Home
Posted By: TreeMutt Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
On a hunting rifle?

I can see it on a so called "tactical" rifle but can someone explain the use of a threaded barrel on a deer rifle, etc.?
Posted By: pacecars Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
If your state allows it there is nothing better than a quieter gun when hunting. You won’t get rid of the sonic crack but it will still reduce the noise and help protect your hearing. It also can make your rifle more accurate and reduce recoil. Try it and you will like it
Posted By: SKane Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Deadens report of rifle (big plus for your ears and big minus for your quarry).
Reduce recoil.
Reduced disturbance if you hunt near residential areas.
No deflected blast (compared to a brake).
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by pacecars
If your state allows it there is nothing better than a quieter gun when hunting. You won’t get rid of the sonic crack but it will still reduce the noise and help protect your hearing. It also can make your rifle more accurate and reduce recoil. Try it and you will like it
Suppressors increase accuracy? Change my mind.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Non threaded barrels could be compared to wood stocks in the 90s.

In ten years most all hunting rifles will come threaded from the factory.

Once a hunter uses a suppressor in the field there really is no way to go back.
Posted By: Brad Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Being over 60, and losing a lot of my interest in hunting, I doubt I'll ever have a suppressor. Were I younger and starting from scratch, I'd have at least one or two rifles set up with suppressors. I think they're brilliant.
Posted By: PatB Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
I have two of them and I never use them. They are heavy, long and cumbersome. I do walk a lot so there's that. Just another opinion.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by flintlocke

While I don't believe a suppressor will change the inherent accuracy of a given firearm, it may due to changing the barrel harmonics (similar to the BR barrel tuners that are out there), but that is would have to just be coincidental.
Where I do see it helping is with helping to make the shooter better. Reducing the muzzle blast and recoil may help the shooter themselves better at trigger control and follow-through, thereby making them more accurate. If you already have very good shooting fundamentals then it probably won't help with anything but making it much more pleasant to shoot.
Since I've lost a lot of my hearing already and have tinnitus ringing in my ears 24/7 I do anything I can now not to make things worse.

To that end I try to use a suppressor on anything I possibly can and I don't think I ever buy another rifle that is not threaded.
Posted By: TreeMutt Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
OK, Thanks but I'm not sold.

At the range I use both plugs and phones for ear protection. Blast and recoil never bothered me but my most powerful rifles are in 30-06, 308, etc.

Deer hunting is usually one shot, rarely more. I carry plugs for when I "unload" my flintlock, which obviously is not threaded.

I was hunting very close to a club shooting range. A buck, not quite legal as per antler restrictions, came into the field I was watching and someone at the range started shooting a high power rifle.

At the first shot (which made me start smile the buck raised his head and paused for a second not even raising his tail. After that, he took no notice at the subsequent shots, and continued to feed in the field oblivious. And the range was less than 100 yards away although up on a hillside. Of course, every deer is different but through the years I have seen other evidence of deer not spooking at gunfire.

I do like to be careful of my ears but don't fire enough shots unprotected to justify more weight and something that is contrary to my minimalist nature.
Originally Posted by PatB
I have two of them and I never use them. They are heavy, long and cumbersome. I do walk a lot so there's that. Just another opinion.

There is that.
I've had three rifles bobbed to 16". With suppressor, they're the exact length they were before being cut.

For the guy thinking "no way I'm gonna add that to the end of my 24" or 26" barrel" - I'm right there with ya. laugh

I was late to the party on suppressors and angry at myself for being stubborn in my initial position on them.
The only downsides are initial cost and they do take up space on the end of your barrel, but that’s easy enough to fix by getting a shorter barrel. The upsides are multiple.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Not really a downside for a bbl being threaded. Screw on a brake, suppressor, or have a thread protector on it.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by SKane

There is that.
I've had three rifles bobbed to 16". With suppressor, they're the exact length they were before being cut.

For the guy thinking "no way I'm gonna add that to the end of my 24" or 26" barrel" - I'm right there with ya. laugh

I was late to the party on suppressors and angry at myself for being stubborn in my initial position on them.

Always pay to think of a suppressor on any thing a guy build these days.

6.5 PRC with 20" barrel and 4 inch suppressor is efectively a 23.5 inch.

This might be a 22" barrel/ the 4" but still very manageable.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Keyword, "can", not "will".
Posted By: JGray Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by Brad
Being over 60, and losing a lot of my interest in hunting, I doubt I'll ever have a suppressor. Were I younger and starting from scratch, I'd have at least one or two rifles set up with suppressors. I think they're brilliant.

Interesting take Brad - I'm over 60 and not as passionate about hunting as I used to be. I'm seriously considering adding a suppressor (though not sure why 🤔).
Posted By: Rolly Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
A few months ago I hunted Cape buffalo and hippo with Omujeve Safari’s in Namibia. I rented rifles. 375 Christenson Arms with a suppressor attached. Either my Grandson or I carried it for a week. The suppressor did reduce the sound as it was supposed to do but talk about unhandy in thick brush. Terrible! The suppressor added 8-10 inches to the length of the rifle and was so barrel heavy it was difficult to carry in a barrel up position. Carried barrel down and it nearly dragged on the ground. After that experience I will never use one for hunting while on foot. Heavy, ungainly and uncomfortable to use while hunting.
Originally Posted by Rolly
A few months ago I hunted Cape buffalo and hippo with Omujeve Safari’s in Namibia. I rented rifles. 375 Christenson Arms with a suppressor attached. Either my Grandson or I carried it for a week. The suppressor did reduce the sound as it was supposed to do but talk about unhandy in thick brush. Terrible! The suppressor added 8-10 inches to the length of the rifle and was so barrel heavy it was difficult to carry in a barrel up position. Carried barrel down and it nearly dragged on the ground. After that experience I will never use one for hunting while on foot. Heavy, ungainly and uncomfortable to use while hunting.

