1200. AND it had to be suppressor ready...and it was the ONLY rifle I could find with a LW barrel that trumpets out to give a suppressor a good mating surface. I reluctantly purchased it. So far, its one of my favorite rifles sans my custom long-range hunting rifle. The action is smooth, its accurate as any (first group out of the rifle was 1/2 MOA), has a short bolt throw, and its easy to carry. The trigger isn't bad. It runs down to about 2 lbs and is crisp enough. I hated throwing aside my bias and saying it, but Browning makes a good gun.

Other than that, my custom is a Big Horn with a Proof barrel, and Manners stock, TriggerTech trigger, and a titanium can. I've got multiple barrels and can swap them out at home.
Older Sako A7 in the lightweight stocks. With a 12 oz. Leupold the SA is just over 7#. Balance perfect and are accurate. Love my A-bolt II also. Both mfg utilize 3 lugs for 60 degree bolt lift and floating bolt head.

Agreed.

I had both a Superposed 20 gauge and a T22, of the salt-dried wood variety, fuq Browning.
Originally Posted by Wrapids

Agreed.

I had both a Superposed 20 gauge and a T22, of the salt-dried wood variety, fuq Browning.

That sucked for dealers, customers and for Browning, what a dumb idea. It happened 60 years ago though so I doubt they repeat that .
😂😂😂 the lupo.

Idc if it shoots the fabled "1/4 MOA group all day long".

Accuracy is important but not to the point of sacrificing everything else in the name of it. Whether it shoots in the .2s or if it shoots 1MOA. In a hunting rifle....it doesn't matter and sure isn't enough to make me carry that thing afield.

CZ527/550/557
Bergara B14
Sauer 100
Tikka

I totally agree. It's dog schidt ugly!!! The ugliest rifle I have (Steven's 200):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Will likely hold its own against the lupus, or what ever disease that rifle is named for.. My list would also include Tikka and CZ, Ruger 77's and older Winchester model 70 featherweights: Pre 64, Classics and XTR's.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Cosmetics and accuracy are only part of the equation. I haven't tried all of these newer rifles but I'm just not seeing the level of reliability that I want in my hunting rifles.

Vern, have you tried a Tikka? I've never had any reliability issues with any of the ones I have.. I can't say that about the myriad of others I've had and let go. That list would be long and distinguished..

I thought we were talking rifles not shotguns? A browning shotgun is in a whole different league vs a browning rifle.. I have owned many and love their shotguns.. Their rifles, not so much..
Originally Posted by Wrapids

Agreed.

That sucked for dealers, customers and for Browning, what a dumb idea. It happened 60 years ago though so I doubt they repeat that .

All such buyers should have been fully refunded. Call me hard headed, but I have never bought another Browning anything.

Browning shotguns have almost always been exceptional shotguns for the money. They stopped making good bolts when production was sent to Japan. The Bar and BLR are very nice rifles.

The rifles are nice but there shotguns are boatanchors and anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool

The rifles are nice but there shotguns are boatanchors and anyone who thinks otherwise is a damn fool

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The X-Bolt rifles are no different. Just because the sticker looks ridiculous doesn't make them bad guns. What a stupid presumption.

The quality is better now. Nothing wrong with being made in Japan. You're a fool if you believe otherwise.

The X-Bolt rifles are no different. Just because the sticker looks ridiculous doesn't make them bad guns. What a stupid presumption.

The presumption born from stupidity is that I correlated the quality of rifles to the sticker.
Browning X-bolts can be pretty nice. This is from my wife's stock X-Bolt Medallion in 6.5CM shooting Norma Factory ammo. Beautiful gun, and I like the extra scope clearance the short bolt throw provides.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Originally Posted by shinbone
Browning X-bolts can be pretty nice. This is from my wife's stock X-Bolt Medallion in 6.5CM shooting Norma Factory ammo. Beautiful gun, and I like the extra scope clearance the short bolt throw provides.

Very nice. This is one of my "overpriced sticker guns"

I have had more problems with Remington 700s than anything else combined, but I just can’t seem to quit them. I think half of the fun is sorting out the gremlins.

