Home
Posted By: Tinemaster Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
Just purchased a new Kimber 84 mountain rifle in 308 win. Using my handholds 165 gr Speer grand slam and win 748 powder gun is a beast on paper. I am very impressed with the rifle light and shoots great. topped it off with a leupold varyx3i 4.5x14x40 with CDS dial.First tupperwear rifle I've owned in a while for hunting deer I do have some varment Tupperware guns kinda like the old school wood to be honest but for foul nasty weather and long walks I believe I found my match.This is the first Kimber rifle I've ever owned I own several of there handguns and have always been happy with there products
Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
Which rifle?
Posted By: Oakster Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
I have been using more and more light rifles and have mostly gone away from the wood, for quality, light rifle products. Most Kimber rifles would have better than a"tupperware" stock on them, but maybe not all. My Montana's and Mountin Ascent have great composite stocks. My Tikka's are probably fairly considered tupperware, but they are pretty decent.
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
Having read many horror stories about Kimber rifles I kind of dismissed getting one even though I liked the weight and features. Last year a buddy sold me a Mtn. Ascent 280AI that shoots 1/2" groups with 2 different handloads using 140 Berger and 162 ELD-X bullets.

I recently traded a Marlin lever for a NIB Hunter Pro Desolve Blak in 6.5 manbun which also shoots 1/2" groups with Barnes 127 LRX bullets.

Neither rifle has had any issues at all. I'm happy with both of mine!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
Assuming you mean a "Montana"?
Great rifles. I have a couple woodstocked rifles, but they never make it out. I prefer to grab my Montana 7mm-08 instead.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/14/22
I have owned at least 15 different Kimber rifles and only had 1 dud the rest were outstanding rifles in every way 👍......I will buy more if Kimber ever decides to start back with rifle production other than the Hunter model......Hb
Posted By: boatammo Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I've also had 1 Dud out of over a dozen. The wood was so great I had a lilja tube put on and really like it.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I've had/have eight Kimbers and all but one shoot very well and that one took a hundred rounds [22-250] to settle down.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I have just one, and it shoots great. It's an 84M in 308 Winchester.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Assuming you mean a "Montana"?
Great rifles. I have a couple woodstocked rifles, but they never make it out. I prefer to grab my Montana 7mm-08 instead.

Same here. I have three Kimber 84Ms. My 7-08 Montana has become my go-to the last 4 years or so. Another Montana in .257 Roberts is my antelope/blacktail gun. I recently acquired a Classic Select in 7-08 just a couple of months ago that hasn't been bloodied yet, but like the others, shoots 3/4-1" very consistently. More importantly, each puts the first cold bore shot exactly to POA. Only a sampling of 3, but I've really come to like these short, light and handy rifles.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I’m assuming it’s a hunter since he just bought it new. Anyone seen a new Montana 308 recently?
Possible, but I’ll play the odds.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I was once considering a custom rifle and made a list of features that I wanted:
Light weight, no damned floor plate, CRF, stainless, synthetic stock, MUST FIT ME!
I couldn't begin to build one for the price of the Montana and once I carried my 338 Federal, I knew I needed a 270.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
Bought a brand new Montana 84-L .30-06 this past March, shop said it was from the factory. Only one as they had no other 84-M’s or L’s.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Bought a brand new Montana 84-L .30-06 this past March, shop said it was from the factory. Only one as they had no other 84-M’s or L’s.
I’m sure there are a few still working their way through the system, but I thought the most recent was they were waiting on the new stocks? Either way, nice score. What color was/is the stock?
Posted By: beretzs Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/15/22
I just got my first 7-08 Montana... A ton of rifle for the money.. Wondering why I waited so darned long.

Waiting on AKW to come off of one of them sweetheart 7 WSM Montana's to make room for his 7 PRCs whistle
Posted By: Tinemaster Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/16/22
the model is a 84M hunter pro Desolve black
Posted By: EdM Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m assuming it’s a hunter since he just bought it new. Anyone seen a new Montana 308 recently?

Interestingly (I think), I picked up a NIB Kimber Subalpine 30-06 in July at a large store (North 40 Outfitters) in north Idaho. Seems they quit making that rifle a few years ago replacing it with the Mountain Ascent? I do recall it being there the summer before but already with a 270 Montana I passed. Given the current situation with Kimber I "pulled the trigger" and bought it for $1400. It is scoped but I have not yet shot it.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by Tinemaster
the model is a 84M hunter pro Desolve black

Those are nice. If I didn't have my montanas, I'd pick one of those up.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/16/22

Yep, I thought he meant new to him.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/16/22
Originally Posted by Poconojack
I’m sure there are a few still working their way through the system, but I thought the most recent was they were waiting on the new stocks? Either way, nice score. What color was/is the stock?

Moss green stock
Posted By: Tinemaster Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/17/22
stock is a grayish Camo kinda looks digital but its not digital Camo defiantly a pretty rifle so light I can't believe it
Both my Montanas were OS NIB four years ago.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Kimber 84 mountain - 11/17/22
Yeah know... A 5lb 9oz rifle for a little over $800 USD is tough to beat. If only they would put the bolt on the correct side....
© 24hourcampfire