Home
anyone have any experiences with either one of these? Can't decide which one to get.
the sako.. cant warm to the UL stock or the action.. tried em' and cant do it..... for the money you can roll your own the whole way.. but you knew that..........

woofer
caliber?

woofer
Sako hands down. I had one of the Weatherby's not a bad rifle but not in the same class as far as accuracy and function goes as the 2 M-75 Finnlites I have. The construction of the Weatherby stock is maybe the only thing I would consider superior to the Sako. In shape and every other way it's Sako IMHO..................................DJ
Originally Posted by woofer
caliber?

woofer

thinking of a .270 for deer and maybe a .300 win or 30-06 for elk.
Get a tikka T3 Lite put the $600 you saved into the glass.I doubt the sako will shoot any better than the Tikka and heck it's made by Sako anyways...grin
I have a Wby Ultralight in 270wby. Shoots VERY well with loads it likes(i.e. 140gr TSX with RL22.) Handles well, easy to shoot, easy to carry.
I have never fired a Sako.
I've not owned an Ultralight, but have owned several MarkV and Vanguard Wbys. The best being a German made(Sauer)300Wby. The Vanguards are great for the money, and the actions are better IMHO. The Finnlight is superior to all of them in every way, although mine is a 75, not an 85.....
I have and love a M5 Accumark Lightweight in 30-06. I had and could not tolerate a M5 Ultralight in 300 WbyM. I'm a big guy and still found the gun to be practically uncontrollable. If you buy one in 300wm plan on getting a muzzle brake. Better still, if it was me, I wouldn't get one at all. Look on the Weatherby web site if you want. I think they are advertising the M5 lightweights again. A 270 or 3006 in that rifle with a good scope would make you one happy camper I believe.
mountain.. budget? glass in hand? "AND" a 30-06... welcome to the fire.. pull that checkbook right up here grin

i dont mind recoil but neither of the guns you chose strike me as a great platform for the 300 win.. been beat up by that one to much.. could be just me.... bank the cash for the second one and get the 270.... we can spend the extra later right here....

woofer
Sako. Regards, Rick.
Ive owned both. I wasnt impressed with eithers accuracy. For feel I like the mk v ulw Not to take anything away from the finnlight, about the only drawback to the sako is the mounting system I never could find one that looked secure and I could get low enough for a good cheek weld. I tried the leupold system,it was low enough but it looked too flimsy. So Id go MK V for this reason. p. s. I said Ive owned both ( NOT! ) My sako was a mod 75 finnlight not an 85 but the scope mounting systems should be the same. good luck!
Accuracy is not a question with Sako's. They have a guaranteed accuracy of 5 shots into 1" at 100yds. If you haven't got as good of accuracy it very well could be loose scope mounts (especially with Leupold mounts), wrong ammo, shooting technique, etc................................DJ
dj,

Please enlighten me, whats wrong w/Leupold mounts for SAKO? I just acquired another 75 Finn (.270) and have Leupold mounts yet to be installed.

mtntop,

The 75 Finnlights I have used all had better triggers and were much more consistant in their accuracy than the Weatherbys. I agree the Weatherby's have a better stock and the 24" barrel works better with certain calibers but you seem to have to limit yourself (& search to find) to certain loads to maintain an acceptable accuracy level.

elkjaeger

Please enlighten me, whats wrong w/Leupold mounts for SAKO? I just acquired another 75 Finn (.270) and have Leupold mounts yet to be installed.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/854375/site_id/1#import
Originally Posted by elkjaeger
dj,

elkjaeger

I tried 2 sets on a 300 Weatherby and a 375 H&H Model 70. Both slipped and wouldn't hold zero. I tightened them with a calibrated inch pound torque wrench and installed them correctly and they still slipped. They also don't have a recoil stop pin that will allow them to be taken off and return to zero. They also can scratch your scope which Optilocks don't do. They can mount a scope lower than Optilocks which is maybe their only advantage other than cost.
I have 1 set left on a 223 for for a light recoiling rifle they will be OK, until I get around to replacing them with Optilocks.......................DJ
DJ the newer Leupold Sako Bases look like Sako dupes except hey use Leupold DD rings. They don't have the plastic liner but all in all they look a lot better then the older version which is nonusable in a heavy kicker.

