Home
Posted By: 260Remguy 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/07/22
The first 35 REM ammo that I've seen on dealers' shelves for about 3 years. New Winchester ammo priced at $54 per box, ouch! When I see factory ammo prices these days it makes me feel old and I catch myself thinking "I remember when .......". Cabela's has Federal 30-30 ammo that sold for $17 prior to COVID priced at $30, but at least the guy with a 30-30 can buy factory ammo, while the guy with a 32 WS is, and has been for awhile, just SOL.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/07/22
Very little hunting ammo under $30 a box nowadays.
30-30 at Wal-Mart is the only sub-$30 hunting ammo I can think of seeing recently at a brick and moetar. Sometimes 06 is right around $30. Online there is lots of sub-$30 ammo.
Posted By: JPro Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/07/22
There is no cheap 35Rem ammo to be had anywhere anymore. Local shop had some 200gr roundnose last season at $45 with a one box limit. It was gone in no time. I like the Hornady FTX loads and they've been MIA for a couple years now.
Does anyone load TSX for 35 Rem like the 30-30? My 336 wouldn't group the LeverEvolution but loves 150 TSX.
Can 30 and 25 Remington have the necks expanded to make the 35?
Not without some regret but I sold this very nice JM Marlin .35 Rem. because of ammo availability or lack thereof. To many other choices for the Michigan deer woods.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Don’t think so but there was someone on Castboolits that made 35 REM from .308 brass.
I actually passed on a nice Remington 141 a couple months ago because I couldn't locate 35 Rem ammo anywhere
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
No. Different head size
Posted By: Mull Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
I Seen it Few Weeks Ago at The Local Flea Market
.This Has Been The Only 35 I've Seen In a Year or So.. 5 Boxs Of Remington Cor-loks.They Where Priced at $100 Box..Crazy.
In a fit of crazy over the course of this past summer, I've bought Marlin 336s in 30-30, 32 Win. and 35 Rem.

I've had 30-30 components and ammo. The only reason I bought the 32 Win. rifle was because I knew where 12 boxes of Win. ammo was. Then having bought the other two, I picked up a 35 Rem.

I haven't been able to find a single box of ammo for it searching in three states or online. Through the help of Campfire members, I have been able to round up the components to handload for it.
35 is here. Not cheap, but they've got 67 boxes of it.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifl...-x-x35r1-200-grain-soft-point-20-rounds/
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

No physical address listed?? Smells like fish to me.
Have ordered from them multiple times in the past. Ammo always showed up. (A year or two back they were liquidating Rem Wheel Gun 44 for dirt cheap and I ordered a bunch.)
Posted By: JDK Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
Local shop had a pallet full this past Fall. $80 per

My son in central Maine found 2 boxes at a shop for $125 per and they sold

I’ll sell my lever before I pay those prices
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Did any of you read the description of the WINCHESTER brand 35 Remington ammo?

The classic "Green-box" ammunition that shooters and hunters have trusted for years. Remington makes ammunition for nearly every need. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information

Caliber: 35 Remington
Bullet Weight: 200 Grains
Bullet Style: Core-Lokt Soft Point
Case Type: Brass

Right on there site

Local Pick-up available at:
Outdoor Limited

512 Townsend Avenue

High Point, NC 27263
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
I have a stash of 35 Rem ammo, both factory and reloads, from years ago when my late brother and I hunted with 35's. I swapped a box of a brand that I'd never heard of for a haircut from the gal who cuts my hair, so her hubby could have some ammo for his rifle. I believe I got cheated, as she only charges $15 for a haircut, and that ammo was worth $54.
I understand. I picked up a Winchester 71 Deluxe in 348 Win.
Now Hirnady discontinued the bullets.
When my last box is getting low I will have to switch to Hawk. At $1 each from Hawk they are still cheaper than what Hirnady is bringing on the sites.
FWIW, I sawza similar complain about 30-30. I offered to sell him a bix of Winchester 170 grain but he never responded so not sure about his need vs looking to complain
Posted By: Redneck Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by 4570fan
Very little hunting ammo under $30 a box nowadays.
Got that right... Friend of mine finally found a couple boxes of .243 with 100 gr. pills - the price was $39/box of 20.. eek
It wasn’t that long ago that between pre season sales and rebates you could buy 30 30 ammo for around $10/box. If you stocked up on reloading components before the craziness you can save a ton reloading over current factory ammo prices.
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
It wasn’t that long ago that between pre season sales and rebates you could buy 30 30 ammo for around $10/box. If you stocked up on reloading components before the craziness you can save a ton reloading over current factory ammo prices.