Oh, for the love of gawd. So the barrel was an unwieldy 32-34 inches on a rifle you have no familiarity with and you’re writing them off for that reason?
Posted By: Remsen Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
I now hunt only with suppressed rifles and have noticed that a can will not only reduce recoil and noise, it also tends to confuse the animals as to where the shot came from. I tend to be a very deliberate shooter and don't often miss with the first shot, but it happens every so often. Two years ago I took a shot at a buck and shot over him. I assumed he was going to take off immediately, but he just sort of looked around as if he knew he should beat hooves but didn't know which direction to run. He didn't have much time to think it over, as a few seconds later he was dead.

I can't say for sure that the can gave me the opportunity for the kill shot but in all of my time hunting I've never seen an animal just stand there after being shot at.
Posted By: RHutch Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Originally Posted by TreeMutt

I do like to be careful of my ears but don't fire enough shots unprotected to justify more weight and something that is contrary to my minimalist nature.

It only takes one shot to mess up one’s hearing. BTDT

Ignore the threads on the barrel if you’re to dense to try a better mousetrap.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
I've used a can on 2 of my 22LR squirrel rifles because it allows me to shoot numerous squirrels out of the same tree before they figure out something is wrong. I have one big game rifle (savage lightweight hunter in 308win) which is threaded. I fire it 3 or 4 times to verify zero, then 1 shot per deer. It wears a thread protector and I have no plans to purchase a can.
Posted By: PatB Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
There ya go, a 4''er would change my thoughts, I think, lol... One of mine is 9" and the other 7''. The 9 particularly is a PIA. Got it early on and I suppose it soured me.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Why would I use a rifle of choice that was unnecessarily heavy, ungainly, very muzzle heavy, AND ugly ?
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22

As long as it takes to get them I’d not try to change anyone’s mind. You’re right suppressors are a bad idea.

You’re right. Some are heavy, long and cumbersome. I would not try any of the new short light ones.
Why would I use a rifle of choice that was unnecessarily heavy, ungainly, very muzzle heavy, AND ugly ?
Then it wouldn't be a rifle of choice would it??

Get real

You shouldn’t. You’re right. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can cut the barrel off use a light modern can and still have a balanced rig. That’s nonsense and you still would not like the looks. Don’t buy one and tell your friends not to buy one.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
On a hunting rifle?

I can see it on a so called "tactical" rifle but can someone explain the use of a threaded barrel on a deer rifle, etc.?
simple .. options
I can't wait for the next lesson on how the .223 is too small for deer.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
What about a 223 shooting a .224 bullet?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What about a 223 shooting a .224 bullet?

Too risky. The guys who shoot one or two deer per year do not advise it….lol. I’d say I folded one up this morning with a suppressed 223 shooting a 75 grain Amax blem but it would sound like stunt shooting. Especially since the barrel was cut down to compensate for the giant heavy suppressor.
Posted By: Northman Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/17/22
Have 4 suppressors.. one for each: 22lr, 223, 308, 6,5x55

18" barrels on all except the 6,5x55 which is 20"

Less recoil, 25db less in 308, can shoot more animals if in a group before they are spooked.
Just benefits..

Fat suppressor better then long.. you need volume.
Having a 7-9" suppressor is silly.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
And dont forget how nice a suppressor make's a classy hunting rifle look 🤪....Hb
They clash with red and black plaid. That's why roundoak's club prohibited them.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
They clash with red and black plaid. That's why roundoak's club prohibited them.

He told me I was not welcome.

Where are you in MT? I have some real close friends around Huson just west of Missoula on 90.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22

There is that.
You didn't need that extra 200-300 fps.
Posted By: TreeMutt Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22

Spot On! ^^^
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

There is that.

Nope and doubt he lost 300fps. The guys who say the most about velocity don’t own a chronograph or know their rifles velocity anyway……most of the time.

Spot On! ^^^

Exactly!
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Where are you in MT? I have some real close friends around Huson just west of Missoula on 90.
About 350 miles down I-90 to the east of there.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
The damage done by one to maybe three shots I might fire per year while deer hunting pales in comparison to the four decades of abuse I suffered working in telephone equipment rooms. Waiting for the letter from the class-action lawyers………

Every range I use requires EP all the time, regardless of what you’re shooting. I’m always prepared to double up as well when the real boomers come out. Don’t dove hunt very often, but last time I did, I plugged up, as there’s no downside for doves. Next time I go upland hunting, I’m going to try some e-plugs that let me hear what’s going on, maybe even better than usual. I may try them out for deer as well. To me, that seems like a much more practical choice than a cumbersome and expensive device that also requires government blessing and paying a hefty tax. Don’t need recoil reduction, and think the claims of increased accuracy are probably true in some cases, but doubt it’s universally true, and suspect the opposite may be true as well at times. Finally, I don’t feel that I need to confuse the critters I shoot at, the rifle is advantage enough.

OTOH, if I were hunting on private land, with perhaps neighbors around that might be put off by gunfire, or involved in serious varmint control for crop or livestock protection, a can would be a great idea, and I’d invest in one. Already have at least three rifles that came threaded. So far, neither opportunity exists, so a can remains a useless gadget for me, though I very much appreciate the guys who use them on their minor cannons while shooting close by me and my popguns.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The damage done by one to maybe three shots I might fire per year while deer hunting pales in comparison to the four decades of abuse I suffered working in telephone equipment rooms. Waiting for the letter from the class-action lawyers………

Every range I use requires EP all the time, regardless of what you’re shooting. I’m always prepared to double up as well when the real boomers come out. Don’t dove hunt very often, but last time I did, I plugged up, as there’s no downside for doves. Next time I go upland hunting, I’m going to try some e-plugs that let me hear what’s going on, maybe even better than usual. I may try them out for deer as well. To me, that seems like a much more practical choice than a cumbersome and expensive device that also requires government blessing and paying a hefty tax. Don’t need recoil reduction, and think the claims of increased accuracy are probably true in some cases, but doubt it’s universally true, and suspect the opposite may be true as well at times. Finally, I don’t feel that I need to confuse the critters I shoot at, the rifle is advantage enough.

