Home
The blued walnut versions. Anybody got a list of all the different chamberings?
280rem, 7x57, 270, 30-06 for sure

I wanna say a 257 Bob as well
I just found completed auctions in 7mm08 so add that one.
I have one in .223AI. It’s in a walnut mountain rifle stock anyway.
I know 7mm-08 and .260 were among them but I had never seen .308 until recently and a couple have popped up.
I know the .257 Roberts was one and so was the .280. I passed up a Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts 22 years ago because I already owned a Bob. Back then I thought I wouldn't own two rifles in the same chambering. I've never seen another one for sale since. Duh.

In 1998 I ordered a .280 in the walnut Mountain Rifle but the BDL model turned up instead. I should of sent it back and got the Mountain rifle but I was young and keen so kept the BDL. Another duh moment. And again, I've never seen one for sale since.
243, 308, 25-06, 7x57, 270, 280, 30-06, 260, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08
I have the 280 and 270 models. I thought the 280 was going to be hard to find when I got it, but there is actually quite a few that come up for sale.
I have laid eyes on all of them but a 25-06.
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I know 7mm-08 and .260 were among them but I had never seen .308 until recently and a couple have popped up.

I don't think that the blued/walnut 700 MRs were made in 260, but the LSS and TI versions were.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't think that the blued/walnut 700 MRs were made in 260, but the LSS and TI versions were.

I have a walnut blued 260 mountain rifle with dbm.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have always made it a point to ignore all of the 700s with DMs.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have always made it a point to ignore all of the 700s with DMs.

Makes sense

Here's a. 308.

[Linked Image]
Have a 280 and a 7mm/08.
Originally Posted by haazrob
I have laid eyes on all of them but a 25-06.
My buddy has the .25-06 and was the first one I got my hands on and fell in love with the way those rifles feel.

The blued/walnut Mtn rifles were discontinued after 1992 which was before the 260 was introduced. There is no 260 listed and I have all the M700 paper catalogs.

243W
25-06Rem
257R
270W
280Rem
7mm-08
7x57
30-06
308W
Not all of these were offered every year. When first introduced I believe they were only offered in 270, 280, and 06.

edited to add: I forgot about the DBM's.
I'd like to find one in 7x57 first and .280 Rem. next but not at scalper's prices.
PJ
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I'd like to find one in 7x57 first and .280 Rem. next but not at scalper's prices.
PJ
Like everything, they’ve fallen back to earth. Have seen some good buys on them recently.
Anybody got one in .308 they would like to sell?
I'd consider trading my pre-64 M70 Featherweight 30'06 for one as well.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by PJGunner
PJ
Like everything, they’ve fallen back to earth. Have seen some good buys on them recently.

Last two months I've talked to a number of people in the retail gun biz and they have all said firearms and everything related to them, and outdoor stuff in general, has slowed down considerably.

Who knows, there may LR primers available by the case before Christmas....... laugh

Yep.

Speaking of …

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955958583

Yep.

Speaking of …

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955958583
Seen that earlier! If it was a 7mm-08 I’d have it or at least place a solid bid. Rite now I have an itch for a wood blued .308
How much heavier is the LSS?

With the laminated beam screwed to them?—A lot heavier! Think varmint weight.

The laminated stock on a skinny bbl “mountain rifle” has got to be the most inexplicable thing Remington ever did to the M700.

They also offered a BDL laminated with the sporter weight bbl.
The mountain LSS stock is nearly 40 oz. But if you drop it in a ti takeoff (faux gander mountain guide) or lightweight brown/bansner/micky … it’s awfully nice.
I wouldn't say they're varmint weight. Mt son's mnt ls in .30-06 weighs 7.25lbs with scope and leupold mounts.
I have a 7mm/08 Mountain Rifle myself. Far more accurate than a "skinny barrel" should be! Absolutely loves 160 gr Sierra's!
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

With the laminated beam screwed to them?—A lot heavier! Think varmint weight.

The laminated stock on a skinny bbl “mountain rifle” has got to be the most inexplicable thing Remington ever did to the M700.

They also offered a BDL laminated with the sporter weight bbl.

Ergonomics wise, the 700 LSS-MR stock is my co-favorite factory installed wood stock, the other being the post-'64 70 Featherweight stock. I don't know that I've ever weighed one of them, but I probably have 20 or so with barreled actions installed, remnants of my 700 parts gun building spree that ran from 2004 thru 2011. I also have several of them in both long and short actions on the shelf in case I ever go on another one of the building/buying sprees.

At one time, I was putting the 700 LSS-MR barreled actions in 700 Ti stocks, Big Sticks' "faux-Ti" configuration. It's kinda funny that 20 years ago $900 seemed like a lot of money to spend on a factory specs rifle and now, at least in some cases, it seems like a better than average deal. Who knew?

EDIT: Page 84 of the 2005 Remington catalog has the weight specs for the 700 DM-MR and the 700 LSS-MR listed as being the same, 6 1/2 lbs. for the short action and 6 5/8 lbs. for the long action. The 1990 Remington catalog lists the weight of the 700 MR as being 6 3/4 lbs. in both action lengths.
The mountain LSS stock is nearly 40 oz. But if you drop it in a ti takeoff (faux gander mountain guide) or lightweight brown/bansner/micky … it’s awfully nice.

I’ve talked a couple owners into doing just that!

Even a tupperware stock properly bedded with bbl clearance is an improvement.

The M700 laminated stock Mtn rifle is among the damndest oxymorons I’ve ever ran across in the rifle world.
No argument from me about the ergonomics or the pleasure of shooting the LSS from the bench. But there is no mistaking which rifle is in which gun case when I pick up the LSS.

I owned a 30-06 for while but already have a faux mtn rifle in 30-06AI.
No argument from me about the ergonomics or the pleasure of shooting the LSS from the bench. But there is no mistaking which rifle is in which gun case when I pick up the LSS.

My "mountain rifles" have been CLRs or the faux-Tis, but I do carry a heavier rifle when hunting elk in black timber, a 7600 pump gun in 270 for those times when a quick 2nd or 3rd shot could make a difference.

I had a 700 DM parts gun in 260 for awhile, but loaned it to the DCE from my church and when he moved, he took it with him, saying that he thought that it was a gift rather than a loan.

700 BDL-SS-DM action, 700 LSS-MR barrel, and 700 MR-DM walnut stock. It was a fairly attractive rifle, the stainless contrasting nicely with the walnut. I put it together from left over parts from other builds and had intended to give it to my sort of adopted brother, but it went to a different home. I like to think that his daughters, Hope, Charity, and Grace punch their first tags with it.

My "mountain rifles" have been CLRs or the faux-Tis, but I do carry a heavier rifle when hunting elk in black timber, a 7600 pump gun in 270 for those times when a quick 2nd or 3rd shot could make a difference.

I had a 700 DM parts gun in 260 for awhile, but loaned it to the DCE from my church and when he moved, he took it with him, saying that he thought that it was a gift rather than a loan.

700 BDL-SS-DM action, 700 LSS-MR barrel, and 700 MR-DM walnut stock. It was a fairly attractive rifle, the stainless contrasting nicely with the walnut. I put it together from left over parts from other builds and had intended to give it to my sort of adopted brother, but it went to a different home. I like to think that his daughters, Hope, Charity, and Grace punch their first tags with it.

Next time you loan a rifle carve your name in the stock!

Although laminated wood may not lend itself to carving—kinda tough on the tools……..
© 24hourcampfire