Home
a short story in late 1977 i bought a Remington 700 adl from allied's in Murray Utah, i was 19 years old but end up selling for gas money and rent. go forward to 2022, now I've bought and sold a tons of pistols and rifles. so I'm in my favorite pawn shop and i find a 270 in a Remington 700 adl i just had to have it, i believe it was made in 1977 so i bought it and put a Redfield 4x power scope on it. so yesterday i bought a Remington 700 classic in 350 Remington magnum, i love vintage rifles and revolvers.
I prefer the 700 ADL over the BDL for hunting purposes. Seems like the blind magazine well is stronger than the BDL with floor plate. I have a 22-250 made in 1978 in an ADL that is as accurate as most custom rifles! But the BDL sure looks good in the rack!
My .30 Gibbs is an ADL. It sits in a custom shop take-off stock that is super light. Between the stock, lack of floorplate and 22" barrel it is light, handy and accurate.
I prefer the BDL because of the ease of unloading. I've got both and have never seen any difference in accuracy.
I have both ADL and BDL but will take an early ADL...hands down!
I mainly have ADLs, vs BLDs... but to be contrary, I prefer the BDLs...CDLs even moreso.
I'm likely to lean BDL style over ADL but prefer AICS mags over both. grin
Have more ADL's then bdls. ADL's in 204 ruger varmint, 223, wood stocks ADL's in 25/06,270,30/06,and 7mm. Also have. An synthetic stainless in 300 win.
Bought my first CF rifle, a .270 Win. ADL, at Sunset Sports in SLC in 1978 with my employee discount. I had taken a part time job there working nights and weekends at the gun counter. That ADL served me well over the years and it's still in the safe.
I own three M700's, a 223 AI, a 270 Win and a 338-06, and all are ADL's with two being in aftermarket synthetic stocks.
I’ve owned and hunted 2 ADLs in the 70s and early 80s. No complaints except I don’t care for the blind mag. I still have a BDL 243 win, which has become the rifle my grandkids graduate to for deer hunting.
Yes I like and own a couple adl's.
I have owned 4 or 5 ADLS... with the majority of them being custom shop KS rifles. I don't miss any of them.
ADL over BDL for a hunting rifle everytime.
AICS DBM over both in most applications.
Every BDL stock I’ve owned was inletted for DBM soon after.
My first Remington was a 660 in 6mm REM and blind magzines have always been the only option in the 600/660 series.

I still have that rifle, plus a few more 600/660s, but I prefer a hinged floorplate if it is an option. I've never understood why Remington chose to put the plastic trigger guard unit on the 600/660s, but Remington has made more than a few decision that have raised questions and prompted shoulder shrugs over the years.

Nearly every 700 ADL that I've owned for any length of time was converted to the BDL format.
Originally Posted by SKane
I'm likely to lean BDL style over ADL but prefer AICS mags over both. grin
Same.
Yes
I have a 82 model adl 30-06 bought it a couple a few years ago off a used rack in lgs Very good condition a little bluing wear on the end of the barrel and wood was 95% Paid $300 total for it..... it’s the most accurate 06 I own...... was looked at by a lot of people the shop owner said They all turned their noses up at $300 I’m glad they did Nothing wrong with an adl
Nothing wrong with an ADL, great rifle for the price!
Yep. Don't think I ever had one that wasn't a good shooter.
Usually had better wood than BDLs.
Mostly a preference for me on ADL. In my earlier days it was either ADL or BDL with glossy finish and white spacers etc. Plus, my Dad had a .270 ADL in mid-sixties. Guess that's why the affinity for early models of this rifle...my preference.
I saw an early 700ADL in 25-06 a few weeks ago for 1K
Originally Posted by Jericho
I saw an early 700ADL in 25-06 a few weeks ago for 1K

That was my first bolt action high power rifle, paid 150 for it new.
To answer the question - no.

I've just never warmed up to Rem 700's at all. I started off with Rugers and Winchesters (and a Sav M1899) so the 700 thing never grabbed my interest.
No. Not crazy about the BDLs either. The CDL was the most handsome, especially the SS models in walnut, edging out the Classics somewhat.

Not a Remington guy, so haven’t followed the new company, except read a bit about the 870s, and checked out a Fieldmaster at an LGS.
I prefer the older ADL over the others.
I prefer a 721/2 B Model
I do prefer ADL blind mag configuration for hunting. One less thing.
ADL's are quirky it seems, I always get a flier on the first shot from a clean barrel.

It's only 8 shots, so may not be truly representative.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
thanks for all the replies!
Dan...doggone ADLs How terrible!
The only real difference between ADL and BDL is that the ADL has a blind magazine and it cost less while the BDL has a floorplate. I know that traditionally the BDL had a different stock style, A black forend tip, different checkering and a more glossy finish on the wood. But there are plenty of exceptions. You can find ADL and BDL rifles with fancy or plain wood. Both can be had in SS, both were offered with various synthetic and laminated stocks over the years.

The Mountain rifle was offered at various times in ADL, BDL and detachable box magazine configurations. They came with walnut stocks, synthetic and laminated stocks. The Classic and CDL are just BDL's with distinctive stocks.