OTOH, if I were hunting on private land, with perhaps neighbors around that might be put off by gunfire, or involved in serious varmint control for crop or livestock protection, a can would be a great idea, and I’d invest in one. Already have at least three rifles that came threaded. So far, neither opportunity exists, so a can remains a useless gadget for me, though I very much appreciate the guys who use them on their minor cannons while shooting close by me and my popguns.

You just typed out tons of words to say you don’t have any experience with a suppressor and don’t want one ….lol. You might try a little experience to go along with your opinion. It could perhaps make a difference.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Suppressors are like American Express, don't leave home without it!

Spot On! ^^^

Exactly!

They don't have to be any of that at all. You're just imagining a suppressor screwed on the end of yor favorite hunting rifle. Plenty of factory rifles out there that can keep you 8 lbs or less suppressed. I find the ugly is outweighed in what the suppressor does for me.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
This one works on everything from 22lr to 300WM..........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Rolly Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Put my evaluation of a can in context. I rented the camp rifle while in the Caprivi Strip on a dangerous game hunt. Sometimes we were in thick stuff and sometimes not. A couple of the days logged 8 miles or a bit less. The rifle was stock from the factory with I would guess a 24 inch barrel. Add 12 or so ounces to the end and another 10 inches for the can and you should be able to understand my opinion a bit more. Also I always have a pair of those plastic pinch type hearing protectors around my neck that I use when I have time. So yes, the can worked, was ungainly, unhandy, heavy and UGLY. I did get a 44 inch buff with it however. No, I won’t be buying one for my own rifles.
Posted By: SKane Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22

There is that.

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Tell me your age without telling me your age.

You just typed out tons of words to say you don’t have any experience with a suppressor and don’t want one ….lol. You might try a little experience to go along with your opinion. It could perhaps make a difference.

Never sucked a d*ck either, but I’m certain I don’t want to…….no experience necessary, lol
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Originally Posted by RHutch

"Huh? What did he say?!"

Noise-induced hearing loss is real and cannot be cured. And it can happen with every shot, depending on sound pressure levels. To state that one doesn't shoot enough to protect their hearing is silly.

At the very least, don't state that you are careful about your ears then shoot unprotected and question the use of a can.
It’s about function not looks. Personally I don’t see it as ugly but it’s only on the rifle while in use and literally goes on or off in two seconds.

Most hunting rifles have barrels longer than needed to avoid severe muzzle blast. Suppressed rifles equal shorter barrels. A .308 Winchester with an 18” barrel isn’t giving much practical velocity and none that actually matters for anything inside of 300 plus yards. It isn’t much longer than a non suppressed 22” barrel and will balance fine. If anything it has the added bonus of taking the can off and carrying it in a daypack to and from a stand sight making the rifle even more compact and lightweight to carry when not anticipating game.
Originally Posted by 4th_point

"Huh? What did he say?!"

Noise-induced hearing loss is real and cannot be cured. And it can happen with every shot, depending on sound pressure levels. To state that one doesn't shoot enough to protect their hearing is silly.

At the very least, don't state that you are careful about your ears then shoot unprotected and question the use of a can.

"Huh? What did he say?!"

BullShit, Ive been killing deer and small game for 50 years and my hearing is very good, and yes, I do take care of my ears very carefully except when actually hunting. Funny how we never hear the shot when deer hunting. Got lost in the big woods once and used my 357 for signaling my buddy and that was a different story as the 357 blast from a 4" barrel is very caustic, even my mid-range reloads at that! Still nothing wrong with my hearing.

Worked in a Steel Mill for ten years, ever hear a couple tons of steel tubes being dropped in a cradle? Normal earplugs were furnished and utilized by me at all times but some guys didn't. I even wear protection when mowing grass!

I do have a pair of Peltor hearing protectors that magnify normal sounds but still protect from loud noises but have never worn them in the field!
Posted By: JPro Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
I have a few walnut/blued sporters than I don’t intend to thread, along with a few magnum sporters that are already at 24” of barrel length, but everything else in the safe is fair game for possibly being threaded. Of course, this opinion was only formed after using a suppressor in person. I watched a deer through my scope yesterday as it took a bullet and it felt liked I plinked it with a rimfire. No concern with blast or ringing my ears. I even shoot my suppressed rifles better at the range, where earpro is already on. It’s not “necessary”, but it’s rather nice, kind of like having variable magnification on a scope, or indendent suspension on an ATV.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
I’m not worried about aesthetics of a rifle I’m hunting with. Functionality is all that matters. I have wood and blued guns that I have no desire to thread. But they also never get taken hunting anymore because of that either.

Suppressed rifles have less recoil, muzzle rise, and noise. You will absolutely shoot better with one than without. I’ve witnessed it over and over again from people who thought they were not worth it. Or thought they had no flinch or weren’t recoil sensitive.

18-20” barrel is the sweet spot. Plenty of short and light cans on the market that aren’t 10” long and 20 oz to chose from

I can watch my impacts now with a suppressor, and can hear the bullet impact even as close as 100 yards.

My oldest son was terrified of the blast even wearing plugs and ear muffs over them. Suppressor changed all that for him

If you’re shooting one shot a year without ear pro at a deer then I guess not worth it. But we shoot close to 10 deer a year, some pigs, squirrels, coyote’s. So to me it’s worth it

Never sucked a d*ck either, but I’m certain I don’t want to…….no experience necessary, lol

Haha good point. I promise I’m not trying to talk more people into them. It takes long enough to get one as it is.
Posted By: PatB Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22

There is that.

⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

Tell me your age without telling me your age.

Skane, why do these conversations have to turn into a pissing match?

Odds are pretty good that I am old enough to have an opinion, no?

Don't care if you and others don't like my opinion, you's is just as valuable.. Honor and integrity with politeness goes a long way in this world.
Originally Posted by kevinJ
I’m not worried about aesthetics of a rifle I’m hunting with. Functionality is all that matters. I have wood and blued guns that I have no desire to thread. But they also never get taken hunting anymore because of that either.

