Home
... bolts and triggers that can be field stripped and serviced in austere field conditions with minimal tools?
The Winchester Model 70.. Not sure about tearing the trigger apart, but the old trigger can be wiped down or dried off pretty easily.
I can say the Howa M1500 bolt assembly can be field stripped by hand in seconds with firing pin and spring removed. The HACT trigger can be dialed down to about 2 lbs and adjusted upward from there for desired pull. Today’s Howa M1500 action is well built and well thought out and been around in full force since 1975 when issued by Weatherby in their then Vanguard line. Howa barreled actions have been available for sale for the last 30-35 years. It use to be kind of a secret industry wise (their cost and accuracy) as their barreled actions cost about $200.00 some 35 years ago. Solid steel forgings with tight specs and tolerances and a bit more cartridge magazine room. Measuring about 2.88” on their std short action and 3.58” on the std magnum length. Just one perspective on one action and trigger rig.
Tikka T3

Since its based on the Sako TRG sniper rifle action, designed for Finnish Winter Warfare, its pretty reliable.
Mauser 98
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Mauser 98

Gonna need a dime and a small soft piece of cloth so you don't scratch the trigger guard wink

I'd have to say the Model 70 is the easiest. No tools required.
Win 70 easiest by far compared to Remington, Weatherby, Savage or Timney in my experience
Originally Posted by beretzs
The Winchester Model 70.. Not sure about tearing the trigger apart, but the old trigger can be wiped down or dried off pretty easily.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Though, I’m not certain about the newer ones……this was true with the New Haven Winchesters! memtb
Model 70's by far, but if you know what you're doing the Remington 700s aren't too tough to take apart. Just have to have a rock or something hard to hold the sear while you put pressure on it and twist it ....
A coin or a key or cartridge rim can be used to hold the firing pin in place.
I have the model 70, howa 1500, and the tikka...

I'd have to have the owners manual and reading glasses before I began tearing my rifle bolt apart.
For sure the open trigger M70 and the Ruger M77 MKII/Hawkeye.
I cannot think of another rifle that the bolt disassembly and trigger access is an easier than the Winchester Model 70 with the original open style trigger.

drover
1903 Springfield and 98 Mauser are easier than a 70.
Mauser 98, 03 or 03-A3, pre-64 Winchester 70, Model 30 Remington, 1917 or 1914 Enfields, and the SMLE are all pretty easy. Not sure if I could rank them in order. There are many other with open triggers or with “military” style triggers.
Enclosed triggers like most present rifles make cleaning triggers in the field difficult.

The military triggers were designed for field cleaning.

Taking the bolt apart - I think the Mauser 98, 1914 or 1917 Enfields, the 03 & 03-A3 are easier than almost any civilian rifle except maybe the Model 30 Remington and likely other military rifles.
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada

Please elaborate.

Model 70= safety in middle position, remove bolt from action, depress keeper and unscrew (Counter clockwise) firing pin/ spring assy. from bolt body. 10 seconds.

Mauser 98= Cock action, hook firing pin on something solid and pull back, insert dime or small washer in between shroud and bolt body.
No way that's easier than a 70.
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Originally Posted by ElkHtrNevada

Please elaborate.

Model 70= safety in middle position, remove bolt from action, depress keeper and unscrew (Counter clockwise) firing pin/ spring assy. from bolt body. 10 seconds.

Mauser 98= Cock action, hook firing pin on something solid and pull back, insert dime or small washer in between shroud and bolt body.
No way that's easier than a 70.

The original Mauser flag safety allowed an easy a disassembly of the bolt as a M70, but of course it's not compatible with a scope.
I have 3 position M70 style safeties on several Mauser, but that is a custom feature
Originally Posted by Sheister
Model 70's by far, but if you know what you're doing the Remington 700s aren't too tough to take apart. Just have to have a rock or something hard to hold the sear while you put pressure on it and twist it ....

Field-expedient method would be to use a bootlace to pull back the firing pin head.
As others have said, this is where the old Model 70's really shine.
Win M70, Marlin XR7, Kimber are all VERY easy.
M27 IAR whistle
Originally Posted by Sandlapper
Originally Posted by Sheister

Field-expedient method would be to use a bootlace to pull back the firing pin head.

Never tried that method, but now I know.... thanks...
Yeah, it's pretty easy to do if you're wearing appropriate footwear.

M70s for certain, but I have a custom FN that works the same way with its M70-type safety. Howas are also easy. 98s are easy, if they have the 3-position safety, but few sporters do. Still, the dime trick isn’t too hard to master, but you need something to press against.

Any rifle with a box trigger is going to be subject to trouble. The three 98s I have that can be hunted all have single-stage military types with lighter springs.
Originally Posted by duke61
Win 70 easiest by far compared to Remington, Weatherby, Savage or Timney in my experience

Howa is easier to break down then the Model 70 if all you want to do is remove firing pin assembly from bolt body on both rifles.

You can remove and break a Mark V bolt down with no tools even removing the firing pin spring.
The 03 Springfield bolt is every bit as easy to dismount, perhaps a tad easier, as a M70 bolt. Speaking as someone who's messed with both of them for five decades.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Mauser 98

THIS
Easiest I've ever found was a 6.5 Japanese Arisaka. A push with the palm of my hand and a slight twist and the bolt came apart. The Winchester M70s were a little more complicated in comparison.
PJ
Found a video of Tikka T3..

Also one where you swap out bolt handle..

I've owned most of the rifles promoted above but in my experience the absolute easiest and best bolt disassembly is found on the Brno ZKK 600 series bolts. Push in a button on the side of the shroud, then lift the bolt handle and remove the bolt, then unscrew the firing pin/shroud assembly. Very slick and easy. The triggers on those ZKK rifles, if the single, non-set trigger is installed, is certainly as simple to inspect and clean as a Model 70. Too bad so few USA hunters have experience with this wonderful design. I really like them.
Steyr männlicher has a button on the shroud and it comes apart easily as well.

Tikka requires a Allen key or a small screwdriver to disassemble the bolt.
To further my vote for the Springfield I just now timed myself. From the moment I flipped the safety into the middle upright position and flipped down the magazine cutoff/bolt release switch to when I put it back together and re-inserted the bolt into the receiver and snapped the trigger on an empty chamber, 12 seconds transpired, which included pushing in the locking detent and unscrewing the striker from the bolt body and then screwing it back in. Bet I could get it down to 9-10 seconds if the Huns were on the verge of over running my trench.
© 24hourcampfire