Home
Posted By: OGB Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
So, a bucket list gun is available. Southgate (made by J.A.Pan and sons) LH MK V in 270WBY.

It's in good condition with a chip in the stock just in front of the bolt handle which I can live with.

Always wanted a WBY and this is a great example of what I've casually been looking for. Classic walnut and blued steel and to my eye just plain sexy.

This is the chambering I want as it was the first WBY cartridge made and seems ideal for reaching out on for deer/elk. When I say that bear in mind that my general limit is 400yds and I don't really want to get in a debate over BC and how I'm a fud. Just want to hunt with a classic.

Who has shooting/hunting experience with this cartridge? Tell me the truth here. I will listen.
Posted By: duke61 Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
Never had one but was told its 270 Win on steroids
Posted By: hanco Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
I load 140 grain accubombs for mine, Remington 700, 26” barrel. I load same bullets in 270 WSMs too
Exceptionally schitty chambering,in an exceptionally schitty rifle,"supported" by exceptionally schitt projectiles. Hint.

If that's your Recipe to "success"...you rung the fhuqking bell and you are WELL prepared,already practicing making excuses for it. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
I've used one for almost 30 years now. Great cartridge that works as advertised if you do your part. I load 130gr TTSXs over IMR 7828 in mine, shoots into tiny little groups and kills like lightning.
This will be funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Dangle a picture of The Goat Fhuqk,then muse particulars,including fodder and "performance". Hint.

Biden has been in Politics for 30+ years and is doing as advertised. Undoubtedly,you played a part. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................
Posted By: hanco Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
I have a bunch of 130 trophy tipped Bear Claws I need to try. They should be good in a 270 Weatherby. Granddaughter killed a nice buck with one in a Sako 270 WCF. It was a cull on the ranch she was hunting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Biebs Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
That's a cull? Nice!!!
Because of the case size of the .270 Weatherby, you can get the 150's going at a good speed using slow burning powders. The bullet that I'm interested in has a bc of .710, requires an 8 twist barrel and has just come out. 150 grain Badlands Super-Bulldozer.
I use 74.5 grains of IMR 7828, Fed 215 mag primer and the 130 grain Nosler Partition in my Winchester M 70 .270 Wby. From the 26" barrel the above load averages 3456 fps.
Posted By: ERK Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
Mine will push the 150 berger at 3295 with reloaded 22 powder. Pretty good bc on that bullet. Edk
Originally Posted by ERK
Mine will push the 150 berger at 3295 with reloaded 22 powder. Pretty good bc on that bullet. Edk
Those same 150 Bergers have performed magnificently for me at around that speed. From close range to just over 600 yds.
Posted By: OGB Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
Thanks fellas. Think this one may come home with me.

It's only money and I've never seen a luggage rack or a trailer hitch on a hurse.

I've said this elsewhere but the only gun purchases I regret are the ones I didn't buy.
OGB, do you know if the rifle has a 24" or 26" barrel?
24" (as advertised)
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/01/23
Having owned a couple Weatherby chambered rifles (Win 70s in 240 and 257) I'd say buy it for the rifle, not the chambering. Weatherby ammo and components are expensive and hard to find, there are better cartridge options out there now, like the 6.8 Western, 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, 280 AI, 7mm PRC and 7mm RM. Good luck!
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Having owned a couple Weatherby chambered rifles (Win 70s in 240 and 257) I'd say buy it for the rifle, not the chambering. Weatherby ammo and components are expensive and hard to find, there are better cartridge options out there now, like the 6.8 Western, 270 WSM, 7mm SAUM, 280 AI, 7mm PRC and 7mm RM. Good luck!

No argument there. I've got others that are more "practical". For me, this is sort of like buying an old corvette.

It's an itch I gotta scratch. May not be the best addiction but it sure beats meth!
Originally Posted by OGB
24" (as advertised)
Thanks.
I have a few rifles in the 270 weatherby. My father in law gave me one of his and my wife had bought one before we got married for her rifle both mark vs. I scored a deal on a barrel chambered in 270 wby as well so swapped out an older 7mm mag barrel on a rem 700. I have shot everything from coyotes, whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns and elk to now a moose with it. Actually my son shot the moose. I am attaching a picture though I have posted it before I just like the photos and was proud of my kid!