Suppressed rifles have less recoil, muzzle rise, and noise. You will absolutely shoot better with one than without. I’ve witnessed it over and over again from people who thought they were not worth it. Or thought they had no flinch or weren’t recoil sensitive.

18-20” barrel is the sweet spot. Plenty of short and light cans on the market that aren’t 10” long and 20 oz to chose from

I can watch my impacts now with a suppressor, and can hear the bullet impact even as close as 100 yards.

My oldest son was terrified of the blast even wearing plugs and ear muffs over them. Suppressor changed all that for him

If you’re shooting one shot a year without ear pro at a deer then I guess not worth it. But we shoot close to 10 deer a year, some pigs, squirrels, coyote’s. So to me it’s worth it

I just had the same discussion with a good friend who is wanting to put a new rifle together. He said so what you’re saying is if I build the rifle with a suppressor in mind and decide I don’t like it I will then need to rebarrel with a longer barrel? I said yes. If you put this rifle together and decide you would prefer it to have more recoil more muzzle blast more muzzle jump and think The louder the better you would need to rebarrel for balance reasonings. Without the can the rifle will be too butt heavy. He said yea ok I get your point….lol.
You have solid reasons for going suppressed, and I wouldn’t try and talk you out of that. You definitely went the extra mile for your son; many would have gone with trying to coax or berate him. Good on you for that. I simply don’t any reason at present, so go with ear protection and occasionally run without that while hunting. I’m fast approaching 71, and I’m still waiting for the disastrous damage that some have claimed will occur to appear. Didn't even have muffs until I was about 18, and that pair of B&Ls was the first pair I ever saw in use by anyone.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
On suppressors' contribution to accuracy:

Many shooters note that they will indeed be more accurate suppressed than non-suppressed. There are many reasons for this.

First, they are adding weight to the muzzle end of the gun which means that it resists being pulled off target more than a naked muzzle. Reduced noise and reduced recoil also allow the shooter to maintain natural point of aim by reducing recoil and blast anticipation. Additionally, the suppressor is acting as a harmonic dampener, resulting in more consistent barrel whip. In some instances, the improvement is in shootability. Other times it can actually keep a barrel better in tune. I have seen some barrels actually perform worse with a suppressor. This is because the weight took it out of tune. A rifle with a load worked up with a suppressor will almost always be more accurate than the same rifle with a load worked up with a bare muzzle. If your rifle shoots worse with a suppressor, re-work your load and it will more often than not be more accurate than it was with a naked muzzle.
The OP started it as a pissing match by asking a question he has a closed mind about. Why else would someone ask a question they have no intention of learning from, if it's not to stir the pot?
One of my rifles shot not so great after threading and having the suppressor on. Take suppressor off and it shot great again. 1 out of 7 rifles that I had threaded for reference. This is not including guns that came threaded. They all have been excellent

Took the barrel from 20” to 18” and it was back to its old self.

Figured I could work a new load or try a little shorter. Shorter was easier. I don’t miss 50-75fps at all!

I’m a gentleman. Always a suppressor!!!
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Suppressors are cool but if you an accuracy nut - they take some extra work to make sure they won’t change your groups in a bad way.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
On a hunting rifle?

Suppressors seem to be a very binary thing, either you are a fan of them and think that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread or you don't find that the decrease in noise is worth the cost/benefit for your form of shooting.

I don't have enough use for a suppressor to justify the cost to benefit ratio, but what other people choose to do is of little interest to me.

That’s an easy one. People are no damn good; the Bible tells me so. One of the ways many show it is by insisting everyone think as they do or be subject to various forms of verbal abuse and ridicule.

Fortunately, I was blessed with a tolerant and generous nature, so hardly ever get pissed off and start flinging poo……. Mostly😜
Spotshooter. Do you have suppressors? Not being rude just curious the extent of your experience with them

That’s not been my experience at all. The one rifle I could have probably worked a new load for after threading but figured why not go 18”. Which brought it back to .75 moa. I guess if going for a BR world record it could matter. I don’t think anyone in this chat is worried about that

You do the same load development with or without a suppressor. Adding or removing them from the equation can affect groups and or point of impact of the group. Like almost any other variable in accuracy.
Posted By: Brad Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Another positive about suppressors is for youth rifles. The noticeable decrease in blast/noise and recoil is a real aid for a young shooter (or anyone).

I was in the "no way in hell" camp for a long time, until I allowed my thinking to be more flexible. Funny how when you open your mind a bit, suddenly you see something in an entirely new way and its benefits become more obvious. Again, not something I'd want on every rifle, but I could see a couple rifles set up for a can. Old dog, new tricks, etc.
I am amazed how many people who have no experience with them first hand seem to have an opinion about them negatively.

I can understand saying I don’t shoot enough, hunt enough, or have the extra cash to need one.

You should try it done right before you knock it. A 26” 375 with a 10” suppressor drug through the brush is far from done right, and I wouldnt base my entire opinion on that experience or analogy

Brad, my oldest son was who pushed me down the suppressor path. He wanted to hunt and shoot but was terrified of the blast. It was a night and day difference for him and any other kid we tried it on. They shoot way better.
Posted By: memtb Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
On a hunting rifle?

If things continue in the direction that politics are going…….your hunting rifle may become a tactical rifle! memtb

Have you lost your interest in shooting? If not a rimfire can is really affordable, and there are some fairly cheap centerfire suppressors if you're not concerned about weight. Other than the time it takes to get one, I really don't see much downside to them. It isn't that difficult to pass them on to family members either with a trust.
Another positive about suppressors is for youth rifles. The noticeable decrease in blast/noise and recoil is a real aid for a young shooter (or anyone).

