Home
Posted By: UpThePole 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Finally a very nice Model 8 in 25 Remington !

Dies, cases and shellholder ordered.

Twas not cheap but try and find one !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: barm Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by UpThePole

Cool cartridge! I look forward to hearing how it shoots.
Looks good I'd like to have a 25 rem in a model 14. Got lucky last Friday and scored a model 25 in 25-20. Good luck on brass...mb
Posted By: JENKINS9 Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Nice looking rifle.
Posted By: Windfall Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
I’ve seen 300 Savage and .35 Remington’s in those 8’s and 81’s, but never a .25 Remington. No wonder it took you 50 years! I consider myself lucky to even have a factory loaded .25 Remington cartridge in my collection.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Very nice! A 14 in 25 Rem is one of my grail rifles. I've seen a bunch in 30 and 35 over the years and a couple in 32, but none in 25.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Nice looking rifle.

Fugly is the word I come up with smirk
Posted By: hanco Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Congrats, glad you found it
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Nice looking rifle.

BIG STICK'S bastard son ?
Posted By: Biebs Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Nice looking rifle.

Hint! :-)
Originally Posted by Windfall
I’ve seen 300 Savage and .35 Remington’s in those 8’s and 81’s, but never a .25 Remington. No wonder it took you 50 years! I consider myself lucky to even have a factory loaded .25 Remington cartridge in my collection.

Don't think you will either Windfall in an 81. Originally in the 8 it was chambered for the 25,30,32, and 35 remington's. When it evolved to the 81 the 25 was dropped and I believed they added the 300 savage at that time..mb
Posted By: Igloo Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
What a cool rifle, OP!
Posted By: PJGunner Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
There's an old western from the late 1950'd to maybe early 1960s called "Ride the High Country." One of the bad guys has either A Remington #1 or #81. Never got a real good look but am inclined to think it was the #8.

I originally saw it with my girl friend of the time in a sneak preview. Thought it was fair movie but saw it again later when it was part of a four western movie DVD. I like it a lot more now than back them I might just watch it again tonight if I find time. You might want to look it up.
PJ
Posted By: MarkWV Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/19/22
Nice OP, congrats!
Originally Posted by PJGunner
There's an old western from the late 1950'd to maybe early 1960s called "Ride the High Country." One of the bad guys has either A Remington #1 or #81. Never got a real good look but am inclined to think it was the #8.

I originally saw it with my girl friend of the time in a sneak preview. Thought it was fair movie but saw it again later when it was part of a four western movie DVD. I like it a lot more now than back them I might just watch it again tonight if I find time. You might want to look it up.
PJ

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Ride_the_High_Country
Posted By: roverboy Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/20/22
Great old rifle there. What velocity was the .25 Rem. originally loaded at?
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/20/22
Originally Posted by roverboy
Great old rifle there. What velocity was the .25 Rem. originally loaded at?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.25_Remington

Big advantage over the 25-35 (in lever guns) is being able to use spitzer bullets.
I've got an version in 35Rem. It's an early rifle I believe 1907 date. There's no model number on the rifle just caliber designation. Mine isn't in great condition in the finish dept but functional. My complaint of those old rifles are those awful Cresent butt stocks.
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/21/22
Very cool rifle. I have owned them in 30 and 35 Remington, but have only ever seen one in 25 Remington. It was in such horrible condition that I was not even tempted to buy it. Congratulations your find.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/21/22
Larry is just trying to get on ya'llz good side.
Posted By: ttpoz Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/21/22
My grandfather had a Model 8 in 25 and a Model 81 in 35 Rem. His favorite was the 25. He shot alotta game with it in the 20's, 30's, and 40's. The rifle took at least one moose! Surprising when one considers the anemic ballistics. I now own both of those rifles and shoot them from time to time. I picked up a 30 Rem in the 1980's and always intended to get a 32 Rem and a 300 Savage to complete the set. They're cool old rifles and fun to shoot. Congratulations, UpThePole, on your find. Hope you enjoy it greatly.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/22/22
Here's a group you'll want to join.

https://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/forums/index.php?sid=b97bda3225bb3330c4bb7e30b28bd3e0
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Reading the jwgibson post from 07/19/14 might open some eyes.
Very nice and a fun caliber. Not the hardest hitting but it got the job done when it was needed. The flip side especially in that action is it's very fun to shoot. An 8 or even an 81 have always been a grail rifle for me since I held my first about 44 years ago. I've tried to buy several over the years but they have always been a handful of dollars beyond my reach. I do have 2 A5's as the poor mans substitute. Good luck and enjoy it.
Originally Posted by oldfoneguy
Very nice and a fun caliber. Not the hardest hitting but it got the job done when it was needed. The flip side especially in that action is it's very fun to shoot. An 8 or even an 81 have always been a grail rifle for me since I held my first about 44 years ago. I've tried to buy several over the years but they have always been a handful of dollars beyond my reach. I do have 2 A5's as the poor mans substitute. Good luck and enjoy it.