But...

If I had to buy a rifle today and use it on a hunt tomorrow, I’d buy a Tikka T3x. I haven’t had a bad one and they’ve all shot great.
I am very happy with my Xbolt SS, the ergo's just fit me like a glove. My 700's and the Steyr will outshoot it however...
The really depressing thing is that all 3 will outshoot my sentimental favorite, a M70 supergrade.......................... but I like blued steel and walnut.

Wasted time arguing with you over the Benelli Lupkin when I plainly see your taste in guns is up your azz. Maple stock with a huge brake, Good Grief and you posted a pic of that crap.

Bone stock Tikka T3x SS synthetic 30-06 Wally World Federal Blue box.

The quality is better now. Nothing wrong with being made in Japan. You're a fool if you believe otherwise.

I'm a bigger fool for arguing with an idiot, you have no depth of knowledge when it comes to firearms none whatsoever, Browning doesn't make any guns, they are a marketing corporation. The only 2 bolt guns they made in Japan where A bolt and X bolt and maybe one other. Quality of manufacturing does not mean the inherent design is superior. DUH

Boat anchor?

Why don’t you just come out and say “I don’t know WTF I’m talking about” - it’s more concise.

laugh laugh
Some of the problems I've seen with Tikka, despite it being one of my favorite rifles:

Recoil can be worse than similar weight guns in the same caliber.

Bolt stops tend to break if you run the gun hards.

Oftentimes, velocity is slower than the same barrel length and same chambering as other brands. Particularly, their 6.5s.

Some guns just won't shoot, especially magnums. I've seen more than one .300 Win and .338 Win that wouldn't group. I've seen two .308s that struggle to get under a minute. Others, complete tack-drivers.

The CTR magazine system is hot garbage. For an over-priced magazine, it sure requires lots of fitting to make it feed reliably.
A rifle I haven't seen mentioned yet: Nosler 21.
Originally Posted by tylerw02

The nosler 21 is a boat anchor

Can you qualify that comment?
Christensen Mesa.
Miroku makes excellent rifles and shotguns.

Montanas
Ruger tangers
M70 Featherweights

I'd love the opportunity to add Nula to the list

No, he can't. He's never touched one.

Wasted time arguing with you over the Benelli Lupkin when I plainly see your taste in guns is up your azz. Maple stock with a huge brake, Good Grief and you posted a pic of that crap.

Bone stock Tikka T3x SS synthetic 30-06 Wally World Federal Blue box.

Good for you! Do you want a cookie!? I get nothing but compliments about that maple Browning and it shoots just as good your amazing Tikka. You're the only miserable POS who thinks otherwise. Sorry if that APA muzzle brake that is much better than the joke of a radial brake that comes with the rifle hurt your feelings. Tool.

Oh, and a SS Tikka? Wow, never seen them before! Great taste!
Originally Posted by bartman

Any sticky goo stock issues with it?

I'm a bigger fool for arguing with an idiot, you have no depth of knowledge when it comes to firearms none whatsoever, Browning doesn't make any guns, they are a marketing corporation. The only 2 bolt guns they made in Japan where A bolt and X bolt and maybe one other. Quality of manufacturing does not mean the inherent design is superior. DUH

That's just YOUR opinion. DUH

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14562061/1

Seems like you had plenty good to say about X-Bolts not too long ago.

Can you "unquantify" that comment??? There's a reason why NOBODY brought up the "Nosler 21" 🤗
In my experience:

Steyr

Blaser
Originally Posted by rembo
Christensen Mesa.

All the Christensens that I have personal experience with have been hit or miss. The ones that are good are great. The ones that aren't are dogs. Unfortunately, even though everybody turns out a dog now and again, it seems that Christensen is about 50/50, which is way too many bad ones for their price point. Now, I have only shot a little over a dozen of them (Mesa and Ridgeline), but at least 6 of those were ones that friends or fellow club members had and were trying to "get it to shoot". As I always have my tool kit with me at the range, I stop to help with ensuring everything is good with optics, feeding, and action screws. Even after all that, I still couldn't get them to shoot better than 2MOA. That just isn't good enough for a $1000+ rifle.