I chose an ADL back in 1974 as my 1st rifle because my 16 year old budget wouldn't allow the extra $75 for the BDL. I never considered the blind magazine to be a handicap and have always preferred the ADL to BDL in any configuration. My favorite 700 was one of the ADL SS Synthetic Mountain rifles.

I've never owned one but find the current CDL stock to be the most attractive stock Remington has ever put on a 700. The traditional BDL stock has always seemed too flashy and gawdy for my tastes.
I think that I have two adls- 1 270 win that I shot my first moose with in 1982 and 1- 7 Remington magnum that is in a bell and carlson stock. I have several BDLs - 1 30/06, 1 8 Remington Mag and 1 243 win. I have more 600s, 660s and 673s. I really need to make a big order on timney triggers. Most of those rifles are accurate. Just have the remington safety issue and didn't send them in.
My first Rem 700 was an ADL in 7 mm RM. I took it on my first South African hunt and maybe used in on one Montana Antelope hunt before I swapped it a couple of years later
for a BDL. The only difference between the ADL and the BDL is the hindged floorplate on the BDL. I like the option of the hindged floorplate to unload the rifle. My BDL is also Stainless which I also like better that the black finish on my earlier ADL.

I've used my stainless BDL on two South African hunts and on three Canadian hunts where it put two sub-species of caribou and a Musk on in the B&C record book for me. After 20 years of using this rifle in it's Remington Tupperware stock, last week I finished installing my 7 RM Rem 700 barrel and action into a Weatherby Vanguard Griptonite stock.

In 2004 I bought my second Rem 700 rifle, another Stainles BDL. chambered in .375 RUM. The first thing that I did when I got that rifle was to install the barrel and action into a laminated Richards stock. I've used that rifle on two African hunts, one for Cape Buffalo and another for plains game, and last year I shot an Alaskan Brown bear with it.
Originally Posted by UpThePole
Usually had better wood than BDLs.
I've noticed a tendency for nicer figured wood on the ADL's also.
The reason I have more ADL's then the hinged floor plates are the fact you can get them cheaper. At one time Walmart had the adl synthetic with a cheap scope for under $400. Forgot about the 243 compact that I got for my daughter before realizing she shoots lefthand.
The early 700s were great. Many probably don't know this but Remington used to test all the center fires for accuracy before they let the plant in Illion.
An early 700 ADL is a fine rifle.
Originally Posted by Bugger
The early 700s were great. Many probably don't know this but Remington used to test all the center fires for accuracy before they let the plant in Illion.
An early 700 ADL is a fine rifle.

I never knew that.

I prefer a blind magazine, one less moving part to break or come open.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No, I hate the things.

I have some of each, but prefer the adl for a hunting rifle.
Got a ADL SP varmint in 243 . It is a hammer .
100 gr sgk setting on H4831sc gives .5” groups pretty consistent.
Best being .18” worse .75”
The sgk puts a world of hurts on deer .
70gr Speer obliterates ground hogs
Kenneth
I've always preferred the BDL because of the upgraded finish and adornments and the dropped floor plate for unloading at the end of the day. But I have to admit that two of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned were Remington 700 ADL models- one in 243 and one in 30-06...both of them went to family members - nephews- and have taken game since. I just had too much overlap and didn't see the need to keep them.
Originally Posted by mooshoo
a short story in late 1977 i bought a Remington 700 adl from allied's in Murray Utah, i was 19 years old but end up selling for gas money and rent. go forward to 2022, now I've bought and sold a tons of pistols and rifles. so I'm in my favorite pawn shop and i find a 270 in a Remington 700 adl i just had to have it, i believe it was made in 1977 so i bought it and put a Redfield 4x power scope on it. so yesterday i bought a Remington 700 classic in 350 Remington magnum, i love vintage rifles and revolvers.

Generally I prefer the BDL but it seems like the only Remingtons I've bought in quite a while were for donor actions so it doesn't matter much. My favorite ADL-ish rifles were the LVSF guns.

There is certainly an appeal that comes eventually to returning to your roots.
Never paid much attention to the 700 ADL series as considering something of "also ran". As noted above, the lack of viable magazine dumping, a negative. Positive, filling market niche as offering econo-choice. But then my own wielding... Transformation, if limited!
Came across one at a gun show great condition and super price. Chambering in 7mm Remington Mag, for which I have particular affection. Yet the 'fatal attraction' was the high quality bit figured Walnut stock. All lines suggesting ADL factory, but just not accounting for the mate up with ADL 'minimalist' features. The rifle's a conundrum, but eliciting quick draw wallet technique as verifying 'functionality' and bore condition! Don't think my rendition typical, but she's handsome. smile

Couple of asides.
1. In fairness I'm predisposed to the Win Model 70 CRF rifles versus Rem 700 PF systems - as acknowledging both great.
2. Equal time to my Rem Mod 30 specimens & several 720 - D&T 'non collectors' of yesteryear.

Best!
John
The BDL is for show, the ADL is for go.
Prefer the ADL's for carry and simplicity. Of course some folks have never learned how to unload a blind box magazine safely, and in that case Gawd invented the the hinged floorplate......

But I do have a soft spot for all M700 Classics, especially the unlimited series, hinged floorplate and all.
© 24hourcampfire