Home
We've had all kinds of "which rifle" polls over the years... but I love October and classic horror movies... so it's time for another.

In the penultimate scene of Halloween 4 (which is actually pretty awful and not a classic, but alas...), the sheriff, state troopers, and lots of rednecks from town unload on Michael Myers from about 10 yards away and blast him into a mine shaft.

So, if you found yourself living Haddonfield in 1988, and your buddies said "quick, grab a rifle and jump in the truck, we have to go get Michael Myers"... what are you grabbing from the safe?

There are only three rules: (1) it must be a rifle (no shotguns!); (2) it must be a rifle that you actually own and that existed in 1988; and (3) you can only choose one!

I would take along my JM stamped 336 in 30-30. I like the capacity, open sights, and rate of fire. Not a huge thumper, but at 10 yards, that's still a lot of energy. (My initial thought was a Win 670 in 9.3x62 with open sights -- rebored by JES from 30-06 -- that I've just finished rehabbing, built in the late 60s, but it wasn't a 9.3x62 in 1988... so I'm going to follow my own rules!)
My IMI Timberwolf pump in .44 mag.
In 1988 I had a British No. 4, .303 cal, with a new Lithgow barrel I'd had cut down to 20" and a half-length forend. A bit like a No. 5, but without the lightening cuts, uncomfortable butt "pad" and ineffective flash hider. 10 quick shots, and spare rounds in chargers to reload fast, it was a quick-handling little rifle with some firepower. I shot a lot of pigs with it, and I have little doubt it would do a similarly effective job for this scenario.
If it'll kill a lion, it *might* stop Michael Myers 😂😇
Probably my M1 Garand
Sporterized 03. Wish I had not sold it.
Thinking dangerous game reliability, so while I initially thought Remington 81 in 300 Savage, I’ll probably avoid the auto loader and go with the Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
Was in Bible College in '88, only had one rifle. A 1917 Enfield my uncle gave me as a teen. I had it sporterized, had a Tasco 4x with 4 Minute Dot ( I traded for it)! I did have some good loads for it, from 150gr Sierras to 200gr Sierra BT. I would have taken the 200gr!
You don't have to have owned it in 1988 to count, it just had to exist and you have to have owned it at some point. I.e., trying to avoid someone saying military machine gun or a more modern AR, etc.
Originally Posted by backtobethel
Thinking dangerous game reliability, so while I initially thought Remington 81 in 300 Savage, I’ll probably avoid the auto loader and go with the Marlin 1895 in 45-70.
You don't want to be signature guy in the movie whose gun jams or misfires at point blank range from the monster? 😂
M-1A, M-1 Garand, or a 7.62 AK.
M1 Carbine. 30 round magazine. Owned in 88, own it today.
Originally Posted by CreekChub
My IMI Timberwolf pump in .44 mag.
I have no idea what would make the very the best Michael Myers’s stopper but that sounds about as good as any mentioned and a very cool rifle.
My No4 mk1 Lee-Enfield, wow, what a great rifle!
In '88 one could still probably find an M1A, MP5, or HK G3 w/sprinkle-settings for less than the cost of a new car, so, one of those.
Originally Posted by horse1
In '88 one could still probably find an M1A, MP5, or HK G3 w/sprinkle-settings for less than the cost of a new car, so, one of those.
But do you have one in the safe? The idea is what you'd grab from your own collection.
In 88 I didn't have a rifle except a 22 ( long story) I would have to grab the s&w 916 pump 12 ga .
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
In 88 I didn't have a rifle except a 22 ( long story) I would have to grab the s&w 916 pump 12 ga .
It can be one you own now, it (the model/technology) just needs to have existed in 88.
Let me get this straight.

A gun I owned in 88' or a gun I now own but was available in 88'?
It just needs to be a gun you've actually owned and that existed (I.e., was possible for someone to own) in 1988. I was 2 in 1988, so I didn't own anything. But the Marlin 336 I chose existed and I currently own it.

I didn't think the criteria would be this confusing. They were just designed to keep people from choosing modern stuff that didn't exist in 1988 or stuff that a civilian couldn't havr access to now or then.
As much as im not a big pump rifle fan....

760, 30-06, if I could load some of the 165gr Sierra Ups I no longer
use in the 308.

The huge holes they put in deer would be good in that situation.