In regards to the conversation at hand, I have only owned one Browning rifle, an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in 7-08. It was an absolute hammer on whitetails and it was one of the first factory rifles I was aware of that had a palm swell in the pistol grip. It fit me great and it was a great and accurate rifle. I also loved the fact that it had an actual magazine (steel) that allowed you to drop the floorplate and not have your ammo dump all over the place. It allowed for quick loading and unloading when traveling from spot to spot. The only reason I don't have that rifle anymore is that I currently shoot suppressors on all of my hunting rifles and the thin barrel on that rifle didn't suit threading. Plus a good friend of mine needed a good deer rifle, so I was happy to sell it to him.

Tikka is my current favorite factory rifle due to the trigger and action. I like the Brownings, but am not a fan of their triggers or their optics mounting set-up. Plus, it took them forever to finally start offering standard barrel threading and even then offering a 26" barrel with threads isn't the right answer. Being fair, Tikka still hasn't caught on to that one yet either.

Can you "unquantify" that comment??? There's a reason why NOBODY brought up the "Nosler 21" 🤗

Please, tell us about your vast experience with the Nosler 21.
BTW: I'd imagine few have gotten to try one as it hasn't been available long.

No dog in this fight. However, the question was asked about the Nosler M21. Go here if you want to find out about the issues with the M21 in 6.5 PRC. Grab a beer and sit down, it's a saga:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/nosler-model-21.240774/

Go Trystan!

Yeah , I did they are nicely made rifles too bad they lack character. I also said nice things about TIkkas but won't buy another until Beretta no longer owns them. That Tikka will outshoot that maple stocked abortion you own.

Originally Posted by devnull

No dog in this fight. However, the question was asked about the Nosler M21. Go here if you want to find out about the issues with the M21 in 6.5 PRC. Grab a beer and sit down, it's a saga:

Am I understanding correctly, mostly a feeding issue and complaints about the relatively short magazine?

Sounds like Nosler hired someone from Montana Rifle Company for QC. I think those are growing pains but one would think they would have tested them more when releasing them to the public.

Yeah , I did they are nicely made rifles too bad they lack character. I also said nice things about TIkkas but won't buy another until Beretta no longer owns them. That Tikka will outshoot that maple stocked abortion you own.

No, it won't. I've once owned both in the same caliber and the Tikka doesn't shoot any better. I actually sold the Tikka because it wasn't any better. That maple stock feels and looks better than any plastic pile of chit you ever had your hands on. Only an arrogant moron like you would think otherwise.
Better than most factory hunting rifles....as has been pointed out earlier, I think the Vanguard deserves mention.

Liking mine for the price I paid, quite a bit.

This ones a 308 Win. I'll have it scoped this week.

Tikka t3x in a krg bravo.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I'd have one if KRG made it in long/standard action

They are sweet. And it gets you an aics mag
Am I understanding correctly, mostly a feeding issue and complaints about the relatively short magazine?[/quote]

Tylerw02,

If you have to ask for someone to validate your feelings you might be confused

Tikka is my pick, haven’t seen a bad one.

I'm putting a 6.5 creedmoor together with this setup as we speak. I went with a new takeoff CTR barrel, Area 416 self timing muzzle break, 20 moa rail, Bushnell DMR3 with G4 reticle, and AICS mags. Also ordered a bunch of stuff from mountain tactical so no plastic.

It is almost impossible to beat a tikka with ANYTHING and I don't care what it is. They are the most dependable and functional rifle that is available today and I'd take one over any of the $2500 customs if I could only pick one
Originally Posted by OGB
Being a lefty (as frustrating as it can be) actually simplifies things sometimes. Every time a new rifle or new design of an old one comes out, I look it up, discover that it isn't offered as a lefty and dismiss it.

Browning makes lefties. Got a SS, A bolt, in 280. Awesome rifle, wish it was a 270 though.

