Home
Posted By: Burleyboy Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
With my 10 year old hunting this year ive been on the quest for the perfect kids gun. At 10 most kids don't have much for muscle mass so I've learned light weight is important. I've also learned that 1 bad recoil experience can sour a kid quick. An adjustable stock that can get them behind a scope correctly is important too. I've also learned that flawless functioning is important without too heavy of mag release springs ect.

So far this year I've set up a howa mini 6.5 grendel in an mdt less with a magpul adjustable stock. I've also set up a 700 youth 20" 243 in a metal lss as a backup. I have a lightweight AR with a pencil weight BHW 8 twist 3 groove with a 13" lightweight forend and a ctr stock. Then I found a cz 600 field with a 7 twist 223 barrel and adjustable stock so on an impulse I picked it up.

Still not content I'd found a light enough weight option I dug out a NIB kimber Adirondack in 300 BO I bought on clearance years back and put a scope on it. It seemed about perfect with the lightweight 16" barrel but it unfortunately has feeding issues and I haven't been able to tune the spring properly yet to get the backend of the cases consistently up where they need to be come go time. Nothing like a jammed up blind mag when you're in a hurry.

In the end for the next 2 kids I think I'll go 700 action in a fast twist 223 or 6x45 or similar on up to 6 creed max. I'll go with a short 16.5-18" mtn contour barrel in a first gen ti stock cut down to 12.5 lop or so with a bdl style mag box so it can dump and re-sort in a hurry.

Adjustability is nice but in a hunting situation in a hurry I've learned that having it fixed at right is better. So lightweight, easy to operate, low recoil, fixed at the right size, and flawless functioning is where it's at. Seems very obvious in retrospect but it's been an embarrassing journey. Just because the kid shoots well with a 4 pound pellet gun doesn't mean the said kid will do well with a 7.5 pound rifle.

The main thing I learned is figure it out early and get the kid lots of practice. We aren't hunting from a bench in a blind so learning to shoot from field posisitions is key. The next kids will be killing lots of water filled milk jugs from sitting, prone, and standing before deer season.

I've got a couple of walmart clearance 700s in 223 rat holed that I'll be looking for a lightweight remage maybe 16.5"- 18" mtn contour fast twist tube for. I have some first gen ti stocks modified for bdl that will get cut diwn. Allhough I also have a few .473 bolt head actions that might get the nod in 22 or 6 creed because a flat trajectory point and shoot to 300 plus round also seems like a good idea for newbies.

I've had serious thoughts of taking the 243 youth out of the mdt lss and dropping my criterion remage 22 creed in it because it's shooting 88s at 3200ish 1/2 moa. That gives the kid less worries about elevation than a 129 able from a grendel at 2350. I had to dial a whole mil on the grendel to hit a coyote at 280 yards.

In the end though, all my kids love the 16" ar. Maybe that's the tree to bark up.

What works for your kids?

Bb
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
I've still just got my boy on air rifles and 22s, but my plan is to have him start off with either my Henry 327 Federal carbine or my CVA 300 Blackout for the short length and low recoil when I think he's ready for centerfires.

My old man started me with an '06 for my first when I was a kid, and the azz whupping it gave me made me real trigger shy for a long time. I don't plan on making that same mistake with my son. He likes shooting, and I want to keep it that way.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
My two grandkids have used a Remington 700 Youth in 243, just as it came out of the box. They started out around age 10, and were big enough that the stock fit them just fine. I reload for this rifle, and I started off loading at the minimum load in the 85-95 grain bullets, and restricting their shots to a 100 yards. However, both girls proved to be good shots and were able to quickly graduate to full power loads and be able to shot at longer distances.

I am probably somewhat old school, but I believe using a 223 for deer hunting is best left up the experts. I know I'll get an argument from someone out of this, but a 243 is a much better choice for deer than any 223 is, and given the fact that most kids don't have the needed experience in being able to place a shot perfectly, I would feel better not letting them use a 223. I also have a Grendel that would make a good deer rifle for a kid, but the one that's still hunting likes the 243 better.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My two grandkids have used a Remington 700 Youth in 243, just as it came out of the box. They started out around age 10, and were big enough that the stock fit them just fine. I reload for this rifle, and I started off loading at the minimum load in the 85-95 grain bullets, and restricting their shots to a 100 yards. However, both girls proved to be good shots and were able to quickly graduate to full power loads and be able to shot at longer distances.

