Home
Lads,

I see a lot of guys touting the 160gr. bullet weight in 7Mag and I get that weight is very useful. I have a Savage in 7Mag that loves either the TTSX or Partition in 150gr. Seems like most guys either shoot 140gr. bullets or they skip the 150gr. and go to 160 grainers. My 150gr. TTSX or Partition loads at 3150fps seem to be more than capable of anything from mice to moose!

Just wondering how many shoot and love the 150gr. bullets as much as I do?

Elk Country
You are correct, 150 grain seems to be neglected unless it's Hornady 154 gr. I use 160 gr Partition for elk out of my 7mm RM even though it will shoot Barnes 150 TSX under 1/2 inch. I personally use 160 Partition because I trust it more and experienced Barnes failed to expand on mule deer, it simply passed through it 3 shots in a row, the buck just stood there until I put in him a soft point bullet.
150 grain partitions are great in the 7mm-08, 7x57, 280, 280AI, and 7mm RM.

It’s the most accurate bullet in three of the above rifles. Regarding the 7x57 and 7mm-08 I mostly use Hornady bullets, but partitions would be great too.
The 150 Swift Scirocco is poison on elk from 7mm's in my opinion. If I can make it shoot, it's an amazing bullet.

Dober put alot of stuff to sleep with the 150 Ballistic Tip.
Started with the 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Shot a lot of deer and hogs with them. Wouldn’t hesitate to shoot most anything with it.

GreggH
I’ve always used 140’s. They have done great, never felt the need to change.
I load the 150 Ballistic Tip for a good buddy. As a rancher he uses his rifle allot for many different types of animals. His 7 Mag lives in his truck. He has killed literal truckloads of stuff with it.
I've had enough faith in the partition that is if a certain weight bullet was called for or recommended, I could drop one weight & use a partition.

The same with a caliber recommendation. Certain caliber recommended for a critter, drop one & use a partition.

Elmer Keith recommending .333 & .338's to kill Elk was not so much his bullheadedness & thinking of the .40+ bores of the old days, but the poor bullet performance in the smaller bores at the time.

EK thought a 338 was needed due to the bullets of the time. Not the chambering.

The only reason I dislike quoting Schicks that his head swells that much MORE.

But: "bullets, not headstamps, matter"

Long story short, a 150 partition in a 7 mag. is a wonderful combo IMO. So, I have the love.
Partitions are never a bad choice IMO. I've had very good luck with a 150 BT running 3100' from my Tikka 695 7mag too. A few years ago now.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
150s are all we ever used.
I've killed deer and elk with BTs or Partitions.
Only used it for a few years and moved on.

Dad can add moose and Caribou to the list, and he has been killing
stuff with the same bullets since the mid 80s.

PS. He used Core-Lokts for awhile. Good clean kills, mixed with either
pencil holes or terrible damage. Switched to Noslers (solid bases first)
And the drama ended.
Originally Posted by beretzs
The 150 Swift Scirocco is poison on elk from 7mm's in my opinion. If I can make it shoot, it's an amazing bullet.

Dober put alot of stuff to sleep with the 150 Ballistic Tip.

The 150gr Swift is the only bullet I've used on game with the 7mm Mag, it's a wonderful bullet.
I have a lifetime supply of 150gr Sciroccos, and have no desire to use anything else.
I use the 145 lrx
Originally Posted by Fotis
I use the 145 lrx

This bullet has been intriguing to me also. Just can’t find any around here!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I couldn’t be the only one who appreciates the 150gr bullet weight!

Keep the replies and dead animal by 150gr bullets pictures coming!

Elk Country
I used 140 partitions for 30 years, couldn’t get them during the first big shortage, so I tried ballistic tips. They kill deer and pigs just as well. If I was Mule deer hunting, maybe the 150’s would be a better choice.
When the 7 RM first came out the 150-grain bullet was the most popular. If my memory is correct Remington only offered at first a 150 grain CL and a round-nose 175 grain CL
Everyone I've known who used a 7 Rem Mag used 150's. I've always considered it the standard load
Originally Posted by super T
When the 7 RM first came out the 150-grain bullet was the most popular. If my memory is correct Remington only offered at first a 150 grain CL and a round-nose 175 grain CL

I started out with a 7mm Rem mag when I got out of the Army, 1973. I killed the small SE Texas first with the 175 Clkt, just to keep from tearing them up. Years later, when I started handloading, I went with the Nosler 150 Partition. It was perfect. I tried some 140 NBT, but the rifle loved the 150. I "did" make up some Nosler 160 PT loads for "elk". I never got to use it, but I loaned the rifle/ammo to a friend (who didn't want to use his familiar 243) for an elk hunt. he and another guy double teamed a raghorn with it in Colorado.

