Home
Posted By: Jericho Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Handled a Howa 1500 rifle today, first one I had seen for sale in awhile. I have always heard that they are very accurate shooters, but have never owned one. Are these rifles sleepers or are they just not popular with the masses?
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I think they’re at least ‘as good’ as anything else in their $ range, if not better than just about all you can buy for their $
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Agree with hh. Seem like quality products. A lot of folks are after lightweight. That, they are not. But my 6 creedbun shoots nice little groups.

But, then, I don't know schidt from shinola.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
They're heavy. Otherwise as nice as about any rifle out there. One piece bolt, m16 extractor, two stage crisp trigger.

Vanguards are made by Howa.
Posted By: olgrouser Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
HEAVY?? Unless you buy an Alpine model with a trimmed action and a Basner stock, then the rifles are light.

And if you don't like the Howa 2 stage trigger, then add a Timney and Bob's your uncle.
Posted By: CopperSolid Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Considering pulling the trigger on this one. Never owned a Howa, but they sure carry a good reputation.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...action-rifle-65-creedmoor-22in/p/1696517
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I bought a Howa Alpine Mountain, sweet lil rifle after replacing the suckazz trigger
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
The standard Howa rifle in the Hogue stock is just too heavy and clunky feeling. I cannot understand why they keep using that POS stock. Otherwise, Howa makes a good rifle.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The standard Howa rifle in the Hogue stock is just too heavy and clunky feeling. I cannot understand why they keep using that POS stock. Otherwise, Howa makes a good rifle.

Yup
Posted By: JPro Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22

Agreed. The current injection molded Vanguard stock is far better. The HACT trigger is a winner too. A guy could do far worse than an SS Howa/Vanguard. Aftermarket support aside, I’d as soon have one as a 700 in some applications.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Forged-steel action

Forged-steel one-piece bolt that takes down with a twist

The floorplates and triggerguards are aluminum, but work perfectly

Factory DMs are kind of cheesey, but work well. The release needs to be trimmed or replaced to prevent accidental drops. There’s a nice guard and release available for the Mini-action

Standard-weight rifles are heavy, but they have several light options now and one features a flush DM. The Carbon Mini weighs 4lbs 10oz. The long-action in carbon IIRC goes 6-4.

I have an Alpine in .243 and a Mini Grendel, and a Carbon .223 on the way. Been thinking about a Carbon .270.

I wouldn’t call them “nice” as some details are a bit spartan, like the safety lever. But they are solidly built of quality materials and work. According to custom smith Wayne York, they’re precisely made, so don’t need a lot of tweaking. He bases a lot of his customs on the Minis, and makes a very nice floorplate and 18oz stock for them.
Posted By: devnull Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Good solid action and bolt that feel like a bank vault when they close. The HACT 2-stage trigger isn't the best but is workable with a spring change or coil snip. The Hogue stocks are horrible on those models. The regular actions are not a lightweight but not super heavy either.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by JPro

Agreed. The current injection molded Vanguard stock is far better. The HACT trigger is a winner too. A guy could do far worse than an SS Howa/Vanguard. Aftermarket support aside, I’d as soon have one as a 700 in some applications.

Amen to that! I like the couple I have. Rugged rifles and I like the 3 pos safety on them myself. Trigger isn't too bad at all with a simple spring swap.

Those Barreled action sales from Brownells offers a bunch of value when they are caught on sale. Wished they'd up the twist a bit on the 7-08 version, but otherwise it is kind of a nice way to get into a rifle. Alot of us junk the factory stocks anyhow, so not paying for that stuff just makes my life easier.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I like the barreled actions, but dislike the stocks and have swapped all of mine into B&Cs, McMs, or V2 take-offs.

I think that the V2s are a more refinded package because the stocks are so much better, but the V2s are usually a little heavier because their standard barrel length is 24" rather than 22".