I was in the "no way in hell" camp for a long time, until I allowed my thinking to be more flexible. Funny how when you open your mind a bit, suddenly you see something in an entirely new way and its benefits become more obvious. Again, not something I'd want on every rifle, but I could see a couple rifles set up for a can. Old dog, new tricks, etc.
I find them as much, if not more, of a pleasure in non-hunting shooting. I don't have anything other than "hunting rifles" so they get shot year-round. Only a couple are threaded and they get shot quite a bit more than the non-threaded because they're more pleasurable to shoot.

I am amazed how many people who have no experience with them first hand seem to have an opinion about them negatively.
Baffles me how people are so sure a suppressor isn't for them without having fired one. Regardless how many analogies Pappy offers up.
@Whttail_in_MT,

Same for me my suppressed rifles see more time at the range. I have a few rifles I won't thread, but I rarely shoot them. All the new rifles I look at need to have a 20" or less barrel before I'll even consider a purchase.

There are three type of people who have justifications for not owning suppressors.

1. Has never shot a round through one.
2. Will not pay for one and go through the process.
3. Doesn't want to be on a Government list. (My Buddy)

My buddy has shot several, loves them, but hates the idea of the fingerprints and the registry.
Posted By: KB64 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Got my approval email last night on my first efile application, 255 days. Have another August submittal for a rimfire can. I'm seriously thinking about having my Contender barrel in .22 Hornet threaded and possibly shortened.
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
My "hog gun" is mostly used shooting from an enclosed stand, at 25 - 50 yards. I use a Thompson Contender .44 mag - 14" barrel in a carbine stock, with a locally made suppressor of 12" in length on it. I load sub-sonic rounds, using 300 - 350 gr hard core lead bullets. The rig is pretty quiet, and DEADLY. I've killed hogs out to 75 yards with it, and over 200 pounds. I went suppressed partly because I shoot a lot at night and have neighbors close enough to be bothered, partly for not spooking target animals. This has been a very good and practical solution for me, after I accepted the pain of the tax stamp.

I also have a Ruger .22 LR semi-auto pistol that is suppressed that I use for pest control.

To get back to the original title of this thread, I have threaded barrels on these firearms to attach the suppressors.

Mike Holmes
Posted By: jshks Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Nope not for everyone.
I am with others, if you have never used or been around them for extended range sessions or colony varmint shooting, there isn’t any negative.
A muzzle brake that is quiet, how does one argue that?
“Recoil doesn’t bother me” keep telling yourself that. I shoot more small caliber rifles than any big cartridges anymore. A for instance a 30+ pound 17 Remington with a brake/suppressor , the heavy rig was a pure pleasure for me to use. The brake/suppressor made it even better. Movement on target is almost zero, slight vibration is it if anything.

A purpose built rifle, for a specific game or critter is a huge discussion with lots of options. I don’t entertain the idea of chopping of a long barreled rifle that has use of the longer barrel for FPS. I have heard and read of folks bobbing arrows to add their suppressor so it is factory or handy length.
One friend has his suppressor in a case on his side, it is threaded with a quick attach thread. Going in and out it is off, once in a stand or shooting spot it is slipped on. Takes way less time to put on and take off than it took me to type this.

Ford, Chevy, Dodge gas or electric it’s a choice.
Posted By: CRS Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Threaded rifle barrels just add options as to whether you want to use a muzzle brake, or suppressor.

Rifles- two 22 RF's, a 222, 223 Wylde, 22-250, 270, 338-06, and a Marlin Trapper 45-70 that are threaded.

Suppressors- I have two 22 RF, a 223, and a magnum suppressor. I really like them. Do not use them all the time, as I have some rifles that I like that are not threaded.

I do not like muzzle brakes, way too loud on my rifles, and way too loud at the range. Only time I double up on hearing protection is at the range when the next bench is shooting a braked rifle.

I am going to get a suppressor for my 45-70, just have not had time to get down to the suppressor shop.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22

As long as it takes to get them I’d not try to change anyone’s mind. You’re right suppressors are a bad idea.

LOL!

I'm right there with you Kaleb, I'm following your lead and saying suppressors are a bad idea.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
On a hunting rifle?

Why not?

I try to never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: drover Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
I have shot rifles with suppressors and I am in agreement with the fact that it is nice to cut down the noise and perceived recoil. My reasons for not owning a suppressor are the cost and time of .gov approval and the ridiculous cost of the suppressor itself.
I have good hearing protection devices and they work at least as well as a suppressor even if they are not quite as handy. Even with a suppressor a person should still use hearing protection - a suppressor is not a cure-all.

Link to a short read about suppressors - https://bulletin.accurateshooter.co...irearms-hearing-protection-is-important/

It is not a matter of not being able to afford one but I refuse to pay the manufacturers to rape me on the price of them.

drover

I find them as much, if not more, of a pleasure in non-hunting shooting. I don't have anything other than "hunting rifles" so they get shot year-round. Only a couple are threaded and they get shot quite a bit more than the non-threaded because they're more pleasurable to shoot.

Baffles me how people are so sure a suppressor isn't for them without having fired one. Regardless how many analogies Pappy offers up.

Hey, it was only one analogy! But, it was to the point.

I, on the other hand, don’t understand why so many can users insist on dragging everyone else into the club. Plain and simple, I don’t need one for anything I do, and have been around plenty in the hands of others. For me, they are a pointless complication and expense that I choose to forgo. I don’t need to try one to take that decision because I’m capable of reasoning in the abstract, without “sucking the d*ck” as it were.

I’ve never preached against them, and as I said, there may come a time when one will make sense for me, but not now.
FWIW,

Over the years my choice of rifles and calibers/chamberings have gone through several stages or evolution if you will. In the 90's it was long heavy barreled beanfield chambered for magnums. These days among other things it's short barreled rifles from 6.5mm to 338 cal. in cartridges that have MV's from 2,400 to 2800 FPS. that are threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake.

I have found that suppressors and night vision/thermal are a game changer for the type of hunting I do.

Over the years I have noted that when shooting magnums with MV's over 3,000 fps that if one shoots game at say 100 yds. plus or minus, you lose your sight picture when using a scope and you do not hear the impact of the bullet on flesh.