I’m right handed and left eye dominant so I’ve shot left handed since I was 12. The only left handlers I have are two Stag Ar’s and my Lyman flintlock. I think I’d struggle with a lh bolt action because I’m so use to seeing into the action without tilting the gun and working the bolt with my right hand. It would definitely be speaking Greek to me.

Beautiful piece of wood on that rifle! It’s not a rifle I would own, but appreciate the wood. As long as we’re talking about wood… Are stocks ever made out of cherry? I don’t remember ever seeing one and maybe there is a reason for that.
Am I understanding correctly, mostly a feeding issue and complaints about the relatively short magazine?

Tylerw02,

If you have to ask for someone to validate your feelings you might be confused

[/quote]

I didn’t ask for validation. But glancing over a 30+ page thread that was all I saw. So GFY.

I'm putting a 6.5 creedmoor together with this setup as we speak. I went with a new takeoff CTR barrel, Area 416 self timing muzzle break, 20 moa rail, Bushnell DMR3 with G4 reticle, and AICS mags. Also ordered a bunch of stuff from mountain tactical so no plastic.

It is almost impossible to beat a tikka with ANYTHING and I don't https://rifleshooter.com/2016/06/30...-175-and-220-smk-with-h110-and-imr-4227/ care what it is. They are the most dependable and functional rifle that is available today and I'd take one over any of the $2500 customs if I could only pick one

Sounds biased and ignorant. Looks par.

It is almost impossible to beat a tikka with ANYTHING and I don't care what it is. They are the most dependable and functional rifle that is available today and I'd take one over any of the $2500 customs if I could only pick one

The only good thing about a factory T3x is their triggers and accuracy. Their stocks suck, the location of the safety sucks, the bolt doesn't lock down. Barrel twists aren't the best, lack of options for a muzzle brake or suppressor. Oh and their ugly for the most part.

The accuracy is subjective anyway. My old Rem 700 308 could shoot better than a Tikka any day with factory ammo. And don't get me started on the new Benelli Lupo. That thing will shoot better than anything straight out of the box. But it's also ugly as hell.

Although, when factoring price, you're right, nothing beats a Tikka. But it definitely doesn't deserve all the overhyped fandom it gets.
😂😂😂

The only good thing about a factory T3x is their triggers and accuracy. Their stocks suck, the location of the safety sucks, the bolt doesn't lock down. Barrel twists aren't the best, lack of options for a muzzle brake or suppressor. Oh and their ugly for the most part.

The accuracy is subjective anyway. My old Rem 700 308 could shoot better than a Tikka any day with factory ammo. And don't get me started on the new Benelli Lupo. That thing will shoot better than anything straight out of the box. But it's also ugly as hell.

Although, when factoring price, you're right, nothing beats a Tikka. But it definitely doesn't deserve all the overhyped fandom it gets.
My Tikka has a walnut stock, the safety is located just fine, is quiet to operate and it locks the bolt down when in the safe position. It also groups damn near anything you feed it under an inch at 100 yards and will shoot it's favored loads under .5".
Mach 3 should just stop. I'm not sure he has ever seen a tikka.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

My Tikka has a walnut stock, the safety is located just fine, is quiet to operate and it locks the bolt down when in the safe position. It also groups damn near anything you feed it under an inch at 100 yards and will shoot it's favored loads under .5".

You're probably right. But there are plenty of rifles that can do the same thing.

Owned 2 of them actually. Don't own either anymore. They're not bad rifles at all. There's just nothing special about them. I've even seen Ruger Americans shoot just as good as a Tikka. Also, tell me about the long/standard actions when you want to run longer than most COAL hand loads. Impossible because the magazine design sucks. And this is a known problem with Tikka.
Can't say the stock, action length etc of a Tikka rifle has ever been a problem for me in any way.

Not loading super custom handloads or anything, mind. But other than it being a bit too light for my tastes (spot the guy who ain't mountain climbing)....cant say anything on the rifle is bad. At all.

Do others do the same? At the current price range, that's an interesting thought. Canadian prices wise, I am gonna say no. The Vanguard maybe?