I gathered a supply of the 150 NPT and some older Speer 160 Mag Tips for my new to me Mod 70 fwt in 7x57. I'm a nostalgic/Traditionalist by heart. I used the Hornady 139 SP exclusively in my first 280 Remington with perfect satisfaction too.

In the mid 90's, Remington came out with the 165 "Extended Range" ammo for the 7mm RM. I never tried it, but my PH friend in South Africa hated, really hated the 7mm RM guys brought over. when I dug in, I found out they all used this very thin jacketed ammo. Its the bullet....:)
You mean they actually make a .284” bullet other than 140 grains??? LOL. Guilty as charged. Started out with 140’s and have never tried anything else! 7x57, .280 Rem, 7Mag, 7 STW…all 140 Barnes X bullets. I guess if they ever stop making the 140’s…. Nope let’s not even entertain such nonsense.
I like the 150gr Ballistic Tips out of my 7mag.I get really quick kills with that bullet and everyone has exited.I'm getting just a tad larger wound channel with the 150gr Ballistic Tip than I do with a 160gr Accubond because it sheds about 10% more weight according to Nosler.Nosler came out with a 160gr Ballistic Tip that is probably a great bullet too,but 7mm bullets have been kinda short supply lately.This is from Nosler website under frequently asked questions.
What is the difference between the Ballistic Tip® and the AccuBond®?

Externally, they look the same except for the tip colors, Ballistic Tip® bullets are color-coded by caliber while all AccuBond® bullets have white tips. Internally the Ballistic Tip® is not bonded and is designed for controlled expansion on medium game with approximately 50-60% weight retention. Conversely, the lead alloy core of the AccuBond® is bonded to the jacket. This bonding increases weight retention (65-70%) and slows expansion resulting in deeper penetration and enhanced bone-breaking potential in larger animals.
My 7M doesn't "like" 150 Partitions but does well with 150 PTs. Some old Speer Grand Slams worked well on a couple of Colorado bulls. Recently tried some 120TTSX on deer and hogs: knocks 'em flat!
My 7mm mag and my 7mm RUM (both gone down the road now) shot 150 gr BTs under a half inch and performed great on white tails and mule deer. I always got an exit, even when heavy bone was hit. Great bullet.
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Originally Posted by Fotis
I use the 145 lrx

This bullet has been intriguing to me also. Just can’t find any around here!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I couldn’t be the only one who appreciates the 150gr bullet weight!

Keep the replies and dead animal by 150gr bullets pictures coming!

Elk Country

I get 3250 ang sub moa with Reloader 26
I'd rather use 160's in the 7mm rem mag personally, but I have a schidt ton of 150gr partitions I bought when they were cheap at SPS. I also like and use the 162gr Hornady BTSP interlock in the old 7mm. Made my longest 1 shot kill on a buck with that bullet. The 162 ELDX also works. I use 150's in my 7mm08 and it likes them. To me the Rem mag can sling them faster, you might as well be using 160 class/weight bullets, unless you have a stockpile of 150's like some of us do..
Fotis,

I plan to try them as soon as I can find some. I’m thinking somewhere between 67-69gr of RL26 should do it!! The 150gr TTSX shoots great at 67gr. I could go a little higher but it shoots 3/4” and 3150fps is fast enough!
There isn't a .284" 150 worth a fhuqk and same goes the 160's. Hint.

There are some exceptional 162's,but hold The fluff and pass the 180 ELD's and their .796 BC at 2850fps+. No thang to arrange magfed Smooches in an OEM Big Green chambered same and they need to be seen,to be believed. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Though the LR stock is better than a Sendero,there's MUCH room for improvement. Hint.

I've never heard of '26. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
Originally Posted by elkcountry
Fotis,

I plan to try them as soon as I can find some. I’m thinking somewhere between 67-69gr of RL26 should do it!! The 150gr TTSX shoots great at 67gr. I could go a little higher but it shoots 3/4” and 3150fps is fast enough!

I'm loading 69.0grs of Reloader 26,Rem.case,WLRM primer.I went as high as 70.0grs,but just stayed with 69.0.I felt that was fast enough.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This load,67.5grs of Reloader 26 with with a 160gr Accubond ran 3084fps.I was using Reloader 22 until I tried Reloader 26.It was easy working up a load.I just increased my load of Reloader 26 by 1.5grs over what I was loading with Reloader 22.
Several years ago I built a 7mm and specifically had it throated for the 180gr Berger VLD (this was before most of the other high BC bullets were on the market).
My rifle absolutely refused to shoot this bullet
I tinkered with several other bullets and struck gold with the 160gr Accubond, It shot so well that I switched all my other rifles in 7cal to this bullet
Mine is a Ruger model 77 200th year of American Liberty circa 1976 bought new when I was in High school. It’s never shot 160’s well and I’ve never tried 140’s but it shoots 150 ballistic tips & now 150 grain TTSX into a single hole at 100 yards.

