Home
Posted By: hanco Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a 99 at the Smith getting a rebarrel job. I hope to get it before the season starts. I don’t hear about the 338 Fed like I do the 358 Win. The Fed should be just as good
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Hanco, No, but I want one, it's just impossible to justify and not high on the priority list.

358 or 338 Probably, really, honestly, splitting hairs, 358 is probably "better" but 338 has better bullet choices.

Put any animal out there and shoot it with a 358 or 338 and ask if it can tell the difference.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
YES!

Haven't shot it yet......

210 grain bullets should be your friend.

I need a set of rings.............. anyone! anyone!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
338 Federal should be good but I’m stuck on the 358 myself. Definitely more bullets in the 338.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have 160 Barnes loaded, ready to try them out.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Yep. I settled on the Barnes 185 TTSX at 2700. It shoots flatter than about any bullet except the 160 TTSX.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a .338 Federal Kimber Montana. It’s my go to elk rifle.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by Mossy
I have a .338 Federal Kimber Montana. It’s my go to elk rifle.

I have a Montana out getting rebarreled to .338 Fed now.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Just got a Rem 660 that I had rebored back from JES on Weds. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. While I was waiting on the rebore, I managed to score some Fed Premiums w/185TSXs from an out of the way shop that I hadn't been to in years. Also ran across a couple boxes of Fusion MSR 185gr and Fed Premium s w/210NP at a gun show a couple weeks ago. Got plenty of 308 brass that I can neck up and some 185TSX and 210NPs that can load. Been keeping an eye on another thread here that has a bunch of load info for the 338 Fed.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Just got a Rem 660 that I had rebored back from JES on Weds. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. While I was waiting on the rebore, I managed to score some Fed Premiums w/185TSXs from an out of the way shop that I hadn't been to in years. Also ran across a couple boxes of Fusion MSR 185gr and Fed Premium s w/210NP at a gun show a couple weeks ago. Got plenty of 308 brass that I can neck up and some 185TSX and 210NPs that can load. Been keeping an eye on another thread here that has a bunch of load info for the 338 Fed.

Those 185 TSXs were my favorite. I was disappointed when Federal discontinued them. Currently shooting the 210gr Partitions. After I’m out of those it’ll be 200gr Fusions
Posted By: VernAK Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Kimber Montana
This always seemed like a cool round to me. I know some folks were upset that Federal billed it as creeping up on the 338wm... but they really should have known it couldn't -- and wouldn't -- from the get go.
Posted By: texken Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a savage rebarreled from .375 to .338 federal
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a stainless Ruger Hawkeye that I bought from someone on this site back in 2017. The 338 FED is a good cartridge, but so are a lot of others. Mine is part of a 3 rifle set, stainless Rugers in 223, 6.5 CM, and 338 FED that are all bedded in McM Hunter style stocks. Sadly, McM doesn't inlet the McM Hunter for any Ruger barreled action anymore, one of those "fewer choices, fewer potential customers" policies that the new owners of McM have implemented.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I’ve got a Kimber 338 Federal.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Haven’t scoped it yet.

Was hoping to run across some factory stuff like WiFowler but it’s sorta scarce!

No matter, I’ll get some dies soon and get something together for it.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by beretzs
I’ve got a Kimber 338 Federal.

Haven’t scoped it yet.

Was hoping to run across some factory stuff like WiFowler but it’s sorta scarce!

No matter, I’ll get some dies soon and get something together for it.

That's a beaut Scotty.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I built a 338-08 back in 2004ish and just put it’s second barrel on it. It is a Remington 600 with a McMillan and has killed a lot of deer and a couple elk. It is my most used rifle. I mainly used 200gr Hornady SP Interlocks but sadly they are discontinued. The new barrel likes the Federal 185gr Fusions and H322.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I had a NIB Sako Grey Wolf and sold it to a Pennsylvania member here, I hope he is enjoying it.
Posted By: MOW Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a Browning A-Bolt JES rebored to 338 Fed. I loaded up some 160 TTSX for an Elk hunt, but never saw any elk. I may take it on my next hog hunt just to use it.
Posted By: Jonnymac Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/18/23
I have a MRC X2. Had excessive headspace from the factory. I got that straightened out all of shot out of it so far is factory 200 grain fusions but it shows promise.
Posted By: Jason280 Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
I have a rebored Howa 1500, still haven't shot the rifle yet...
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
I have a Montana. Have loads for 160TTSX, 185TSX, 180 Accubond and a few different 200 cup and cores. I use the 180 Accubond for elk. Deer and pigs usually get a 200 of some sort.