With a suppressor I always hear the impact of the bullet and many times do not lose the sight picture due to recoil. I like that a lot, as it lets me know immediately whether I have hit or made a clean miss.

Here is an example......

This thermal scope records video but not audio so you will not hear the impact of the bullet. I was shooting my Sig Cross chambered for the 308 Win, Dead Air Nomad 30 suppressor, 150 gr. Norma factory soft points @ +/- 90 yds.

Note that the sight picture is not lost on either the first or second shot.

ya!

GWB
Nice shootin’ and good job taking that mercy shot too.

I might be in the market for a thermal in the future. Our night hunting for yotes and foxes starts in a couple weeks, and if there turn out to be enough to make it worthwhile, one might wind up on my shotgun.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
While it's true the suppressor makes hunting more enjoyable for the shooter it has even more benifit due to spooking game much less than an unsuppressed shot.

Lung shot deer and elk run much less distance when shot with a suppressed rifle.

Other nearby animals are much less spooked.

I have never hunted a feeder but guys who do tell me that it keeps the feeder more active.

Lots of multiple pigs at one feeder.

Many more doubles and triples on coyotes using a suppressor.

Many more shots from a setup on prairie dogs.

It's really a game change in the game fields.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
^^^^

Could agree whole heartedly with ALL of that, as I use suppressors and thermals at night for varmint/predator control….in areas where some household is ALWAYS within earshot of any firing.

I also use them for almost all of my rifle hunting, because of the tons of benefits that those who haven’t used them enough tend to overlook. Sure, there’s compromises with weight, balance, aesthetics….but after watching game reactions at night and during daytime, and being able to hear AND see my hits even with major power rounds, it’s hard to NOT use one. I have rifles I’m loathe to modify for suppressor use. However, they end up being safe queens when it comes time to go to work in the field. It’s why I have another thread about thinning out some nicer rifles that it might be a shame to cut and thread…..because a can has become the FIRST priority for utility, and the rifle or chambering is now a second fiddle or such.
Nice shootin’ and good job taking that mercy shot too.

I might be in the market for a thermal in the future. Our night hunting for yotes and foxes starts in a couple weeks, and if there turn out to be enough to make it worthwhile, one might wind up on my shotgun.

I started with kill lights. They work but can spook game.

Next I've employed night vision with IR illuminators.

I've three thermals, each and improvement on the previous model.

Thermal is amazing.

I have not downloaded it yet but I took a couple vids of birds coming to eat the corn at feeders before and just after shooting light. I have good quality 10 x 42 binos and can't pick out bunnies and small birds @ 120 yds. but with the thermal, their heat signature makes them like little light beams.

I also have noted that when looking directly west into the setting sun the glare on the lenses of bino's prevent one from seeing game. With thermal glare is not a problem, as what you are seeing is the heat signature picked up by the thermal sensor.

I now always have one of the thermals to use as a hand-held scanner with me in my pack, day and night.

The biggest negative with thermal if you will is that unless you have some type of marker to judge distance there is no depth perception. So if you shoot and animal and it is not DRT, you have no idea whether its 50 yds or 150 yds, and have no indication as to where to start tracking.
The next thermal I purchase will definitely have a range-finder.

In regards to the mercy shot.......
I do not like to track at night. I've been killing hogs for over 50 years and have been charged twice. Figure one of these days my luck may run out so I no longer track. The shot I employ if done correctly, severs their spine and they drop and paddle. They are dead, but just don't know it yet. If the POI is a bit off, it still knocks them down, but sometimes they are able to get up and take off. Consequently, over the last couple years I almost always put a second shot into them. Settles their hash.

ya!

GWB
Tracking a wounded nasty-ass toothy critter in the dark, what could go wrong?😱

Thanks for the info. We have strict rules here about weaponry used at night, hence the shotgun and #2 Hevi Shot for the close ones I expect to get in the bushes. Lights used to be restricted too, but the gloves finally came off so it’s all pretty much legal. Gonna start small and work up as things dictate. The Mossberg has a rail on top, a light mount on the mag tube, and M-loc slots on the pump handle. 8 rounds on tap. Gotta hit the pattern board to see what she’ll do with the x-full tube I bought.

Would definitely like the video capability of the thermal.

Hey, it was only one analogy! But, it was to the point.

I, on the other hand, don’t understand why so many can users insist on dragging everyone else into the club. Plain and simple, I don’t need one for anything I do, and have been around plenty in the hands of others. For me, they are a pointless complication and expense that I choose to forgo. I don’t need to try one to take that decision because I’m capable of reasoning in the abstract, without “sucking the d*ck” as it were.

I’ve never preached against them, and as I said, there may come a time when one will make sense for me, but not now.

I don’t think anyone is trying to push a suppressor on anyone at all. That might be the way some received it but I don’t see where anyone is telling someone they should.

My only point about the entire matter is simply this. 100% of the people I know who have set a rifle up correctly (correct suppressor barrel length etc) love suppressors. 100% of the people who have used mine either have one on order are saving for one or say they are wonderful they just don’t want to spend the time or money.

I just think it’s hilarious (no offense toward anyone meant) that almost 100% of the people who don’t want one or say they don’t have a use for one have never tried one or tried one set up correctly. The dk sucking analogy is funny and I get the point but hardly the same thing. I promise I couldn’t care less about strangers liking or disliking them. As I’ve said shoot don’t get them maybe mine will come in a little sooner.

I can’t believe it isn’t obvious. Everyone who tries them like them. Everyone who isn’t a fan hasn’t tried one. It’s really that simple.
Tracking a wounded nasty-ass toothy critter in the dark, what could go wrong?😱

This was daytime, but you get the picture. The boy shot the hog with a 243 Win. Did not drop him. We tracked into a ceder thicket. This one charged me and knocked me over but did not hook me. Next time he charged I put 7 hardball 45 ACP rounds in him before he dropped at my feet.