I am probably somewhat old school, but I believe using a 223 for deer hunting is best left up the experts. I know I'll get an argument from someone out of this, but a 243 is a much better choice for deer than any 223 is, and given the fact that most kids don't have the needed experience in being able to place a shot perfectly, I would feel better not letting them use a 223. I also have a Grendel that would make a good deer rifle for a kid, but the one that's still hunting likes the 243 better.

Agree
Posted By: JPro Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
With all those rifles in hand, I’d drop $600-700 on a 5” .30cal suppressor for them to use.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
A Krunchenticker wearing M4 RSS with pad and foam comb,is tough to beat,as ergo's are a solid foundation. 16" LW Middy and no Loudener. CMC Flatty and Hornie 75 HPBT's in ASC 10's. Hint.

A dot keeps things light,eliminates parallax/eye relief and makes it fast. Hint.

One could argue a dupe,in a dedicated 22LR build. Hint.............
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr

My kids and most grand kids started out with a short stock .243 for KY WT's. No issues...
Posted By: hanco Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Savage Axis youth in 243, maybe 7mm-08. 8 yrs

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Had it dipped for Madalynn At 11

Posted By: Dude270 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A Krunchenticker wearing M4 RSS with pad and foam comb,is tough to beat,as ergo's are a solid foundation. 16" LW Middy and no Loudener. CMC Flatty and Hornie 75 HPBT's in ASC 10's. Hint.

A dot keeps things light,eliminates parallax/eye relief and makes it fast. Hint.

One could argue a dupe,in a dedicated 22LR build. Hint.............

Something along these lines with a SS 1-4 on top would have saved me a lot of trouble when my son was younger. A dot would definitely have benefits too.

I ended up putting a LW 16" stainless upper together from PSA with the above mentioned scope and its one of my son's favorite rifles.
Posted By: Teal Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Lightweight AR with either a dot style or low mag scope - if the kid's spindly.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
1. Ruger RAR (Compact) .22 LR w/ Tech-Sights MXT200 aperture - Drilled out to 3/32" (50% increase (0.062" -> 0.094") so sight picture of 25% shorter RAR (Compact) 18.5" Bbl. is equivalent to 24" Bbl. M1 Rifle w/ 0.072" USGI aperture.)

2. Ruger 77/357 .357 Mag. w/ NECG Ruger Peep Sight.

GR
Pardon reality. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: horse1 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
With my 10 year old hunting this year ive been on the quest for the perfect kids gun. At 10 most kids don't have much for muscle mass so I've learned light weight is important. I've also learned that 1 bad recoil experience can sour a kid quick. An adjustable stock that can get them behind a scope correctly is important too.

I think noise mitigation is as if not more important than actual recoil. You see kids with improper ear protection "hunching their shoulders" trying to hide from the noise. I think that creates a flinch faster and IMO worse than any mild short-action rifle cartridge could. We forget just how tender a new shooters ears are. Remember when a 22lr used to make your ears ring?

Certainly the proper fit is a great way to start off on the right foot by ensuring that the rifle/recoil doesn't have a head-start due to improper ergos. I can't count how many times I've seen a relatively new shooter leaning back to get a long-gun that's either too long, too heavy, or both into some sort of shooting position. Leaned back, improperly balanced, all their weight on their back foot, and no way for their legs or core to soak up any recoil.
I'd wager that the above 22 KHorn wears a chopped LOP,chopped spout,CeraKote and 33gr V-Max magfed Smooches. Hint.(grin)

Hogue is heavy,but forgiving when cold. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
Posted By: hanco Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Beautiful, clear pics Mr Big!!!
7" RPM Mike Rock duped 223AI Montucky. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
With my 10 year old hunting this year ive been on the quest for the perfect kids gun. At 10 most kids don't have much for muscle mass so I've learned light weight is important. I've also learned that 1 bad recoil experience can sour a kid quick. An adjustable stock that can get them behind a scope correctly is important too.

I think noise mitigation is as if not more important than actual recoil. You see kids with improper ear protection "hunching their shoulders" trying to hide from the noise. I think that creates a flinch faster and IMO worse than any mild short-action rifle cartridge could. We forget just how tender a new shooters ears are. Remember when a 22lr used to make your ears ring?

