Home
Posted By: Rickshaw Ruger m77 stupid question - 06/30/22
I'm looking at getting a synthetic stock for my .300wm tanger. I just figured I'd need a long action, but I see there are magnum actions as well. I'd guess the .300 is a magnum action. Would someone smarter than me confirm such, so I don't buy the wrong stock? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: JPro Re: Ruger m77 stupid question - 06/30/22
I was thinking that the magnum-length actions were only on the Mark II variants (safari calibers)? I don't remember H&H length tangers. I could be wrong. I have two tangers, being a 7mmRM that came with a 24" standard contour barrel and a 338WM that came with a beefy magnum-contour 24" barrel. Perhaps that is the stock differentiation for the LA vs. Mag tangers, being which barrel contour you have.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Ruger m77 stupid question - 06/30/22
Thanks. That makes sense. This rifle definitely has a heavier barrel.
Is it for a tang safety model? Good news if there’s new manufacture happening.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Ruger m77 stupid question - 06/30/22
Tang safety guns only came in two lengths. The various short magnums, (not WSMs but the 458WM based cartridges) are on the long action.

The only one I’m aware of that had any different inleting aside from battle channel size was the 458s and they used a completely different oddball two piece recoil lug arrangement.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Ruger m77 stupid question - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by JPro
Perhaps that is the stock differentiation for the LA vs. Mag tangers, being which barrel contour you have.

^^^ This
© 24hourcampfire