Home
I'm getting the itch for another caliber I've never shot before. Been looking at some WSM calibers in my ancient Nosler & Hornady Manuals, but have no one locally to ask about their opinions, and thinking about a 270WSM or ? for a walk about shooter. Tried a Wby SS 7Rmg once upon a time and sold it 'cause it weighed a lot more than I was comfortable with. Most of my magnum experience was with an early M70 SS 300WinMg, that I never should have sold. Snooze Ya Looze.
Ron
Seen any ammo? Seen any brass?
I used a M70 in .325 WSM for years as my primary hunting rifle the only possible downside was only having 3 cartridges under the bolt.

I think a .270 or 7mm would be a delightful walking rifle.
Haven't looked , but Scheel's just north of Dallas is supposed to have some ammo not found elsewhere. I am about 150+ miles south of that store and never been in it.
Ron
Haven't looked , but Scheel's just north of Dallas is supposed to have some ammo not found elsewhere. I am about 150+ miles south of that store and never been in it.
Ron
Brass can be found, if you have the itch go for it. The 6.5 PRC is basically a WSM light, it’s popular enough brass and ammo should be able to be found.
I'd put it on hold until you are sure that brass availability in the future won't be a problem. Unless you can get .270 WSM brass easily in the future, I'd also not go 6.8 Western either as a matter of principle or any of the WSM-type cases.
I've got a 325WSM but the 300WSM would probably be more versatile. I had to make a new reloading case holder as a result of the fat cases.

I got it several years ago before the case shortage and have a bag of unused virgin brass for it. I'm still using range pickup brass that I found in a bin there - was almost 2 full boxes worth, and it was in 300WSM (converts easily to 325WSM). I keep abandoned brass either for use myself or future bartering, the later being the case for the found brass (I found that brass years before I bought the 325WSM).
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Back in my Golden Years aka Repping & Hunting as a guest with more than a few invites every year I got to see and shoot lots of different rifles as a guest. I wound up with a pair of rifles in my "Go Bag" that winnowed down to shooters that I could find ammo almost anywhere. So I understand the importance of having easy access to brass and ammo.

My 270's were the everyday workhorse, and were paired with a 300WMg, instead of a 30'06 or 7Rmg . Near the end of my Gun Bidnizz Years I started shooting a 7Rmg instead of the 300WMg with a 2nd shooter in something with lighter recoil like a 260 so's I could work with a host's wife or children.

Picked up an outstanding piece of wood Tikka T3 6.5x55 couple years ago and still have not hunted with it, but it does shoot factory ammo about like I expected it would...just too pretty to get dirty & wet. Swapped a Swede T3 composite that I could not tolerate recoil with my bum shoulder, after they'd it left full of bone spurs after a major surgery....VA finally fixed my shoulder 2+years ago.
Ron
7WSM, best of the bunch..
Originally Posted by Puddle

Not only that, but they have feeding issues sometimes. The shoulder angle is not conducive to great feeding. Plus they don't hold as much as a comparable standard cartridge. You are at a loss, but if are ok with it, then go ahead..
Originally Posted by Lou_270
I have had 270, 7mm, 300 wsm and still have 2 270 wsm. I mainly like the wsm in lighter rifles and to me recoil got up there with a 300 wsm in something like a Kimber Montana. Not looked for factory ammo in long while for any but never had issues finding brass for 270 wsm and 300 wsm. The 300 was the 6.5 creedmoor or close to it of a few years ago and the 270 wsm is decently popular but the 7mm wsm never caught on. In any case the 300 and 270 have enough rifles about that ammo availabiltiy should not be a problem at least when makers do their seasonal runs of next tier popular stuff. They are all excellent cartridges that are accurate and easy to load for in my experience. None of them are fast twist of the day but all possess considerably more horse power than say a 6.5 prc until get way out there. Not knocking the 6.5 prc it is just good bit less powder so takes longer to catch uo even with higher bc bullets. So, I prefer the 270 wsm for my purposes in that general power range and bullets I like to use for hunting. Not sure why Riflehunter doesn’t like the 6.8 W but that is another good option. Mine is sub half moa with 165 and 175 factory ammo. Brass and ammo easily available these days and rifles so long as you are ok with Win or Browning or a custom. Others not picked it up yet but it’s just out so expect others will

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Lou
Just say'n that we shouldn't support the new offerings (eg 6.8 Western) if the ammo companies don't keep supporting the old offerings (eg .270WSM).