Thanks for the info. We have strict rules here about weaponry used at night, hence the shotgun and #2 Hevi Shot for the close ones I expect to get in the bushes. Lights used to be restricted too, but the gloves finally came off so it’s all pretty much legal. Gonna start small and work up as things dictate. The Mossberg has a rail on top, a light mount on the mag tube, and M-loc slots on the pump handle. 8 rounds on tap. Gotta hit the pattern board to see what she’ll do with the x-full tube I bought.

Would definitely like the video capability of the thermal.

Thermal is better for scanning and action and targets that are moving.

However you can get into good Night Vision with an aftermarket illuminator for under $1k.

I have both ATN and Sightmark Night vision.

They are more expensive to purchase than kill lights but can also be employed day and night.

Both have wi-fi streaming and video capability, with audio.

Here we can go afield for hogs, varmints and non-indigenous game 24/7/365 and I mostly do my time sitting in a stand or ground blind.

Here is a short vid from the same location in the first pix above. Distance is +/- 120 yds.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: PatB Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Thermal is awesome for pigs and NV works pretty well too.. Have one of each and would like to upgrade to all thermal.
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
Here is my reasoning for trying to convince people to purchase and use suppressors.

1. I have had two ranges that I frequent get shut down due to "noise pollution". Of course the ranges were there before the neighborhoods, but they still took the hit. If everyone was shooting with suppressors, it would be harder to get them shut down.

2. Just like with MSR, the more people that have them the harder they will be to ban. As you all saw with bump stocks and pistol braces, fringe items that the casual hunter/shooter "has no use for" are easy targets for the gun-grabbers. They will use these wins to build momentum until they can start pushing the ones that hurt us all. Just look at Canada and the list of guns that are going to be banned soon. If you think it can't happen here, all we have to do is keep letting them take those things that the majority "have no use for".

3. It makes my shooting/hunting more enjoyable when everyone I am around is shooting suppressed. I will pack up and leave if there are guys with muzzle brakes that are there or come in while I am shooting. It isn't just about hearing. The pressure wave from the big mags with brakes will give me a headache very quickly. In regards to hunting, I don't want to have to worry about putting plugs in when I am hunting with friends or youngins. I also like to be able to whisper to them and have them hear me.

So, those are reasons why I am passionate about recommending suppressors.
Posted By: Brad Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/18/22
It's crazy that in the UK if you buy a rifle, you're immediately granted the ability to buy a suppressor. Probably the only gun related thing that's easier to do in the UK than in the USA. I think it's bizarre it's so difficult and expensive here.

We are required by law to have mufflers on our automobiles...
Glad you won that fight GWB; we’d have missed you!

I have a lot of studying to do before I take the NV or thermal plunge. There may be some issues with shotgun recoil, so it might also involve buying another rifle. We can use .22 CFs.

Maybe an AR with a can!
Posted By: HandgunHTR Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
Glad you won that fight GWB; we’d have missed you!

I have a lot of studying to do before I take the NV or thermal plunge. There may be some issues with shotgun recoil, so it might also involve buying another rifle. We can use .22 CFs.

Maybe an AR with a can!

Over on the west side of your state, we use ARs with thermals and cans to keep the yotes down on our property. Mine is 6X45, the other owner is using a .223.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
It's crazy that in the UK if you buy a rifle, you're immediately granted the ability to buy a suppressor. Probably the only gun related thing that's easier to do in the UK than in the USA. I think it's bizarre it's so difficult and expensive here.

We are required by law to have mufflers on our automobiles...

The antis will never let go of that, and the GOP doesn’t have the guts to try for the most part. You’d think that at the very least they could simply treat buying them like they do firearms, at the counter background check and you’re done. Even that’s excessive, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Getting the gummint to let go of $200 would be pretty tough too!
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22

Spot On! ^^^

Exactly!
Yep like a shotgun with a polychoke screwed on the end... just plain sucks.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
Lol
Until someone actually uses it. I’m not trying to convince people to use them though.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
I can see it if you're going to employ a muzzle brake. As for a can I would never have one. Personal choice.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by Fotis
I can see it if you're going to employ a muzzle brake. As for a can I would never have one. Personal choice.

I'd much rather use a suppressor than a break. Different strokes as they say.
Posted By: JPro Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
I despise brakes, because a hunting rifle is likely going to be shot without earpro at some point, and brakes are brutal on the ears.
Posted By: SKane Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22

Pat, you're right - apologies for that.

And I'll admit to being short on patience/tolerance for fuddery – it's one of the reasons I find entertainment in the main campfire forum. blush

Suppressors aren't for everyone - I'll readily admit it. I initially got into them for coyote hunting at night. And once I did, the benefits for big game hunting became readily apparent.

The tradeoffs - shortening a barrel for better handling and the loss of velocity or how it looks are easily put in the rearview mirror. I can also admit to being a fickle form AND function guy - function easily wins over form with suppressors for me.

Would I cut a family heirloom or safe queen for one? No.
But if all I owned were family heirlooms and safe queens, I'd likely have no experience with suppressors, therefore I wouldn't opine on them.

Nor would I swear them off if my only experience with them was some rigged atrocity that was like wielding a power pole with additional weight on the end.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Fotis

I'd much rather use a suppressor than a break. Different strokes as they say.
Originally Posted by JPro
I despise brakes, because a hunting rifle is likely going to be shot without earpro at some point, and brakes are brutal on the ears.

I agree.

Would rather shoot a bare muzzle than brake and really hate having to help a guy with a brake.

A good suppressor beats both by a large margin.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/19/22
I can’t believe it’s even discussed. A person is ok with a break but not a suppressor….lol.

Again. How many of the no not for me guys have ever used a suppressor set up half way correctly? The only no not me guys have never used them. That is the hilarious part to me. Everyone who uses them lives them. Everyone who doesn’t want one has never used one. The fact that isn’t obvious cracks me up.

