Home
Posted By: Soup Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
Fellows,
I'm wondering if anyone hunts deer or coyotes with a No.1?
If you do what model and caliber?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Good hunting to those still in the woods and Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Semper Fidelis
Soup
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
I’m partial to the 1A in 30-06 for a woods gun. It’s served me well and I think it’s pretty sexy as well. Not overweight and it handles well. Reasonably good accuracy as well.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
Originally Posted by Soup
Fellows,

Semper Fidelis
Soup

I do. A #1V in .223 usually from a stand for coyotes. Too heavy to just pack around. Sometimes a #1A in .243, or a B in .257 Robt. I've hunted deer with a #1B in 30-06 and elk with a B in .300 Win. Mag. Haven't done much in the last three years due to health problems. I also use a Browning B78 in 30-06.
PJ
Posted By: scoony Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
I will use a Ruger no 3 in 223 from time to time for deer. Have taken one deer with it so far. I finished a custom no 1 in 6 cm that will will hunt with next year.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
I’ve hunted with a No. 1S in 30-06. Basically a 1A with a longer/slightly heavier barrel. I like to hunt with open sights sometimes. Might as well be a single shot too.

However, I wouldn’t mind a No. 1AH in 25-06. Saw one and it kind of looked cool. Lighter barrel and slimmer in the fore-end than a No. 1B.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
Ruger #1 RSI 7x57 for deer, very short and excellent tree stand gun.
Posted By: Soup Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
Thank you all for your prompt replies.
Keep them coming !
Soup
Posted By: Fotis Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/19/22
Ruger 25-06 AI 1:7 rpm

https://imgur.com/a/Fv3uFnU
Posted By: Elvis Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
I have three.

1A in 7x57, 6x36 Leupold, 140gn Woodleigh PP
1A in .303, NECG aperture sight, 174gn Hornady RN
1S in 9.3x62, 4x33 Leupold, 250gn Woodleigh PP

I've taken deer, pigs and foxes with all of them.
Posted By: Astrodynamicist Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
I hunt with a No. 1. Have taken mule deer with the RSI in 7x57, 1A in 30-06, and 1A in 7x57. I took a whitetail with a 1A in 6x5x55. I will be hunting whitetail in two weeks with a 1A in 257 Roberts. Have also taken pronghorn with 1As in 6x5x55 and 6.5-06. The 1A is as fine a carrying rifle as you can find in my opinion, with the RSI as good or better, especially in the mountains. My favorite has to be the 6x5x55 1A - my "if I could only have one" rifle.
Posted By: JRK Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
Bought a 1A 270 when I was 14. Read too many gun mags (early loonie-ism), a lot of Sundra, decided it was the rifle for me. (Based on said reading wanted a 280 found a used 270). Primary deer rifle for most of my hunting life, have killed about 60 with it and an elk. Added a 1s 300 wm for elk have killed 8 with it, all with 1 accubond. Have recently been using a few other things as well. 270 hates monos...

If you start with a 1a ( I did hunt 2 yrs with a win 94 1st) it does make most other rifles feel weirdly long and unwieldy).
Posted By: roundoak Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
1 B, 257 Roberts.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DollarShort Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
I dig the International and the little #3.

...of course I have neither.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
Fellows,

Semper Fidelis
Soup

7x57 1A has taken deer here in OK and pronghorn in WY. Longest kill was about 350yds IIRC

One of my hunting pards does the same with a .257 Roberts RSI.
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
I have been using a #1B in 3006, 3x9 Redfield since 1990
Posted By: Farming Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
That pic wreaks classic rifle cartridge combination. I had a 1B in 257 Roberts Shot some coyotes with it. I didn’t ever take it deer hunting, it was the most accurate #1 I ever owned. Traded it away for something I thought I had to have. Wished I hadn’t!
Originally Posted by roundoak
1 B, 257 Roberts.
Posted By: lastround Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
I bought a 1B in 270 45 years ago, and never shot it. Traded it off for my first S&W Model 29. No regrets. I bought a Number 3 in 223 and shot it a lot. I do have regrets that I don’t still own that one.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
Fellows,

Semper Fidelis
Soup

I have done both with #1s Coyotes with a .243and a .222

Deer with a 7x57....all were Model #1-A
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
No.1B in 6mm Rem and .280 Rem, killed deer with both
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
Originally Posted by Farming
That pic wreaks classic rifle cartridge combination. I had a 1B in 257 Roberts Shot some coyotes with it. I didn’t ever take it deer hunting, it was the most accurate #1 I ever owned. Traded it away for something I thought I had to have. Wished I hadn’t!
Originally Posted by roundoak
1 B, 257 Roberts.