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???
I bought a M70 WSM and had it converted to a 6.5SAUM 4S, then sold it... I regret that and may do the same again.

Buy the ammo and/or brass 1st and lots of it before buying a rifle.
Neighbor had a 270 wsm that jammed. I looked it over to help him fix it. This is what I found, slow cycling it:

Last round didn't have enough spring tension.

When you racked the bolt home slowly, the rebated rim was barely touching the bolt face.

As the bolt continued forward, the cartridge began its way up the feed ramp.

As the sharp cartridge shoulder hit the feed ramp, the angle was too steep and the bolt face would slip right over the rebated rim.

I stretched out the follower spring and all was well.

No thanks to a fat, short action cartridge with a rebated rim.
I have had all four of the WSM’s, still have a 270, 7mm and 325. All in Model 70’s, two Classics and one FN. never had a bobble feeding or anything else. I think they’re excellent cases and work great for me. I think CRF does help them and making sure the mag spring has enough push as well. Otherwise they work fine.
I wish you could buy the brass without the rebated rim. I'd gladly open up the bolt-face slightly...like I did for the 7mm Dakota cases.
I have a 270 wsm and love it. It’s a tikka t3 and is my primary hunting rifle. I’m sure that the feeding issues can be a very real problem with many other rifles out there but that has not been the case with the tikka. I believe it probably has something to do with the single stack detachable magazine. Mine feeds wonderfully from all of my magazines (both factory and aftermarket)

I haven’t found ammo or brass to be a problem to find. Federal gold medal match primers I prefer are another story!
I have a 300wsm and 2 325 wsm. I also have a 223 WSSM (that doesnt feed well). I have been able to come across a little brass now and then. I just got some 7mm wsm brass and 284 brass (dont have either rifle, but would keep the brass for the future). My brother has several 270 wsm and loves them. I would like to get a 7m wsm some time, but it doesnt do anything a good 7mm rem mag wont do.
The 7mm WSM as about the most versatile, especially considering the available .284 cal bullets available now...that being said, brass is still the hold up. I've owned WSM rifles in .270, 7mm, and .300, but finally got rid of my last one a few years ago. Oddly enough, I still have 4-5x boxes of 7mm WSM and at least 1-2x of the .300 WSM.
Originally Posted by Jason280
The 7mm WSM as about the most versatile, especially considering the available .284 cal bullets available now...that being said, brass is still the hold up. I've owned WSM rifles in .270, 7mm, and .300, but finally got rid of my last one a few years ago. Oddly enough, I still have 4-5x boxes of 7mm WSM and at least 1-2x of the .300 WSM.

Probably a lot of us in the same boat as you Jason. I have a full box of 7wsm ammo, and a few boxes of empty brass. Actually primed brass. Great stuff. I figured I'd take it to a gunshow and sell it one of these days. I still have a 300WSM, but that is the only rifle I own that is currently without a scope. Why? Because I never shoot it. Great cartridge, but I just don't shoot mine. I have a buddy that has 3 300WSM rifles and loves the cartridge. Out of all the WSM's I think that is the only one with its head above water..
I have a 270 WSM, love it. I load 140 Accubonds for it
I have owned a pile of bolt action rifles chambered for .300 WSM and i did notice that due to the 35 degree shoulder My Winchester mod 70 and Kimber Montana's fed these cartridges MUCH better than the push feed models like Remington 700's and Christensen Ridgelines...I dont own a .300 WSM at the moment as they are powder hawgs and powder has been mighty hard to come by these last few years....My 308's allow me a bunch more shooting out of a pound of powder 👍....Hb
I have probably owned 2 dozen WSM's. All sorts of manufacturers. Remington, Winchester, Browning, Tikka, Sako. Never a feeding problem with any of them. Did have a Sako 85 that would eject the cases into the scope but from what I hear that's somewhat common issue with a lot of Model 85's. Currently own 5. I guess you can say I like them...a lot. And I have found that are usually very accurate. I've had tons of brass for years so the shortage doesn't effect me. I'm sure if you ask around on a few of these forums you could find all the brass you need. I'd go for it. Good luck
Gimmicks!