My feelings also, about the Browning CF's. I do have a Belgian Browning .22 Auto, sweet little gun. Also, even though I just don't like the idea of Japanese shotguns, I have a stainless BT 99 trap gun that has been bulletproof for thousands of rounds of trap over about 30 years.

Probably my favorite CF rifles are my Sako 85 in 6.5X55. and a couple of Ruger tangers.

Mach,
Honest question here. What factory rifle feeds and extracts better than a Tikka? What factory rifle has a better trigger than a Tikka? I get it that the ergos on the stock may not fit all and the magazines don't allow for OAL. I haven't found anything in factory form to come close to what it does offer.
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by OGB

I’m right handed and left eye dominant so I’ve shot left handed since I was 12. The only left handlers I have are two Stag Ar’s and my Lyman flintlock. I think I’d struggle with a lh bolt action because I’m so use to seeing into the action without tilting the gun and working the bolt with my right hand. It would definitely be speaking Greek to me.

I have known multiple guys who shot left handed but used righty bolt guns. They had their whole lives and would fumble around with a lefty bolt gun.
I'd be in the same boat with a lefty AR. 20+ years worth of reps with Uncle Sam's righty ARs.
I have owned 11 Tikka rifles (none at the moment) but maybe T3x Lite SS 30-06 soon...For their price range they are hard to beat and you Got to love that notorious Beretta customer service 😂.....just better hope you never need it like I did....Hb
Kimber Montana for me. It's light, smooth, fits me well and shoots great.

Mach,
Honest question here. What factory rifle feeds and extracts better than a Tikka? What factory rifle has a better trigger than a Tikka? I get it that the ergos on the stock may not fit all and the magazines don't allow for OAL. I haven't found anything in factory form to come close to what it does offer.

All depends what price range you're talking. There are factory rifles much better than a Tikka, but you'd have to spend a bit more IMO.

Originally Posted by Buckshot77

Ding! Ding! Ding! Give this man a cookie! 👍.....Hb
If I was buying a new rifle it would be a Bergara or a Tikka......... Unless Barrett decides to start building fieldcrafts again.
Originally Posted by wyoming260
If I was buying a new rifle it would be a Bergara or a Tikka......... Unless Barrett decides to start building fieldcrafts again.

Man, I wish the Bergara B14s were still in the same price range as the first one I bought.
Yeah I love the look of that B14 Extreme Hunter but the bastids wont sell it in the USA.....Hb
For some reason I got the idea we were talking about bolt guns here. If that's not the case, I love my No. 1
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by 450BM
Originally Posted by OGB

I have known multiple guys who shot left handed but used righty bolt guns. They had their whole lives and would fumble around with a lefty bolt gun.
I'd be in the same boat with a lefty AR. 20+ years worth of reps with Uncle Sam's righty ARs.

Yep, that would be me… I’ve shot archery left handed too since I switched with rifles. Couldn’t shoot a right handed bow if my life depended on it. I hold pistols with my right hand and use my left eye. Tried with my left hand but not enough to make it automatic. I really should work on that.

Same here. It's a critter killing fly rod.
Wow, some of you gals sure get emotional about other people's rifles. Maybe try some Midol when you get all cramped up like that.
Originally Posted by Hookset
Wow, some of you gals sure get emotional about other people's rifles. Maybe try some Midol when you get all cramped up like that.

LMAO! ....and true...Hb

Exactly

Owned 2 of them actually. Don't own either anymore. They're not bad rifles at all. There's just nothing special about them. I've even seen Ruger Americans shoot just as good as a Tikka. Also, tell me about the long/standard actions when you want to run longer than most COAL hand loads. Impossible because the magazine design sucks. And this is a known problem with Tikka.

You owned 2 tikkas and don't know the bolt locks down? Holy schitt dude you should have someone show you how to operate a rifle

You owned 2 tikkas and don't know the bolt locks down? Holy schitt dude you should have someone show you how to operate a rifle

It is almost impossible to beat a tikka with ANYTHING and I don't https://rifleshooter.com/2016/06/30...-175-and-220-smk-with-h110-and-imr-4227/ care what it is. They are the most dependable and functional rifle that is available today and I'd take one over any of the $2500 customs if I could only pick one

Sounds biased and ignorant. Looks par.

