Home
Posted By: limabean Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
Thoughts on a 284 win? I ran across a weatherby vanguard that had a custom 284 win barrel with a nice leupold scope on it today. I’m a reloader so it peaked my interest. Is it worth trying out?
Headstamp alone,doesn't mean much. Twist rate? Long action or short action? It's ALL about the bullet and very fhuqking 284 Win's are done anything close to right,regarding COAL or RPM. Hint.

The VG's are the best Weatherby's going,by light years and that swoons some. I'd rather have a 7-08 SALAMI 8" RPM,but mainly because I fhuqking shoot it all. The MacaMillion OEM handle don't hurt. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass the 180's and hold The Fluff. Hint................
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Had one built several years ago. Major regret doing so on a short action.
Posted By: limabean Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
I will have to check if it’s long or short action.
Posted By: limabean Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
Pardon my ignorance but what is a 7-08 salami?
Going AICS DBM and losing binders do help. All 162's at 2.815" and binderless 700/Seven COAL here. 7-08 SALAMI guise,7-08 AI,ShamWow,284 Win and Whizzum. Hint.

In an undoubtedly S/A VG,pass the Alpha brass and 7-08 Salami with 180's. Hint................
Posted By: Raferman Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Going AICS DBM and losing binders do help. All 162's at 2.815" and binderless 700/Seven COAL here. 7-08 SALAMI guise,7-08 AI,ShamWow,284 Win and Whizzum. Hint.

In an undoubtedly S/A VG,pass the Alpha brass and 7-08 Salami with 180's. Hint................
Quit speaking in hieroglyphs man and reach a broader audience.

ShamWow = SAUM?
I would like a bolt action in .284 Win, but NULA is the only manufacturer making it that I know of.

Article from 2008

https://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

Ron Spomer has done videos on it and John Barsness did an article a few months ago if memory serves with more hunting related rifles.
Reaferlady,

You are sucking the wrong ass,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Alpha 308 LRP positive headspace magfed 7-08 SALAMI 162 .670 BC magfed binderless Smooches here,in true Seven Style. Pass the Whizzum mags,for arranging no rattle latchtitude. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Hardly "daunting" to toss a 8" RPM 284 Win spout on a Teeker,to mechanically connect dots. Hint.

I'll take the Fieldcraft's S/S receiver,over the NULA. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Pretty tough to fhuqk up a 8" RPM 280 SALAMI on a 700 and the you reap .838 BC magfed smooches,rather easily,ala Lapooey falss shoulders. Hint.

I've a few. Hint...................
Another thing to keep in mind,with any/all things 284 Win(I've only got multiples in 6-284,25-284 and 284 Win),is that besides the COAL hit,you always lose at least (1) round of mag capacity to boot. That whether ADL,BDL or DBM. Hint................
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
I have a 99 in 284, load 120 Barnes for it. It does well where I hunt. I have a junkie Leupold on it. It’s a wonder I can hit anything with it.
dumbco,

There is ZERO need for you to quantify obliviously,that schit doesn't get ANY fhuqking funnier,than a Texan trying to "talk" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Belgian Browning 7-08 receiver BLR,3rd from bottom right and it's sipping .670 BC's at 2600fps from it's 20" spout. Supersonic to 1250yds+ and the reticle alone,will get it to the 1050yd line,in Today's atmosphere. 1000 ft lbs only to the 750yd line. Google as you MUST. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Posted By: Judman Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
Haha oh lady bushelor!!! Lmfao
I guess I’m laughing more that, liar LarryO could be huntin alpine bucks right now, but she’s still trying to talk folks into rifles!! Haha wtf
You ladies keep citing your copious WELL founded insecurities and I'll happily fuel 'em,as you "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Be sure to quantify just how many times a day you Whining Kchunts think about me and the "typical" duration of same. If only for context. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

If only in "fairness",Venison Season doesn't open until this coming Sunday. Forecast is purty mean though! Hint.

Those steaming temps,play hell with Blued Steel. Hint.

Fortunately for you Whining Kchunts,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you gals can "afford" to "contribute". Simply pardon wares that exist,if only to your chagrin. Hint.

Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
Damn. Wifey calls me dumbco when I fuuuck up. I like the .358 a lot also, 180 Barnes knocks over piggies well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Congrats on being the dumbest of fuucks, again!! 👍👍

Fuucking laughing…………………………………
Originally Posted by limabean
Thoughts on a 284 win? I ran across a weatherby vanguard that had a custom 284 win barrel with a nice leupold scope on it today. I’m a reloader so it peaked my interest. Is it worth trying out?

Is the 284 WIN worth trying out?

If having a rifle chambered in 284 WIN is an itch that you want to scratch, the rifle's condition is in sync with the price, and you're a reloader, I'd say go for it.

If I was looking at that rifle I'd want to cycle some cartridges through the action before I bought it to insure that it would feed smoothly and didn't need to have the feed rails modified. If it is a short action Vanguard, I'd be aware that the 284's COAL may limit the length/weight of bullets that will fit into and feed through the magazine. I have some short action V2s, but have never bothered to measure the inside length of the magazine.
Laying all the drooling and drivel above aside, the 284 Win is a very good and cool
round. Best in mauser or '06 length action. 120 BT a real deer sized animal thumper and
the 160NP for elk, etc.
You do not see many owners selling theirs for a reason.
Just my 2 cents.
I've played with one a bit. It's a damn fine cartridge, but it's commercially dead. Supply chain issues are only going to get worse and it's going to be hell on finding components. Winchester only makes a run every several years, and with them being behind on just about everything I wouldn't look for help from the parent company anytime soon. If I were to purchase one, it would be on the premise that it could not be my primary do everything rifle.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
if standard 120-140 grain bullets will kill what you hunt without having the latest high bc bullets get it if it feeds fine
long actions are great but i would do a 280 before a 284 on it ...that kinda defeats the purpose in my mind
several people are making 284 brass currently so waiting on winchester to make a run should be a non issue
if you ask for opinions you will surely get them on the campfire
The Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude of The Gallery,never disappoints,in it's Magnificent Grandeur and only because you ladies are doing your BEST...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You gals' uncanny "understanding" of Mechanics,is just simply fhuqking HILARIOUS! Be sure to read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

If only to give you CLUELESS Kchunts another chance. Bullets matter wayyyyyyyyy more than headstamps. Hint.

As an availability aside. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
It is Shamu or ShamWow? (or both?) Asking for a friend.
It's your Imagination,simply Pretend with it in the manner which satiates you most,as you desperately clamor to be associated. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Laying all the drooling and drivel above aside, the 284 Win is a very good and cool
round. Best in mauser or '06 length action. 120 BT a real deer sized animal thumper and
the 160NP for elk, etc.
You do not see many owners selling theirs for a reason.
Just my 2 cents.

I've owned quite a few 284s and 284 based wildcats, still have 16 of them around somewhere. The 55mm/2.17" case length seems push the magazine limits in most short actions and if going with a long action, except for the cool factor, why not just do a 270 or 280? Nobody thinks of the 6.5x55 as being a short action cartridge, while the 284 is seldom thought of as anything but a short action cartridge.

Winchester introduced the 284 in their Models 88 and 100 to give owners of those rifles a cartridge with performance similar to the 270. It accomplished that goal, but if the number of those rifles sold is any indication, buyers overwhelmingly preferred to buy those rifles chambered in 243 and 308.

For the guy who doesn't reload, the Winchester/Olin 150 grain PP 284 factory load has approximately the same performance specs as their 150 grain PP 308 factory load, making a 284 an expensive to own, expensive to feed, rifle that does what the less expensive to feed and exponentially more common 308 will do equally well. But it does have an undeniable cool factor.
260gal,

All you had to say was "ditto",rather than extoll your Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude ala GoogleFu...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now you can say you've "seen" one,which makes this a VERY Big Day for you,though I'm not ging to tell you what it is. Hint.

P.S. do not "forget" about your Imaginary Pretend Ignore.

Hint.