My #1B in .257 Robt. is very accurate. When I bought it at a gun shot it came with six boxes of Norma with the 100 gr. bullet. I took it and one box of ammo to the range and WOW, .50" from the get go. I've run a few reloads through it at the range and on varmints using various 100 gr. bullets but none have come close to that Norma load. I still have five of those boxes plus four left over rounds from the sixth box. Waiting to see if I draw a deer hunt sometime down the road. I've noticed that Norma doesn't show the .257 in their listings anymore. Too bad as it was a damn fine load.
PJ
Posted By: snowboardguy Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/20/22
You may enjoy this.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...8/ruger-no-1-picture-thread#Post17661118
Posted By: mnimrod45 Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/21/22
Shot numerous coyotes in college with a #1B in .223 with 50 V-maxes. Haven't shot it much since.
Have a #1AH in 25-06 I use for late season blacktail in the timber as it's so light and handy because of the length. Killed my nicest blacktail with it.
A #1 Tropical in .375 H&H was my last elk rifle when hunting timber but haven't hunted elk in timber with a modern rifle in years.

Nothing wrong with the #1 for hunting other than some can be a bit finicky to shoot tiny groups but some do it out of the box. Most of us don't need tiny groups although I admit it's hard to not strive for itty bitty clusters.

#1's handle great and are shorter than comparable short actions because of not having that long action. Plus they are just cool.
Posted By: Fuelman Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/21/22
Yep, coyotes and ground hogs with 1v in .22-250, deer and bear with RSI 7x57, B .270bee, and S .460s&w. Really enjoy No1's, thinking a 1A would be the handiest, so always on the lookout for the right one. The .270 Weatherby made one of the most dramatic kills I've ever made, or maybe most violent, lol!
Posted By: Soup Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/21/22
Gentlemen,
You have renewed my faith!
I've got 3- No.1a .243 - 1V .22-250 & an RSI also in .243.
I finally got the 1a to shoot some MOA groups at 100 yards benched. Took perhaps 30 plus combinations of powder, brands and weight of bullets. I'm really happy it worked out. My intention is to use it for coyote hunting in PA using my data with the 65 V Max. IMR 4064 is the powder and I'm only moving about 3200 fps but that's ok for now. I did try a 100 grain Hornady for a deer load and it was pretty accurate but needs more work along with Nosler 90-95 BT
which Gale Root designed for the 10 twist .243.

Now I know there are a bunch of other No.1 hunters out there I'm more enthused than ever.

Thank you all for your great input. Let's see your hunting rigs and trophies.

Happy Thanksgiving
Semper Fidelis.
Soup
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
Coyotes, groundhogs, deer, mule deer, and elk have all fallen to my #1’s.

Left to right:

.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-06, 7 STW

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: irfubar Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
I have only owned 3 Ruger #1 , all 1 B's. They have all shot under MOA and have been wonderful rifles
Posted By: roundoak Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
Whoa, that is a nice lineup.
Posted By: 308ld Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
No.1 B 257 Roberts. 110 Accubond, Zeiss 3-9X40 MC

No.1 B, and No.1 A, both in 257 Roberts.

Posted By: ERK Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
I have killed a couple deer and coyotes with mine in 405 winchester. Drills a nice neat hole thru a deer for a good blood trail. Edk
Posted By: 308ld Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
Coyotes, groundhogs, deer, mule deer, and elk have all fallen to my #1’s.

Left to right:

.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-06, 7 STW

Doc_Holidude

Nice! The 7MM STW, stainless, laminate wood, No.1 B is one of a few guns that I regret selling.... Very nice!
Posted By: roundoak Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
Nice.
Posted By: Soup Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
TTT
Posted By: SS336 Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/22/22
I have never killed a coyote with my #1 but this 7x57 has killed a couple antelope and a few deer. This was a nice one, near Saratoga Wy in 1985.

Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/23/22
Wasn't coyote hunting at the time, but the 7x57 worked just the same.

