Home
Hello! It's been quite awhile since I've visited this forum but it has always been a wealth of information.

I've wanted to put together a M70 pre-64 in .375H&H for hunting here in Alaska for a long time. I've owned a variety of .375's over the years and currently use a Sako Kodiak. While it is a fine rifle, its a bit heavy at almost 10lbs.
I finally found a pre-64 barreled action in 375 this last week that's a great candidate to build an all weather rifle that would hopefully come in at 9lbs or so (8.5 would be great). The barrel was cut back to 20.5" inches and I would love to see how well it shoots before I had it rebarreled, I would prefer a shorter barrel in the 20-22' ranged anyway. Any recommendations for synthetic stocks and coatings? Any other ideas or suggestions to make this a rifle to keep and hunt with for many years would be greatly appreciated!
I have been happy with almost all my Mcmillan M70 stocks as well as the new Bansners.
Brown synthetic stocks get a lot of respect, I tried, they just don't fit me.
If I was in your shoes I'd find away to get an Echols legend stock, I sure like it on my M70 300 H&H.
Many of my M70 builds are cerakoted and if applied right it seems to work well but there are other products on the market that seem popular too.
Let us know how your build plays out, enjoy the process.
A 20 or 21” Rem sporter contour or similar barrel, send the barreled action out for nitriding. Bansner classic stock.

Mag sporter contour if you want a bit more weight.
Said rifles wear a rather heavy barrel contour,which is of course CM and no joy. The magbox is trite to boot. Not much to get giddy about there,no matter the amount of lipstick. Hint...............
Built for Africa but a good start towards what you are looking for.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Talley QR's, Brown Precision, 9lb 6oz. with the 1.5-5 Leupy
+2 on the Echols stock, if you can find one...
© 24hourcampfire