Yes, but when you take into account that only a small percentage of hunters load their own ammo the cost and availability of factory ammo can be an important consideration.

I have 4 rifles chambered in 35 REM and bought a couple hundred rounds of factory ammo when Dick's decided not to sell shooting sports gear.
I also passed up a very nice 141 last Summer. If I were itching all over for one, I’d start with brass.
Originally Posted by WStrayer
When my last box is getting low I will have to switch to Hawk. At $1 each from Hawk they are still cheaper than what Hirnady is bringing on the sites.
FWIW, I sawza similar complain about 30-30. I offered to sell him a bix of Winchester 170 grain but he never responded so not sure about his need vs looking to complain
30-30 is *everywhere* for pretty cheap. That's the last lever gun round warranting complaints. My 32-20 on the other hand... (Remington was the last major producer doing a limited, one-time per year run... and it appears COVID pushed that off the furthest back burner it was already on. I stocked up years ago, but it would be nice to be able to pick up a box here and there because it's fun to shoot.)
Posted By: tzone Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/08/22
Originally Posted by JDK

If people cant figure out how to reload of find someone that does at those prices, they don't deserve to have a .35 Rem.

But shame on them for gouging like that.
Posted By: 4570fan Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/09/22
Originally Posted by WStrayer

Here's a legit source according to some guys on my local NC Hunt&Fish forums.
https://wisconsincartridge.com/product/348-win-200-gr-sp-20-roundsnew/
Anything you plan to hunt with a 348 or 35 can be killed just fine with cast bullets.
Oddly enough i picked up some Norma 100gr 243 for $32 with tax last night, actually. Amd, on top of that was in a shop in Indianapolis (was there for PRI) and stopped on way home, and they had 2 or 3 boxes of 35 Rem sitting there
Just sold my Remington 8 so I'm out of the 35 rem game. I should get rid of the ammo and brass. Already have an 348 and 38-55 to feed so there's no reason to have it
Well, if you want to sell or trade .35 ammo or components shoot me a pm.
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by JDK

If people cant figure out how to reload of find someone that does at those prices, they don't deserve to have a .35 Rem.

Kind of, not exactly a good time to get into reloading.

If someone doesn't load then that $80 a box is still cheaper than trying to get set up to load, especially if they shoot 1 box every 2 or 3 years. Those 35 components aren't exactly available.

Glad I have a lot of new brass and several hundred bullets.
Posted By: boatboy Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/10/22
Following

Hank
Posted By: Seafire Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/10/22
My first VW in College cost almost that much... $50.

did some work it needed... drove that car 50K and sold it for what I paid for it...

compare that to how long a box of ammo would last you at the range...

Biden's America...
Posted By: tzone Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/10/22
Originally Posted by JDK

If someone doesn't load then that $80 a box is still cheaper than trying to get set up to load, especially if they shoot 1 box every 2 or 3 years. Those 35 components aren't exactly available.

Maybe maybe not. I always thought it was too expensive to jump in but having a few tough to find cartridges pushed me into it.

I certainly wouldn’t say I’m good at it and probably considered a beginner still. But I get them to go “bang” and still have all my digits. laugh
Originally Posted by JDK

Maybe maybe not. I always thought it was too expensive to jump in but having a few tough to find cartridges pushed me into it.

I certainly wouldn’t say I’m good at it and probably considered a beginner still. But I get them to go “bang” and still have all my digits. laugh
The silver lining here is that when the SHTF situation from the other thread begins, you can just put out a sign that says "35 Remington" and looters will know there's no ammo. Will go steal 22 and 308 from someone else.
There seems to be some easing of the shortages and even some price reductions, based on a little poking around on the web yesterday. Not out of the woods yet, but stuff that was simply unavailable not long ago is sometimes merely unaffordable, or unreasonable. I pick up cheap good-quality 9mm and .223 now and then, and am always looking for good .22s, but otherwise am staying out of the market for now. Need to burn up what I have.
As for making brass the easiest place to start is with 303 British. Turn the rim to the correct diameter and then make a groove. Trim a bit under length and then run into a 35 Rem die.
I guess that I need to go through some of my old stuff, 30 and 25 Remington, 30-40 Krag,222 Remington, 222 Rem mag brass, and who knows.
Glad I stocked up when it was available. Wish I had done that on some other caliber’s.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/16/22
What's this "factory ammo" I hear being bandied about? I haven't bought a box of factory ammo in any flavor since Clinton was president.

