Home
Posted By: d500lnn Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22
I have a 21” fieldcraft in 6.5 creed. It’s a little longer LOP than I’d prefer and I have to mount the scope way back to compensate for the long LOP.

Would it hurt resale value if I cut to 13.5” lop?
Why would you not cut it back?
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I have a 21” fieldcraft in 6.5 creed. It’s a little longer LOP than I’d prefer and I have to mount the scope way back to compensate for the long LOP.

If it's done right, No it should not affect its resale.
Posted By: z1r Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

If it[s done right No it should not affect its resale.

I disagree, it will impact resale. But, what's more important; functionality and usefulness or forgoing a few dollars sometime in the future?
Posted By: hanco Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22
It will affect value!
The LOP on mine was entirely too long, I was going to do it but sent it down the road instead. Did not even remotely like the fit of that rifle.
I’d cut it and keep it unless there’s something you’d like better.
Posted By: SKane Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22

Sure, it could affect resale. But it could also be exactly what someone is looking for.

Either cut it and have a proper fit or cut bait on it. smile
Posted By: JPro Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22

Like others say, it might affect resale a bit, but not much if done right. If it keeps you from enjoying the rifle, then do it. You could always just go with a thinner pad and not cut the stock itself. If somebody wanted to go back to original LOP later, they could just replace the pad.
Posted By: pullit Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/27/22
it will effect the value, how much, I don't know
I'd pay less for it having a 14" LOP.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Selling it won't be an issue. The market will be as is for quite awhile.
I can use it the way it is with zero problems and I use it a fair amount. I would rather have the scope mounted further forward. For me it’s only for aesthetics. I will likely not worry about it at all.
I believe Joe Ducos is who you want to do the work. Ask Stick as he's had several cut down.
There was one of those random leftovers on gunbroker several months back that barrett had cut themselves and was selling. A 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 if my memory serves me correctly. I believe it sold for significantly less than the other gun they had listed. I'm sure the caliber prob had something to do with it as well though.
Posted By: OGB Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/28/22
It may reduce resale value but the at the same time increase it's value to you.

Many people buy rifles as investments. More power to em'.

I buy them to use them.

If making a modification leads me to use one more, its a win.

Not long ago I had my LH M70 rebored to 9.3x62. I plan on shortening the stock and fitting a better recoil pad as well.

Resale reduced for sure but now I can't wait to use it instead of letting it collect dust.
Posted By: las Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/28/22
I've a RU77 Tanger in .338WM that has been modified by epoxy bedding, Mag-Na-Port, Decelerator Pad, trigger tweaked, rear scope base notched as a sight, front sight added ( came naked- and Ruger irons are way too obtrusive), stick on rubber cheek pad added to better fit my long neck. Needs refinishing, too. It's a tool which is accurate and effective.

It's a tool for my use. I'm unlikely to sell it any time soon, but if I do, the buyer will pay my price - or it won't be sold. I almost never haggle. I have never understood how effectively modifying a mass-produced gun to make it more usable reduces the value.... but there are a lot of Karens out there who think funny..

YMMV. smile

Now, a high end fancy piece, a work of art, or a custom piece- none of which I would personally buy - may be a hearse of another collar.
If I'm buying a firearm to use, I modify it to fit me.

If I'm buying a firearm because its value is in its interest to collectors, I want it to be factory original or as close to factory original as it can be.
13 1/2” is standard and will fit more folks than 14” anyway.
In this market with no more being made and a desirable caliber? You won’t get a dime less than you would uncut.
Posted By: jpex59 Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/28/22
Does someone make an after market stock for it? Hogue, B&C? Then if you decide to sell put factory stock back on
Cut it!!
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

If it[s done right No it should not affect its resale.

I disagree, it will impact resale. But, what's more important; functionality and usefulness or forgoing a few dollars sometime in the future?
^^^That^^^

Given the cult status that they have right now cutting it is going to effect value to some degree but it’s not a “collectible” in the truest sense. They were made to be used as a hunting tool.

I hate to modify guns even if it makes it more user friendly. I don’t want to be the modern equivalent of the guy that drilled and tapped a pre war model 70. Then again those that did and moved into the world of then modern hunting optics probably didn’t regret it (but their kids probably did) lol.

If it were me and I were lukewarm about the rifle I’d sell it for peak dollars right now and buy something that I liked better. If you really like the rifle other than the LOP I’d cut it.
I’d have it cut down, no question.
Posted By: ldg397 Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/29/22
I would go with poster above and put thinner pad on it and leave stock as is. Your caliber is not hard recoiling so a thin pad would work fine. You could also try a scope with a more forgiving eye box.
How/where do you Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqks concoct such Retardation? Rest assured that what's stenciled on the barrel or scope,have less than ZERO fhuqking bearing on LOP. Hint.

They ship at 14.25" LOP and I'm unaware of another OEM Turnbolt of like affliction. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The subtle loss of 3/4"LOP,to connect dots,improves handling in non-lineal fashion and REALLY wakes the beloved platform up. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

THE Stock Doc(Joe Ducos) does exceptional work and ergo's are incredibly improved. Hint.

Just fhuqking do it.

Thank me later.

Hint...............
Especially if your short.........
Originally Posted by rickt300
Especially if your short.........

Talking rifles not peckers here.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/30/22
It will only hurt resale value if you are the one trying to sell it. If someone else is trying to sell it, it won't be reflected in the price whatsoever.
Posted By: drover Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/31/22

Maybe, so what if it does? If you bought the rifle to use then cut it and make it fit you. At the end of your life does the extra couple of hundred dollars really mean anything. If you bought it to resale and turn a profit then don't cut it.

drover
Do it...let your kids worry about any resale value
Posted By: mart Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/31/22
It’s your gun. Make it fit you. Screw the resale value. It’s worthless to you if it doesn’t fit.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Would it hurt resale value? - 05/31/22
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/barrett-fieldcraft-stock.158479/
13.5 is about standard on most guns anyway.
To answer the OP's question: Pretty much any variation from factory original will hurt resale value. This is especially true if it is a "bubba job." But, you won't know how much money you will lose until you sell it.

The real question is: Should you cut it down? The best option is to buy an after-market stock, and make any modifications to it. This allows you to make the gun fit you, while preserving the factory stock in original form.
Aww.. lil ADA guns.
If properly done, in my opinion, cutting to 13.5" will not affect value. Now, if you were to cut it to 12", it would decrease your potential market by about 95+%, or more. However, even in that scenario, if patient, you might still get the same money.

After having said all of that, I would cut it so that you had a proper fit for you. Any modification can negatively affect market value. The same modification may even increase the market value to many. Market value is more timing than anything else anyway. You just need the right guy to see your sale ad at the right time.
© 24hourcampfire