At least they feed! Minimum requirement for a real rifle.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I think Sucko came out with a bolt release button on their model 85 in 2006 vs Browning X-bolt in 2008..I have owned several of both and would take the Browning over the Sucko though....Hb

Steyr SBS had a "bolt unlock button" in the late 90's.

Sure would be nice if they turned out a 1:7 22Creed in a Montana.
Tikka. I love Kimbers....but Tikka is as foolproof as it gets.
If Tikka could figure out mags,bottom "metal" and RPM,they'd have something. They get more wrong,than right...especially when everything is on a '06 receiver. Hint...................
My Tikka's and older A7's I have easily the most accurate out of the box.

My
Winchesters
Rugers
Kimbers have all been great shooters and reliable.
Cz 550

Calm down, I meant only when the safety is on, you can't unload it with the safety on, which is stupid.

Also, couldn't tell you how many times I accidentally bumped the safety off while walking through woods and thickets. Dumb location and it sticks up way too far.

As far as Tikkas, for me

Action: awesome
Accuracy: awesome
Trigger: great
Stock: sucks
Magazine design: one of the worst for hand loads
Safety: sucks

I will also say that I do love how you can mount scope rings directly to the factory dovetail. Tikka at least did something right with that.
I have a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker and 3 Tikka T3/T3x's. I like the Browning a lot more than the Tikka's. Tang safety, better stock (no sticky stuff), 1 more round in the mag and I like the ergos better too.
I'm thinking of getting a Kimber Hunter or Hunter Pro Desolve Blak. I haven't seen anybody chime in on the Kimber Hunters yet. Any opinions on them?
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
2. Remington 700 Classic
3. Ruger 77

My top three as well, but maybe not in that order.
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I have a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker and 3 Tikka T3/T3x's. I like the Browning a lot more than the Tikka's. Tang safety, better stock (no sticky stuff), 1 more round in the mag and I like the ergos better too.
I'm thinking of getting a Kimber Hunter or Hunter Pro Desolve Blak. I haven't seen anybody chime in on the Kimber Hunters yet. Any opinions on them?

The Stainless Stalkers are about as good as a factory hunting rifle gets
Browning xbolt hands down for me ergonomics, accuracy, ease of operation, reliable.
1. Kimber Montana (84m)

Light isn’t easy to do well, and the Montana does light incredibly well.

Mine have been very accurate.

They have phenomenal factory triggers.

Stock quality is top notch - the equal to the best McMillans I have - and the stock soaks up recoil like no other I’ve run.

Magazine and throat geometry are done right.

Tough, all weather, hunting rifle with no floor plate to empty the magazine at just the wrong time.

My Montana 7-08 is my favorite rifle.

Plus, the little .223 Montana is all the above with an action scaled so well to that cartridge...

2. Barrett Fieldcraft might have a chance to equal or better the Montana in many ways, but it’s a little heavier - and shaving weight well (like the Montana) is hard to quantify.

I love the Fieldcraft from field/hunting positions.

(I sat in an 80 acre field and dry fired a few rifles at deer from various field positions after the season - very educational exercise if you get the chance - the Fieldcraft was a wonderful blend of everything needed to get on target and touch off “shots” that stayed rock solid in the vitals - moving deer, near, far, stationary - really fit well and got on target and stayed there - swung well on all kinds of moving targets - impressive - will hunt it a bunch and see how it stacks up for real.

I haven’t found any factory rifles I thought were quite in the Montana/Fieldcraft class - although there are several I really like - but I like rifles enough I’m going to keep trying.

3. Although very different from the Montanas and Fieldcrafts, I’ve got a pre 64 M70 Featherweight that I absolutely love.

Fair weather rifle that drives tacks and fits me really well. Can’t get the factory trigger to rival the Montana or Fieldcraft, of course, but I’m not swapping it. Might send it to a better gunsmith...grin.

3a. Rem 700 xcr in 7-08 that I dropped in an Edge. It’s fantastic, but not exactly factory in the McMillan stock.