Otherwise, an AR with 55gr softpoints or a 22-250.
Something about all the jello they create in a Groundhog or behind it.
Only semi-auto centerfire I owned in '88 was a .351 Win SL. I reckon it would do the job.
I would take my BSA Sporterized P1917, with hand carved Ferlach Austrian style stock with Winchester Super X in 180 gr. so when I shot Michael in the head it would explode, and he would drop in his tracks.
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I would take my BSA Sporterized P1917, with hand carved Ferlach Austrian style stock with Winchester Super X in 180 gr. so when I shot Michael in the head it would explode, and he would drop in his tracks.
Best response so far 😂
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Best response so far 😂

LOL The End~
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Its eather between my the m1 or sks both with banyets. Both made before 88 even know I was 3 in 1988.
Originally Posted by JENKINS9
Its eather between my the m1 or sks both with banyets. Both made before 88 even know I was 3 in 1988.
Introducing a bayonet is risky. You're asking to be the guy Michael Myers turns it on...
Easy. The hammer of Thor. My Winchester model 71 in 348-450 ackley improved 500gr trophy bonded bullets at 2450fps. 8 of those center mass and he is not getting up.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Easy. The hammer of Thor. My Winchester model 71 in 348-450 ackley improved 500gr trophy bonded bullets at 2450fps. 8 of those center mass and he is not getting up.
Did the .348 come from the 50-110? (I'm curious about the 348-450 designation?)
The 348 came from the 50-110 wcf. The 348-450 Ackley improved is the 348 Win necked up to 450 diameter and given the ackley 40* shoulder. It can beat the 458 Win. The load I listed above is a hot load but if it was for your life you are going to let it rock!
Probably my Rem. 742 in 30-06 which is the only centerfire rifle I owned in 1988.
Probably take that HK91 I used to have, it was reliable, accurate, and held a lot of ammo. Kinda noisy, but it worked. If you missed with the bullets, the ejected cases could also be very potent secondary projectiles.
At that time it would have been a 700 ADL in 30-06 or a TC Cherokee in 45....think I'll go with the '06 in hopes to get a second shot off. Along with a Winchester 12 ga pump that was all I had. I was in jr high at the time.
But do you have one in the safe? The idea is what you'd grab from your own collection.

Would’ve had to have been one of the half-dozen or so mini-14’s dad had at that time.

Would’ve had to have been one of the half-dozen or so mini-14’s dad had at that time.
How do you expect to stop Michael Myers with rounds that bounce off deer?
A Rem 870 or Moss 500 full of slugs, with a bandolier of extra ammo.
Hk91
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Probably my Rem. 742 in 30-06 which is the only centerfire rifle I owned in 1988.

Same here.

My Remington 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 30-06.
Originally Posted by auk1124
A Rem 870 or Moss 500 full of slugs, with a bandolier of extra ammo.
Shotguns not allowed.
My 10yr old self would have ran to the master bedroom and grabbed Dad's Colt SP-1 and a couple of 30 round magazines from the nightstand drawer. One of the few real rifles a 10yr old could operate and hit with.
I was going through rifles like toilet paper in the late 80's. Don't remember exactly what I had when. The only centerfire rifle I'm sure I had throughout 1988 is my 1949 Winchester 94 .30-30. I bought it in 1982 and still have it. Killed a lot of deer with that rifle. That's probably what I would have used.
Probably an M1A. If I was limited to rifles I had in the late 80s, it would have to be dads old 336 in .30-30.

Old70
Marlin 336 in 44 Magnum. 10 quick shots of 44 magnum, out of a rifle, will get your attention. it worked great in 88 and it works great now!
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I was going through rifles like toilet paper in the late 80's. Don't remember exactly what I had when. The only centerfire rifle I'm sure I had throughout 1988 is my 1949 Winchester 94 .30-30. I bought it in 1982 and still have it. Killed a lot of deer with that rifle. That's probably what I would have used.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A 181 series Mini 14.

kwg
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Just about everything seems manly to a smarmy little cock gobblin' fa ggot from TN....

What a loser.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I bet you did and I bet you are. LOL

Loser.
In 1988 I went down to Woolco to buy a new Remington 7600 in 30-06, they only had a 270 and on my father's advice passed. They did have a Remington 7400 and I bought it. Gun was accurate but heavy. Would have been great to take out Michael
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Probably my M1 Garand

My first thought also
Gents - kindly take the feuding and COVID stuff back to the campfire forum.... has zero to do with anything in this thread, which has been pretty fun so far. Much appreciated.
Gents - kindly take the feuding and COVID stuff back to the campfire forum.... has zero to do with anything in this thread, which has been pretty fun so far. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, there are some who do not come here for any other reason but to show their azz.
I happened to have Halloween 4 on in the background last night and tried to watch the shooting scene in slow motion to figure out what model the bolt action rifle being used is... but couldn't get a clear enough look.
Ruger 77 in .30-06, still have the rifle🙃
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
Ruger 77 in .30-06, still have the rifle🙃
Not everyone loves M77s but I think they're pretty bomb proof. Not surprised it's still around at all!
© 24hourcampfire