Home
Posted By: Travis13 Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/25/22
I’ve got a 24” 308 coming and was wondering if any of you have chopped one down to 18”-20”? How did it help with handling and weight? It also states that factory thread pattern is 1/2x28. Is that correct? Thanks
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/26/22
I've cut down 3 or 4 24" V2 barrel to 20". Made them a little shorter, but no much lighter. You're never mistake a cut-down V2 for a Kimber Hunter. I'm not a suppressor guy, so have no idea what the thread specs are.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by Travis13
It also states that factory thread pattern is 1/2x28. Is that correct? Thanks

It could be, but it shouldn't be an issue. You're going to cut off the threads anyway. You can thread it 1/2X28 and use a muzzle brake or thread adapter if you need to get to 5/8X24.
Posted By: SKane Re: Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by Travis13
I’ve got a 24” 308 coming and was wondering if any of you have chopped one down to 18”-20”? How did it help with handling and weight? It also states that factory thread pattern is 1/2x28. Is that correct? Thanks

If it's a sporter contour, it's 1/2x28.
And, yeah, I'd chop it regardless if using a suppressor or not.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/26/22
We have a 6 creedmoor Howa from the brownells sell a couple years ago. Chopped that one to 17” and threaded 1/2. Works like a charm.

Edit to say balance is perfect in a McMillan Hunter (Sako hunter) and a 20oz scope and lighter weight suppressor. It’s a harvestor EVO but don’t recall weight off hand.
Posted By: SKane Re: Vanguard Barrel Trim? - 10/26/22
Originally Posted by Kaleb
It’s a harvestor EVO but don’t recall weight off hand.

11oz. Currently waiting on one. blush
© 24hourcampfire