To all the he guys who will never use one please don’t change your mind or change the mind of your friends. Lol
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22

"Huh? What did he say?!"

BullShit, Ive been killing deer and small game for 50 years and my hearing is very good, and yes, I do take care of my ears very carefully except when actually hunting. Funny how we never hear the shot when deer hunting. Got lost in the big woods once and used my 357 for signaling my buddy and that was a different story as the 357 blast from a 4" barrel is very caustic, even my mid-range reloads at that! Still nothing wrong with my hearing.

Worked in a Steel Mill for ten years, ever hear a couple tons of steel tubes being dropped in a cradle? Normal earplugs were furnished and utilized by me at all times but some guys didn't. I even wear protection when mowing grass!

I do have a pair of Peltor hearing protectors that magnify normal sounds but still protect from loud noises but have never worn them in the field!

Since you worked in a steel mill, I suspect that you had your hearing tested annually? How long has it been since you left the mill? Or has it been so long that they didn't do hearing tests then?

If no hearing tests were done, how do you know that there is nothing wrong with your hearing?

I am experienced and trained in vibroacoustics. I have dealt with industrial machinery. Your steel mill example is not unusual.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
I'm not interested in a suppressor so much but I really don't want a brake either. I picked up one of these a while back and it does make a difference in the amount of noise that comes back to me. The blast cans aren't perfect but they help. These are aluminum so they don't add a lot of weight.

Blast can
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
Do I want an electric car?
Can I have one more drink before I drive home?
Is a rescue pit bull a good dog to bring into a family with small children?
Should I marry that woman?

All decisions that can be taken intelligently without actual experience, with a little thought.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
Not trying to bear it to death, but

I like my Dead Air Nomad 30 enough that I've zero'd 5 other rifles that are threaded to use with that suppressor.

My Sig Cross in 308 Win with the suppressor & thermal has been my go to rifle for the last six months.....

On three different occasions during that time I've had stands where three single boars have walked in during an eve. That, in the past has been a rarity. My last set, a week ago I nailed a boar about 6:30 PM, and then had a sounder come in about 7:30 pm and got an eater.

I like that.

I am spoiled!

ya!

GWB
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22

All decisions that can be taken intelligently without actual experience, with a little thought.

Actually none of your questions can be answered without experience.

Litterally the biggest fail at anogy I have ever seen.

Damn, get a gun muffler you savage.
Posted By: JPro Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by kwg020
I'm not interested in a suppressor so much but I really don't want a brake either. I picked up one of these a while back and it does make a difference in the amount of noise that comes back to me. The blast cans aren't perfect but they help. These are aluminum so they don't add a lot of weight.

Blast can

If somebody buys a threaded, short-barreled rifle and does not yet have their suppressor, I recommend the blast can. It does seem to push the noise away from the ears a bit and it’s not expensive.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Actually none of your questions can be answered without experience.

Litterally the biggest fail at anogy I have ever seen.

Damn, get a gun muffler you savage.

Nonsense, I spent a good two minutes coming up with them. And your spell checker needs a spell checker.

Seriously, and I swear this is my final plunge into this, not a single thing you Disciples of the Can have brought up convinces me that I will reap a significant benefit from one in the shooting I do now, not in the field, nor on the range. And I have spent some time considering that since I love gadgets as much as anyone. At some point that may change, and then I’ll be all in with both feet as usual. Meanwhile, enjoy your little sonic booms.
GWB, I like that one. Looked it up and it’s light and not too spendy. Are barrels for it readily available?
Posted By: geedubya Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
My understanding is yes.

I'm on my way to my deer lease and my fat fingers and a virtual keyboard do not do well.

Catch you on my return.

Best,

GWB
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/20/22
What about having a suppressor on a rifle that you used for shooting coyotes at night made the benefits of a suppressor equipped rifle for big game hunting readily apparent?

I'm pretty sure that the game animals that I've tagged were mortally wounded before the sound of the shot reached them, given that the speed of sound is +/-1,126 fps.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/21/22
GWB, I have the Cross in .308 as well and have been super impressed. I've never been much of a .308 fan but that platform, 16" barrel, and can are really handy.
Posted By: mtwop Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/21/22

As somebody that’s enjoyed reading your posts over the years, can I ask why? I feel the same way, but I’m curious what your reasons are.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by mtwop

As somebody that’s enjoyed reading your posts over the years, can I ask why? I feel the same way, but I’m curious what your reasons are.

I’ll jump on the why as well Brad.
Not answering for Brad but on topic. I’ll always like hunting but my identity isn’t wrapped up in it the way that it was when younger. I have other interests and hunting as hard with the same drive that I had in my younger days isn’t there. I’ve been there done it. I’d rather see a kid shoot shoot his first critter than shoot one myself.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/21/22
Understand that!
Posted By: BubbaG Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/21/22
I love muzzle breaks on magnum rifles. I am that guy and I don't care. I bought a rem 700 in 300 win mag. The first day at the range, I shot 10 rounds and had to stop because of the pain. I got home and my shoulder was purple. I had a break installed and a 1 inch pachmayr decelerator pad and I can shoot 100 rds in a day and never flinch or experience any pain.

I don't have any issue with suppressors. They were not allowed where I hunt until a couple of years ago so it was never a consideration. I am not really interested in going through the hassle of the paperwork, the cost of the paperwork, the cost of the suppressor, and the cost of having the barrel threaded. I may someday.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Why a threaded barrel? - 12/28/22
Adding a suppressor to hunting rifles is just another end of the old time hunting era. No difference than cell camera, Ozonic, rangefinders and the rest of the new gadgets people are using. I heard 5 shots this morning and the boys got 4 deer. Part of hunting for us has always been trying to guess who shot and if you heard the bullet hit.
As for kids being scared of noises and recoil, I can't comprehend. My kids were building there own M80's, pipe bombs and acetylene bombs just like their dad did growing up. And now with tannerite and with no readily available Goex black powder times aren't looking as good for my grandkids.
© 24hourcampfire