I realize the 270 caliber is handicapped as far as real extended range being the tweener between the 6.5 and 7 with the big BC bullets available to them. For hunting purposes and not trying to compete in long range stuff the 270 will hold its own. I used to shoot some of the more BC efficient 150s in it but you have to get quite a ways out to pass up the 130 grain bullets going 3400-3500 fps. Now that the 270 win can safely get the 150 to over 3000 fps with RL 26 powder the advantage the wby has it pushing the 130s fast. I like the Barnes 130 tsx, ttsx, and now the lrx. Holds together well at those velocities and works near to far. IMR 7828, RL 25, 26, 22 and Ramshot Magnum have all been good powders.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My son shot this moose broadside with a 110+ yard shot with the 129 LRX. As the moose was swaying he put one more insurance shot in its chest as it was facing us.
The first bullet passed through and never found the second bullet. I didn't see a pass through but lengthwise through a moose there is a lot of guts to lose a bullet in.

^^^excellent^^^

Thanks for the input. Was already considering the LRX. Will be looking for details on loads once I "make" some brass (might as well shoot a few factory loads to see what she likes)

Looking forward to "running retro"!
You can also fireform 7mm rem mag brass after necking it down for a cheaper option. I have used some 257 wby brass I sized up as well.
I had a 270 WBY Mag many years ago, well before I had a Chronograph or knew much of anything about reloading. I was at the top of manuals levels, though, it was a screamer.
Originally Posted by OGB
So, a bucket list gun is available. . . .

This right here answers the question - buy it!
Plenty of experience with 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Never wanted for more. Not too far above the 270.
I have a left hand German Mark V in 270wby. It shoots best with Barnes bullets, as do most of my older Weatherbys.

Tony
My 24" barreled mkV270 wthby mag sporter likes 150 gr Hornady sp and 7828 with fed 215 loaded to 3150fps.2 of my biggest whitetail bucks and 3 antelope...mb
Posted By: OGB Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
Couple/few things.

Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by OGB
So, a bucket list gun is available. . . .

This right here answers the question - buy it!

I did! Like I said before, my gun regrets are the ones that got away.

Originally Posted by Reloder28
Plenty of experience with 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Never wanted for more. Not too far above the 270.

My main reason for picking the 270 over the 7 is because it was the first. In the field I would use them interchangeably. Both are outstanding.

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
My 24" barreled mkV270 wthby mag sporter likes 150 gr Hornady sp and 7828 with fed 215 loaded to 3150fps.2 of my biggest whitetail bucks and 3 antelope...mb

Everyone seems to point at 7828, gonna need some.

Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I have a left hand German Mark V in 270wby. It shoots best with Barnes bullets, as do most of my older Weatherbys.

Tony

I suspect that Barnes bullets like a bit of jump and weatherbys accommodate that. (?) A 129LRX going faster than Superman does hold some appeal.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
7828 is your friend as other have said. Mines never seen a properly headstamped case, gets reformed 7RM. I have a good stash of 130 Etips I use in it. They have been excellent on a bunch of game from deer up through elk.
Not sure why but I have one in a mark v accumark. I had more money than sense back then i guess. Its a safe queen and I have only shot a box of rounds thru it. I bought 10 boxes weatherby ammo when I purchased the rifle. It is accurate so far. Way more gun than I need for Alabama whitetail. I only took it on one hunt and shot a doe on a poor angle of a quartering to shot. Bullet entered the front quarter exited the opposite rear quarter. Not much left for the freezer.
Posted By: WAM Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
I have 2 of its bigger brother; the 7mm Weatherby Magnum. I don’t think there is a ballistic advantage to either in the same bullet weight class. I’ve had great success with the 7mm WM on mule deer and elk with 150 gr TTSX loads. Never a run-off. One of our elk hunters used a .270 Wby with similar success. If I owned one of either one, I wouldn’t need the other.
An OEM Big Green 7mm RemMag will retain 2000fps of impact velocity to the 900yd line,make 1000 ft lbs of "energy" to the 1350yd line and stay supersonic to 2000yds...in yesterday's atmosphere. Hint............
Posted By: Fotis Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
I love mine

129 LRX at 3350 fps. Middle of the road load not a max
Posted By: Fotis Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
https://imgur.com/BqOlHB2

WBY terramark
https://imgur.com/gallery/h2E4eDN
Posted By: OGB Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/02/23
Nice!
Originally Posted by Fotis

Terramarks are shooters for sure. I have one in 257 was looking for a 270 or 6.5-300wby.
Originally Posted by Partagas
I have a few rifles in the 270 weatherby. My father in law gave me one of his and my wife had bought one before we got married for her rifle both mark vs. I scored a deal on a barrel chambered in 270 wby as well so swapped out an older 7mm mag barrel on a rem 700. I have shot everything from coyotes, whitetails, mule deer, pronghorns and elk to now a moose with it. Actually my son shot the moose. I am attaching a picture though I have posted it before I just like the photos and was proud of my kid!

