Home
Posted By: KB64 Win Model 70 barrel diameter - 03/09/23
Does anyone know offhand the barrel diameter of a standard/sporter barrel and a heavy/varmint barrel ? Wanting to restock and early 70’s Model 70 and I can find several stocks for heavy barrel guns with 1 piece bottom metal.

Curious as to how big the gap would be ?
The main measurement is the shank - which, on sporter barrels was 1.15" in diam.. (NH rifles). I've seen muzzle diam's anywhere from .575-.625 (sporters).. HB muzzle (on the ones I had) were .60-.750+, IIRC... I just sold my last HB about a month ago so I can't measure it directly..
Originally Posted by KB64
Does anyone know offhand the barrel diameter of a standard/sporter barrel and a heavy/varmint barrel ? Wanting to restock and early 70’s Model 70 and I can find several stocks for heavy barrel guns with 1 piece bottom metal.

Curious as to how big the gap would be ?

Sounds like you need a standard stock with 2 piece bottom metal. Where have you been looking? I've seen many stocks that would fit your rifle. Just sold one in fact, to a good guy here. Maybe put a "WTB" add in the classifieds here and be specific in what you are looking for. Are you looking for a wood stock, synthetic, tupperware, any particular brand???
Posted By: KB64 Re: Win Model 70 barrel diameter - 03/10/23
Prefer synthetic or possibly laminated. It’s for an early 70’s .243 that originally had a blind magazine. Have 1 pc bottom metal coming.
© 24hourcampfire