Home
Posted By: jorgeI BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/01/22
I've owned a few over the years, never could get them to break even 1.5" at best. I recently picked up at a good price an older, Belgian made in 300 Winchester. Started playing with loads using my"go to loads" of 180 Partitions , 75.5gr of RL-22 or 76 H831, both with Fed 210 Match primers and WW brass, but I had some Remington brass so on a whim, i tried them and this is what I got (RL-22 lower group)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So then, I saw Norma had their ammo on sale for 24 bucks/box, so what the hell and this is how they did:

Now I don't know how they'll hold up at 300 mag velocities on elk, but I think I got myself a good elk "timber rifle", but either way, I was pleasantly surprised.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
No surprise to me.

I've had a couple BAR's that would shoot that well.

And my current BAR 308 shoots the 150gr Norma Whitetail about like your rifle does.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I've owned a few over the years, never could get them to break even 1.5" at best. I recently picked up at a good price an older, Belgian made in 300 Winchester. Started playing with loads using my"go to loads" of 180 Partitions , 75.5gr of RL-22 or 76 H831, both with Fed 210 Match primers and WW brass, but I had some Remington brass so on a whim, i tried them and this is what I got (RL-22 lower group)

So then, I saw Norma had their ammo on sale for 24 bucks/box, so what the hell and this is how they did:

Now I don't know how they'll hold up at 300 mag velocities on elk, but I think I got myself a good elk "timber rifle", but either way, I was pleasantly surprised.

WOW!
Posted By: 257 roberts Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
I have a Browning Bar in 270 Win. that will do that with factory Winchester Power Point 130gr ammo if I do my part.....other than being a little heavy they are really nice guns
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
My 270 shoots lights out also.

It’s crazy.
Posted By: viking Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
My old 300 would shoot 5 shots into a group that could be covered by a Copenhagen can. I don’t recall the load other then 165 grain bullets.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
No surprise to me.

I've had a couple BAR's that would shoot that well.

And my current BAR 308 shoots the 150gr Norma Whitetail about like your rifle does.

I've been looking for an Belgian BAR in 308 for a while now... smile
Posted By: WMR Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
If it were a "timber rifle" why not use the NP load? Any load shooting under 2 MOA would seem to be fine on elk quite a ways out. I'd gladly give up some precision to have a stouter bullet for large game. Isn't a typical 150 grain slug at 300WM velocity just asking for trouble on close range elk?

Edited to add: I reread your post and maybe you are thinking of the NP load for elk. Actually, other than long range deer, I can't think of much use for a 300 with C&C 150's.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: BROWNING BAR SURPRISE - 12/02/22
Originally Posted by WMR
If it were a "timber rifle" why not use the NP load? Any load shooting under 2 MOA would seem to be fine on elk quite a ways out. I'd gladly give up some precision to have a stouter bullet for large game. Isn't a typical 150 grain slug at 300WM velocity just asking for trouble on close range elk?

Edited to add: I reread your post and maybe you are thinking of the NP load for elk. Actually, other than long range deer, I can't think of much use for a 300 with C&C 150's.

Completely agree. If you look, the RL-22 NP load is a bit under MOA.. I bought the Norma because it was cheap and plentiful and as you say, for deer and even hogs, will probably suffice.
© 24hourcampfire