I dabbled in the short fat craze briefly. With exception to my Grendel and maybe an ARC, I am sticking with standard and short action cartridges from here on out. Maybe one day a 375 H&H.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not only that, but they have feeding issues sometimes. The shoulder angle is not conducive to great feeding. Plus they don't hold as much as a comparable standard cartridge. You are at a loss, but if are ok with it, then go ahead..

All that for so little gain (or maybe even no gain). I can’t think of anywhere I’d go with a 300 WSM that I wouldn’t go with a 30-06.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

All that for so little gain (or maybe even no gain). I can’t think of anywhere I’d go with a 300 WSM that I wouldn’t go with a 30-06.
. Agreed 👍......Hb
Local Sportsmans Whorehouse had 30 boxes of newly minted Remington 300 WSM ammo on the shelf last night

the 2 box limit per day sucks, so tomorrow I'm having 3 of my gang members all get me some

got three Tikka T3 rifles that chop moose like a guillotine and never had any feeding issues

ADG make awesome 300 WSM brass and I picked up 200 pcs of the stuff a few months ago

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The wheel was round a LONG time ago. smile

Amen. And with 5 or even 6 in the magazine, you have more firepower with the good ol 06 vs. a short fat cartridge. I realize one does not need that many cartridges in the magazine for a normal hunt, but what if you are in bear country? I'd feel more at ease with 5 in the mag and one in the chamber vs. 3 in the magazine with a WSM. I'd also have that 30-06 loaded with 200gr Nosler partitions. To each his own I guess. I recently bought a 300 Remington SAUM and it compares readily to the 300 WSM in performance. I don't have anything against these cartridges, and have used and hunted with just about all of them. However, if wanting to go full on 300 magnum, I'd grab my pre 64 model 70 300WBY. That one holds 4 in the magazine and one in the pipe. It feeds wonderfully and is extremely accurate. Win win..
I got a Kimber 8400 Classic in .300 WSM some years ago and, for whatever reason, could never warm to the rifle or the cartridge. I’ve used it some, but not much. When I decided to thin the herd a bit it was the first candidate that came to mind.
Wow...where have I been all these years, with folks making WSM's a dependable upgrade in performance over the standard 270/30'06 etc calibers. I'm still shooting a 1980's era M70 Fwt 7x57, instead of a 7-08.

The Better Half maintains an antique furniture booth here in town, but with the current cash flow slowing down, has started an EBay bidnizz too. She finds stuff in auctions I would never dream of...and she knows nodda about my rifles except some of 'em are "pretty" and some are not.

What started this conversation about WSM's at the dinner table was when she brought home a box of WW 270WSM ammo out of an auction that she'd bought it for $5, not knowing I could not use them, but had remembered I had a 270 something and wanted me use the ammo, or try and sell it, but none of the local shops had any interest 'cause apparently nobody in town has a WSM shooter. Last year she came home with a new never used Perazzi O/U stock and made some crack about it being funny looking canoe paddle....as a joke.