In a light mountain rifle, I'd rather have a Kimber Hunter than a Howa Alpine when they sell for the same money.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I have one in an HS Precision stock. Good Rifle. Very accurate. Doesn't seem too heavy to me. About the same as my Tikka 595 and Ruger 77. I have no trouble carrying them around all day. They hold steady and balance well offhand.
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I have a Howa 1500 .223 9 twist varmint barrel and factory hact 2 stage trigger. It shoots factory Black Hills .25” groups and hand loads same. I’ve shot it out to 700. My son has used it to kill a couple deer in addition to a schidt ton of prairie dogs. It has probably 1500 down the tube and can go 2-300 between cleanings. Maybe more but I clean it around 300 and it doesn’t foul too bad either.
Posted By: papat Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Not able to add to anything here but have one in 204 and one in 25-06. Well satisfied.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I had a Howa semi-custom made up by my old, dearly departed Gunsmith. It was a Vanguard (Howa) action, a Gain Twist barrel from Montana (?) in a Boyd's stock. 338 RUM. shot like a varmint rifle with the Nosler 180 AB, 3500fps in a moderate(but again, very accurate/flat shooting) load. He had reworked the factory trigger. I popped a really nice Aoudad around 250yds (a chip shot) and the outfitter offered me twice my money for it! Well hey, since it was a super ugly rifle (the Boyd's Pepper Laminated/Weatherby style stock didn't do it for me, ha) I let him have it. I've had other Howa actions (Vanguards) all were nice when tweaked a bit.
The "first time" I saw a Howa action was on a S&W Model 1500, in 30-06. (early 80s) an acquaintance at work got one. It kicked the beJeebies out of him, wrong stock style for sure! ha
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I like the two we have. I put together a faux Alpine .308 Win for my daughter, and I have a Brownell's $250 6mm Creedmoor barreled action in another Alpine stock. My Daughter's rifle tips the scale at 7 lbs with VX-II 3-9X40, and mine was 7.5 lbs before adding a Redfield 4-12x40.

There is a pretty big difference between the weight of the Howa LWT rifle I used for my daughter's faux Alpine and my barreled action. Her rifle has the lightening cuts on the action and the 20" barrel. My rifle has a 22" sporter barrel and no cuts on the action.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Have killed many deer with a heavy barrel 308, 20". Weighs a ton......prettied it up some with a B&C medalist stock......the hogue it came with way too ugly.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Not a fan of the Hogues, especially the rubbery ones. They pick up all kinds of forest fluff.
Posted By: OGB Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I'd snap up an Alpine in a heartbeat if they'd put the bolt on the other side.

BTW, Who likes the Hogue stock? Seriously! Why are they even a thing anymore?
Posted By: mathman Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I think those Hogue stocks are made in a "marital aid" molding factory.
Originally Posted by mathman

Now that was funny!
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I have been anxious to see there Mini in 6mm ARC. Not sure why I am so interested in the Howa Mini 6mm ARC as I am very Happy with the CZ 527 that was re-barreled to 6mm ARC.

Glad I rebarreled the CZ, as it looks like Ill get 2 Hunting seasons B4 the Howa 6mm ARC may be available.
Here's how I solved the stock problem on my 2 Howas.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by mathman

Alongside the jelly buttons?
Posted By: Geno67 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 07/29/22
I have 2 and both of them are .5 moa with any old garbage ammo. I found used wood stocks off of vanguards for both but the factory tupperware junk stock is accurate if you don't put hands/bags forward of the front action screw. With decent handloads using hammer hunter bullets, they are crazy precise. 25-06 and .308

The pictures are nice, but what makes and models are they?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The pictures are nice, but what makes and models are they?

The top pic is a Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor in a B&C stock, and the bottom one is a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel in a Stocky's carbon fiber, with the Oregon Gunsmithing bottom metal.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/04/22

Cause guys like me Like 'em and purchase them.....
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/04/22
I have several 1500 and they all shoot well except for a 300 wsm and about 1.5" groups at 100yds is the best that it will do. I just got one of the new superlites in 308 win, and it seems like a pretty nice rifle. I have only shot it at 50yds to sight it in but 3 rounds of SSA 150gr accubonds were all touching.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I have several 1500 and they all shoot well except for a 300 wsm and about 1.5" groups at 100yds is the best that it will do. I just got one of the new superlites in 308 win, and it seems like a pretty nice rifle. I have only shot it at 50yds to sight it in but 3 rounds of SSA 150gr accubonds were all touching.

Is that Superlite triggerguard plastic or aluminum?
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/05/22
It's plastic.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/05/22
When may hope to see reviews for the 6mm ARC offerings due out this spring?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/05/22
Originally Posted by JMUPT
It's plastic.

Thanks. Thought so as the aluminum ones usually have a brushed appearance.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/05/22
I've always found the Howas to be well built guns and solid performers for the price paid.
Posted By: WAM Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/06/22
I’ve got a Wby Vanguard model 6.5-300 Weatherby that weighs 8.5 lb scoped, not loaded, no sling. Shoots lights out with factory 127 gr Barnes LRX and 130 gr Scirroco loads. I know a couple of guys who have the plain Vanguard with the marital aid molded stock in .300 Wby that shoot well. Not sure I’d care for that rifle a full pound less than my Mark V in .300 Roy.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Howa 1500 rifles - 08/06/22
I think the actions are great anyone I have shot

I have owned a few
The Hogue stocks are a great example
Feels good and functions bad

Where it’s the Howas or the Rems
Either way not great

Hank
© 24hourcampfire