It’s probably anecdotal and trivial, but I feel like the Fed hits animals with a lot of authority. The Fed chambered in the Montana is a dream to carry. Mine is topped with a Leupold FX-II 4x. Carries and points like a nice shotgun.
Posted By: badger Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
I have a REM 700 that Mickey Coleman built for me in a Hi-Vis blue McMillan stock to give the deer a fighting chance. They are losing so far. Haven’t had a deer or a hog go more than 10 yards so far. 185 TTSX’s work very well for me.
Posted By: ATC Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
I have a Kimber Montana 243 rebored to 338 Fed. Right at 6lbs with a Leupold 2.5-8, shoots great and easy to carry.
Posted By: Santiam Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
JES rebored md 88..Shoots better now than it did as a 308...Very happy with it..

Originally Posted by Santiam
JES rebored md 88..Shoots better now than it did as a 308...Very happy with it..

OK that's just awesome.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: GeoW Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by Sako76
I had a NIB Sako Grey Wolf and sold it to a Pennsylvania member here, I hope he is enjoying it.

Likewise the NIB Grey Wolf. Still have it.
Posted By: mikieb Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
Looking at JES web site..... they can take a .223 and re bore it to a .338 federal ?

I would need some work on the bolt to make that work also ?

Is that possible ?
Posted By: captjohn Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
JES did a 223 to a 350 legend for me, sweet shooting gun and cycles flawlessly, but the 223 is the parent case of the 350 legend.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by Muffin
YES!

Haven't shot it yet......

210 grain bullets should be your friend.

I need a set of rings.............. anyone! anyone!

optics planet carries them and they are much cheaper than the factory. There are also 30mm rings from Ruger, I've never seen advertised.
but optics planet carries them. I've bought, 5 or 6 sets for 30 mm scope tubes. think I paid like $65.00 per set.
just passing that on....
Posted By: TeeBone Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
The M722 on the bottom is a 338 Federal. Originally chambered for 222 Rem, JES did the rebore.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
The 338 Fed is such an interesting cartridge to me. It has enough velocity to be useful - meaning I don't feel like I'm lobbing a pumpkin. It is found in rifles that are very practical - meaning short, light, plain ol' handy. Has enough 'power' to be genuinely a large game cartridge. And all at a level of recoil that makes a light rifle very tolerable. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on better other than it is very practical which apparently is not a desirable trait.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/19/23
Originally Posted by bwinters
The 338 Fed is such an interesting cartridge to me. It has enough velocity to be useful - meaning I don't feel like I'm lobbing a pumpkin. It is found in rifles that are very practical - meaning short, light, plain ol' handy. Has enough 'power' to be genuinely a large game cartridge. And all at a level of recoil that makes a light rifle very tolerable. I'm not sure why it hasn't caught on better other than it is very practical which apparently is not a desirable trait.

That’s about where I landed. Looking forward to getting it out and trying it some.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/20/23

I agree. It just plain works without any fanfare. It’s only downside really is if you want to shoot 225gr or larger bullets and/or 400 yard shots.
Mine is a model 70 rebore with McMillan stock. Very good shooter!

Posted By: jac3k Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/24/23
I’ve had 3. Tikka T3, Kimber Montana, and Kimber classic. The Montana recoil was a bastard. I shot several deer and hogs with mostly the Federal 200gr Fusion load. Pretty much DRT on everything I hit with it.
Posted By: JPro Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/24/23
Yep. I settled on the Barnes 185 TTSX at 2700. It shoots flatter than about any bullet except the 160 TTSX.

I download a 22" .338WM to about 2,750fps and it's a great killer wit the 185TTSX. Always liked the notion of the .338Fed in a compact package. Might get there someday.

Some neat rifles on this thread for sure!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/24/23
Originally Posted by jac3k
I’ve had 3. Tikka T3, Kimber Montana, and Kimber classic. The Montana recoil was a bastard. I shot several deer and hogs with mostly the Federal 200gr Fusion load. Pretty much DRT on everything I hit with it.

I re-barreled mine with the Lilja heavier contour barrel cut to 23" inches. Tamed recoil noticeably.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/24/23
Originally Posted by jac3k

I re-barreled mine with the Lilja heavier contour barrel cut to 23" inches. Tamed recoil noticeably.