Then in March I got sick with a bigtime case of Shingles that has busted my butt beyond belief with multiple Dr's & MRI XRay's, still can't walk dependably, couldn't drive with the 50%+ loss of use of my right leg for couple months , 2 dozen therapy sessions, and a heart scan next week. I'm still planning on hunting somewhere in the Texas State Park System Lottery this fall too.
Ron
I have a model 70 coyote I bought rite out of high school in 270 wsm. I put a trigger in it had it bedded, with 140 gr nosler ballistic tips it's a hammer on white tails. I have some 110 ttsx loaded for it and it becomes a laser beam and deer dont stand a chance and there is zero recoil. If I get the chance to buy a Montana in 270 wsm I am going to jump on it.
The only real downside is the short fat WSM cases often don't feed well in Remington actions. They generally feed well in Winchester actions, Tikkas, etc.

In terms of powder capacity most of them are about halfway between a 30-06 based case and a belted magnum case, and they perform accordingly. Most of the reason I use them is I run suppressors so I'm always trying to cut down on overall length.
I have 2 300 WSMs and 1 270 WSM, and used to have a 7mm WSM. I regret selling it, but I sold it to help pay for the wife’s college. Anyways. One 300 is a Tikka T3 Lite now loading issues, the other is Rem 700 that does experience issues from time to time. The 270 is a Win 70 and no issues from it. I hunt quite a bit with both of them, but never shot anything with the .300’s, 270 is a different story.

Yes, brass is hard to find at the moment and 270 WSM more so than 300 WSM. If you find it stock up. I will say this. I have quite a bit of Federal brass for the 270 WSM, primer pockets give after 3-4 firings, not so with the 300 WSM and Federal brass. I haven’t had this issue from Nosler and don’t have that many firings from the Remington brass I bought last year. Too bad it was a 2 bag limit.
FYI for anyone with a 7mm WSM. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102137620?pid=371969

I thought about buying and necking it down or up for the 270 and 300, everything I read said it was not with it. Now necking down 300 WSM to 270 or vise versa was a different story.
IIRC, the 7mm WSM is 1.702" length to the shoulder, vs 1.664 on the 270, 300 & 325 WSM iterations.

only time I've had problems with the WSM's is when I played Kimber Roulette with a wood stocked Classic, and when I tried to resize for a 6.5-300 WSM (6.5 Leopard) out 7WSM brass.

Being a low volume shooter, I've been able to lay in a lifetime supply for each.

I do believe the 325 WSM is my fav!

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by hanco

+1 on this. I shoot 140 Game Kings in mine too. Mine is a Model 70 Featherweight and it shoots and handles great.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

+1 on this. I shoot 140 Game Kings in mine too. Mine is a Model 70 Featherweight and it shoots and handles great.
What loads are you loading and velocities are you getting for the 270WSM please?
Originally Posted by rockdoc

What loads are you loading and velocities are you getting for the 270WSM please?

I'll chime in. I have a 270WSM and shoot 140 Accubonds in it. Using H4831, RL26, or Magpro I can get 3200 fps pretty easily out of my Tikka T3 Lite with 24 inch barrel.
Originally Posted by Hudge
FYI for anyone with a 7mm WSM. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102137620?pid=371969

I thought about buying and necking it down or up for the 270 and 300, everything I read said it was not with it. Now necking down 300 WSM to 270 or vise versa was a different story.

I came here to share this as well. I’m waiting for a 8400 Montana 7wsm to arrive at my FFL, but in the meantime I found brass, dies, and TTSX bullets all at Midway. The RCBS dies are on clearance at $21.
The 325 WSM was the only short fat that I seriously considered but never bought. Probably the only one that didn’t duplicate an existing cartridge. I pass on all of them.
Originally Posted by fortymile

I'll chime in. I have a 270WSM and shoot 140 Accubonds in it. Using H4831, RL26, or Magpro I can get 3200 fps pretty easily out of my Tikka T3 Lite with 24 inch barrel.