DJ
I was excited to learn about the New Barrett Fieldcraft and could not wait to get My hands on one till I did. For me the stock sucked! So i gladly handed it back to the salesman. I have found only one factory bolt action rifle that equals ( or in my case betters a Montana) and that is the Proof Research Elevation .308 Win, its not quite as light as a Montana but mine is a fantastic rifle that feels great in My hands and will shoot my handloads into one ragged hole @100 yds if I do my part that is....Some days i shoot better than others 😁....Good hunting...Hb
Originally Posted by DJTex

Tough, all weather, hunting rifle with no floor plate to empty the magazine at just the wrong time.

This gets posted all the time... but who actually does this? DBM or floor plate, to each their own... this just seems like a silly reason.
I’ve never handled one of the Proof Research rifles, but if it’s better than a Montana, I’d love to get my hands on one.

The jury is still out for me with the Fieldcraft. I haven’t had it long.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with the Fieldcraft handling it before I scoped it, but I liked it better shooting it off the bench and dialing it in, but I still didn’t like it as well as a Montana.

It wasn’t until I started playing with it dry firing on a field full of deer that it distinguished itself. I had several rifles and was going to spend the evening doing some long range shooting, but when I saw deer feeding I decided to play around with some rifles dry firing from field positions on live targets. It was sort of eye opening. I know the extra beef in the barrel made the Fieldcraft steadier (it's a 24” 6.5CM) - it just seemed to want to balance and get right on target and stay there better than than the other rifles I had with me.

I think I’ll use it calling coyotes and see how that goes - should be interesting.

DJ
Tikka is an easy, solid, dependable, and ultra-accurate bet.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Hookset

LMAO! ....and true...Hb

No kidding. It's par for the course, really or, better stated, it is really the status quo. The OP's initial post asking: "What would everyone say are the best out of the box?", from my perspective, wants other people's opinions which may or may not be backed up by empirical data and both objective and subjective input. As always happens some participant asserts opinions as facts and make it known to the world that if one does not agree they are a moron/a-hole/etc. It makes for great entertainment.

Having not tried them all, of the ones I have tried, my first choice (opinion) is a Barret Fieldcraft. My second choice (opinion) is a Kimber Montana. My third choice (opinion) would be either a Browning X-bolt of some form or a Tikka T3/T3X. All of those on my list have demonstrated, for me, exceptional function and exceptional accuracy. Heck, I'm not sure I've purchased a rifle in the past 20 years that I would not assert to be accurate beyond my capabilities.

Rossi

This gets posted all the time... but who actually does this? DBM or floor plate, to each their own... this just seems like a silly reason.

If it doesn't have a detachable magazine, I won't even look at the rifle

I wish everyone thought this way... I'd be cleaning up on M70s and high end Mausers 😇😂

It’s not DBM vs floor plate - it’s ADL vs BDL - floorplate vs no floorplate.

What makes sense depends on what kind of country you hunt and how you use your rifle.

I rattle a good bit in south Texas and guide in the brush country fairly often.

I was on a blood trail of a hunter’s deer - literally crawling through thick brush with a Moldel 700 BDL (hinged fllorplate) slung over my shoulder, and as I was working through the thicket I managed to hang some brush and open the floor plate and dump 4 rounds out.

Backtracked and finally found them, got back on the blood and found the deer dead a few hundred yards later, but the only rounds I had were in the rifle (and of course I didn’t have one chambered), so it was aggravating to find the floorplate open.

ADL style rifles have something less to go wrong - and it’s not a silly choice in the least if the way you use a rifle justifies preferring it over the convenience of a hinged floorplate or detachable magazine.

DJ

I've come to prefer magazines that can't be lost, misplaced or fall out of the rifle.
Yep, I love my Montana but I really prefer a hinged floorplate best, I think my least favorite is a Detachable Mag as i lost one out of a Tikka T3 Several years back ( With 2 Of my .300 Win Mag Handloads inside) and it is still laying somewhere on Black Mtn to this day ....Hb
I have no use for a floorplate
© 24hourcampfire