Good info re: using .303 British brass to make .35's. Close to same case head diameter I see. I almost want a .35 Remington now just to try that. Reading in Nonte's old book of cartridge conversions I see he recommended swaging '06 brass down, trimming, and running it into a FL sizer. .020" case head reduction via swaging isn't that big a deal, but you won't do it with your reloading press. Probably need to jerry-rig a hydraulic bottle jack.

Make some brass (or buy some - it's tough to find but it's out there if you shake the bushes hard enough) and round up a pack of primers and a can of powder, scare up a used set of dies and a used press (or an old Lee Loader), and a cheap Lee 2-cavity .35 200grain bullet mold (and a cheap Lee push-through bullet sizing die and a stick of lube), and bone up on how to use those tools, and a newbie can be shooting Dad's old .35 in jig time - all for the cost of a handful of boxes of this scandalously priced factory ammo I hear talked about. Or, sit back and continue griping about how the Ammunition Man is sticking it to you.
I had no idea you could form .35 from .303, but is .303 British brass really that much easier to find?
Originally Posted by Jason280
I had no idea you could form .35 from .303, but is .303 British brass really that much easier to find?

No, but if you haven't bought factory ammo since the 90's, owned a TV since 2000 and been laid since 2003, what else do you have to do?
WTB ads here yielded me 200 pieces rather easily.

YMMV.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by Jason280

No, but if you haven't bought factory ammo since the 90's, owned a TV since 2000 and been laid since 2003, what else do you have to do?

I haven't bought any factory (centerfire) ammo in over 20 years, abandoned TV in August 2020 when DirectTV raised their rates to a stupid level and I only watched 5 channels out of 600 anyway (and have felt quite liberated as a result), and I'll bet I get laid more often than most of you married guys.

My point is, with a little ingenuity, patience, and perseverance there really isn't much in the way of brass that can't be made out of other stuff. Am I the only guy left standing who owns and has read/used Nonte's old book "The Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions"? I guess now in the digital age books are passe - if it ain't on the Internet it can't be so - but that's a good one that'll teach you the basics, and it's written in Nonte's inimitable style.

But I guess it's easier (more fun?) to bitch about the high cost of non-existent ammo/brass.
Hornady seems to make seasonal runs of 35 Rem ammo. It was available on several sites based on Ammoseek several months ago. I saw it for as little as $40/box, but it went pretty fast. I would be they will make another batch next Spring or Summer. Just keep your eyes peeled.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
What's this "factory ammo" I hear being bandied about? I haven't bought a box of factory ammo in any flavor since Clinton was president.

Good info re: using .303 British brass to make .35's. Close to same case head diameter I see. I almost want a .35 Remington now just to try that. Reading in Nonte's old book of cartridge conversions I see he recommended swaging '06 brass down, trimming, and running it into a FL sizer. .020" case head reduction via swaging isn't that big a deal, but you won't do it with your reloading press. Probably need to jerry-rig a hydraulic bottle jack.

Make some brass (or buy some - it's tough to find but it's out there if you shake the bushes hard enough) and round up a pack of primers and a can of powder, scare up a used set of dies and a used press (or an old Lee Loader), and a cheap Lee 2-cavity .35 200grain bullet mold (and a cheap Lee push-through bullet sizing die and a stick of lube), and bone up on how to use those tools, and a newbie can be shooting Dad's old .35 in jig time - all for the cost of a handful of boxes of this scandalously priced factory ammo I hear talked about. Or, sit back and continue griping about how the Ammunition Man is sticking it to you.
Or just ditch the .35, go buy a .30-30 and get to killing deer with cheap and easy to find ammo/components. I've had both and killed a pile of deer with both. My .35 went down the road years ago and my .30-30 is still here and it's still killing deer every season. The only thing the .35 does better than the .30-30 is deflate your wallet.
Well, there is that too! smile No argument from me on that score - I've worshiped at the altar of the .30-30 for more decades than I care to remember. Not many cartridges out there are more versatile, from mouse fart loads to deer thumpers. Add to that I found that I can duplicate .35 Remington performance with 200 grain flat nosed cast lead bullets with a 26" barreled .357 Maximum rifle. Niche filled.

