Home
Curious who is using a tripod for hunting or is considering it?
What set-ups do you use?
Pictures would be great!

What is the weight(s) of your hunting gun(s) that you also shoot off of a tripod?
This is not my lightest hunting XP.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you know the weight of your tripod with head, and what is it's shortest length?
Mine comes down to 22 inches and weighs 3 pounds and smidgen under 9 ounces, or rounded down to 3.5 pounds

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's (With XP's and rifles) in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it in 2023.

Using 8" or 10" steel what is the max distance you can hit your target every time (with your hunting rig) from standing, sitting, or double kneeling? Especially interested in standing.

I am getting Arca rails (2.5-3 inches long just in front of the trigger guard) installed after the first of the year on a handful of my primary hunting center-grip XP-100's: (6mm-284, 25-284, 6.5-284, 280AI, and 300 SAUM).
I do understand I am adding weight to my hunting set-up.

Pros and Cons?

Below is my 6.5-284.
My 6.5-284 is not my lightest weight (8 pounds) hunting XP-100, but I had it handy.
It shoots amazing, even at distance with 140 AB's: 2784 fps (distance was 575 yards on 10" steel)
Primos trigger sticks is what I use. I'll get some photos rounded up.
Ernie,
I just looked up your tripod. Holy moly! $1000! I'd love to have one, but I think I'll have to get by with my Trigger Stick. It is the original series tall one. I modified it to where the legs will spread out far enough to be used from kneeling or sitting on a low stool. It obviously only serves as a front rest, but I've been able to make multiple 1 shot kills at 400+ yards using it.
Yes, went full retard, as I have tried other systems with my specialty pistols and with rifles at night, and ran into some issues.
I was looking for a weight, length, strength, and flexibility to use from all three positions.
Plus, I will be using it for other things as well.
I use a bogpod or something. I know it's not the primos. Wasn't very expensive. I have no idea how tall or what it weighs. I recommend them to everyone. Even if you don't think you need it, you are helping the game by making sure you can shoot better.
RRS TFCT-33

10# AR15, 8# tikka T3, etc

Tripod with anvil 30 head- 4.8#, 28 3/8”

Max distance for hits on 8-10” plate every time? Not sure I mostly shoot at 300 for practice.

Here is my 12y0’s target at 300 doing some practice last summer. She was pretty consistently hanging around 1moa.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pros? I set my kid up and she dropped her first buck at 303yds with a single perfectly placed shot, she was able to use a sitting position and shoot nearly as well as prone. Works similarly for adults. Binos from standing off the anvil is great

Cons, you have to pack it. In the past I typically packed a tripod for binos and used a bipod, total weight isn’t any different. It’s slower to setup than a bipod. But then again the ability to shoot very steady from standing is worth it imo.

I’m pretty sold on the tripod
That might be the first time I saw someone shoot a firearm barefoot and sober.
I use the Kophjager aluminum tripod elk and mule deer hunting. It's a fat pig to haul around. But it's as steady as a rock when deployed.
i use the bogpod tripod and treepod as i can't support the front of the rifle steady enough anymore do to jackhammering for 20 years
I use a bogpod and like it plenty.
I've been using Bog Pod tripods for some years now. I hunt mostly in open country and they work well for me. My hunting rifles weigh from 7.5 to 9 lbs.
Will never buy a tripod, I prefer to travel light with as little as possible!

Plus I am an excellent shot and have complete confidence in my shooting abilities.
For me, a bipod or crossed sticks are easier to deal with on uneven ground. Using a sitting position with the feet and knees spread with a bipod has the elbows supported by the knees and the rifle on the bipod. If you can add a hasty sling it’s almost as steady as a bench.
Originally Posted by KillerBee

Plus I am an excellent shot and have complete confidence in my shooting abilities.

I used to say the same thing. Now I'm a fat old geezer and not only use a tripod, I'm sitting on a chair!
I've used a Primos tall 3 legged trigger stick since 2014 for all kinds of stuff....

Including shooting

My wife used the Primos tall 2 legged trigger stick until last fall when she switched to a Slik 700 with a Bogg sadle while hunting from a blind.

What is the furthest shot you have made in the field?

Do you use other types of rests such as a bipod?

Do you know Reversed Kneeling?

These types of posts should come with a bit of context.
Originally Posted by xphunter

2023 will be the year that I dive into this hard, to see what my limits will be, especially with center-grip single-shot XP-100's.
I have used tri-pod's (With XP's and rifles) in the past, but I am wanting to get serious about it in 2023.

When you dive in, you REALLY dive in. laugh

Dandy setup you've got there.

I use a SLIK PRO 700 BHX AMT for night coyote hunting but at 8lbs, it's a tank.
But I'm generally not more than a 1/3 mile from the truck.

The tripod you have is on the 2023 procurement list. smile
To be fair I might have been killin from tripods for a while.

2006 is better than a decade and close 1 1/2 decades.

[Linked Image]
Any time it is appropriate.

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

What is the furthest shot you have made in the field?

Do you use other types of rests such as a bipod?

Do you know Reversed Kneeling?

These types of posts should come with a bit of context.

KillerBee sure ran hard away from his post.

Wonder why he is so scared?
Originally Posted by SeanD
RRS TFCT-33

10# AR15, 8# tikka T3, etc

Tripod with anvil 30 head- 4.8#, 28 3/8”

Max distance for hits on 8-10” plate every time? Not sure I mostly shoot at 300 for practice.

Here is my 12y0’s target at 300 doing some practice last summer. She was pretty consistently hanging around 1moa.

Pros? I set my kid up and she dropped her first buck at 303yds with a single perfectly placed shot, she was able to use a sitting position and shoot nearly as well as prone. Works similarly for adults. Binos from standing off the anvil is great

Cons, you have to pack it. In the past I typically packed a tripod for binos and used a bipod, total weight isn’t any different. It’s slower to setup than a bipod. But then again the ability to shoot very steady from standing is worth it imo.

I’m pretty sold on the tripod
I was at the range a couple months ago and a young woman was there with her dad. They were practicing before her first elk hunt. They tried a set of shooting sticks first. She was having a hard time hitting a 10" plate at 100 yards, then her dad switched her over to a tripod. That made all the difference in the world. You should have seen the smile on her face. She was cute and dressed in her camo as well. I say use what you are comfortable using. Use what works and practice, practice, practice...
I will considerer using a tripod for hunting at about the same time I consider wearing a dress and lipstick. GD
I tried to use a bipod for hunting a few years ago. It definitely improved my shooting. However, these NH deer didn't seem to realize that it took a few seconds to get the hardware adjusted ...
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by xphunter

When you dive in, you REALLY dive in. laugh

Dandy setup you've got there.

I use a SLIK PRO 700 BHX AMT for night coyote hunting but at 8lbs, it's a tank.
But I'm generally not more than a 1/3 mile from the truck.

The tripod you have is on the 2023 procurement list. smile
When you get it and use it let me know what you think please.
Primos Trigger Sticks for me. The sitting length.

P
Hey Ernie!
FirstBubba here! LOL!

For years, way before the AR became commonplace, I often carried a "shooting stick" of some sort with me.
Whether a factory setup or just a slim, stiff sapling, any extra stabilizer was always welcome.
Since I began building AR's, I've included a bipod in the setup. My boxblind is set up with shooting bags, regardless of the bipod......but none of them cost $1K! LOL!

Was it Elmer Keith or Col. Askins that claimed they never passed up the opportunity to use a rest of some type? Whether guide provided or a convenient tree limb, any assistance in assuring the most accurate shot possible was welcomed.
I agree wholeheartedly!
© 24hourcampfire