Home
I bought a Remington rolling block today, someone traded it in and I was able to buy it very cheaply.

Someone put a ton of work into carving a custom stock and re-barrelling it.

It's in 7mm Mauser.

It's old enough that there is no model name on it or serial.

How strong are these? Can I shoot regular 7x57 level loads?

If I rebarrel it, are there limits?

The stamp says Remington arms Ilion, but the date is unclear. Maybe 1891?

Any help is appreciated
Pics man , pics
No hot 7MM reloads in a rolling block please.
I have several pics of it but I cant get them to post. Maybe it's my phone. I dunno
Up
Are you sure it was rebarreled? Very late 19th century, very early 20th Rem made what was known as the smokeless frame with barrels in 7mm. My personal one I have fired light 7X57 loads in with fair accuracy considering my eyes. Most of these were South American or Mexican contract rifles. They also had generous chambers so don't expect the brass to last long. That all said they are great to turn into custom guns and can handle the BP cartridges with ease. Even some low pressure smokeless.
Not sure if it's been rebarreled. It looks like it could be original.

Plan is to make it a 357 or 38-55
Very worthwhile project. Keep us updated.
Read this post and more:

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/fo...d=42dcc7c683a2ee8530b23489bbacdcd3#p9265

Bruce
Yikes. Not inspiring confidence...
Been trying to post pics but it keeps saying they are too big. Can't get this stupid phone to cooperate.
Also wondering what straight wall cases might work with minimal extractor work.
I have a Model #1 Roller. As such I never bothered with the 7x57 or any other smokeless cartridge.
It came rebarreled in 40-70 Sharps Straight(40x2 1/2) which I have had great luck hunting. I kept that
barrel but rebarreled to 40-50 Sharps Straight to shoot in schuetzen competition. I have shoot several
targets in the 210-220 point range on the German Ring target. All shooting has been with black powder.
A lot of the #1's were chambered in 45-70
Hmm. Black powder is another idea.
Extractor should work with any .473 timeless and should be close for a rimmed of close to same size.
That's what I was trying to figure out. I think 44 mag is close. And 38-55
© 24hourcampfire