Home
Posted By: elkcountry Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/16/22
Just purchased a new Rem. 700 30-06 barrel from a member of the fire. Now I need to find a gunsmith to swap barrels for me. Any suggestions who can do the job for me in Northern CO? Not in a huge hurry but would like to have it done relatively soon so I can get loads worked up for my hunting buddy before antelope season in October.

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Elk Country
Posted By: beretzs Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/16/22
Kevin Weaver is in Colorado who does good work. I think he’s towards the east though.
Karl Casebeer, living springs gunsmith Strasburg, CO. Pete Hubbard, homeland gunsmith Bennett, CO
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/16/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Pete Hubbard, homeland gunsmith Bennett, CO

Have you used Pete? I had him do some stock and bedding work for me before he moved, very satisfied with his work. He used to live 20 minutes from me near La Junta.

I was happy to find him when I moved here in 2014, thinking he'd be great for doing my small work. I was going to have him rebarrel a rifle, but when I talked to him he was moving to Bennett. He wanted to be closer to grandkids, he had a very nice shop when I visited.
still does......
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Anybody know a good smith between Denver and Cheyenne?
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/17/22
N CO, S WY Gunsmiths.

Swaping out factory barrels should be a simple job for most smiths. Open your web browser and find the one closest to you and make a phone call. If they can't do your work in a timely manner move on to the next.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/17/22
Years ago, small job such as the OPs were taken on by some of the students at Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood. Might be worth looking into.
My favorite Colorado gunsmith is Dan Dowling, have not talked with him since 2018 but think he is still around. Greg Tannel of Gretanrifles is also excellent
Originally Posted by boatanchor
My favorite Colorado gunsmith is Dan Dowling, have not talked with him since 2018 but think he is still around. Greg Tannel of Gretanrifles is also excellent
As of 2 weeks ago Gretan wasn't taking on any new work according to their website.
Posted By: colodog Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/17/22
Dave Sullivan at WestWind rifles in Erie knows his stuff!
Posted By: JimR Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/18/22
I second the referral of Dave Sullivan in Erie. He’s done a lot of work for me and it’s all been well done, completed by the date promised and at a competitive price.
Posted By: 65Jeffrey Re: Need a gunsmith in N. CO - 07/18/22
NOBODY in Cheyenne!!!
I go to SulphurGulch in Parker, Eron is fantastic especially with the oddball stuff (Sharps and Rolling Blocks) but he can build your showgun or competition rifle as well.
The Erie reference is much appreciated
© 24hourcampfire