Posted By: MedRiver Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/23/22
I have had a lot of number 1s flow through my gun room but never held onto one. Threads like this make me want to change that.
Posted By: odonata Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
#1A in 6.5x55 SE - Norma ammo w/ 140gr Nosler Partition - Schmidt & Bender 1.5-8x42 Stratos

RSI in .275 Rigby - Rigby ammo w/ 140gr Hornady Interlock SP - Leupold Custom Shop Big Bore 3x

#1A in 303 British - Hornady 150gr Interlock SP - Leupold 6x42

#1A in 9.3x74r - RWS 184gr Evolution Green - Swarovski z5 2.4-12x50

The last deer I shot was with the 303 British at 150 meters off my wrong shoulder. It’s nice that these rifles are ambidextrous! Sometimes I select a rifle based on where I’ll be hunting. Most of the time I’ll know the shot will be under 200 meters so I pick a rifle based on mood. They’ll all get the job done at that range.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
#1B - 30-06 - a few deer, a few coyotes, a couple of antelope, and several elk.
#1B - 220 Swift - many coyotes, including 3 out of 4 on 1 stand, and a few prairie dogs.
#3 - 22 K-Hornet - 1 antelope, a few coyotes, and many prairie dogs.
#3 -223 - nothing but paper, yet - giving me accuracy fits!
#1 Tropical - 375 H&H - nothing but paper, yet!

Maybe elks will let me go rabbit hunting with him.
Not sure, he might think I'm under-gunned! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
I have shot a pile of hogs, deer, and coyotes with my 1A 243 since 1978. Using either the old Hornady 100 grain Round Nose or Speer 85gr spitzer.

I also have a 60’s vintage 270, a 450 Nitro, and a 458 Win Mag #1.

Tony
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
Thanks 308ld. Don’t spose you’d want to give up that #1 A Bob? Would fit nicely in my lineup. What’s one more regret among a few others! LOL.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
Soup;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that this Thanksgiving weekend Sunday finds you well.

While I'm somewhat reluctant to post this rifle as it's now gone to a new owner, I did use it as my horse hunting rifle for a little over a decade. It's a .300 Win Mag that I made up a different fore end for, installed a Moyers trigger, made up a barrel tensioning tuner thing and finally a Gentry barrel band.

[Linked Image]

For years before that a good friend hunted coyotes and deer with a B78 in .25-06 and I shot at least one mulie buck with it as well.

The advantages of the B78 to me was that it was safer to carry in the mountains with a round in the chamber because of the hammer. That was somewhat offset by the narrowness of the action which meant one had to insert the cartridge either with the barrel pointing down or slide it in with a finger, as our thumbs were a tad thick and wouldn't seat the case into the chamber fully before getting hung up on the action.

The No 1 with it's side cut out allows the rounds to be thumbed all the way home very efficiently, so I always found follow up shots quicker with it, but that's likely a matter of time and use too.

Lastly on the No 1, I found that rifle extremely forgiving to shoot from field positions. Likely it was heavy enough and fit my build well enough, but I recall a couple times where I had to bail off the Appaloosa, flop down and shoot off an improvised rest that it worked faster than some other rifles I'd done that with.

All the best to you as we head into the Christmas season.

Dwayne
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/27/22
Wow! That’s a beautiful rifle and a great picture!
Posted By: Mtdogdreams Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/28/22
Like several posts have a 257 Bob in a 1B, circa 1985 manuf - nice wood and shoots well, great for both longer range yotes and mule deer
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/28/22
Currently two 1A's rotate through the line up: a Lipsey's Special 6.5x55 (129 Hornadys, 130 Bergers, and 139 Scenars - close your eyes and pick one), and a custom .250-3000 with Douglas barrel (any darn bullet you care to feed it works well, but mostly 87 Speers because I have a metric sh*t ton of them). In the past a 1B .223 that I plumb wore the barrel out on in the course of an illustrious groundhog hunting career (hah!) and a lot of willy-nilly bench shooting - the most accurate .223 I ever owned, until it wasn't.

I view #1's as elegant hunting rigs. They share space with a vintage bunch of dedicated target single shots - each gun has a specific purpose, and the Rugers fulfill my hunting needs with aplomb.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/28/22
My #1 is the 7mm STW. It has killed a couple bull elk, and traveled many many miles in the saddle scabbard.

I have had fantasies of owning a couple of 1Bs in lighter calibers, like a 204, and 6mm. But this thread took me to Gunbroker to check out the selection.

Holy Stickershock Batman! I paid $500 for the STW new at Sportsman's. But I guess it has been a few years.
Posted By: Cctx Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/28/22
I had one in a 22 hornet,, wish I would have never sold it!
Posted By: smallfry Re: Ruger No.1 - 11/28/22
Stainless 45-70
© 24hourcampfire