Home
I have a Tikka T3x in a McMillan Edge stock. I feel like I have to lift my head to see through the scope. What cheek piece would y’all recommend?

Rifle is chambered in 7mag and scope is Trijicon Creedo 2-10x56.
Posted By: Teal Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/18/22
Assume you can't lower the scope...
lower rings
The rings are as low as I can go. The 56mm objective is the culprit. I have never used one this big but it was a gift and I like the scope. Would love to make it work.
I have the Beartooth comb risers on several rifles with stocks that I couldn't get good cheek weld on. They aren't very expensive, so if they don't work for you, you're not out much coin.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have the Beartooth comb risers on several rifles with stocks that I couldn't get good cheek weld on. They aren't very expensive, so if they don't work for you, you're not out much coin.

Thanks 260

I've used the Beartooth comb risers with a good deal of success on a rifle or two. Butt (no pun intended) ugly, but effective.
Posted By: Deans Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/18/22
Something like this might help and not look ugly.

https://triadtactical.com/triad-tactical/all-triad-stock-packs/
Just received a email from Hogue and they are introducing a new cheek rest for composite stocks.
I used a lace on leather one on a Mauser once before I restocked it. Worked fine. Don't recall where it came from maybe Brownells or Midway.
Might have been this
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023260125?pid=498461
Google Accuriser adj comb they are the tits on74 Sharps clone when your sight is way up the staff. They make many models. Mb
Posted By: jc189 Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/18/22

I also use Beartooth comb risers. I have them on 3 Tikka T3x's. they work well, but it's hard to make up the elevation needed to compensate for a 56mm objective. They come with several foam pads that vary in thickness. You can use more than one pad to achieve your desired height.
Posted By: Puddle Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/18/22
I used a Diamond D Butt Cuff on my 400 Jeffery
Posted By: memtb Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/18/22
A scope with smaller objective would be a good place to start! If still an issue….adjustable check rests are available! They can be handy with multiple shooters and one rifle……though, they’re not cosmetically appealing! memtb
I have a Beartooth on my A-Bolt 300 win mag. Helped a ton and made shooting it more comfortable overall.
Sell the stock and buy one with a different comb shape.
Posted By: las Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/19/22
I put a stick-on rubbery job from Brownell's or Cabelas on the Ru77 .338 when I put a 50mm scope and high mounts on. It worked perfectly for me, but I have a long neck anyway. I've recently changed to a standard 3X9 (32mm?) and it still works. Snap the gun up and my eye is aligned. I haven't seen that cheek piece advertised in years, so maybe no longer available, or maybe I just have missed it. Haven't really been perusing that segment of accessories.

Ugly, but a bunch of moose died laughing, via mostly standing off-hand shooting, mostly under 100 yards, but two out to 160 or so.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Google Accuriser adj comb they are the tits on74 Sharps clone when your sight is way up the staff. They make many models. Mb

Have used the Accu-Riser as welll. Got one attached to the synthetic stock of a Rem 11-87 slug gun with cantilevered barrel. Just the ticket.

Brownell's sells, or used to sell, a product called Scope-Eez. It was a stick-on and was available in a number of different heights. Had one on a synthetic stocked Rem 700, 223. Again, it served its purpose, but was prone to peeling on the edges, and over time would no longer adhere to the stock.

The nice thing about the Accu-Riser and Scope-Eez products is that they do not have a lot of material that comes down over the sides of the comb. Therefor, the shooters face is not 'pushed' to the side like a lot of other comb risers/stock packs.
I like these and have several that help Fieldcraft no comb stocks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I have the Godagrip Shotgun Wedge on two rifles. Love them. They use a special 3M adhesive (300LSE ?) that sticks to the stock exceptionally well...

https://godagrip.com/cheek-pads-2/
Posted By: las Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/20/22
Per previous post: the tape holds a section of factory plastic bullet holder on the off-side - holds 4 rounds on the .338.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Note also I installed emergency use low iron sights on what was a bare barrel - the rear one is a V filed in the higher scope base. Not real comfortable to actually use, but it's dead on at 100 with 250 gr. bullets. As said- for if/when the scope goes south.

I always found the Ruger factory sights to be too high and ugly. smile
Originally Posted by Teal

Originally Posted by mud_bogger
lower rings

Like 0.1 - 0.2" is going to solve the problem . . .
Posted By: Teal Re: Cheek rest on hunting rifle - 08/20/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

lower rings

When he posted, scope itself wasn't listed. For all I know he had some sort of see thru mounts on there...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Appalachia isn’t Michigan

LMAO
Check out Bradley cheekrests. Veteran USA made, exceptional quality and reasonably priced. I own three of them, love em.
When he posted, scope itself wasn't listed. For all I know he had some sort of see thru mounts on there...

Yeah - that looks a lot like a T3 in Mickey stock - which is the subject matter of this thread.

I use the beartooth kits on all my rifles now. Most stocks are designed for open sights or people with their cheekbones located on their lower jaw, I'm not sure which. It doesn't matter how low I have the scope mounted or how small the objective is, I've never found a hunting stock where I didn't have to add something to the comb to get my eye lined up right or I'm not going to get a cheek weld.

It's more of a stock design problem in my opinion, very few are properly designed. The beartooth kits fix that, are cheap, easily removable, adjustable, and offer some cushioning which is nice for a day of shooting like on a prairie dog shoot. I don't find them ugly (not that I'd care, it's a tool not a piece of artwork). I have a couple of the tactical style "stock packs" also and don't like them as well as the beartooth product.

I'd much rather fit the rifle to me than switch out a good scope for something inferior just to get it a little lower.
Ive recently put these on 2 of my rufles and ill be doing a couple more. https://matthewsfabrication.com/

[Linked Image from pic8.co]
That Mcmillan stock is a turd and is setup for iron sighted 700's....
I'd dangle a WTT Ad with your EDGE,looking to swap to a MPA Altitude. I'd fish it a coupla days and if no bites,I'd simply sell it and order the MPA from RHR. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just saying...............
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

lower rings

How about lifting your head? The difference between a 56mm and 40mm scope is only 8mm. If you do the math, that is 1/3 of an inch…
crapsmell is "great" with numbers. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Owned five types and prefer the Triad.
They are sopping wet fhuqking sponges,pass the REAL thing and hold The Fluff. Hint.

Just sayin'.................
I like the looks of the Mesa Altitude.
© 24hourcampfire