The A5s are no longer the poor man's substitute, seems they've run up as well. I've got an 8 in 32rem, a joy to shoot, but haven't found the right a5 for me just yet.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/22/22
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Reading the jwgibson post from 07/19/14 might open some eyes.
This one? cool

Yes that's the same guy as this used-up scamming dooshbag poser...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9033573/1
Originally Posted by CoRifleman
Originally Posted by oldfoneguy

The A5s are no longer the poor man's substitute, seems they've run up as well. I've got an 8 in 32rem, a joy to shoot, but haven't found the right a5 for me just yet.

Well...honestly one is a Japanese 20ga and the 12ga is actually a Brownington so yeah they were both lower priced when I bought them used. True to JMB's design they both function flawlessly as most any of this design series of firearms do. An 8 in 35 and an 81 in 300 are 2 not yet achieved dream rifles. Even though I'm in my 60's now I will have both before the end.
Posted By: ScottyLTD Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/23/22

Beautiful and rare. Good shooting!
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/27/22
It showed up today and I am in shock.

100% original, blue is 99%, wood dirty but no damage, bore 8 on 10 scale.

It was encrusted with old grease, so it took a wood mallet to open it.

Just scored a Stith mount for it (purists scream) but I cant shoot irons anymore and have a mint P&CH Alaskan to go on it.

Dies, cases and shell holder arrived. Next a try out.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/28/22
Took her apart today for a good cleaning.

Brings new meaning to "Safe Queen !"

Posted By: Spacers67 Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/29/22
Nice old rifle. I think I just added a new gun to my bucket list with one picture
Posted By: GuideGun Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/30/22
These old Model 8s don't get enough love. They are fantastic old rifles with a lot of history. Congratulations on your 25, it's a beautiful rifle!
Posted By: plumbum Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 09/30/22
It showed up today and I am in shock.

100% original, blue is 99%, wood dirty but no damage, bore 8 on 10 scale.

It was encrusted with old grease, so it took a wood mallet to open it.

Just scored a Stith mount for it (purists scream) but I cant shoot irons anymore and have a mint P&CH Alaskan to go on it.

Dies, cases and shell holder arrived. Next a try out.

Maybe an aperture sight?
Posted By: 348srfun Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 10/02/22
Congrats on a great classic rifle. The one I had years ago would bounce the brass off the top of your head almost every shot. It would occasionally drop one down your shirt collar. That would make you dance. Combination of that habit and the difficulty finding ammo encouraged me to send it down the road. Fun gun though. Good luck with yours..
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 10/05/22
Originally Posted by Biebs
Nice looking rifle.

Hint! :-)

Can't wait to see it with an ugly paint job, Skull and crossbones on the stock....maybe laying in a stream. ....lafffin'

Congrats on the new rifle and fulfilling the dream. Glad you finally got it.
Well, whoever you might or might not be, grats on finally finding your grail gun.
That’s gotta feel great! Congrats on the score
Posted By: Seafire Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 10/07/22
Nice looking rifle.

Which one?
Beautiful rifle, sir. My Model 81 in 300 Savage is a lot of fun to shoot.
I like to think that I’m reasonably knowledgeable in guns but I’ve never heard of a 25 Remington cartridge.

Congrats. Crossings a grail gun off of the list always feels great.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 10/08/22
rimless version of a .25-35
Took her apart today for a good cleaning.

Brings new meaning to "Safe Queen !"

MAN!!!

That is a fantastic snag. There are few to no Mdl 8s out here. I did get to shoot one in 30 Rem. It wasn't a benchrest gun, but it shot minute of deer with any ammo.

The 25 Rem is a real prize.
Posted By: UpThePole Re: 50 Year Search is over ! - 10/09/22
The 25 Rem is in effect a rimless 25-35 with a better case shape. the 30 a 30-30, the 32 a 32 spec.

More goodies !

The Stith mount showed up with a Norm Ford Texan 2.5 X CH scope. I'll sell that as I like posts.

In my scope box, out came a Lyman Alaskan with post and CH.

Mocked up the installation. The front mount uses the existing rear sight holes. The rear mount will need some D&T but the 25 doesn't need 5 holes, 2 should suffice.

Now to find some stripper clips to prepare for the ANTIFA parade.

At one time my business was not doing well, and I had to sell a bunch of guns to keep myself afloat. Unfortunately, this 35 Rem Model 8 Police was one that had to go. I always wanted a 25 though.

Tony

© 24hourcampfire