I’ve hit 3345 with Barnes 129 LRX and RL26, but accuracy is not there. My other loads are with H4350 and H4831SC and they average 3050-3105 fps at the muzzle. Going to try Magpro in it next as my .270 Win loves it.
I replaced a very reliable 30-06 with a win m70 stainless classic 300 WSM about 15 years ago. The hype convinced me it would kill elk better, deader, and quicker. After 2elk seasons and 2 dead elk I discovered the WSM didn’t make a difference for me, so down the road it went. I haven’t hand loaded in years, but in today’s climate regarding factory ammo and brass shortages, I wouldn’t even consider any of the WSMs unless I had a stockpile of brass and powder. Ymmv
^^^^ This ^^^^
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I replaced a very reliable 30-06 with a win m70 stainless classic 300 WSM about 15 years ago. The hype convinced me it would kill elk better, deader, and quicker. After 2elk seasons and 2 dead elk I discovered the WSM didn’t make a difference for me, so down the road it went. I haven’t hand loaded in years, but in today’s climate regarding factory ammo and brass shortages, I wouldn’t even consider any of the WSMs unless I had a stockpile of brass and powder. Ymmv

Good post hotsoup. I think a lot of us realized that after using them. That's the way we learn though. One of the reasons I have used many different cartridges on elk. One thing I have seen when out and about looking for rifles is the WSM's are generally less expensive than rifles chambered for standard cartridges. Last year I almost bought a 325 WSM like new Winchester model 70 extreme weather. It was $600.00. I thought about that rifle a few times, but then said, no I don't need a weird 325 WSM. Went back a month later and the rifle was still there. Even though it was chambered for the 325, I didn't expect to see it still there after a month on the rack, because the price was pretty good. That was at a Cabela's too, so there were plenty of people looking at it. Not a mom and pop shop way out in the country. That was an eye opener.
I don’t love the 325 but man mine is nice and very accurate so far. Not sure I could’ve passed the EW for 600. I gave about the same for the Sporter I got from CDNN, just to kick around a little. Through a Burris FFII on top and I’ll be damned if it isn’t a pretty serviceable rifle.
Originally Posted by beretzs
I don’t love the 325 but man mine is nice and very accurate so far. Not sure I could’ve passed the EW for 600. I gave about the same for the Sporter I got from CDNN, just to kick around a little. Through a Burris FFII on top and I’ll be damned if it isn’t a pretty serviceable rifle.

Very serviceable I'm sure. I don't have anything against the 325. At the time I had a 300wsm and 7wsm. I load for an 8mm mauser, but don't keep many 8mm bullets on hand. I'm sure it smashes elk. Now I'm thinking I should have bought it because at that price, it was a great deal. Around the same time a buddy and I were at a shop at the coast and saw a 308 EW on clearance for $800.. It was new, but 12 years old. Those coastal guys are more into shooting fast 7mm's and 300/338 RUM's... You know I find great deals man. Here's one I saw across a crowded room at a small town gunshow:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2008 limited edition 300WSM. Paid $600 for it, damn sure couldn't pass up that deal. It had exceptional wood on it. This is the one I threw into a mcmillan and tried to turn it into a faux EW:
.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Very nice wood on that one. I know around 08 the wood was out of control.

I wouldn’t ever trade a 300 for 325 but for me I have a SG 300 RUM and H&H so the WSM is my least wanted.

Sierras 220’s might be real good in the 325 when I get back around to it.

There is a gain if not you need to do a better job of hand loading cartridges.

Lou

That's what I don't get. Dang ammo manufactures and rifle manufactures wanting to bring out new schidt, and not support what they already have. That screws us in the end. They don't want to produce brass for cartridges like the 7wms and 270wsm, but bring out a new cartridge like the 6.8 western???

This is nothing more than “what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

If people were still buying that junk, they would keep producing it. Short magnums were an answer to a question that should never been asked.

My Tikka apparently has a tight chamber as 66g of RL26 (well under book max) was as high as I could go. It shoots lights out with velocity just shy of 3200fps.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Lou

This is nothing more than “what came first, the chicken or the egg?”

If people were still buying that junk, they would keep producing it. Short magnums were an answer to a question that should never been asked.