I wouldn't go shorter than a 20" barrel unless you're going to use a suppressor. Report is a lot worse in shorter barreled rifles, unless you slow the velocity down. If all you're wanting to do is knock deer down in controlled situations (100 yds +/-, from blind/stand, stable rest, and a little time), any old 1:9 twist .223 and a 55 grain TSX will do.

I wouldn't waste time building a 6X45 unless you just want one or the .223 isn't legal to hunt with. The 6 ARC or Creedmoor will handle things better than a 6X45. 6.5 Grendel with lighter bullets is a killer as well.
I hear good thangs about a Flyweight 6BR and 105's. Hint.

Though in fairness,I shoot 224,243 and 264 Grendels too. Likely have some Flyweight Montucky 270 LOVE with 105's too. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: tzone Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
I don't think you can go wrong with a .223 Rem in a light platoform. If you can find a Kimber MT grab it. I'm not letting mine go anytime soon.
224 Grendel. Hint.

264 Grendel. Hint.

Beloved 270. Hint.

243 Grendel. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Beloved 18" Flyweight 270. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Them Montana's sure do seem Skookum. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
Shot my first deer with a single shot 16 gauge using a slug. Nope didn't like shooting that light shotgun with slugs but it hit close to the bead the way I held it and worked like a charm. I was 11 and this was outside Wurtsmith AFB in Michigan. Pretty big deer I thought for a doe. However were I to pick a deer rifle for a kid today the current choice might be a 350 Legend 16 inch barreled AR with the muzzle brake replaced with a linear comp topped with either a red dot or a low powered scope.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
BB gun
Pellet gun
.22 LR (bolt)
.223 Rem (bolt)
Downloaded 7mm-08
Downloaded 30-06
Back to the 7mm-08 but full power loads.

No flinch and he’s a good shot.

P
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
For us it was the Ruger American ranch in 300 bo. Shooting the 110 gr Barnes at 2400 fps was great on deer, and the kids shoulder. Effective well past the ranges I would let the kids shoot at a deer and low recoil/report.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
I let the kids choose between a bolt gun or AR. The kids liked the AR platform for low recoil and self loading. I started the oldest with a 223 but had some less than stellar results even with good bullet placement. I built a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel "pistol" to shoot suppressed and it is great.
[Linked Image]

I also added a tripod to help them make good first shots.
[Linked Image]
I've upgraded to a Bog Death Grip now.

The period of time they need a little gun is a few short years and now they have graduated to full size bolt guns.
Posted By: Hiaring8 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/13/22
I guess I took a more non traditional report...My son started hunting when he was 10, but from the age of 5 I had him shooting 22s, 223s, so by the time he was 10 he had lots of trigger time.

He took his first buck at 10 with a Tikka CTR 6.5 shooting full bore 139 scenars...no problem at all for him.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The next year he wanted to shoot elk so I started him shooting a muzzle braked 7 rem mag. At first we had some milder loads but after a summer of shooting, he was shooting full bore 150 scenars at 3150 FPS with no issue at all. Since that time, its the only rifle he has wanted to use and has killed more elk and deer with it.

Ironically, this fall as 14 year old, he has returned to a custom 6.5 creed in a more traditional Mnt Rifle Type build. But from 11-13 he had no issues at all with a 7 rem mag.

One of my biggest takeaways is whatever rifle you go with, put quality optics on it that have good eye relief and that will help them feel way more comfortable shooting...My son has been spoiled with NF ATACR and Zeiss Rifle scopes...Even the 10/22 he shoots has a $400 3-9x zeiss conquest on it...
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by JPro
With all those rifles in hand, I’d drop $600-700 on a 5” .30cal suppressor for them to use.

For sure this! I’ll be sending a montana 223 to the west coast in few days for a new 1-7” Lilja. Maybe it will be back in time for the girls to get a deer with it.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
A Howa Mini, pick your chambering, with a stock and bottom metal from Wayne York is a nice way to roll for sure.
Posted By: JGray Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
My 10 yr old grandson starts hunting this year (next week, actually). I bought him a Ruger American compact 243 and put a 1-4x scope on it. The action is pretty rough/gritty but he's doing pretty well with it...
Posted By: Teeder Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
My son started with a SA 700 mnt rifle in.257 Bob. I stuck it in a shortened classic stock with a gooshy deceleraror. That worked well for a few years until he graduated to a TI stocked lvsf in 7mm-08. My daughter was more picky and ended up with a ruger 77/.357 mag. She's 17 now and confiscated one of my 7mm-08 Montana's.
Posted By: Hunterapp Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
Sure would like to see a Howa chambered in 6mm ARC. For now A Howa in 6.5 Grendel could be a good compromise. Worth a look at the very least. Or if you should stumble in a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel another consideration I like. Sure would be nice to see Tika do a mini action.