We gotta do all we can to keep some of these old ones from becoming extinct. The ammo companies don't give a hoot about a few guys who cling to old rifles/cartridges as we do little to contribute to their bottom line. Give up the old stuff and get with the new stuff? May be some truth in that, but it doesn't set well with the philosophy of Rifle Loonyism, does it?!
Load 158 gr 357 bullets in your 35 rem. Works great in them.
Friend just picked up 3-4 cases of old stock 200 gr corlokt 35 ammo. Im trying to buy it so may have a bunch to sell soon.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/17/22
Any of you getting out of the 35 Remington game PM me with any components you are selling. I have a 336 and a 141 that are not going anywhere as long as I'm above the dirt.
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Load 158 gr 357 bullets in your 35 rem. Works great in them.
Friend just picked up 3-4 cases of old stock 200 gr corlokt 35 ammo. Im trying to buy it so may have a bunch to sell soon.
I'd be interested in a case. At 37, I've got a Lotta shooting left
Well hell at a gunshow last weekend I picked up 900 180gr .358" Speer flat noses. Just scored a 8# jug of Leverevolution. Why they are cheaper than 30-30's. You be gettner..mb
Posted By: beretzs Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well hell at a gunshow last weekend I picked up 900 180gr .358" Speer flat noses. Just scored a 8# jug of Leverevolution. Why they are cheaper than 30-30's. You be gettner..mb

I’d be a taker if you were willing to part with some of those 180 FNs MB.
I've read the whole thread, everyone's posts. I've been retired since may of 2020 so I have had more time to hit the local stores to see what's in stock, to talk with sales people and I have store numbers on speed dial. I also hit every gunshow with in 200 miles. The ammo companies are pumping out more ammo than ever. Based on known sales numbers some older chamberings are harder to find? Why ? SEVERAL REASONS the ammo companies that make low demand cartridges still make them 1 or 2 runs a year same as allways. The panic of c-19 induced the the panic shortages and caused people to finally change the way they buy ammo. Sure the prices have gone up, look around at everything you buy it all cost more thank Joe biteme for that. I was in the local Sam's tonite bought some food. Big quantity buyers save money there. Down the way is the local Scheels store so I dial them up and ask for the gun dept. You guys get any powder or lr primers? Yeah, powder the guy says and runs off the powder numbers. Has leverevolution powder 38.99/# not a steal but says he has an 8# at 249.99 that's a deal
So I rolled over there and got an 8#.. while I'm there I get the reminder you know it's the Xmas season friday nite, men their women and kids, people buying things. But 1 thing has changed instead of buying 1 box of shells they buy 3 to 6 boxes if it's there to buy. They aren't hoarders but they have learned the hard way to keep and build an adequate supply of the ammo they need to stay in the game. All the ammo selling stores in Rapid City SD had runs of Remington 35 rem ammo this year in May and June, 2 to 3 cases each time and that ammo on the shelf lasted 1-3 days was bought out by customers buying multiple boxes. $46 to 55 a box. That simple. I've said it before and damn it I'll say it again...the days of buying what you want, when you want for how much you want to pay are long gone. You have to step up and compete for what you want. Winners and losers no fugging participation trophies handed out. Change the way you do things and win..mb
Posted By: JDK Re: 35 REM ammo priced at $54! - 12/17/22
I frequent 8 shops between Old Town and Madawaska one way travel if about 200 miles. 6 on a weekly basis. 6 know my name and I know theirs. With the exception of the one I mentioned at $80 per box, none have had 35 Remington in stock since late 2019

I have enough to last my lifetime but not everyone is in MB’s situation. To think otherwise is typical campfire bullshit
Relatively easy to make cases from 303 British brass. Which by the way isn't all that easy to come by either.
© 24hourcampfire