Home
Subject says it all as far as what I'm mulling. Got a pair of 260s in hand that I procured before the Creedmoor become such a mainstay. I have no issues with the 260 other than availability of factory ammo. Not that I don't load for the rifles, but sometimes it's nice to have an OTC ammo option.

PS- I wish Berger was still offering their 260 ammo with Scenar bullets in Lapua cases...
Sure; all you have to do is set the barrel back about 3/8 inch. GD
Thank you for that info! I realized it'd likely have to be setback, but didn't know how much.
What twist are these .260s ?
Just screw on a 6.5 creed barrel.
Originally Posted by sbhooper
This unless your 260 is fast twist
You didn't mention what action these rifles had. For the money to be set back, I'd just buy a new barrel and keep the .260 barrel. If Remington actions, look at Criterion and put a Remage barrel on. $400 and some tools and you can swap your own barrel.

You also run the risk of the .260 barrel being a 9 twist if a factory barrel. If it is, you may not be able to stabilize the longer 140s.
Both are 8" twist. One's a factory Tikka T3 and the other is an aftermarket barrel on a Savage 10.

Thanks everyone for the information. I may go the rebarrel route, but am happy with how these shoot so thought a rechamber may work.
Rechamber might cost pretty close to what an Shilen savage barrel will cost from Northland.

If the savage is feeding from an internal mag the creed may or may not feed as smoothly vs the 260. I seem to have to adjust the mag box lips on Remingtons if they are setup for a 308 based cartridge and I try to run a 6 or 6.5 creed in them.

You'll definitely save money on ammo in the long run.
Originally Posted by Fotis

What has that got to do with anything? Twist is preference, and has nothing to do with switching barrels. He wants to get away from the .260.
Originally Posted by Fotis

What has that got to do with anything? Twist is preference, and has nothing to do with switching barrels. He wants to get away from the .260.
It has a lot to do with it.
If they were old school 1:9 or 1:10 they may not stabilize the newer long heavy bullets that are available today.
Lucky for the OP, they are 1:8

I'd shoot them both as is and verify that they were shooters before going ahead with the rechamber.
Originally Posted by devnull
You didn't mention what action these rifles had. For the money to be set back, I'd just buy a new barrel and keep the .260 barrel. If Remington actions, look at Criterion and put a Remage barrel on. $400 and some tools and you can swap your own barrel.

You also run the risk of the .260 barrel being a 9 twist if a factory barrel. If it is, you may not be able to stabilize the longer 140s.

My Rem 260 VLS has NEVER had a problem stabilizing ANY 140 grain bullet I've ran thru it...and its twist is one in 9.
My other 4 rifles in 260 Rem have one in 9 twists...
sounds like a backwards move , If I came into possession of any 6.5 Creed rifle It would scream to the gunsmiths and be drilled out to 260 in a milisec, then I'd take a DeWalt cordless grinder & grind off that effn name, make a flat spot & use a sharpie to write in 260 Rem
I know we all have our preferences and we should. It just continues to amaze me how some people can be so disturbed by a regular factory chambering…..lol. I don’t have a 6.5 creedmoor myself but sure think it’s a nice chambering for most things. Even more so if someone shoots factory ammo.
Save the money for a reloading setup. It's time you stop relying on others to provide you ammo. Factory or otherwise. You asked..mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Save the money for a reloading setup. It's time you stop relying on others to provide you ammo. Factory or otherwise. You asked..mb
Originally Posted by pointer
Not that I don't load for the rifles, but sometimes it's nice to have an OTC ammo option.
JFC

You tell him Bob. Lol. He clearly does load but don’t let that keep you from a good rant.
He makes his own primers, cases, powder, and bullets don'tcha know. Ain't gonna rely on nobody!
Lol
If I was wanting something different I would punch the tikka to 6.5x284. But the reality is paying a gunsmith $400 just to rechmber the old barrel doesn’t seem like a good idea. However I would want to use the full length tikka for something longer than the 260
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
If I was wanting something different I would punch the tikka to 6.5x284. But the reality is paying a gunsmith $400 just to rechmber the old barrel doesn’t seem like a good idea. However I would want to use the full length tikka for something longer than the 260

Because the 6.5-284 has so many more factory offerings than the 260 does? Or you didn’t read the mans post either?
I am not the one ranting or whining he asked for advice and I gave it. 260 is a good enough round but factory ammo is up there in that 40-50 dollar a box range just like 257 rbts, 25-06, 35 Remington, 6mm rem , 300 sav and a whole host of other good cartridges. Never mind the price of the short mags and others. Rechambering, rebarreling or and other work that costs serious money to modify to something else doesn't make much sense. Want a creed buy one, their everywhere those 260's will bring damn good money. Probably gain on the deal financially. Last 2 years should have proved to anybody with a lick a sense that you can't rely on factory ammo to be availible as a option other than 308 and 223. I watched the shelves pretty hard last time those 2 in fmj loads were the only ones you could count on being availible. 6.5 creed was a hit or miss offering too although not as bad as 243,270 ,30-06 30-30 and others commonly stocked. The ammunition companies make and sell the highest demand cartridges 1st and last , there is no reliable factory option you can count on finding any time you want. They take care of high demand target shooters and their ammo needs long before hunters and what they want and need. The answer is damn simple reload or buy a pile so you allways have what you need. You all can scream and shout all you want but the truth is there to see...mb
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Because the 6.5-284 has so many more factory offerings than the 260 does? Or you didn’t read the mans post either?
people that rechamber, do custom barrels Typically want to load it.

I'd go PRC before the X284 due to the availability of factory ammo.
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by pointer
Not that I don't load for the rifles, but sometimes it's nice to have an OTC ammo option.
JFC
Thanks for pointing that out. lol. You might even recognize one of the rifles...
Unless you changed TheBigSky's paint job. smile
Lol
It took me a while, but I'm starting to think those with magnumitis have some idiosyncrasies. Bet he's an anti-suppressorite too.
Unless you changed TheBigSky's paint job. smile
Only change is a few extra scratches! That rifle has changed my opinion on certain things pertaining to what I like in a rifle. It's almost too easy.
I am amazed that such a simple , straightforward job, has become so difficult to contemplate. Changing times, I guess. GD
Lol
It took me a while, but I'm starting to think those with magnumitis have some idiosyncrasies. Bet he's an anti-suppressorite too.
Haha I’m sure you’re right. Funny how those who use them love them and those who haven’t hate them.
© 24hourcampfire