If you should go the AR rout, give 6mm ARC or 6.5 Grendel a hard look.
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/14/22
6.8 SPC has been perfect for my kiddos and other’s.

Posted By: weagle Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/18/22
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Sure would like to see a Howa chambered in 6mm ARC. .
Legacy Sports International is listing the Mini in 6mm ARC.
Posted By: weagle Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/18/22
6.5 Grendel is definitely a mild manner killer. I think this might be a good choice for a kid. CVA Scout II pistol, converted to 16 1/2" rifle with pinned & welded muzzle device and adjustable stock. 7lbs even as shown. Great trigger and accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: TnBigBore Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/18/22
My oldest daughter has been laying them down with her Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel using Federal Fusion ammo for several years now. The recoil is very light and the performance has been impressive.
Posted By: Ccard257 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
We started with one of those little savage .22s with a red dot after reading that suggestion here a while back…great recommendation btw. This past weekend I let my 7 year old shoot center fire for the first time using the
.260 rem model 7 I took my first deer with. I put it in a stock with a shorter LOP an had it downloaded with 100gr NBTs from a suggestion on here. Worked like a charm- he was grinning like a fool and kept reaching for another round.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
I have an American I got from DeanA
I have been waiting for a kid for the youth hunt to need one has a Leupold 2.5 to 8 I think with the right ammo this would be a winner for a kid or someone that is recoil sensitive
Hank
Posted By: strat1080 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
I’d go with a 6.5 Grendel. Very low recoil and enough power for deer out to 250-300 yards.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
I went with a M7, rebarreled to 223AI 1/8 at 21" in mt contour. Finished/bedded a Bansner M7 stock with 12.5" LOP which ended up being around 19 oz. Went through a few different ring/mounts/scopes but finally stuck with using Burris XTB bases with Ken Farell rings to get the scope as low as possible. Also tried a Manners EH8 for the higher comb but the grip was a bit more open and this didn't help.

Eventually picked up an MDT LSS chassis for the M7 and let them shoot it a lot in the off season. Unless they're shooting offhand and need the lighter rifle, I think the chassis is hard to beat even during hunting season.

Were I doing it now, with hunting as the focus, I'd go with the Howa Carbon stalker mini in 6.5 Grendel and probably pick up an LSS chassis for it as well.

A couple of things that were helpful that it took me a while to catch on to:
Neoprene stock stickers or beartooth comb kit to raise comb - this and low mount height can help a kid out. Short LOP is the obvious and everyone thinks about it, but cheekweld can still be lacking. Their face ain't as fat as ours.
Using a slim grip on the chassis. Kids hands and fingers ain't ours. A slim/vertical grip helps them with trigger pull.
Posted By: killerv Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
Ruger compact in 260, he's 11 now, been shooting it since he was 8. Heck, I even take it out some times. I do love a 708, he has killed a few with my M7 ss/syn with limbsaver on it. Recoil/size is not an issue.

I went the 223 and 300bo with my sons starting out, but at 10....they can handle bigger calibers. Nothing wrong with a 243, I shot one at his age, but with a 260/708 you arent getting that much more recoil sending a 120 down range. You'd definitely have a better shot at walking in a store and finding 243 ammo than the others.

Posted By: pete53 Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
this year 2022 my small grandson will be using a 223/556 AR-15 i like the ability to adjust the stock with a button and these AR-15`S have a excellent safety too ,plus this rifle is accurate and when he is a little bigger he can use his Ruger #1 257 Roberts 1B that i gave him . another nice thing about a AR-15 is once he grows some i get my home defense rifle back too.
Posted By: Sherwood Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
30-30 was my first deer rifle and I've had much good luck with it. - Sherwood
Posted By: killerv Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
Originally Posted by pete53
this year 2022 my small grandson will be using a 223/556 AR-15 i like the ability to adjust the stock with a button and these AR-15`S have a excellent safety too ,plus this rifle is accurate and when he is a little bigger he can use his Ruger #1 257 Roberts 1B that i gave him . another nice thing about a AR-15 is once he grows some i get my home defense rifle back too.

one thing I did with mine was install an ambi safety and a magpul bad lever so I can close bolts or take safeties off for him if I end up sitting on his right. We used the 62gr federal fusions, i think we took 6 deer with them, all fell within 75 yards if not right on the spot.
Posted By: JPro Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
My local shop has the 62 Fusions on the shelf. That's probably how I'd roll also if having a kid shoot deer at close range with factory ammo. Sounds like they worked well for you guys.

