Home
I've been on the waiting list for Ruger's new 19" SS/Laminate Marlin 1895 Big Loop lever-action and I finally got a call from Scheels to let me know the first one they've received finally showed up. When I got there, it turned out to be a 16" "Trapper" version not the original 1895 19" version. I was very happy about that because it would've been what I picked first anyway as my plan is to use it with a suppressor and my JM Marlin 1895GST (18.5") for everything else.

That being said, this is one handy little sucker and I'm very pleased to see that Ruger had the great judgement to skip the tradition iron sights in lieu of a nice ghost-ring sight. I may add some kind of optic down the road but, for now, I'm just going to shoot it as is because I love ghost-ring sights. Based on what I see so far, this should make a GREAT brush/back-country rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice rifle! Keep us posted how if shoots and functions.
Very nice!
Very nice! I wouldn't mind one myself
Sweet!

After spending a lot of time playing with them, I really like ghost-ring sights on rifles.
Very nice indeed! Please Keep us posted with a range report.. enjoy!....Hb
So they are suppressor height sights?
That’s a good licking rifle. Keep us posted on it.
Congrats. That's a keeper for sure.
Nice! That should be a handy and useful little howitzer!

Guy
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
So they are suppressor height sights?

No, I'm guessing I'll end up with a red-dot of some kind before it's all said and done. Am going to try it as is first to see how it handles with that 16" barrel though... ...
I have a well tuned Guide Gun. It currently has a 2x7 scope and it carries "pretty well". A Micro red dot would likely put it into the "carries great" zone.

I got mine years ago when I had access to down East NC really thick stuff bear cover. Bear Tooth Bullets sells a 425 grain bullet designed to get the most stopping power from the Marlin platform. H322 was the suggested powder. I worked up to the max loads and they were super accurate.... but no fun at all to shoot.

Light weight and medium level loads are also very accurate and great fun to shoot. Looking forward to your first range report.
I like it!, you could certainly sort some stuff out with that rifle.

I have/had one of the Remlins, until my son obsconded with it. I want to buy another, thinking the trapper may be the way to go. The ergo's on the that rifle just fit me.
So I was down out our local Scheels this past Thursday. No SS laminates, Trapper or SBL.

Finally got around to calling today to get on the list. They got two Trappers in on Friday, and sold them both yesterday Aargh

Oh well, at least I am on the list.
I have a Remain built Trapper. Shoots excellent. Inch at 100 3 shot groups with 325 gr. Leverrevolution.
Congrats OP
$?
I like it, hope to pick up a ruger made marlin this fall. That model currently has my interest.
Or you could put a fixed 4 power or some other
lower power scope on it and not limit it to
"brush gun " and other short range duty.
Those and the 444s and even a 30/30 will take
game out past a hundred yards contrary to
popular opinion

Good Luck
Have fun with it
Ne.....grizzlys getting to be a problem in Omaha ? (grin)
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Ne.....grizzlys getting to be a problem in Omaha ? (grin)

No worries there but we do have a small population of mountain lions down here now. I saw a juvenile while I was bowhunting south of the Flyin' J (thick cover and not far from the Platte river) about 30 years ago and would sure hate to run across a full sized one. Doubt I ever will but the 45-70 puts a big thump on a whitetail too so I should be good to go either way! 😉
I bought a remlin trapper couple years ago.
I'd like to have that ruger wood on mine. Wonder if they will offer it up for sale?
© 24hourcampfire