Is there a consensus explanation of why the 284 failed commercially? (I know tons of rounds come and go, just wondering if there's something specific that doomed it.)
It was/is a series of mechanical compromises,that kept the cart in front of the horse. There was never a platform REALLY suited towards it and less same,things reliably falter. Had it been an '06 length case,it would have stolen The Show. Hint...............
It was/is a series of mechanical compromises,that kept the cart in front of the horse. There was never a platform REALLY suited towards it and less same,things reliably falter. Had it been an '06 length case,it would have stolen The Show. Hint...............
Thanks.
Posted By: gene270 Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
yeah Winchester wouldnt put it in there model 70 platform for any length of time only the 100 and 88
Posted By: Joe Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/19/22
The .284 holds a special place for me. That was my first deer rifle I purchased way back in 1966 or '67. I handloaded for it using IMR-4350 or H-4831 and 130-150 grain bullets. Killed my first 2 deer with it at the longest range I've ever had to shoot. Yeah it's special but, now I'm using a 7mm08 or preferably a 7mm Mauser, which are a little more special.
NYrifleman has a 284 ultralight custom in the classifieds.
I've got a few. Here's some Savages in 284. As much as they "suck" they sure kill the crap out of blacktails and bears. Absolutely love mine.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EkszG0.jpg?1[/img]

Have long done/seen same with 223/223AI,amongst a myriad of other chamberings. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: limabean Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22
Nice pictures
Posted By: jwall Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22
Any Love for .284 Win ?

Yes I like mine and it works. It's built on a 98 action, (06 action length), 21" bll,

This guy had his nose to the ground trailing 1 of 2 Does ahead of him about 25 yds.
I didn't know his L antler was broken.

This guy was walking straight away from me and I shot him in the back of the neck. The bullet ranged
up and cracked his skull. His L antler dangled. He's posed to see normal rack.

I'm shooting Hornady 139 BTSP @ 3000 fps. (kinda like 270 W and 140s)

Jerry smile grin
200yds looking at me,ala 120gr ShamWow. Hint.

20yds 223AI 62. Hint.

Inside 10yds broadside Cranium,7-08 and 162. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.................
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've got a few. Here's some Savages in 284. As much as they "suck" they sure kill the crap out of blacktails and bears. Absolutely love mine.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EkszG0.jpg?1[/img]

Awesome bunch of Bucks and Bears! Great 99's as well.
Originally Posted by limabean
Buy it and go forth and kill critters with it!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22

i never thought about this thought of it being the case length of a 30-06 and your very right . i own 2 - 6mm-284`s they shoot great and are fast but if that case was the length of a 30-06 that would have made that 6mm bullet really fast and wild !
Posted By: beretzs Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by pete53

i never thought about this thought of it being the case length of a 30-06 and your very right . i own 2 - 6mm-284`s they shoot great and are fast but if that case was the length of a 30-06 that would have made that 6mm bullet really fast and wild !

I think WBY did it with their new 6.5 RPM. It's a stretched 284 Win sized case. I think they hamstrung it with the silly 3.4" MK5 6 lug though.
Had the 284 Win simply been 308 length,it would have taken off. Hint.

Weatherby's BEST efforts,have always only had (2) lugs. Hint................
Posted By: texken Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/20/22
dumbco,

There is ZERO need for you to quantify obliviously,that schit doesn't get ANY fhuqking funnier,than a Texan trying to "talk" rifles...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Belgian Browning 7-08 receiver BLR,3rd from bottom right and it's sipping .670 BC's at 2600fps from it's 20" spout. Supersonic to 1250yds+ and the reticle alone,will get it to the 1050yd line,in Today's atmosphere. 1000 ft lbs only to the 750yd line. Google as you MUST. Hint.

I resemble that
I don't understand, what is with "Hint."?
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/21/22
Originally Posted by grouseman

You are in a heap of trouble now!
Posted By: blairvt Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/21/22
I have the idiot blocked, You would be better off doing the same.
Clair,

Your Hurt Feelers Reporting is fhuqking AWESOME,you Estrogen fueled CLUELESS Kchunt. Hint.

Hint.

Posted By: Teeder Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/21/22

Take the hint and learn something or don't.
Sometimes deciphering what stick says is tough, but in the end he's done way more shooting with much more equipment than I'll ever be able to. So, I sit quietly and listen when he's talking about something I'm interested in. There are nuggets of gold in there if you know how to pan it out.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/21/22
Originally Posted by Teeder

Sometimes deciphering what stick says is tough, but in the end he's done way more shooting with much more equipment than I'll ever be able to. So, I sit quietly and listen when he's talking about something I'm interested in. There are nuggets of gold in there if you know how to pan it out.