I'd also put a soft pad on the AR for the kid, not that the 223 jolts that much, but it tones down the transmission of the pulse to the shoulder. Insulates it a bit.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/19/22
I started my son elk hunting with a 243 ten years ago and it appears they’ll have to pry that rifle from his cold, dead hands…….
Posted By: Dre Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/20/22
My 11 year old boy is also on the smalller side. He’s Strong but still on small side. ( 2nd shortest in his class)
Anyways he will be shooting the kimber hunter this year when he come elk hunting with me .

Last weekend we loaded up some 130 game changers, Reduced loads. Right now 38 grains of big game
Made a 20 rd box to see how he likes it. He was ringing 8” gong at 200 yards of the bench. He said I can go up in charge a little if I want. so I’m Thinking maybe a grain more, Hoping 39 grains be around 2700
He likes to shoot the tikka 223 and wants to try the cz 527 in 76239.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/21/22
Any 308 loaded with this and a can on the end, something they won't outgrow...Hornady Custom Lite Ammunition 308 Winchester 125 Grain SST Polymer Tip Box of 20
Posted By: 222ND Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/22/22
6x45 Rem 700 8 twist #1 contour Douglas barrel. Remington Tupperware stock shortened to 12” lop.

Attached picture 6A95B8DA-F810-4936-9F82-D1821528B190.png
Posted By: 222ND Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/22/22
[Linked Image]6.5x47 18” eight twist hart barrel. Barrel was originally a heavy varmint and was turned down to about a #3 contour. 40x repeater action and BDL stock. Photo is a once in a lifetime ND elk. My son drew it on his first try.

Attached picture EA4B8F9F-883A-4151-862A-50BD7210C21F.jpeg
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Perfect kids gun - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I went with a M7, rebarreled to 223AI 1/8 at 21" in mt contour. Finished/bedded a Bansner M7 stock with 12.5" LOP which ended up being around 19 oz. Went through a few different ring/mounts/scopes but finally stuck with using Burris XTB bases with Ken Farell rings to get the scope as low as possible. Also tried a Manners EH8 for the higher comb but the grip was a bit more open and this didn't help.

Eventually picked up an MDT LSS chassis for the M7 and let them shoot it a lot in the off season. Unless they're shooting offhand and need the lighter rifle, I think the chassis is hard to beat even during hunting season.

Were I doing it now, with hunting as the focus, I'd go with the Howa Carbon stalker mini in 6.5 Grendel and probably pick up an LSS chassis for it as well.

A couple of things that were helpful that it took me a while to catch on to:
Neoprene stock stickers or beartooth comb kit to raise comb - this and low mount height can help a kid out. Short LOP is the obvious and everyone thinks about it, but cheekweld can still be lacking. Their face ain't as fat as ours.
Using a slim grip on the chassis. Kids hands and fingers ain't ours. A slim/vertical grip helps them with trigger pull.

I went with the moe-k one the last chassis 6.5 mini. The grip fits him well. I just put a lighter weight carbon bipod on the front too. Just haven't seen a buck since the first few days. I thought about letting him use my ar with the red dot but I think I need to stick with some magnification in this area. It's got a lot of wide open sage and things are rarely really close. I want him to be able to see antlers so he doesn't shoot the wrong one. I've got to get him rabbit hunting a bunch before next year.

I went from age 14 to age 28 before I ever missed a shot on big game. I had the fortune to grow up hunting lots of rabbits so field shooting deer seemed easy. I've let my kid down by not getting him out shooting more. Try as I might to get the right gun nothing beats trigger time. Hope to be out again Tuesday because the hunt ends this month.

I broke out the Adirondack in 300 bo and got some 110 Barnes because it's such a light weight little rifle. Unfortunately it doesn't feed from the mag worth a crap. I've tried to tune the mag spring but the back ends still keep bobbing low. May have to put out the bat signal for stick. He probably knows how to tune a kimber mag box.

Bb
© 24hourcampfire