It’s killed a few truckloads of deer & elk, a nice boat at 513 with just hold over & its been a death ray all but one elk taken with 150 grain bullet. When I’m gone the best shot in the family gets it.
That wasn't the Game Warden's "boat" you hit at 513yds, was it? smile
Does anyone use IMR 4831 or IMR 7828 SSC anymore.
I’ve got 80lbs of h4831 a 270 and a buncha 130’s… I won’t starve… 👊🏻😅
Maybe I need turrets though??? Fml!!!😅
7828 is all I run in my 7 Mag. IMR 4831 is my second most used powder. So yep!

GreggH
I have used 150 gr TTSX in my 7 Roy with great results since I bought it. Never felt the need to switch bullets. I’ve been working up 139 and 145 gr LRX loads for my 7x57. I’m sure either of them would work just fine in 7 mags, too.
Originally Posted by Judman
Hence the powder shortage! 🤣🤣🤣

Ha ha.. I had to laugh at this one.. You are good to go buddy..

I have 6lbs. of RL26 and a lot of 130gr. TBT’s and 129gr. LRX’s for my 270Win. The 270 is my main Hunter but I always take and sometimes use my backup! That’s why I have the 7Mag! I got it from a cousin for $200 and it shoots great!

Love reading about you 7Mag follies with 150gr. pills!

Elk Country
Honey,

She cain't afford a 7mm Rem Mag and she'll prove same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
A friend I've hunted with since I was a kid has used a boat paddle ruger m77 7 mag with 150 grain Winchester power point psp loads for 20 plus years I've seen many deer and elk fall to that combo. I chronied his factory loads one day for him and was fairly impressed that they were actually going 3150fps.

Bb
I shoot 150 partitions exclusively in mine. Max load of IMR 4350 and mag primers. If I miss (seldom) it’s my fault.
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
You mean they actually make a .284” bullet other than 140 grains??? LOL. Guilty as charged. Started out with 140’s and have never tried anything else! 7x57, .280 Rem, 7Mag, 7 STW…all 140 Barnes X bullets. I guess if they ever stop making the 140’s…. Nope let’s not even entertain such nonsense.

When are "they' going to resume making factory ammo anymore?
First, the 280 Rem, 180g Eld-M, R#17, Lapua 30/06 brass, 2700 fps on a bullet with .796 BC does not suck. Most forget that "On Target" velocity does count.

7 Mag, R#22, cci 250, 180g ELD-M at 2850 on a low end node Hammers hard.

There is another node at 3030 with R#26 with the 180g ELD-M that shoots tiny groups, and I am hoping that I do not see the bullets blow up in my 9T.

Remember, "On Target" velocity. I shot a hog at 460 yards, about 200 lbs. He jumped straight up like a bottle rocket and was dead as hell when his head hit the ground.

I throat the chamber for these 180g bullets, they shoot right out of the gate!
Originally Posted by 79S

Damnit! now I've got to watch the rest of the episodes. What a hoot! The hotdog on the cashew can top for a tom tom was the icing on the cake.
Originally Posted by keith
There is another node at 3030 with R#26 with the 180g ELD-M that shoots tiny groups, and I am hoping that I do not see the bullets blow up in my 9T.
I’ve been shooting that bullet at about the same velocity from my 8” twist barrels with no blowup issues so far.
My two pals that is a favorite wt. of theirs for the 7mm mag. They love em both.
Just ordered another 100 Barnes 150gr. TTSX bullets! I’ll be set for a long time and am perfectly happy with 150’s in my 7Mag!
I’ve killed everything from Coyotes to Elk with 150’s out of my 7RM. Mostly used the 150TTSX, have used the 150 NBT on Antelope and WT deer. Have also used the 140 TSX and TTSX and 162 ELDX.

The barrel is about done on it and debating going 28 Nosler for the next barrel. That or possibly .300 Norma. The. 7Mag and 150’s kills stuff near and far. To paraphrase Mule Deer; It’ll do for any North American big game, at any sane distance.
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I shoot 150 partitions exclusively in mine. Max load of IMR 4350 and mag primers. If I miss (seldom) it’s my fault.

Exact load I used in mine for ten years. Even at 15yds, a shot behind the shoulders made soup of the lungs et no bloodshot meat!
FWIW, never had great luck in a few 7RMs using 140s, but the 150BT would do 1/2" for 3 in the last I had, a BDL SS Sporter.......

I like heavy bullets, but that rifle shot that so well, no reason to use anything else on alot of game to sane ranges.......

That said, I am partial to ABs over BTs.......and perhaps PTs for many applications
Much love for 7mm Weatherby Magnum loaded with 150's @ 3250!!!
© 24hourcampfire