Home
I didn't know they made carbine versions of this rifle. Is it somewhat rare/desirable? It also has the thumbnail safety on the bolt.
Yup, 14 carbines had straight, rather than pistol grip, stocks and shorter barrels in 25, 30, 32, and 35 REM. Same/same for the 14 1/2 carbines in 38-40 and 44-40.

Uncommon in most places, but pump action centerfire rifles seem to be a regional thing, more in PA and NY, less in AZ and NM.
That's not a safety on the bolt
Originally Posted by moosemike
That's not a safety on the bolt
It's the release.

Dave
There is a button at the back of the breechblock to release the action. On this rifle there is also a corrugated selector in the middle of the breechblock. There is also a relief cutout in the receiver below it.

[Linked Image from picturearchive.gunauction.com]
Several years ago I handled a Remington Model 14 carbine in 25REM, only one I have ever encountered.
Originally Posted by Jericho
Several years ago I handled a Remington Model 14 carbine in 25REM, only one I have ever encountered.

There is, or recently was, a 14 carbine in 25 REM on GB that look rough.
Originally Posted by grouseman
There is a button at the back of the breechblock to release the action. On this rifle there is also a corrugated selector in the middle of the breechblock. There is also a relief cutout in the receiver below it.

That corrugated selector is a ‘Thumbnail Safety’. The crossbolt safety in the rear of the trigger bow may or may not be a dummy.
Always had a thing for the 14R and 141R carbines.

I had a 35 Rem with the bolt safety. Old guy told me they were prison guard rifles. If an inmate took them they wouldn't be able to figure out the bolt safety. Who knows, but good story.
M14’s with the milled receiver slot and thumbnail safety were manufactured in 1919 - 1920, I’ve read the safety was pretty difficult to operate when wearing gloves.
Uh oh. The one I'm looking at has a pistol grip stock, not straight.
Uh oh. The one I'm looking at has a pistol grip stock, not straight.

I believe that the 14 carbines were all cataloged with straight grip stocks, but they were discontinued long before I was born. Years ago I owned a couple of 14s in 25 REM, but even then 25 REM ammo and component brass was nearly impossible to find. I saw 1 that had been converted to 250-3000, probably in an attempt to address the challenge of finding ammo, but that looked like a potentially dangerous conversion to me.

There was a Standard Arms collector from Saugerties, NY, who traded 100 pieces of NIB 25 REM brass to me for a Lyman tang peep sight for a Standard. A strange looking sight, as when it was mounted properly it looked like it was on backward.
“Rifle stocks had a pistol grip, straight stocks were used on carbines but stocks could be ordered with pistol grips for an extra charge”......Ken Baluch
260RG, I tried to send you a PM but it says your over your limit
They had one in .25 at Loudoun Guns in Leesburg, VA a while back. Very fetching, but $1250 IIRC, a bit much for something so had to feed. At the same time they had a decent rifle in .35 for about $700.
Originally Posted by Poconojack
“Rifle stocks had a pistol grip, straight stocks were used on carbines but stocks could be ordered with pistol grips for an extra charge”......Ken Baluch
Ken Blauch. He was my Grandma's cousin. I used to go to his hunting camp. He wrote a book on Gamemasters. He owned over 100 of them. He gave me the grand tour and the book
My dad carried a model 14 in 35 rem for decades.
He always told me you have to work the action like your going to tear it in two.
If you pussy foot around when you work the action..you'll end up with a shell in the bolt face and one ready to come up at the same time.
Not a desirable condition...
I look at my dad's old rifle in wonderment at the machine work on that receiver. Unreal.

Dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm
My dad carried a model 14 in 35 rem for decades.
He always told me you have to work the action like your going to tear it in two.
If you pussy foot around when you work the action..you'll end up with a shell in the bolt face and one ready to come up at the same time.
Not a desirable condition...
I look at my dad's old rifle in wonderment at the machine work on that receiver. Unreal.

Dave

Tough on brass
Pretty sure that wasn’t a consideration in those bad old days.

Now, with the difficulty in getting stuff to feed the .25, .30, and .32, different story. Even .35 is tough at times it seems.
My uncle had a 14 .30 Remington and I always wondered why my .35 Remington 141 weighed so much more than that little .30 of his? Over built sure comes to mind. Now I consider myself fortunate to even have a .25, .30, .32 and .35 Remington cartridge in my collection.
Originally Posted by Windfall
My uncle had a 14 .30 Remington and I always wondered why my .35 Remington 141 weighed so much more than that little .30 of his? Over built sure comes to mind. Now I consider myself fortunate to even have a .25, .30, .32 and .35 Remington cartridge in my collection.

I thought that Remington's decision to give the 141 larger, heavier, wood and a longer, heavier, barrel were changes in the wrong direction. Maybe the 14's pump handle was a little small and the stock's comb a little low, but those were easy to address issues. I've owned a few 14s and 141s, still have a 141 in 35 REM, plus one of the hard to find 14 1/2 carbines in 38-40 that had been d&t for a G&H side-mount and had had the stock replaced with a pistol grip style. I bought it, along with a Savage 1899CD in 40-55, a rebored 38-55 that used the cast lead bullets designed for the 40-82 WIN, from an old rancher who live on the CO/NM state line north of Chama, NM. The 14 1/2 was his wagon, later Model T Ford, gun and showed a lot of honest wear. No collectors' value, but the stories it could have told if it could have talked.
I have a bag of new .30 REM brass, so I'm good there.
same safety

These certainly aren't made for the tracker/snap shooter but it's kinda cool. Worthless for a lefty though.
Posted a pic of some .30 Remington Carbines in the Image Gallery if someone would be kind enough to move it over.
Picked up an pump in 257 Roberts because it looked cool. Came with dies, ammo, mags. While it looks like a neat little rifle I've actually no use for an 257 roberts. Dumb purchase on my part, buying stuff with no intent to use it.
© 24hourcampfire