Oh well getting back on the subject SAKO over any Weatherby MKV
Oldelkhunter, I haven't seen those. Do they have a recoil stop pin like the Opti's?....................DJ
Leupold mounts for Sako rifles

DJ here they are and it was tough finding them since Leupold doesn't have a picture or description on their website. If you notice they also have a Sako type price and they have a stop pin grin
Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen them on the Leupy website either.
Those aren't Dual Dovetail but the post type Quick release rings which IMO is even better. They are the QR's vs the QRW's.
Those might be worth a try I think I still have some low Post-style Leupy QR rings......................DJ
My error must have DD on the mind grin
I have handled both recently. They both feel good. I like Sako a lot, but I still cannot believe they charge $1350 for a gun with an injected plastic stock.

The Weatherby Mark V comes with a B&C Medalist which is much better in my opinion. Both were very light, but the Weatherby had a longer barrel too. Not a big fan of a 20" barrel that they put on the Sakos.

I would get the Weatherby...otherwise you are going to have $2000 into the Sako once you put a real stock on it (McMillan).
Believe me DJ ALL sakos wont shoot a 1 inch or less 3 shot group at 100yds. ( Yes I know about their gaurantee ) Ive owned 5 centerfire sakos 1 491 in 708, 3 75s in 308, and one 75 in 3006 while three of the rifles would live up to the accuracy guarantee 2 would not. I used the opti-loc system as the leupolds were junk. I never could find an opti-loc that would mount the scope low enough ( very uncomfortable it was like I had my scope on see- thru rings they were so high. ) I think I could have lowered the scope some with bright blue opti-locs but 4 of my rifles were stainless and this would have looked unacceptable. Dont get me wrong, Im not tootin the weatherby horn either Ive owned many weatherbys and as Im sure you know they have their little accuracy guarantee too (3 shots 1 1/2 inches 100 yds ) and while most would live up to this guarantee some would not ( especially the Ultralights ) with some bedding work most will shoot much better ( so Im told. ) But who wants to have to do bedding work on a brand new 1400.00 rifle?
Actually 547 Sako M-75 and M-85's are guaranteed to shot 5 shot groups at 100yds, or more specifically they must do so before they leave the factory. Tikka's have a 3 shot at 100yds guarantee. If you don't acheive the same results at least the rifle has done so before and should do so again given proper ammo, scope setup, range setup and shooting skill........................DJ
Your right DJ it is a 5 shot group at 100yds for the Sako. Something must have happened on the boat ride over to my rifles because Im sure some Finn guy made it a point to ensure that my rifles would live up to the accuracy guarantee.
I have used Three sako finnlights , two in 270wsm and one in .708 , all three shot 3/8 inch and are superb guns , only downfall i have found with all three is that they get small rust spots on the stainless when used in the wet . I have only owned one ultralight weatherby that was in 7mmwby mag and that thing was a proper dog , the stock although probably made out of better materials than the sako , recoiled terribly , instead of coming into the shoulder it jumped . it shot like crap . in theory it should be a great gun but in actual mine didnt "suck" .
I have a 75 Finnlite and a Weatherby V SPM. I'd go Sako without thinking twice about it. I can't give you a single thing I like better on the Weatherby than the Sako including the stock. As a matter of fact, don't get me started on that subject!!! Get the Sako 85...I plan to make a future trade myself... grin
Im fond of the trim 6 lug MkV action. I used to have the shorter 224mag version,it was amazingly accurate.
The only thing IM not fond of on Weatherby ultra is stock shape. Id really like to know if McMillan can do something in an EDGE classic shape, to suite that receiver.
Like both, but the Sako is the NEXT on my list. The 85 hunter model though. Nice looking rifle!! The Finnlight will be pretty darn sharp I bet.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Damn good lookin rifle my man! ( Im jealous )..............547.
I really think rifles are like alot of things You can get a good one or a bad one in any name brand. Ive had a little of both in just about all the major brands.
OCC see a problem with that der 85..
A. Not a remington
B. Not bedded in a McSwirly
C. No Leupold on it
D. uses optilock rings

grin

Other then that I would buy it in a NY Minute
It's not mine, but I'm lookin' for one. I got those pics off the net. The CZ 6.5X55 thread has me wonderin' if the Sako in said caliber would be a dandy.
$ for the wooded sako?

woofer
$1200+
It's not mine, but I'm lookin' for one. I got those pics off the net. The CZ 6.5X55 thread has me wonderin' if the Sako in said caliber would be a dandy.

Very nice gun indeed
For an ultralight rifle I'd go Weatherby. Longer barrel and better balanced compared to the Finnlight. The skinny barrel is harder to get to shoot but they can.
However, if you want a standard weight rifle I'd go with Sako. Sakos feel better built, except that damn cheap plastic stock, and tend to shoot better. But they are not very light.
© 24hourcampfire