I agree shrap. One thing about us loonies is we want to try different things out there, so manufactures take advantage of that. I was at the range the other day and a young guy (in his early 20's) showed up with a brand new 6.8 westerner. He said its a new offering from Winchester that is supposed to smoke everything else out there. It was a new Winchester XPR rifle. I did not like the looks of the rifle, but the kid was excited about it. All I said was cool, how does it shoot? After he was there for a while he had some targets where groups were ranging from about 2" to 4" center to center. He said it will work "just fine for deer hunting", still seemingly excited about the new rifle and cartridge. He even asked if I wanted to shoot it. I said, "no that is alright, thanks though". What still bothers me about manufactures is they spend more time trying to develop new cartridges and not focus on what they already have. In a component shortage time like now, they are doing nothing but screwing us. So, its a double edged sword. They are getting new shooters interested in something, but at a cost.. I used the WSM for hunting, but don't really care for it in that application. In an earlier post I said "feeding issues", but its more than that.
The Kimber 7 Whizzum Montucky,is the best Killing Rifle to have ever crossed the Factory Shelf. Hint.

It blends RPM/throat geometry/COAL like no other and has the capacity to meld same,like no other. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'.

Hint................
You get 250-400fps more with 300wsm vs 30/06 and within 50fps of 300wm with a lot less powder. Do you need it? Probably not for 90% of hunting but you can also kill most anything that walks with 308 inside 300yds.

I think 300wsm is a great all around cartridge...load 150s at moderate levels for deer and 180 ABs at 3000fps for anything bigger. Very easy cartridge to hand load and recoil is manageable in a 7lb rifle.
I have had at least a bakers dozen WSM’s - 270, 7mm & 300 in Winchesters (CRF and CRPF actions) and Kimbers. I still have a few in 270 and 7mm, mostly Montanas (along with a few thousand pcs of brass). None have had any feeding issues. All are/were accurate. All have performed great on game (not like the bullet knows what case it came out of…). I personally prefer them to standard long action cartridges.
Ladies,

Bullets mean wayyyyyyy more than headstamps...you 'lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!

Hint..................
They are entertaining........

6.5-300 WSM (6.5 Leopard)

270 WSM

7mm WSM

300 WSM

and my favorite.......

the 325 WSM

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Jpterry
You get 250-400fps more with 300wsm vs 30/06 and within 50fps of 300wm with a lot less powder. Do you need it? Probably not for 90% of hunting but you can also kill most anything that walks with 308 inside 300yds.

I think 300wsm is a great all around cartridge...load 150s at moderate levels for deer and 180 ABs at 3000fps for anything bigger. Very easy cartridge to hand load and recoil is manageable in a 7lb rifle.

Bull schidt, you aren't going to get "400 fps" over a 30-06. You are living in a fantasy world.

Bull schidt, you aren't going to get "400 fps" over a 30-06. You are living in a fantasy world.

Well uh,,,,, hornady data 06 with a 180gr bullet 2750. Hornady data 300 wsm with a 180gr bullet 3100 fps. So not quite 400 hundo (prs talk) but 3 fifty close enough..
Pros: Winchester made LH actioned M70 Featherweight classics in WSM. I always drooled over M70 Featherweight classic stocks, but could never find one in a LH action. I found a NIB lefty in 7mm WSM and snatched it up. No problems with ammo since I bought 150 brass cases way back when. It's accurate enough, light enough, quite pretty. Recoil a piece of cake.

Cons: Not many. It doesn't feed or extract as well as long actions like a 270 or 7mm Rem Mag. It doesn't offer any noticeable ballistic advantage that I can see over a 270 or 7mm Rem Mag, at least with the non-lead ammo that I have to shoot.