I realize the 270 caliber is handicapped as far as real extended range being the tweener between the 6.5 and 7 with the big BC bullets available to them. For hunting purposes and not trying to compete in long range stuff the 270 will hold its own. I used to shoot some of the more BC efficient 150s in it but you have to get quite a ways out to pass up the 130 grain bullets going 3400-3500 fps. Now that the 270 win can safely get the 150 to over 3000 fps with RL 26 powder the advantage the wby has it pushing the 130s fast. I like the Barnes 130 tsx, ttsx, and now the lrx. Holds together well at those velocities and works near to far. IMR 7828, RL 25, 26, 22 and Ramshot Magnum have all been good powders.

My son shot this moose broadside with a 110+ yard shot with the 129 LRX. As the moose was swaying he put one more insurance shot in its chest as it was facing us.
The first bullet passed through and never found the second bullet. I didn't see a pass through but lengthwise through a moose there is a lot of guts to lose a bullet in.

Nice bull & really dark. That a Shiras? I saw a Shiras cow & calf in Rocky Mountain Park when the wife & I were there in 2017.
Yep a Shiras. NW Wyoming. Only a handful of miles from YNP.
Mine is a rem 700 in said chambering. Might not start over with it, but it's killed some critters. It's been good to me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]share image
Nice critters............

To the OP...................if you like the rifle buy it. The round will do all you need for any
non-DG game.

I've killed a lot of animals, including moose, with the 270 Win & the Wby is just more of a good thing no matter what bullet you like.

There are plenty of bullets of all types readily available to choose from, & the BC of many is plenty good enough for all sane ranges on game.

I'm neither a belted cartridge fan nor a Wby fan, but that's just my preference, nothing wrong with either, IMO.

MM
Posted By: TheKid Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/03/23
I’m in the same camp as Rickshaw. I barreled mine up because I had a blank I didn’t pay anything for and a rifle with a pitted and rusted bore and a magnum bolt face. I didn’t have any money but I had the time and the tools to do the work myself.

I probably wouldn’t go that route again knowing what I know now. But it has always been a reliable and effective killer.
Posted By: Dufur Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/03/23
Peterson case, 124 hammer hunter, 74 gr reloder 23 (compressed), cci250, OAL 3.308
3620 fps
Not a "long range" 1000 yd load but good aim on hair 0-400 yd type load.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/03/23
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Fotis

Terramarks are shooters for sure. I have one in 257 was looking for a 270 or 6.5-300wby.

Checked my notes. My latest load is with reloader 22 129 LRX at 3450 it produces .41 "average at 100 yd
Have the 270 & the 300. If you reload , why not!
OGB, send me an email Monday afternoon...I'm pretty sure I have some extra .270 Wby brass.

[email protected]
Posted By: OGB Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/05/23
Originally Posted by Jason280
OGB, send me an email Monday afternoon...I'm pretty sure I have some extra .270 Wby brass.

[email protected]

Thanks, that would definitely get the ball rolling for me!
Posted By: JGray Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/05/23
I started with the 130 TSX in mine but use the 130 TTSX or 129 LRX these days. Sub MOA at around 3500 fps with RE 25 or 26. It scratched an itch I had at the time...

Posted By: OGB Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/05/23
I really appreciate all the input. It is 3 pages of real world experience.

Will be hitting you guys up about the particulars of loading WBY ammo.

Looks like I'll be in good company.

Oh, and for all the critter pics, very nice. Appears to be a fairly versatile round.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/05/23
Originally Posted by JGray
I started with the 130 TSX in mine but use the 130 TTSX or 129 LRX these days. Sub MOA at around 3500 fps with RE 25 or 26. It scratched an itch I had at the time...

But, but, but ...... that can't be. those bullets do not have a .869 G1 BC. 😂
We know we all need that these days In order to accomplish anything in the shooting world including shooting deer @ 50 yd. The world according to Big Stick
Posted By: JGray Re: Talk to me about the 270WBY - 03/05/23
I pushed the distance on that shot - closer to 80 yds. Bull was walking straight away so had to wait for him to turn slightly. Entrance in front of hip and recovered bullet under hide in front of off shoulder. Shot a 3x4 mulie later the same day at less than 50 yds - it died too.
The 270 Roy was born about 1943 or so. Amazing an 80 year old cartridge still measures up quite well to all the new whiz bang newbies inside of 600 yards, of which 98+ % of all hunting is done. This is a hunting round, not a target round. Yea I have one, I like it. My self imposed range is 500 yards, up from what it used to be what with LRF's and dial scopes. The 270 Roy will easily get it done within those parameters. Has an undeniable cool factor too.
© 24hourcampfire