Yep
That may be, but all the swearing and constant personal attacks do make what might be a worthwhile post very off-putting.
Posted By: hanco Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
Stick don’t mean nuthing, he tryin to get a rise out of you boys.
Posted By: OGB Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22

Yep
I've brought this up in the past but someone needs to publish a "Stick to English" Dictionary. I'm getting better at following along but still don't know what "90gr smooches" are. I'm given to believe that they are 90gr .224 bullets that are loaded to kiss the lands but I wouldn't put my hand on a Bible over it.
Originally Posted by OGB

Yep
I've brought this up in the past but someone needs to publish a "Stick to English" Dictionary. I'm getting better at following along but still don't know what "90gr smooches" are. I'm given to believe that they are 90gr .224 bullets that are loaded to kiss the lands but I wouldn't put my hand on a Bible over it.

I think you are correct
Grosslady,

You could simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes,apply same and finally learn something in your "life"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your being too fhuqking STUPID,to even "do" that "much". Hint.

Posted By: Teeder Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
That may be, but all the swearing and constant personal attacks do make what might be a worthwhile post very off-putting.

Like I said.

"There are nuggets of gold in there if you know how to pan it out."

I don't care for the swearing and such, myself, but I gloss over that stuff and learn when it's applicable to what I'm interested in.
Some guys just have to butt heads with him and then get their shorts in a bind when he gets going.

""Stick to English" Dictionary"

If someone puts this together it should be a sticky at the top. laugh

Hint???
Posted By: Teeder Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
Grosslady,

You could simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes,apply same and finally learn something in your "life"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your being too fhuqking STUPID,to even "do" that "much". Hint.

... Or, you could do that! laugh grin
Posted By: Tsavo Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
I have always found Big Sticks posts to be highly entertaining. He freely contributes a lot of solid knowledge and accurate information learned from experience. I expect he has forgotten more about firearms, DuPont and Galena, and shooting then most of us will ever know. Pay attention and you might just learn something.
Mechanically,a more forgiving chambering. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.................
Posted By: pete53 Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by Tsavo
I have always found Big Sticks posts to be highly entertaining. He freely contributes a lot of solid knowledge and accurate information learned from experience. I expect he has forgotten more about firearms, DuPont and Galena, and shooting then most of us will ever know. Pay attention and you might just learn something.

very true , and if the cussing bothers you get some big girl panties on ! hint ????????
Posted By: OGB Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/22/22
Stick shot so much he moved on to a laser beam!

Nice Buck.
Only have a couple 6-284's,but that niche rifle is easily my favorite. A 6-06 is an easier route. Hint................

Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Tsavo

very true , and if the cussing bothers you get some big girl panties on ! hint ????????

That’s funny. Hint

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]how to screen capture
Posted By: GreggH Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/24/22
I think highly of the .284 Win. …..it makes a great 25-284!😁

GreggH
I've only got (3) 25-284's and the 6-284 is vastly superior. Hint...................
Only have a couple 6-284's,but that niche rifle is easily my favorite. A 6-06 is an easier route. Hint................

That's a hell of a Sitka blacktail!
Stick,

How's the 6-284 vs. the 243 Ackley on velocity and barrel wear?

Same question re: 6mm Creed?

I've only got (3) 25-284's and the 6-284 is vastly superior. Hint...................
Originally Posted by blairvt
I have the idiot blocked, You would be better off doing the same.

Turned out to be the best advice. smile Done.
David,

Barrel wear/tear,is predicated upon numerous things and as case capacity goes up,barrel life follows in compromised duration. As mainstay .243" chamberings go,I shoot a "few" and their applications tend to differ. Hint.

As comparisons betwixt the 6-284,243AI and 243 Kreed' go...the Kreed is mechanically the most forgiving,due case length. I tend to fret projectiles much more,than heeding an arbitrary velocity threshold,if only because bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps. I'll happily take the Kreed' and more bullet,while happily trading away some velocity and eeking better barrel life. Hint...............