I plan on taking it on a Cow Elk hunt this year. It's supposed to be a physically difficult hunt so I'll take advantage of it's lightness.
I have 3 WSM calibers 270WSM, 7mmWSM, 300WSM ... I really like all 3 calibers ... Plus all 3 rifles are Browning X Bolt Stalkers The 270 is a tack driver with 130grain NBT... The 7mm prefer the 140grain NBT and the 300 prefer 150NBT With finding reloading supplies you will be on a continue search...It would be a hard decision if I had to pick just one caliber... But I think finding your reloading supply will be more available for the 300WSM...
Kimber Montana in .300 WSM

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

124 gn Hammer Hunter at 3550 fps

Originally Posted by 79S

Well uh,,,,, hornady data 06 with a 180gr bullet 2750. Hornady data 300 wsm with a 180gr bullet 3100 fps. So not quite 400 hundo (prs talk) but 3 fifty close enough..

The fastest 30-06 ammo I could find. Hornady light magnum 180gr BTSP:

LIGHT / HEAVY MAGNUM AMMUNITION - Box of 20

Stock No. 10389:
Bullet Caliber: .30-06 Spring.
Bullet Wt. Grs.: 180
Bullet Style: BTSP
Muzzle Vel. (F.P.S.): 2,900
Muzzle Energy (Ft.-lbs.): 3,361

A buddy of mine still has 10 boxes of the schidt and also some of the Federal High energy. Now, maybe post a link of that smoking hot 300wsm ammo you found..
Originally Posted by 79S

The fastest 30-06 ammo I could find. Hornady light magnum 180gr BTSP:

LIGHT / HEAVY MAGNUM AMMUNITION - Box of 20

Stock No. 10389:
Bullet Caliber: .30-06 Spring.
Bullet Wt. Grs.: 180
Bullet Style: BTSP
Muzzle Vel. (F.P.S.): 2,900
Muzzle Energy (Ft.-lbs.): 3,361

A buddy of mine still has 10 boxes of the schidt and also some of the Federal High energy. Now, maybe post a link of that smoking hot 300wsm ammo you found..

Lol... nice job scouring the internet for the "hottest" 30/06 ever made. I gave a RANGE of 250-400fps...sorry it got your panties all bunched up. How about I change my post to 200-350fps faster... then you can sleep better in our fantasy world.

I'm not going to spend hours searching for hottest 30/06 vs 300wsm loads. I handload 165ttsx out of both and use Barnes PUBLISHED load data...max load for 30/06 is 2859fps with RL19 and max load for 300wsm is 3210fps with RL17....so 351fps faster.

I'm sure I could find a bullet/powder combo to prove out a 400fps difference but you're the only one that seems to care.

Now I'll go back to my bullchit fantasy world where the 300wsm is 351fps faster than the 06... not my crazy estimate of 250-400fps...whatever.
Originally Posted by GRF
I used a M70 in .325 WSM for years as my primary hunting rifle the only possible downside was only having 3 cartridges under the bolt.

I think a .270 or 7mm would be a delightful walking rifle.

I had the .270 wsm, was sweet to shoot, when my hunt days were over, sold it
WSM's. They are short and fat. If that is what you like; there you go. My 308 Norma does beat my 30/06 by 300 fps, with 180's. I suppose the
"magic" WSM will do similarly; especially if loaded to higher pressures. GD
PS. As far as real "cons" are concerned, feeding can be an issue but usually is not. Breech thrust is a real concern in some actions. Chamber wall thickness can be an issue as well, in some rifles.
DumbDog,

Your version of "experience",is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Only Fhuqktards fixate headstamps and you needn't "prove" same perpetually,despite it being the BEST you can "do". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

If only for more oblivious humor,cite the particulars of said pieces of fhuqking schit and for belly laughs,pictures of same! Don't "forget" receiver Make/Model,stock,mounting system,optic,barrel RPM/throat and the specific 180gr projectile. Don't worry about your Bitch Thrust. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Originally Posted by greydog
WSM's. They are short and fat.

