Home
Hi all,

I am having a Contender rifle barrel made up, and I would like to have it throated to shoot heavy bullets like the Speer 250 spitzer, seated as long as possible (~0.25-0.30" seating depth). I think I should be able to push them with LVR near 2300 fps when loaded this way in the 24" barrel, at 45k psi (in theory; I haven't chrono'd anything yet).

I think this would make a very handy elk and deer rifle. Any thoughts?

My next issue is that the Speer bullet is out of stock everywhere, so my other option is to send a dummy round with my 220 gr MP Mold flat points that I cast.

Pete
I think you're expecting more like 358 Winchester ballistics than 35 Remington.

Okie John
Exactly!
I don't believe John thinks you'll get there.
Originally Posted by mathman
I don't believe John thinks you'll get there.

Neither do I.
Originally Posted by pka45
Hi all,

I am having a Contender rifle barrel made up, and I would like to have it throated to shoot heavy bullets like the Speer 250 spitzer, seated as long as possible (~0.25-0.30" seating depth). I think I should be able to push them with LVR near 2300 fps when loaded this way in the 24" barrel, at 45k psi (in theory; I haven't chrono'd anything yet).

I think this would make a very handy elk and deer rifle. Any thoughts?

My next issue is that the Speer bullet is out of stock everywhere, so my other option is to send a dummy round with my 220 gr MP Mold flat points that I cast.

Pete

Why not run a 358 reamer in that barrel instead of lengthening the throat?
Because I am set on using the Contender frame, which can't handle the backthrust of 358, but can handle 45k psi from a 35 Rem sized case.

Does anyone bychance have access to a 358 Speer 250 gr Hot Cor spitzer who might mail me one or two? I'm happy to pay - and happy to keep the Fire updated with my experiments...
Have you thought about a .358 JDJ or some other rimmed version? I had some trouble with the rimless .35 Rem in a Contender years ago. Finding dies might be challenging currently.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/358-jdj-t-c-contender.259778/
I've certainly considered it, but I'm all set up for 35 Rem and ready to give it a try.

What kind of troubles did you have? Thanks.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Have you thought about a .358 JDJ or some other rimmed version? I had some trouble with the rimless .35 Rem in a Contender years ago. Finding dies might be challenging currently.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/358-jdj-t-c-contender.259778/

I assume that you’re handloading and you can load to the pressure desired. Since the 358 has a larger case it is more capable of reaching the power level you seek. Getting the 35 Rem that power range would, in my opinion, be over pressured.

I’m other words the 358 will reach a certain power lever with lower pressure than a 35 Remington.
I had some misfires IIRC something about the rimless case if the chamber was less than perfect?
Makes sense, thanks.
I've shot a lot of 358 Win and 35 Rem, no way you'll get 2300 fps with a 250 without being severely overpressure. I'd be surprised if you got much over 2000 fps. I get in the 2300s with my 358 Win. The best I ever saw was in JB's article where he got 2400 with 250s with TAC and a 22" barrel. In fact, I plugged it into Quickload and for you to get 2300 fps with LVR and a 20" barrel, you'd be at 76K pressure.
Thank you - that’s very helpful. It may be that my GRT software is just off with 35 Rem or LVR or something; I will need to work up and verify of course. But it has been very close in other real world experience with 35 Rem, so we will see. As I said, I’ll keep this group updated.
Even at 2100 fps it's showing me 55K pressure. Also, are you set on the Speer? If you're set on the 250s in the 35 Rem, I'd maybe consider the round noses. They'll open up easier at the lower velocities.
Not set in stone, just figure if I throat it for one I should be fine using the other.
Worth a look. I would not choose to invest in a .35 Rem Contender barrel.... It might always go bang or not.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367658
Yep, makes sense that if the chamber is a little sloppy, and dies set back the shoulder far enough, that it would drop too far down into the chamber to fire reliably. Not ideal but shouldn’t be a difficult fix if necessary - fire from then neck size or only partially set back. There have been a LOT of 35 Rem’s fired in Contenders for a lot of years.
Who are you having "make up" the barrel? Are they familiar with this fairly common problem?

This thread is bring back unpleasant memories from 40 something years ago for me. Fire formed cases still did not always go "bang" from my Contender. I switched to a .309 JDJ barrel and that rimmed cartridge worked fine in my gun.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Who are you having "make up" the barrel? Are they familiar with this fairly common problem?

This thread is bring back unpleasant memories from 40 something years ago for me. Fire formed cases still did not always go "bang" from my Contender. I switched to a .309 JDJ barrel and that rimmed cartridge worked fine in my gun.

I do appreciate your concern and understand the difficulty of the problems you had, but I'm not really interested in sidetracking the thread any further. If it doesn't work - and I've certainly had many projects fail! - I'll regroup and try something else. Respectfully.
Got my barrel in from SSK and it’s beautiful! Had it throated for the Speer seated out long. I’ll also use that long throat for paper patching heavy lead.

I ordered 24” the barrel tapered, and the complete rifle without scope is under 5 lbs. Recoil should be fun 😅

Will report back once I’ve had a chance to load and chrono…
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Had a few minutes at the bench and chrono this morning. Worked the big 250 Speer up to 2100 fps with LVR powder with no typical Contender pressure signs (rimfire pin marks, excessive case head expansion). It appears I have more room to go further, but how much I can’t say. Doing this seems safe in my gun but yours may be different!

I’m out of the handful Speers I had, and they’re now unavailable, but I might work next with my 220 cast bullets - I have the mold so I can’t run out of them! Hoping to get my hands on a 250 gr mold soon as well.
I have a couple Rem 760's in 35 Rem that get fed the Saeco #352 which is a 245gr round nose. It doesn't need a long throat. Saeco designed it with the 35 rem in mind and it's just under max oal. A charge of 38.0grs of imr-4895 sends them along at 2100fps. This is above standard data but nothing ridiculous. I'm happy at this performance level and won't be trying for more. This would be about maximum in a contender, and along way from 2300fps. This is the wrong cartridge if looking for 35 Winchester performance
© 24hourcampfire