Grosslady,

There's ZERO fhuqking need to substantiate,that besides being a Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktard,that you just also "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit like Clair and "claim" Imaginary Pretend Ignore,as you read my EVERY fhuqking word...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You could simply shut the fhuqk up,take notes,apply same and finally learn something in your "life". Not that I don't enjoy your being too fhuqking STUPID,to even "do" that "much". Hint.

Bless your heart for Lying,Crying and Trying.

Thanks!
Posted By: OGB Re: Any love for the 284 win? - 07/25/22
.......and for whatever reason, the 6 Creedmore has been on the shelf through the entire "shortage" in my area. No idea why, other than most here probably already have a 243 win and would look to the 6.5 Creedmore for something different. (?)
A well thunked 21" 243 Kreedmire,will scoot a 110/12 .6xx BC to 3050fps,with magfed Smooches. Hint.

Making it an exceptionally nice performance to recoil ratio platform,more than a wee bit adept in it's relative abilities. Hint...............
Personally no interest ( or hate against) the 284 Win. I AM interested in its case necked up to various ca!ibers, like .338, .358 and .375.

There was an artjcle in a Handloader's Digest from the 1970's about the 375-284 Win. It was a Savage 99-based chambering. Part of the story included an description of an interview sportscaster Curt Gowdy had during a MLB Monday night network TV rain-delayed game. Gowdy, host of "the American Sportsman" during same era, interviewed (on air, network TV) a MLB player (Oakland A's Mike Epstein?) about this wildcat he played with.

====================

Handloader's Digest 6th Edition (1972?)

"The 375-284: A MAGNUM FOR LEVER ACTIONS" by Peter J. Spiliotis (pp 111-115)

Gun used: Savage 99C

Speer 235 grain Spitzer Load: N203 51-57 grains("max") MV: 2750-3390 fps

Speer 270 grain RN: Load: N201 48-54 grains ("max") MV: 2100-2350 fps

barrel length used: 19" (author est. 20-30 fps for each additional inch of barrel length, but testing. Just his estimate)

Max OAL (loaded) 2.80" due to need to fit in Savage model 99C detachable magazine

No information on barrel contour, or rifling twist provided. Bob Snappe of Clare, Michigan did "the conversion work" (which I presume to mean "gunsmithing").

Author's general conclusion was that he felt N201 was the "best" powder for the bullets tested. His reloading powder rate speed from the time of the article was writting shows that Norma 201 was equivalent to IMR 3031. Norma203 was equivalent to IMR 4064/4895.

Author liked the results. A "thumper"

±+++++++++++
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/7336736/re-375-284-wildcat#Post7336736

"I remember reading an article about the 375-284 in either a Handloader Digest or Gun Digest from the late 1960's -early 1970's?? The article went something like...

Curt Gowdy (of baseball announcer fame) was calling a ballgame for NBC. There was a rain delay, and they were killing time for the rain to pass. I THINK they interviewed a ballplayer (Mike Epstein???) during the rain delay, and asked him what he was up to lately, and he replied he was working on a 375-284 wildcat.

Honestly, this was in the first couple of paragraphs of the article. Curt Gowdy was also the host of the then popular network show "The American Sportsman", so he was interested in such stuff.

Anyway, there were loads, specs, and rifle info in that (short) article. I may run across it, and post info on it.

I don't remember any MV much over 2400-2500 fps with a 270 grain bullet from the article- but it's been decades since I read it last.

Hope you can find it. Good short read, and a blast from the past. Can you imagine any network show actually just chatting on-air about handloading like it was a safe, normal and enjoyable activity? Especially NBC?"

++++++++

Just adding this entry simply as a "for what it's worth" post since it is related to the 284 Winchester's unique case. Just reading material for fun.
When I was going through a 284 wildcat phase I did them in 6mm, 25, 6.5mm, 30, 338, 358, and 44. I did them on Remington 722s and Savage 99 C/CDs. Whenever I do a Savage 99 wildcat, I like to do a bolt action rifle for working up loads. A few of those rifles came from the Kittery Trading Post and from Big Al's in Seabrook, NH.
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Fieldcraft.

Was really after a 6mm Creed, but beggars can't be choosers and all that.

A well thunked 21" 243 Kreedmire,will scoot a 110/12 .6xx BC to 3050fps,with magfed Smooches. Hint.
© 24hourcampfire