Mine will end up at .625 at the muzzle. What did the Lilja contour have?

This is the total blood trail of a whitetail doe. The other one never left her tracks. 185 gr TSX hand loads, current rifle is Kimber Classic. A bit lively to hang on to but very manageable.

KC
Posted By: EdM Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
I bought a custom pre-64 M70 in 358 Win years ago and have not seen any reason to go the 338 route. If I owned nothing would I change? Doubtful.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23

I have this AR in 338 Federal, Wilson Combat 18" barrel(IIRC). Load the 185 gr. Hornady GMX.

Seems to work.

Picked up an Ruger #1 a while back but have not been able to perforate pigs with it yet.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: Ghostman Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Had one in a Sako 85 for a couple of years before selling it. The cartridge and accuracy were ok but didn't do any more than my 308s did for the type of hunting I do. If I needed a heavier bullet, I'd probably go with a 358 Win or Magnum caliber.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
0.615 at 23 inches

I like that length and contour so much, when I rebarrel my 308, it will wear the exact same thing. I'm not a fan of 24 inch barrels but given the petiteness of the Kimber 84 M, a 23 inch barrel yields the same OAL rifle length as a standard 22 inch gun on other actions. The muzzle jump with the longer and heavier contour is an added bonus.

Recoil with full power 338 Fed loads in my 6.7lb rifle is about like an 8lb 30-06. I wouldn't be affeared to add a few magnaport slots either if I was looking to obtain a bit more recoil reduction.

Plus it feels and 'holds' better than the standard 22 inch kimber barrels. I'm a big fan of the Lilja 84m mod taper at 23 inches.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
multi hosting

Here is my Montana 84M with Lilja Mod84M barrel finished at 24". The little bit I've shot it, it has been with 175 grain Hammer Hunters over IMR 8208XBR in resized Lapua 308 brass. Been easy sub-MOA for me and extremely easy to shoot off the bench.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by GuideGun
multi hosting

Here is my Montana 84M with Lilja Mod84M barrel finished at 24". The little bit I've shot it, it has been with 175 grain Hammer Hunters over IMR 8208XBR in resized Lapua 308 brass. Been easy sub-MOA for me and extremely easy to shoot off the bench.

That turned out real well.
Just saw them bastids at Midway sent an instock email for the 185 338 TTSX and 200 358 TTSX.. by the time I got there they were swooped up….

Hopefully they have more inbound!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Just saw them bastids at Midway sent an instock email for the 185 338 TTSX and 200 358 TTSX.. by the time I got there they were swooped up….

Bummer, I could use about 2 more boxes of 185's.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Tell me about the 175 gr Hammer Hunters. What velocity you getting with that load? They expand at lower 338 Fed vels?
Originally Posted by Teeder

Me too!

But seeing how well GuideGun did with those 175 Hammers I won’t get too butt hurt about using them.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Originally Posted by Teeder

Me too!

But seeing how well GuideGun did with those 175 Hammers I won’t get too butt hurt about using them.

I'll check them out.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/25/23
Tell me about the 175 gr Hammer Hunters. What velocity you getting with that load? They expand at lower 338 Fed vels?

Haven't ran them across a chrono yet, but quickload has me around 2850fps with the charge I settled on. Never got a chance to shoot them at game yet either. They should expand just fine. I can say it was some of the simplest load workup ever. I loaded them at max mag length and started working up in charge weight. Found a charge that stacked 3 touching and called it good.

phone keyboard symbols
Posted By: bwinters Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/26/23
Thanks.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/26/23
Hanco: I have a Rifle in caliber 338 Federal!
I love it.
Its a factory stock Tikka T-3 bolt action with fiberglass stock and a Zeiss Diavari 3x9 variable scope on it.
I bought it to use on hike in and back pack Hunts for Spring Black Bear and fall Black Bear Hunts.
Good luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: peaceman Re: Who has a 338 Federal? - 02/28/23
Originally Posted by GuideGun

Haven't ran them across a chrono yet, but quickload has me around 2850fps with the charge I settled on. Never got a chance to shoot them at game yet either. They should expand just fine. I can say it was some of the simplest load workup ever. I loaded them at max mag length and started working up in charge weight. Found a charge that stacked 3 touching and called it good.

phone keyboard symbols

Thats the next load for my 4 338 feds. I'm intrigued by the hammer bullets.
© 24hourcampfire