...... so is the common variety Alaskan Garden Gnome. smile
Dip Stick,
I sometimes wonder just how much intellect might be concealed behind that dumpy exterior or obscured by that boorish personality. Probably not much, I guess.
Still you have managed to come to the realization that a bullet doesn't care what case it came from and that's an important step. It seems like you understand the case is nothing but a gasket and a holder for propellent and bullet. Nonetheless, the rifle as a system is better served by some cartridges than others and I think you get that too. Your fixation on BC and the effect on wind drift is understandable but kind of misplaced for the average hunting situation. If one doesn't care to shoot game at much past four hundred yards, he can deal with wind drift.
The downsides of the WSM are mostly related to it's shape and girth (sorry about that). The breech thrust issue is mostly not a big deal unless the action is marginal but the chamber wall thickness has been a real problem in some cases. The minimum body taper design, touted by many, can be problematic for gunsmiths chambering rifles for these cartridges.
Misshapen chambers were a problem on the early WSM Winchester rifles but Winchester addressed that. I can explain further if you like but I don't want to waste my time if you have trouble understanding. Keep on with the entertainment but let's see some new material. GD
Neighbor of mine has a 300wsm he’s one of those who hasn’t been out much weed eats for a living and gets a check for his mental capacity has a hell of a business his only problem is I pass him at 6:30 in the morning he’s taking a break weed eating a yard and he’s drinking a 40 oz cobra he brought his rig up to my house to sight in last fall cause he couldn’t figure it out🙄🤔tasco scope mounted in the x formation 🙄I got him straight but good lawd that thing whooped my shoulder left him 3 rounds I’ve yet to here a hunting report 🙄
Bless your little heart! LOL
DumbDog,

Your version of "experience",is fhuqking HILARIOUS...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Only Fhuqktards fixate headstamps and you needn't "prove" same perpetually,despite it being the BEST you can "do". Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

If only for more oblivious humor,cite the particulars of said pieces of fhuqking schit and for belly laughs,pictures of same! Don't "forget" receiver Make/Model,stock,mounting system,optic,barrel RPM/throat and the specific 180gr projectile. Don't worry about your Bitch Thrust. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Same here! Mine is a Winchester model 70 Classic stainless and all I've ever done is put it in a B&C stock topped with a Nikon Monarch 3x9 scope. Every animal that I've pulled the trigger on with it died most emphatically, including a good sized bull Elk in 1999. Launch a Nosler Accubond over a charge of H4831sc and it's my solid 400 yard and under do all rifle.

Still running factory tube, if it needs rebarreling someday, will stay with the caliber as I have about 500 pcs of brass, some still new win the bag, and just have them spin the rate a little faster to work with heavy bullets.
Originally Posted by sakoron
I'm getting the itch for another caliber I've never shot before. Been looking at some WSM calibers in my ancient Nosler & Hornady Manuals, but have no one locally to ask about their opinions, and thinking about a 270WSM or ? for a walk about shooter. Tried a Wby SS 7Rmg once upon a time and sold it 'cause it weighed a lot more than I was comfortable with. Most of my magnum experience was with an early M70 SS 300WinMg, that I never should have sold. Snooze Ya Looze.
Ron

Love them. Them being (2) 7 WSM’s; I also had a couple .325’s at one point. Also love my 6.5 SAUM.

I like the performance in a short action. I like the efficiency. And I’ve seen truly excellent accuracy from the 7 WSM I built and the 6.5 SAUM I built.

Downsides are, I guess, rounds in the belly. If a guy is used to having say 5 + 1 of say 30-06 or whatever, having 3 + 1 might bug them. Hasn’t been a problem for me. YMMV.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by sakoron
Ron

Love them. Them being (2) 7 WSM’s; I also had a couple .325’s at one point. Also love my 6.5 SAUM.

I like the performance in a short action. I like the efficiency. And I’ve seen truly excellent accuracy from the 7 WSM I built and the 6.5 SAUM I built.

Downsides are, I guess, rounds in the belly. If a guy is used to having say 5 + 1 of say 30-06 or whatever, having 3 + 1 might bug them. Hasn’t been a problem for me. YMMV.
Voting for Obama or Biden makes what you think irrelevant.
© 24hourcampfire